Topics

an alternative to half size keyboard

Jean-Philippe Rykiel

Hi all,

half size keyboard might be good, I don't know how it will feel like, but in the meantime I just had an idea that I wanted to share with you.

For the moment, while flick type keyboard is on, the rotter gesture does not do anything. Why not use this rotter to temporarily dismiss the keyboard and go back to iOS edit features, until you touch the keyboard zone again?

What do you say?

Best regards,

JPR

--
http://jeanphilipperykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet

Brandon Cross

the whole screen is the keyboard zone though, that's the problem. I also would like this half screen option.

Peter Torpey

I personally can't wait until the half size keyboard is available.  This would hopefully work more like the standard keyboard in that one could easily view one's text entry, navigate the cursor for editing and making corrections, etc.  As noted on this forum, there are several circumstances where dismissing the keyboard leads to a result in which the user must go back to the standard keyboard.  I'm thinking of the situation of trying to use auto-correct when sending e-mail or text messages.

This will be a welcome addition and obviate the need for switching keyboards.

--Pete

I am not sure why the current gesture is considered to be problematic, seems to work for me.

half size keyboard might be good, I don't know how it will feel like, but in the meantime I just had an idea that I wanted to share with you.

For the moment, while flick type keyboard is on, the rotter gesture does not do anything. Why not use this rotter to temporarily dismiss the keyboard and go back to iOS edit features, until you touch the keyboard zone again?

What do you say?

Best regards,

JPR

--
http://jeanphilipperykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

 As I understand it, the half screen keyboard poses many problems and the final product may not be the total solution you are waiting for.
 Those of us who use fleksy understand typing in a text field makes VoiceOver have delays and stuttering speech, which is very annoying. So, the current thought is there will be a half screen keyboard useful to interact with the various areas of the screen, but you will want to change to the full screen keyboard to enter the bulk of your text. This seems to be the best compromise that Kosta can implement.

 There has been a Couple of attempts released to the alpha group which didn't perform as expected. Kosta is a steely eyed app developer, so whatever he finally releases will be the very best app possible.

 I was one of the big supporters of the half screen keyboard, at first, but since I have been using the current version of FlickType I really have no problems switching between the full screen FlickType keyboard and the iOS keyboard.
 In my opinion the half screen keyboard will be nice., But not necessary.

 Chuck

On Jul 14, 2018, at 7:48 AM, Peter Torpey <ptorpey00@...> wrote:

I personally can't wait until the half size keyboard is available.  This would hopefully work more like the standard keyboard in that one could easily view one's text entry, navigate the cursor for editing and making corrections, etc.  As noted on this forum, there are several circumstances where dismissing the keyboard leads to a result in which the user must go back to the standard keyboard.  I'm thinking of the situation of trying to use auto-correct when sending e-mail or text messages.

This will be a welcome addition and obviate the need for switching keyboards.

--Pete

Harry Bell

Yes, I agree! What I am grateful for in this keyboard is the way it makes it so easy to type chunks of text of some length. I'm really fine with changing to the iOS keyboard every now and then for something specific.
Regards
 Harry

On 14 Jul 2018, at 18:02, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello,
[...]

But these two buttons act strangely sometimes.
When dismissing the keyboard, it happens that last lines of text are deleted, and when switching keyboards, it sometimes opens the control
centre. I'm using an iPhone seven with last iOS 11, not quite sure what is happening.

Best,

JPR

 When doing the flick up and hold gesture to switch to the iOS keyboard, be sure to start the gesture about an inch above the bottom of the iPhone. This will prevent accidentally engaging the control panel.
 Chuck

On Jul 15, 2018, at 12:03 AM, Jean-Philippe Rykiel <jprykiel@...> wrote:

But these two buttons act strangely sometimes.
When dismissing the keyboard, it happens that last lines of text are deleted, and when switching keyboards, it sometimes opens the control
centre. I'm using an iPhone seven with last iOS 11, not quite sure what is happening.

Best,

JPR

Jean-Philippe Rykiel <jprykiel@...>

I sometimes have strange issues when dismissing the keyboard or switching to another one.

When dismissing the keyboard, it happens that the last lines of what I typed before is deleted, and when switching keyboards, it sometimes opens the control centre. I'm using an iPhone seven with last iOS 11, not quite sure what is happening.

Le 14/07/2018 à 20:29, Harry Bell via Groups.Io a écrit :

[...]

Piano Geek

I agree with JPR on this.

~ “Ah, music. A magic far beyond what we do here. “. Albus Dumbledore

On Jul 14, 2018, at 2:52 AM, Jean-Philippe Rykiel <jprykiel@...> wrote:

Hi all,

half size keyboard might be good, I don't know how it will feel like, but in the meantime I just had an idea that I wanted to share with you.

For the moment, while flick type keyboard is on, the rotter gesture does not do anything. Why not use this rotter to temporarily dismiss the keyboard and go back to iOS edit features, until you touch the keyboard zone again?

What do you say?

Best regards,

JPR

--
http://jeanphilipperykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Yes, if you bring up the control centre you are definitely starting your initial touch way to low. It is not necessary to do this in Flicktype, starting up higher and swiping up works just as well and it won’t bring up the control centre.

 When doing the flick up and hold gesture to switch to the iOS keyboard, be sure to start the gesture about an inch above the bottom of the iPhone. This will prevent accidentally engaging the control panel.

 Chuck

On Jul 15, 2018, at 12:03 AM, Jean-Philippe Rykiel <jprykiel@...> wrote:

But these two buttons act strangely sometimes.
When dismissing the keyboard, it happens that last lines of text are deleted, and when switching keyboards, it sometimes opens the control
centre. I'm using an iPhone seven with last iOS 11, not quite sure what is happening.

Best,

JPR

Jean-Philippe Rykiel <jprykiel@...>

sorry, this message was sent twice by mistake.

Cheers,

Le 15/07/2018 à 22:27, Sieghard Weitzel a écrit :

[...]

Jack Mitchell

I'm now subscribed to the list.  How do I get added to the Beta in test flight?

Jack Mitchell