Topics

To upgrade from version 3.4 #206 to version 4.1 or not?

Hi Ashley and Kosta,

I hope Baby Theodore is settling in and letting you get some sleep. My first son was very colicky and I made it my task to walk him around and sing to him to calm him down. If I sang the theme to Gilligan's Island once, I must have sung it a thousand times. We won't dwell on whether it was helpful or made things worse.

I'm currently running version 3.4 #206 of the Flicktype Keyboard on my iPhone 8 with iOS 12.1. I'm not a fan of upgrading apps when they are doing what I need and I have to confess that I'm no longer downloading any Flicktype versions other than what's available from the Apps Store. I don't have an Apple Watch and I use the full screen version of the Flicktype Keyboard.

With the above in mind, can you comment whether the version 4.1 will offer me anything new without my giving up anything? I realize that one can't stay on old versions of apps forever but I've come to learn that timing one's upgrades can be beneficial.

Thanks for anything you can share.

Alan Lemly

Hi Alan,

I have also been practicing my singing, and surprisingly it seems that Theodore likes it, smile.

With regards to upgrading, it's a fair question. You can always check the changelogs from the App Store, and we generally keep older versions on TestFlight that you can access using the "Previous Builds" option in case you need to revert for any reason. In any case, below are the changes from the two versions that have followed since 3.4, so you can decide if you want to upgrade.

- Kosta

4.1 Nov 14, 2018
• Improved behavior in numerical fields, such as currency fields in financial apps. Please let us know what you think!
• Added "Theodore" to the dictionary. My wife and I just had a new baby, and guess what we named him, smile :)

4.0 Nov 7, 2018
• Brand new Apple Watch companion app. You can now send messages straight from your watch!
• Performance improvements to make FlickType even more snappy.
• Updated instructions.
• Reduced memory usage.
• Dictionary improvements.
• Fixed some typing issues when using the half-screen mode.
• Removed "Minimal" size setting, and renamed "Half screen" to "Standard".
• Workaround for iOS bug where switching keyboards is impossible on text fields that expect numbers. FlickType will now dismiss the keyboard instead of attempting to switch to the next keyboard, since the latter would cause a freeze.
• Added announcement when changing keyboard layouts (numbers, uppercase, lowercase etc).
• Removed "Dismiss" key setting - the dismiss key will now automatically appear when in "Full screen" mode only.
• Replaced "Done" button in "Settings" tab with a "Dismiss" button that only appears when editing the emoji shortcuts.
• Renamed "Demo" tab to "Type".
• Other bug fixes.

Kosta,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'm sure Theodore very much enjoys your dulcet tones and I know you enjoy singing to him.

I'll go ahead and update since the list below is quite extensive and I'm not using anything in my current version that's gone away from what you've described.

Enjoy your new son and thanks again for FlickType and how it makes typing fast and fun.