Topics

FlickType Container app not working on my iPhone 8

Hi List,

I'm running iOS 13.3 on my iPhone 8 and in the process of looking into Luke's and Paula's issue, I attempted to open my FlickType Container app. When I did, my screen was totally frozen with Voiceover speaking nothing on the FlickType screen. Voiceover did speak the topline status bar but that was it. I removed FlickType from the Apps switcher and then opened the FlickType Classic app and got the same result. I then uninstalled the FlickType Classic app thinking it might be the problem since it predates the Container app but this caused no change. I also did a hard reset of my iPhone with no change in the Container app freeze. I'm hesitant to uninstall and reinstall the Container app since my FlickType Keyboard is working perfectly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello Alan,
Hi Ellen,
How long did you play with the container app? When I open the container app it takeHi Ellen,
How long did you play with the container app? When I open the container app it takes almost 15 to 20 seconds before anything will happen. This is because I have an extremely large dictionary and it takes a long time to load. I remember Kosta found this almost unacceptable, but could not figure out how to shorten the time

On Dec 19, 2019, at 8:24 AM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Hi List,

I'm running iOS 13.3 on my iPhone 8 and in the process of looking into Luke's and Paula's issue, I attempted to open my FlickType Container app. When I did, my screen was totally frozen with Voiceover speaking nothing on the FlickType screen. Voiceover did speak the topline status bar but that was it. I removed FlickType from the Apps switcher and then opened the FlickType Classic app and got the same result. I then uninstalled the FlickType Classic app thinking it might be the problem since it predates the Container app but this caused no change. I also did a hard reset of my iPhone with no change in the Container app freeze. I'm hesitant to uninstall and reinstall the Container app since my FlickType Keyboard is working perfectly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello again,
I just timed how long it took to open the FlickType container app. Once I double tapped on the icon, I got no response for 26 seconds.

This is because I have an extremely large dictionary. About every six months I clear out my dictionary and the loading time is much reduced.

On Dec 19, 2019, at 9:40 AM, Chuck Dean via Groups.Io <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Lemly

Chuck,

Thanks so much for telling me to give the container app time when opening it. I counted 30 Mississippi's before Voiceover began speaking. I guess I must have an extensive custom dictionary as well. Not surprising since FlickType is supposed to save any new words typed into it and I use it quite extensively.

Alan Lemly

[...]

Gordon

Yeah I just deleted my dictionary. I wish we could select all and do in one sweep. But if you put some good music on you enjoy and get started, you can get it done pretty fast. LOL

On 12/19/2019 3:15 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:

[...]

Luke Davis

There are definite annoyances in the dictionary interface.
Not the least of which is that it seems impossible to delete the last word alphabetically.
Also the no edit with select all for bulk deletion, and the rogue "insert" button for one of the words that shows up while swiping but not while dragging.

Given that this app is on a subscription model, there really should be some active development, or some way of contacting support directly with feature suggestions or serious problems.
The last update was one year ago according to the AppStore, which is not comforting.

Luke

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, Gordon wrote:

Yeah I just deleted my dictionary. I wish we could select all and do in one sweep. But if you put some good music on you enjoy and get started, you can get
it done pretty fast.

Tony Hernandez

Hi Luke,

Kosta and Ashley do monitor this list, but they've had a rough go of it in the last year or two, including hospitalization-level illness. FlickType development has unfortunately been understandably slow because of it, since it's a two-person team keeping up with a very demanding set of circumstances. I hope FlickType development under Kosta and Ashley gets back to its previous pace because it will mean that their personal difficulties have improved or resolved.

--
Tony Hernandez