Unable to hear alternate word selections

Shawn,

Many thanks for this suggestion. The next time I'm typing on my iPhone using FlickType in full screen mode, I'll turn Voiceover off and back on and see what difference this makes. I'll report back to the list tomorrow.

Alan

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:hello@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shawn Krasniuk via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 8:35 PM
To: hello@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType] Unable to hear alternate word selections

Hi Alan. I use FlickType in standard mode here and the direct touch issue is present on my SE 2020 running the beta of iOS 14.3. Direct touch has nothing to do with your typing mode. It's supposed to work in self voicing games as well but like FlickType, you have to turn direct touch on in order to play the game without having to turn off Voiceover. Back to the issue with Flicktype, when you're trying to type using the keyboard, when Voiceover says you're in FlickType, turn Voiceover off and back on again. That'll resolve the issue when you use it once or twice.

Regards,
Shawn,
Sent from Sophia, the MacBook Air

Want to join my WhatsApp groups such as Echo Enthusiasts, Accessibility Matters, Mac Users And Newbies or the Tech Zone? Send me a private email with your contact information and the group you wish to join and I'll happily add you.

Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Facetime: bbsshawn@...

On Dec 10, 2020, at 7:07 AM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for that tip but I use my phone locked in portrait mode and don't expect I'll be changing my ways at this stage of the game.

I'll try your suggestion of removing typing mode from the rotor since I already have touch typing set as my default under Settings, Accessibility, VoiceOver, Typing. I really don't think that will change anything because FlickType is supposed to automatically do whatever is needed with direct touch when typing with it and something with iOS 14 is apparently messing it up.

Alan 

with Outlook for iOS

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 11:58:54 PM
To: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io>

Hello Ellen,

Just an FYI, if you use FlickType in the standard mode, when you turn it into landscape, it goes to full screen. That’s how are use it, and it works quite well.

Chuck  (mobile)

Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

On Dec 9, 2020, at 10:54 PM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Yes, that's one of the issues with FlickType and the full screen keyboard. The dismiss gesture and none of the tapped keys register unless you first rotor to direct touch and turn it on. Even with this Direct touch issue, I find I prefer typing in full screen mode because the typed words appear much larger and I'm better able to use my bit of remaining vision.  This benefit outweighs the cost of the local app being off screen since once full screen FlickType is dismissed, the local app is present with the FlickType entered text in place.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: hello@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:hello@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Torpey
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2020 9:18 PM

I am using the Standard Flicktype keyboard.

I tried the Full Screen keyboard but couldnt even dismiss it with the flick down and hold gesture.  So I switched back.  Besides, with the full screen keyboard I couldnt see any of the app on the screen with VoiceOver.

--Pete

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 7:13 PM

Hi Pete,

I'm not having your same issue with the latest FlickType beta but I have my FlickType setting to use full screen. I don't believe you mention whether you're using full screen or not. The continuing issue I have with FlickType with both Mail and Messages where I use it 99% of the time is the need to activate direct touch each time I launch the FlickType keyboard. If I don't do this, tapping on the keyboard does nothing. When Direct touch is activated, typing works fine and all the predicted words are spoken as well as other choices when I single finger flick down. I just get tired of having to rotor to Direct touch and turn it on every time I go to the full screen FlickType keyboard.

Good luck with resolving your issue.

Alan Lemly

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:hello@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Torpey
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2020 1:56 PM
Subject: [FlickType] Unable to hear alternate word selections

I brought up this issue in the Test flight beta feedback on my iPhone, but I can write a better and more detailed report on my PC.  So here goes...

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Problems:  typing seems to work fine in the Flicktype app itself, but not when using apps such as Messages, or Mail.

1.  Create a text message or start a new e-mail message and activate the edit field for the message body.
2.  Type a word and flick right.  Flicktype speaks the word that was entered, as it should.
3.  Assume that we want to change this word.  So we flick down through the various suggestions.
4.  Instead of speaking the alternate suggestions in the list as it should, Flicktype merely says "space".
5.  If I now flick left to delete the last entered word, Flicktype speaks one of the alternate suggestions.  Thus it seems that Flicktype is actually moving through the list of alternate words when flicking down but not speaking these words.

