Topics

New release: An entirely new sound treatment has arrived with build 29!

Edited

App changes follow below. Please report all your feedback by replying to this topic. Thank you for testing FlickType!

In this release:
- Complete revamp of of all sound effects: taps, deletions, errors, and more. Tell us what you think!
- Deletion announcements will now always use a lower pitch, and will not use the word "Deleted". You can turn that back on from the settings.
- Updated deletion sound effect, hopefully this is less intrusive. Thanks Serina! You can now also turn it off from the settings.
- Words with numbers and symbols will now be announced correctly and in detail, even if they contain no letters.
- Spelling of words now uses a higher pitch.
- Apostrophes in contractions like "it's" will be announced. Thanks Alan!
- Capital letter announcements will use the shorthand "cap" prefix instead of the full word "capital".
- Fixed pronunciation of colon symbol. Thanks Yana!
- Fixed wrong iPhone X keyboard positioning when in landscape mode.
- Added a few more words to the dictionary.

Notable earlier changes:
- Improved instructions
- Fixed stale text being read back when switching back to the app with "Copy & Clear on exit" on
- Moved keyboard higher on iPhone X to better match the system keyboard position
- Fixed repeating hint message on iPhone X
- Fixed haptic toggle sometimes not being respected
- Added new setting for haptic feedback, on by default
- Added setting to toggle the existing keyboard click sounds
- Added feedback when tapping and holding on the keyboard to accurately choose characters
- Disabled proximity sensor when keyboard is dismissed (ie when using the menu options). Thanks Ravi!
- Renamed "Auto-copy& clear" setting to "Copy & clear on exit". Thanks Peter!
- Fix occasional issue where you could not longer type upon returning from app switching. Please let us know if you are still experiencing similar issues.

Please report all your feedback by replying to this topic. Thank you for testing FlickType!

Kosta & Ashley

PS: Don't forget to invite your friends to beta@...! The more testers we have, the faster we can improve the app.

George Cham

I like the new sound effects in this new version.
I can feel the haptic feedback on the I phone 8 it's very strong.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

________________________________
App changes follow below. Please report all your feedback through the TestFlight app, using the "Send Beta Feedback" option. Thank you for testing FlickType!

[...]

Rebecca Ilniski <rilniski@...>

I love this new sound scheme and the new releases get better every time.

Rebecca and Zeb
email: rilniski@...
Twitter: applegirl1994

On Apr 6, 2018, at 8:35 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

[...]

Brandon Cross

I can't say I like the new sounds to be honest, though the typing is the
least of the problems. It is just a bit loud for my taste, the older one
was quiet, but I could get used to that. The deletion sound though, I
really don't like that at all, not only is it loud, its very high pitched
almost to the point of being painful.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 7:55 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Changed the preferred feedback channel to be through replying to
this topic, rather than through the TestFlight app]

[...]

Thank you Brandon. For now you can turn off the deletion sound from the
setting, and we will be adding the old sounds back as an option in the next
release.

And just a general note for now as well as in the future, you can always
revert back to the previous release if you just go to TestFlight and select
"Previous builds" towards the bottom of the page.

- Kosta

http://flicktype.com
Invite your friends to beta@... today!
Follow us @FlickType <https://twitter.com/FlickType> for the latest updates!
Join the discussion: https://groups.io/g/flicktype

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Sciabarrasi

Hello. I am a voiceover user and I just attempted to use flicktype with voiceover enabled. The app does not seem to be compatible with voiceover. Is this app meant to be used with voiceover turned off? When I tapp on a key, it doesn’t type the letter unless I double tap on it. Also, sometimes no matter where I tap on the screen it just says ready to type. Also, when I swipe up with 2 fingers with voiceover turned on it doesn’t bring me to the menu.

The app is meant to be used with VoiceOver enabled, and we'd love to get it working for you. Some folks have previously mentioned that active or assistive touch settings might interfere with the app. Do you have any such accessibility settings enabled?

- Kosta

Rocco Fiorentino

Hi all, loving the new release and FlickType in general; in fact, I'm using the app to type this message. I'm also extremely grateful for the amount of enthusiasm and responsiveness from the developers, I truly appreciate your passion for the app and user support. Having said that, I have a few general thoughts:

1. I love the new sounds. However, can there be a different sound other than the keyboard clicks for when a two finger swipe is performed to access the menu? Not a huge deal, but just food for thought.
2. Speaking of the menu, is the tap an hold gesture still supposed to exist to bring up the menu? I love the swipe up, but feel like it could get annoying for new users who may be manually trying to enter something and go outside the range of the keyboard. I only discovered this gesture by accident.
3. I like the announcement of contractions, but I wish only the's was announced because of VoiceOver's default lack of pronouncing it. I think words like I'm or aren't would be better pronounced normally, as before. Not sure if this makes sense? If I need to clarify please let me know. :)

On another note, like others have mentioned, it took me a while to get groups. Io to cooperate and allow me to reply /post. I finally got it but not initially user friendly. I'll reply to that respective topic tomorrow. Thank you again for bringing this back and bringing a much needed typing revamp to iOS.

Daniel McGee

Hi Kosta & Ashley
Would it be possible to have a toggle for the pitch for spell words in settings?
I have just updated to the latest build and liked how words were spelled out before. Its a hearing aid thing for me that's all. The lower the pitch the better. So how it was before the latest build was fine for me.
Besides that, I don't mind the new sound effects. Actually find the tapping of the keys when typing to be quite a bit louder witch I consider to be a bonus for me.
Thanks for redding and keep up the amazing work!
Daniel
_____________________________
[...]

Shameless FanGirl

Good evening,

I appreciate the new sounds, because, as I’ve said before, they are a much-needed break with what had been there since the beginning. I appreciate the new typing sound (the one now present in landscape mode) because it’s easy to hear when I’m working in louder environments such as in transit, in the midst of a lot of people, etc. I am experiencing something interesting though with the usage of lightning earphones. This isn’t exclusively a flicktype issue, but something which sometimes happens with sounds generally, and I’m curious as to whether or not anyone else has seen, or is seeing this. When I use my phone and flicktype via the handset only, (no earphones) the sounds are very pronounced. Yet when I plug in my EarPods, they’re muted almost to the point of inaudibility. I have auto-ducking turned off, so yeah, this is annoying to me, because I am a geek, and am having fun with the new sound options...just wish I could enjoy them privately. Lol

Thanks guys for a great app, and for, as I once said before, returning me to my texting input roots

Angie

On Apr 7, 2018, at 8:34 PM, Rocco Fiorentino <roccof466@...> wrote:

[...]

Trenton Matthews

When I use headphones with my iPod touch, I made sure to turn up the sound volume for sounds and notifications to 100to make sure sounds were being heard.

I typing this message via FlickType while a brown noise sleep machine is in the background in my headphones, and I am not doing too bad with typing!