Topics

Beta 1.32

pdromey@...

        Hi Kosta and Ashley.

This is my first time being a beta tester for anything but, as a vision impaired former Flecksy user,  I am just so enthusiastic about flicktype that I wanted to get involved.

I have followed the recent beta versions from .28 to .32 and I welcome the increased options under settings.

In effect, when I sometimes, for example, type a three letter word and flick right, more letters are added instead of repeating the word I have chosen.
I am using both an SE with IOS 11.3 and an older iPad with ios 9.35.  The latter works well but there are some pronunciation issues obviously connected with it being so old.

I have noticed in the current beta a lack of sensitivity when flicking right, in that it sometimes types a letter instead of announcing the word.  This could, of course, be my error.  But it appears to happen quite a bit now and it never really did before, certainly not in Flecksy, or in the earlier betas .

It might be an idea to be able to turn the instructions option on or off in the menu.

To be honest , I don’t notice anything much of a diffdrence between the standard and alternative tap effects.  I think that allowing an on/off spelling option is an excellent idea, particularly when, like me, switching between the two languages.  My own preference here would be for the lower pitch.

I assume that, given the structure of Flicktype, it would not be possible to allow editing from beginning to end of a completed message/email or other document.  Obviously, one can read it using the word and character rotor options but not edit it, as far as I can gather.

I had some crash, and also mysterious switching into ios settings issues, on .28 but all is well since then.

But, all in all, I am absolutely delighted.

Paul

Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@...>

Yes that's what I thought: before, it was easy to perform the three-finger left/right to switch between numbers, symbols, and letters. However with the most recent update, a letter is typed. I'm using an iPhone 5S with the latest iOS 11.3.

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Hi Gerardo,

To change the keyboard it is a 2-finger flick in either direction and not a 3-finger flick. Using a 3-finger flick in FlickType will give you random results as it is not an action in our keyboard.

Please let me know how it goes,
Ashley

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your message. Some of the issues you're mentioning like entering a 3 letter word, flicking right and more letters being entered, as well as the flick right generally adding more letters gives me the feeling there are accidental taps happening. If you feel like you're typing the same as always, my next thought is whether you've restarted your devices recently? Sometimes issues can occur over time and a restart can resolve them.

As for the sounds, we will continue to make adjustments and improvements as we progress with the development of the app. We hope to get to a point where people can find a sweet spot that works well for them.

You're correct about the current editing shortcoming but we are currently building cursor control that will launch at the same time as the system-wide keyboard as we find this to be a very important feature in creating a fully functional typing experience.

Please let us know if you think of anything else!
Ashley

George Cham

I'm finding the app is very slugish when typing since updating to the current build.

Kind regards,

George Cham

Numbers 6:24-26

[...]

Try restarting your phone, or iPad. It helped with mine.

Chuck (mobile)

Moderator note: hello@flicktype.groups.io will no longer accept posts relating to the beta. Please use beta@flicktype.groups.io for all beta-related discussion. Thank you!