Note: This bug only seems to occur when in the Messages and Mail apps, but not the main flicktype app.  When in the main Flicktype app the alternate words are spoken as one flicks down.

Hope that is clear.

--pete

Peter Torpey

Not good.  How can this be fixed?

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shawn Krasniuk via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 7:35 PM

Hi Alan. I use FlickType in standard mode here and the direct touch issue is present on my SE 2020 running the beta of iOS 14.3. Direct touch has nothing to do with your typing mode. It's supposed to work in self voicing games as well but like FlickType, you have to turn direct touch on in order to play the game without having to turn off Voiceover. Back to the issue with Flicktype, when you're trying to type using the keyboard, when Voiceover says you're in FlickType, turn Voiceover off and back on again. That'll resolve the issue when you use it once or twice.

Regards,
Shawn,

Want to join my WhatsApp groups such as Echo Enthusiasts, Accessibility Matters, Mac Users And Newbies or the Tech Zone? Send me a private email with your contact information and the group you wish to join and I'll happily add you.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for that tip but I use my phone locked in portrait mode and don't expect I'll be changing my ways at this stage of the game.

I'll try your suggestion of removing typing mode from the rotor since I already have touch typing set as my default under Settings, Accessibility, VoiceOver, Typing. I really don't think that will change anything because FlickType is supposed to automatically do whatever is needed with direct touch when typing with it and something with iOS 14 is apparently messing it up.

Alan 

with Outlook for iOS

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>

Hello Ellen,

Just an FYI, if you use FlickType in the standard mode, when you turn it into landscape, it goes to full screen. That’s how are use it, and it works quite well.

Chuck  (mobile)

Yes, that's one of the issues with FlickType and the full screen keyboard. The dismiss gesture and none of the tapped keys register unless you first rotor to direct touch and turn it on. Even with this Direct touch issue, I find I prefer typing in full screen mode because the typed words appear much larger and I'm better able to use my bit of remaining vision.  This benefit outweighs the cost of the local app being off screen since once full screen FlickType is dismissed, the local app is present with the FlickType entered text in place.

Alan

I tried the Full Screen keyboard but couldnt even dismiss it with the flick down and hold gesture.  So I switched back.  Besides, with the full screen keyboard I couldnt see any of the app on the screen with VoiceOver.

--Pete

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly

Hi Pete,

I'm not having your same issue with the latest FlickType beta but I have my FlickType setting to use full screen. I don't believe you mention whether you're using full screen or not. The continuing issue I have with FlickType with both Mail and Messages where I use it 99% of the time is the need to activate direct touch each time I launch the FlickType keyboard. If I don't do this, tapping on the keyboard does nothing. When Direct touch is activated, typing works fine and all the predicted words are spoken as well as other choices when I single finger flick down. I just get tired of having to rotor to Direct touch and turn it on every time I go to the full screen FlickType keyboard.

Alan Lemly

I brought up this issue in the Test flight beta feedback on my iPhone, but I can write a better and more detailed report on my PC.  So here goes...

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Problems:  typing seems to work fine in the Flicktype app itself, but not when using apps such as Messages, or Mail.

1.  Create a text message or start a new e-mail message and activate the edit field for the message body.
2.  Type a word and flick right.  Flicktype speaks the word that was entered, as it should.
3.  Assume that we want to change this word.  So we flick down through the various suggestions.
4.  Instead of speaking the alternate suggestions in the list as it should, Flicktype merely says "space".
5.  If I now flick left to delete the last entered word, Flicktype speaks one of the alternate suggestions.  Thus it seems that Flicktype is actually moving through the list of alternate words when flicking down but not speaking these words.

Note: This bug only seems to occur when in the Messages and Mail apps, but not the main flicktype app.  When in the main Flicktype app the alternate words are spoken as one flicks down.

Hope that is clear.

--pete

Shawn Krasniuk

Regards,
Shawn,

Hi Chuck,

Alan 

with Outlook for iOS

Hello Ellen,

Chuck  (mobile)

Alan

I tried the Full Screen keyboard but couldn�t even dismiss it with the flick down and hold gesture.  So I switched back.  Besides, with the full screen keyboard I couldn�t see any of the app on the screen with VoiceOver.

