Topics

Beta tester

aldrien lim <aldrienlim@...>

Hello Flicktype,

First of all you make a huge difference from my typing activity, and I congratulate you guys! But I have some suggestion that you might consider. Can I be a beta tester to help you guys about some future improvements. Is that a good idea to add the dictation feature of ios keyboard.

Sincerely, Aldrien

Shawn Krasniuk

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using FlickType if some sort of dictation feature were added into the app?

On Jul 7, 2018, at 11:09 PM, aldrien lim <aldrienlim@...> wrote:

Hello Flicktype,

First of all you make a huge difference from my typing activity, and I congratulate you guys! But I have some suggestion that you might consider. Can I be a beta tester to help you guys about some future improvements. Is that a good idea to add the dictation feature of ios keyboard.

Sincerely, Aldrien

You can always incorporate dictation at any time by changing to the iOS keyboard. Including it in FlickType would be redundant and complex.

Chuck

On Jul 7, 2018, at 9:09 PM, aldrien lim <aldrienlim@...> wrote:

Hello Flicktype,

First of all you make a huge difference from my typing activity, and I congratulate you guys! But I have some suggestion that you might consider. Can I be a beta tester to help you guys about some future improvements. Is that a good idea to add the dictation feature of ios keyboard.

Sincerely, Aldrien

Rocco Fiorentino

Well, as far down the road as this may be, I could actually see some kind of dictation implementation being useful, either so that I didn't have to switch keyboards just to press the button, or especially if someone plans to completely remove the iOS keyboard all together and only use FlickType, which I think is the eventual goal. I'll have to look into whether or not apple will even let third party keyboards have access to dictation... Interesting food for thought.

On Jul 8, 2018, at 11:59 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello,
You can always incorporate dictation at any time by changing to the iOS keyboard. Including it in FlickType would be redundant and complex.

Chuck

On Jul 7, 2018, at 9:09 PM, aldrien lim <aldrienlim@...> wrote:

Hello Flicktype,

First of all you make a huge difference from my typing activity, and I congratulate you guys! But I have some suggestion that you might consider. Can I be a beta tester to help you guys about some future improvements. Is that a good idea to add the dictation feature of ios keyboard.

Sincerely, Aldrien

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I'm certainly looking forward to the incorporation of the half screen keyboard. Hopefully that is able to be done. Right now having to tap on dismiss keyboard then hunting for the send button down at the bottom of the screen, as far as iMessages go, is a little tedious.

On 08-Jul-2018 11:59 PM, Chuck Dean wrote:
Hello,
You can always incorporate dictation at any time by changing to the iOS keyboard. Including it in FlickType would be redundant and complex.
Chuck

On Jul 7, 2018, at 9:09 PM, aldrien lim <aldrienlim@...> wrote:

Hello Flicktype,

First of all you make a huge difference from my typing activity, and I congratulate you guys! But I have some suggestion that you might consider. Can I be a beta tester to help you guys about some future improvements. Is that a good idea to add the dictation feature of ios keyboard.

Sincerely, Aldrien

Rocco Fiorentino

As an alternative, you can try the flick up and hold gesture, which will switch you back to the iOS keyboard, but will leave the send button in its usual place instead of at the bottom of the screen.

On Jul 9, 2018, at 12:12 AM, Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...> wrote:

[...]

thank you, will try that!

I'm noticing flick type comes up on certain edit fields and the iOS on others. Does iOS save each keyboard to a specific edit field?

thanks for the tip!

On 09-Jul-2018 12:18 AM, Rocco Fiorentino wrote:
[...]

Daniel McGee

Yes, I think iOS remembers what keyboard you were using in the last application. As to your other question, I think the answer is no. Apple doesn't allow third party keyboard's to use the Dictation feature. At least to my knowledge. Weber this will be added in a future version of IOS I don't know. I'm of the opinion that like others have said this defeats the purpose of using FlickType. However, I can also see where your logic makes sense.
It would be cool to be able to stay in flicktype and dictate a word or two without having to dismiss the keyboard. So yeah, I can certainly see both sides to the argument here.
Have a pleasant day.

I'm noticing flick type comes up on certain edit fields and the iOS on
others. Does iOS save each keyboard to a specific edit field?

thanks for the tip!

On 09-Jul-2018 12:18 AM, Rocco Fiorentino wrote:
> As an alternative, you can try the flick up and hold gesture, which will switch you back to the iOS keyboard, but will leave the send button in its usual place instead of at the bottom of the screen.
>> On Jul 9, 2018, at 12:12 AM, Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm certainly looking forward to the incorporation of the half screen keyboard. Hopefully that is able to be done. Right now having to tap on dismiss keyboard then hunting for the send button down at the bottom of the screen, as far as iMessages go, is a little tedious.
>>

>>> On 08-Jul-2018 11:59 PM, Chuck Dean wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>   You can always incorporate dictation at any time by changing to the iOS keyboard. Including it in FlickType would be redundant and complex.
>>>     Chuck

Rocco Fiorentino

So I did a little research, and while it's correct that keyboards cannot access dictation, applications themselves, and thus the container app for FlickType, can at least access the microphone. Not sure about the dictation API though.