Topics

mad about removal of watch app

Jessica D

Hi,
My name is Jessica.
I just saw an update in the app store for flicktype, which is good.
What's not good, and quite frankly, makes me mad is the unannounced removal of the watch app.
I really loved this part of flicktype.
It was nice to be able to type right on my Apple watch series 4.
Is this part of the app gone for good, or will it return?

Tony Hernandez

Hi Jessica and all,

The Watch Companion has been separated into a paid download for $2.99 called FlickType Notes for Watch. I didn't hesitate to buy it, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Here's the link on the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/flicktype-notes-for-watch/id1453148171

On 1/11/2020 7:55 AM, Jessica D wrote:
Hi,
My name is Jessica.
I just saw an update in the app store for flicktype, which is good.
What's not good, and quite frankly, makes me mad is the unannounced removal of the watch app.
I really loved this part of flicktype.
It was nice to be able to type right on my Apple watch series 4.
Is this part of the app gone for good, or will it return?

Tony Hernandez

Jessica D

Hi,
Where do typed notes go?
Does this also require installing an app on the iphone?

On Jan 11, 2020, at 9:13 AM, Tony Hernandez <tonyhspeaks@...> wrote:

Hi Jessica and all,

The Watch Companion has been separated into a paid download for $2.99 called FlickType Notes for Watch. I didn't hesitate to buy it, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Here's the link on the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/flicktype-notes-for-watch/id1453148171

On 1/11/2020 7:55 AM, Jessica D wrote:
Hi,
My name is Jessica.
I just saw an update in the app store for flicktype, which is good.
What's not good, and quite frankly, makes me mad is the unannounced removal of the watch app.
I really loved this part of flicktype.
It was nice to be able to type right on my Apple watch series 4.
Is this part of the app gone for good, or will it return?

Tony Hernandez

Tony Hernandez

I just downloaded it on my iPhone. I assume it will install on my watch

automatically. I just got it a short while ago and don't have time to check it out yet, but after work I will.

--
Tony Hernandez

Harry Bell

I’ve installed it on my Apple Watch but when I open the app on my watch and double tap to create a new note, the keyboard does come up but voiceover says nothing when I tap the  keyboard, nothing works. I’ve restarted the watch but still no joy. Have I missed something?
Harry

On 11 Jan 2020, at 14:13, Tony Hernandez <tonyhspeaks@...> wrote:

Hi Jessica and all,

The Watch Companion has been separated into a paid download for $2.99 called FlickType Notes for Watch. I didn't hesitate to buy it, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Here's the link on the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/flicktype-notes-for-watch/id1453148171

On 1/11/2020 7:55 AM, Jessica D wrote:
Hi,
My name is Jessica.
I just saw an update in the app store for flicktype, which is good.
What's not good, and quite frankly, makes me mad is the unannounced removal of the watch app.
I really loved this part of flicktype.
It was nice to be able to type right on my Apple watch series 4.
Is this part of the app gone for good, or will it return?

Tony Hernandez

Jessica D

Hi Harri,
What series is your watch
I don't have the app yet, but I'd be using it on a series 4.

On Jan 11, 2020, at 10:35 AM, Harry Bell via Groups.Io <ubupanoramix@...> wrote:

[...]

My watch is series four

On 11 Jan 2020, at 15:40, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

[...]

Do you also know why they made the watch app a separate purchase?

Thanks,
Jessica Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 11, 2020, at 11:11 AM, Harry Bell via Groups.Io <ubupanoramix@...> wrote:

[...]

I’ve discovered that the Flicktype watch app works if voiceover is turned off bit I can’t get it to work when voiceover is turned on. And I need VoiceOver! Can they have just made it for sighted folk? Or is there some setting I’ve not discovered?
Harry

On 11 Jan 2020, at 16:31, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

Hi,
Do you know if or when they'll do away with the subscriptions, like Apple wants them to?
[...]

Eileen Misrahi

Hi All,

Thanks Harry for reporting on what you have found so far with FlickType using the watch. I too have a Series 4 and will hold off on the purchase until I hear further feedback from the list.

Again, thanks.

