My experience with FlickType Watch app post iOS 15.3 update

Hi List,

I agree that the FlickType Watch app is better after the iOS 15.3 upgrade on my iPhone 13 Mini. However, I still noticed that the first typed word using it isn’t pronounced correctly and it doesn’t speak the period typed at the end of any sentence. It does speak later words correctly and any that are announced as predictive alternatives as you single finger flick down. It seemed much slower on my iPhone than FlickType Classic and its keyboard for typing did not seem to appear as quickly or as reliably as I would like. I uninstalled it after testing it.

Another problem I had with the FlickType watch app is every time I opened it, it took over two minutes to load and then populated my FlickType Classic app with a three thousand word custom dictionary which also made FlickType Classic load very slowly. Also the iPhone got hot while each app loaded.
After many attempts I finally was able to clear the dictionary, which cleared on both apps. I deleted the FlickType watch app and only use my favorite version of FlickType... FlickType Classic.
It should be in the app store!

On Jan 27, 2022, at 10:36 AM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Hi List,

I agree that the FlickType Watch app is better after the iOS 15.3 upgrade on my iPhone 13 Mini. However, I still noticed that the first typed word using it isn’t pronounced correctly and it doesn’t speak the period typed at the end of any sentence. It does speak later words correctly and any that are announced as predictive alternatives as you single finger flick down. It seemed much slower on my iPhone than FlickType Classic and its keyboard for typing did not seem to appear as quickly or as reliably as I would like. I uninstalled it after testing it.

Alan Lemly

Samanthia Farthing

Actually I have never been able to find the FlickType classic app. I was a beta tester for a long time, so I thought that version was the same as the classic app you've talked about, but it doesn't show up in my purchased apps, and I can't find it when I just search for it in the app store either. If anyone can provide a link to FlickType classic. I'd really appreciate it.

On Jan 27, 2022, at 3:58 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Samantha,
I’m sorry, but the FlickType Classic app is no longer available. As the name implies, it was the original version of FlickType, and app that you could type and export text to various other text fields. When Kosta developed the FlickType that would work in various text fields, most people moved to it. For a short period of time however, and I don’t remember exactly what happened, he gave us a FlickType Classic as a stopgap measure for when the Fliktype extension was not working well. I think it was only in App Store for about a month or two.

In my opinion, and I did a lot of typing on FlickType, it is by far the best incarnation of Fliktype. It works perfectly every time! It works with every  iOS!, And it is actually a faster typing keyboard than any of the other versions of Fliktype!
Flicktype extension keyboard worked in about 99% of all text fields, but there were a few that it did not work in well.  But Fliktype classic works perfectly all the time!
 There are a few gestures that are different in FlickType Classic, for example you cannot insert a line by swiping right and holding, you have to hit the new line button in the lower right hand corner, and a few other things are different, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s the best!

My suggestion is anybody who wants to get Fliktype classic right to Kosta at hello@..., and perhaps if enough people will ask, maybe he can put it back into the App Store as a stopgap measure.
I’ve sent a few emails to Kosta asking him to restore it in the App Store, and even offered to buy it from him and rebrand it as something else, but for some reason he doesn’t want to. It’s his baby, it’s his prerogative!

On Jan 27, 2022, at 2:16 PM, Samanthia Farthing via groups.io <sammy_farthing@...> wrote:

[...]

Eileen Misrahi

Hi All,

When I first began with FlickType, I had the original classic version. However, when the Apple Watch version was released, it installed over the classic version. Frown!! So, when experts on this list suggested to change the settings to have the text copy to the clipboard and assign a gesture to paste it where I wanted it to go, I hopped on it immediately. Thanks Chuck and others for that solution. It works like a charm and a great work around. I too would like the classic version to be once again in the app store, so I could download it again. Will take your advice Chuck and will email Kosla. It just may take a village to convince him to do it.
Thanks in advance.