Topics

Any better results with FlickType keyboard and iOS 13.1.2?

Hi List,

I've delayed updating from iOS 12.4.1 to iOS 13.x due to issues with third party keyboards and Voiceover users. Now that iOS is on its fourth iteration since September 19th can anyone running iOS 13.1.2 comment on your results with it and FlickType?

I need to start learning iOS 13 but as I do most of my iPhone input with FlickType, I'm not ready to sacrifice that functionality if FlickType still isn't working with the latest iOS 13 release.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Alan,
FlickType is broken in iOS 13.1.2!
My iPhone updated without asking me and now I can not use FlickType in other apps.
Flicktype in the container app works perfectly. This is what I am using to type this email.
My advice... Do not update!

On Oct 5, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Hi List,

I've delayed updating from iOS 12.4.1 to iOS 13.x due to issues with third party keyboards and Voiceover users. Now that iOS is on its fourth iteration since September 19th can anyone running iOS 13.1.2 comment on your results with it and FlickType?

I need to start learning iOS 13 but as I do most of my iPhone input with FlickType, I'm not ready to sacrifice that functionality if FlickType still isn't working with the latest iOS 13 release.

Thanks in advance.

Alan Lemly

Chuck,

Many thanks for the warning. I got that message on my iPhone 8 a couple of days ago that iOS 13.1.2 had downloaded and was seeking my acceptance of terms and conditions in order to install. I declined and shut down the upgrade.

I'll remain patient but I must disparage Apple for trying to force feed upgrades to us especially when we have automatic updates turned off as I do.

Alan

My iPhone updated without asking me and now I can not use FlickType in other apps.

Flicktype in the container app works perfectly. This is what I am using to type this email.

My advice... Do not update!

On Oct 5, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Hi List,

I've delayed updating from iOS 12.4.1 to iOS 13.x due to issues with third party keyboards and Voiceover users. Now that iOS is on its fourth iteration since September 19th can anyone running iOS 13.1.2 comment on your results with it and FlickType?

I need to start learning iOS 13 but as I do most of my iPhone input with FlickType, I'm not ready to sacrifice that functionality if FlickType still isn't working with the latest iOS 13 release.

Thanks in advance.

Alan Lemly

Paula Page

It’s working fine for me in iOS 13.1 .2, at least no different from iOS 13.1.

Paula

On Oct 5, 2019, at 4:33 PM, Paula Page <fairyhugs@...> wrote:

[...]

Are you using the app version of FlickType or are you actually in text fields such as a Google search or typing in notes?

The app version or what’s known as the container app is working excellent! The problem is with typing into text fields in various other apps, the words typed are not spoken when flicking right.

Chuck Dean

Hello Paula,
Are you using FlickType in the container app, the flicktype app has not been effected by the iOS update.

The problem is when typing onboard in other apps, i. e. Doing a Google search or making a Yelp entry. After typing a word, the word is not spoken after swiping right.

[...]

Harry Bell

I’m running iOS 13.1.2 and, although FlickType wprls mostly fine, it does not announce every word after swiping right at the end of the word typed. It seems random but happens regularly - fortunately, I can make out on the screen that the word has been e termed despite the utter silence!
Harry

On 6 Oct 2019, at 00:33, Paula Page <fairyhugs@...> wrote:

[...]

No, I’m using it in apps like WhatsApp, email, messages, and so on. It doesn’t work properly, but it is no worse since iOS 13.1.2.

Paula

On 6 Oct 2019, at 01:14, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

I have found that I can go to VoiceOver settings, then to typing, then to typing feedback and turn on Words, I can Use FlickType and almost all the functions are working. The Words are spoken when flicking right, but not the punctuation. It is a little sporadic, but it does work.

On Oct 6, 2019, at 7:28 AM, Paula Page <fairyhugs@...> wrote:

[...]

JP Shandra

Hi,
The suggestion Chuck made was suggested by Callum last week. It does help, but still inconsistent. The container in app works best, but slows my workflow.
No keyboard is currently friendly to the blind. While tedious, touch typing is what I use most. I like QuickPath, but doesn’t have a reliable way of knowing if you typed there, their, or they’re. Which means you need to spellcheck after.
Best,
JP

On Oct 6, 2019, at 8:39 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello JP,
I have been using the container app. I forgot how much I like this app. The typing is extremely stable, and editing is much easier than other text fields.

While I will continue to use FlickType in various text fields, I think I'll use the container app for longer typing sessions, like this email reply.😎

On Oct 6, 2019, at 10:07 AM, JP Shandra <blindambition777@...> wrote:

[...]

 Hi Chuck, I have my voice-over set to that setting anyway, so I guess that’s why I haven’t been having too many problems. I am glad you are finding this a reasonable workaround for now.

Paula

On 6 Oct 2019, at 16:39, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Paula,
As I remember it, having words selected in the keyboard feedback settings was problematic for some of the FlickType features, especially when beta testing so many of us have it set to nothing.
I am noticing a few minor glitches, even with the container app with words selected, but nothing that I can't work around.

I said earlier, I am using the container app and loving it.😎👍

I do a lot of editing in my typing, and I am finding the container app is great for this.

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:35 PM, Paula Page <fairyhugs@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello everyone,
I sent a bug report to Apple, here is their reply:
Thank you for your email. We appreciate the feedback and wanted to let you know that Apple is currently investigating this issue. We cannot comment on when it may be resolved.

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:50 PM, Chuck Dean via Groups.Io <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

A standard reply which I have received a lot when submitting bug reports. I don’t want to rain on your parade, let’s just hope either Apple or Kosta will figure out what causes this issue.

[...]

Agreed, but at least I got a reply. Many times I get no input from Apple.

[...]

Hello,
That is the general response someone else received on AppleVis. However, a supervisor from Apple accessibility line said the keyboard issue is a high priority issue. There’s multiple open tickets related to this.
Best,
JP

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 6:54 PM Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

[...]

Diane Spencer <dianestrek@...>