--Pete

Hi Pete,

Alan Lemly

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Hope that is clear.

--pete

Hi Chuck,

Alan 

with Outlook for iOS

Hello Ellen,

Chuck  (mobile)

Alan

I tried the Full Screen keyboard but couldn�t even dismiss it with the flick down and hold gesture.  So I switched back.  Besides, with the full screen keyboard I couldn�t see any of the app on the screen with VoiceOver.

--Pete

Hi Pete,

Alan Lemly

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Hope that is clear.

--pete

Chuck Dean

Hello Ellen,

Chuck  (mobile)

Alan

--Pete

Hi Pete,

Alan Lemly

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Hope that is clear.

--pete

Yes, that's one of the issues with FlickType and the full screen keyboard. The dismiss gesture and none of the tapped keys register unless you first rotor to direct touch and turn it on. Even with this Direct touch issue, I find I prefer typing in full screen mode because the typed words appear much larger and I'm better able to use my bit of remaining vision. This benefit outweighs the cost of the local app being off screen since once full screen FlickType is dismissed, the local app is present with the FlickType entered text in place.

Alan

I tried the Full Screen keyboard but couldn�t even dismiss it with the flick down and hold gesture. So I switched back. Besides, with the full screen keyboard I couldn�t see any of the app on the screen with VoiceOver.

--Pete

Hi Pete,

Alan Lemly

I brought up this issue in the Test flight beta feedback on my iPhone, but I can write a better and more detailed report on my PC. So here goes...

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Problems: typing seems to work fine in the Flicktype app itself, but not when using apps such as Messages, or Mail.

1. Create a text message or start a new e-mail message and activate the edit field for the message body.
2. Type a word and flick right. Flicktype speaks the word that was entered, as it should.
3. Assume that we want to change this word. So we flick down through the various suggestions.
4. Instead of speaking the alternate suggestions in the list as it should, Flicktype merely says "space".
5. If I now flick left to delete the last entered word, Flicktype speaks one of the alternate suggestions. Thus it seems that Flicktype is actually moving through the list of alternate words when flicking down but not speaking these words.

Note: This bug only seems to occur when in the Messages and Mail apps, but not the main flicktype app. When in the main Flicktype app the alternate words are spoken as one flicks down.

Hope that is clear.

--pete

Peter Torpey

I tried the Full Screen keyboard but couldn’t even dismiss it with the flick down and hold gesture. So I switched back. Besides, with the full screen keyboard I couldn’t see any of the app on the screen with VoiceOver.

--Pete

Hi Pete,

Alan Lemly

I brought up this issue in the Test flight beta feedback on my iPhone, but I can write a better and more detailed report on my PC. So here goes...

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Problems: typing seems to work fine in the Flicktype app itself, but not when using apps such as Messages, or Mail.

1. Create a text message or start a new e-mail message and activate the edit field for the message body.
2. Type a word and flick right. Flicktype speaks the word that was entered, as it should.
3. Assume that we want to change this word. So we flick down through the various suggestions.
4. Instead of speaking the alternate suggestions in the list as it should, Flicktype merely says "space".
5. If I now flick left to delete the last entered word, Flicktype speaks one of the alternate suggestions. Thus it seems that Flicktype is actually moving through the list of alternate words when flicking down but not speaking these words.

Note: This bug only seems to occur when in the Messages and Mail apps, but not the main flicktype app. When in the main Flicktype app the alternate words are spoken as one flicks down.

Hope that is clear.

--pete

Jessica D

Hi,
I'm having the same issue on my ipad, which is where I'm testing ipadOS 14.3.
Alan is right. Direct touch is still broken in ios/ipadOs 14.3.

Thanks,
Jessica

On Dec 9, 2020, at 9:12 PM, Alan Lemly <walemly@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Pete,

Alan Lemly

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Hope that is clear.

--pete

Hi Pete,

Alan Lemly

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Hope that is clear.

--pete

Peter Torpey

My System:
iPhone Xr
iOS 14.2
VoiceOver
Latest Flicktype beta

Hope that is clear.

--pete