Best,
Eileen

If they do away with the subscription then they make no more money as opposed to making very little and I don’t think it takes a lot of guess work to figure out what that will mean.

Maybe if they won the Lottery they can then keep it up as a hobby, but with what are probably a few hundred users and $1 a month or $10 a year you can do the math, even with a thousand users that works out to $10 or $12,000, hardly a skilled worker’s wage.

[...]

That may be why they separated the watch companion app. It looks like there's still some work that needs to be done on it at first blush, but I have faith in Kosta and Ashley, and anyway it's only $3. Perhaps they will have some other streams of income like other apps with a subscription model to try and help offset the loss of income from Apple's ridiculous objections to the implementation of FlickType's subscription functionality. It burns me up that they've had to be so rigid about that at the App Store's ivory tower of policy.

[...]

Here is my guess, and this is only a guess!
Perhaps Kosta has developed the Fliktype app for the watch to become a main stream app that sighted people will buy in order to have a keyboard on your watch. Therefore that money that comes in could be used to finance the Fliktype app that we, the blind and visually impaired community use. Perhaps in the future we will not  to see a subscription, or perhaps we will see a one time purchase price, if the Fliktype notes app for the watch takes off and is able to   Support Fliktype
 But, let’s not jump to any conclusions, be patient, and see what happens. Remember this update just came out yesterday, there may be more coming in the very near future.

On Jan 11, 2020, at 9:36 AM, Harry Bell via Groups.Io <ubupanoramix@...> wrote:

[...]

Kosta Eleftheriou

Hi Jessica.

Apologies for the inconvenience. The watch app will come back shortly.

I should also note that we have dropped the subscription and the app is now $2.99. Additionally, anyone who previously downloaded the app and didn’t purchase a subscription should now be able to get the app for free.

More to come soon.
- Kosta

On Jan 11, 2020, at 4:55 AM, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

Hi,
My name is Jessica.
I just saw an update in the app store for flicktype, which is good.
What's not good, and quite frankly, makes me mad is the unannounced removal of the watch app.
I really loved this part of flicktype.
It was nice to be able to type right on my Apple watch series 4.
Is this part of the app gone for good, or will it return?

Jessica D

Hi,
People are saying that the flicktype notes app doesn't work with voiceover.
Is that true?
Was this done intentionally?

So the flicktype notes app, is also flicktype on iphone/ipad?

On Jan 11, 2020, at 12:19 PM, Kosta Eleftheriou <kostas.eleftheriou@...> wrote:

Hi Jessica.

Apologies for the inconvenience. The watch app will come back shortly.

I should also note that we have dropped the subscription and the app is now $2.99. Additionally, anyone who previously downloaded the app and didn’t purchase a subscription should now be able to get the app for free.

More to come soon.
- Kosta

On Jan 11, 2020, at 4:55 AM, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

Hi,
My name is Jessica.
I just saw an update in the app store for flicktype, which is good.
What's not good, and quite frankly, makes me mad is the unannounced removal of the watch app.
I really loved this part of flicktype.
It was nice to be able to type right on my Apple watch series 4.
Is this part of the app gone for good, or will it return?

Gina Grunden

I think that is pretty nice that the subscription has been Dropped, and that the app is just one Flat price. I think that people need to Be More Grateful because the developers work on the alapp lifeand time permitting. All that to say keep up the excellent work Kosta and Ashley.

[...]

The new notes app is not yet fully accessible but will be soon.

- Kosta

On Jan 11, 2020, at 9:42 AM, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Kosta!
I love your iPhone FlickType app, so I’m glad you are being so active and inventive again!
Regards
Harry
York
UK

On 11 Jan 2020, at 17:46, Kosta Eleftheriou <kostas.eleftheriou@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello,
I was wondering if I could become a tester for flicktype Notes?
I want to ensure that this app becomes the stays fully accessible With VoiceOver.

Typed withFlickType on my iPhone 11 ?

On Jan 11, 2020, at 12:46 PM, Kosta Eleftheriou <kostas.eleftheriou@...> wrote:

[...]

You and anyone else interested can become a tester for FlickType Notes for Watch here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/4DvMpMl2

As I mentioned before, the watch app is not yet fully accessible but I am working on this as we speak.

- Kosta