Topics

Build 236

Ed Worrell

Yeah, I'm not having many issues either. It's lost just putting spaces between letters on manually typed WordsTie and outlook has its issues.

Ed

On Jan 18, 2020, at 3:04 PM, Shawn Krasniuk via Groups.Io <bbsshawn@...> wrote:

Hi all. I'm probably the only one here who isn't experiencing any of the issues that people are raising on this group. While in Messages, everything speaks the way it always did since day 1, meaning punctuations are being spoken. As for Safari, the only thing I do on that are Google searches for things. I don't use Flicktype for that though as when I've done searches with it in the past, Voiceover acts like I'm not putting spaces between my words, which I am. I don't do emails on my phone so I can't tell if everything's broken on my end with that. If I have to send an email, I just wait until I go to my computer as I find that even though I'm using FlickType, it's still a pain to type long strings of text on the phone.
However, the only issue here that I'm experiencing is Flicktype being inaccurate. It takes me sometimes three or four tries before it finally gets it right. Sometimes I give up and just type the word in manually because it's so annoying. But other than that, everything's good. This is with build 236 running iOS 13.3.1 dev beta 2.

Regards,
Shawn,
Sent from Sophia, the MacBook Air

Want to join my WhatsApp groups such as Echo Enthusiasts, Accessibility Matters or my new group, Mac Users And Newbies? Send me a private email with your contact information and I'll happily add you.

Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Facetime: bbsshawn@...

On Jan 18, 2020, at 8:40 AM, JP Shandra <blindambition777@...> wrote:

Hello Kosta,
Adding on to Salman, I’ve experienced on Amazon, Safari, Target, WordPress, and some sites that would only relate to me.
It really throws me off not having word pronounced, or getting partial word. My brain just isn’t processing or adapting to build 236. I switched to the public 5.2. It’s solved many of my issues for the most part.
Best,
JP

On Jan 18, 2020, at 5:47 AM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta,

Wanted to give some feedback regarding the latest beta, and various bugs that I have been encountering. Yes, this is specifically pertaining to the 236 release.

Firstly, and this is not really a bug, one thing I’ve noticed is the higher pitch of Voiceover speech when I tap type and swipe right to get the word that I’ve typed. Voiceover now announces that word in a higher pitch than it ever has before.

Now, to the bugs…

I for one, have encountered bugs while typing in all types of fields and in various apps. So the behavior is not limited to a certain app or type of field. Among the apps that I have encountered these bugs are Whatsapp, Messages, Mail, Safari, Google, Facebook, Messenger, Amazon, and so on…

In regular text fields, while I am typing, when I tap type and swipe right, I hear the word that I’ve tried to type (as I should). However, if I swipe right again to insert a punctuation, like a period, Voiceover simply repeats the previous word that I had typed. Even though, a period has actually been inserted.

Next, I have encountered the bugs that both Ed and JP have already mentioned in prior messages under this thread. “The keyboard doesn’t announce the word or punctuation options/suggestions when flicking up or down”, and, also the bug where “when I type a word, it says space, followed by spelling the word. If I delete the last word, it says beginning of document.”

Unlike Ed and JP however, I have encountered these bugs outside of Outlook. I don’t even have Outlook on my device. I have encountered them in Safari, Whatsapp, the Google app, etc.

Typing in multi-line text fields is almost impossible for me at this point. Whatever I tap type is either repeated twice, or is repeated twice with a sort of a stutter with Voiceover sometimes stuttering on the first part of the word, and sometimes on the last part of the word. I will try and explain this with an example. I was trying to type the following sentence: This version definitely seems to have some bugs.

Here are two variations of how Voiceover feedback has sounded like after I have tried typing each of those words while composing that sentence:

  1. ThisThis VerVersion DefDefinitely se eems seems to ha-have SomeSome bugs
  2. Th-This ersion initely se-eems to he-ave so-ome bugs.

Swiping left either doesn’t do anything, or simply deletes the last word I typed, and I can’t delete anything past that. Tapping and holding in the top half of the screen to have the typed text repeated back, does nothing either.
In addition, at various points during the typing experience, I am not able to swipe up or down to go through the suggestions as the same word keeps getting repeated over and over. Or, swiping up or down produces the "ding" Voiceover sound that suggests that I have reached the top or bottom of the list. The issue with the punctuation also occurs here too; not able to either swipe through the list of punctuation, or the same one is repeated over and over

I hope this gives you some idea and my explanation makes some sense. Basically, I have been encountering a lot of bugs with this new 236 release, and I have to revert back to an earlier version for a smoother and seamless typing experience.

Salman

Shawn Krasniuk

[...]

JP Shandra

[...]

Salman Haider

[...]

Jean-Philippe Rykiel

Hello Kosta.

I don't use Flicktype on a daily basis, as it is only available in English and Spanish for now, still waiting for French, but not trying to rush you here, anyway, the mailing list has been quite tame for a while, and I think it is the fact that it got busy again a few weeks ago that made me want to try it again, just to see how things were going. So, I don't know exactly when that was, but the trouble I'm having in the mail application was present on the version available at this time, and still is in last version.

Including, unpredictable results, every manually type character is followed  by a space, and punctuations not being pronounced. As I stated before, I don't have These issues in notes, message, or of course Flicktype app itself.

Cheers and thank you for what you do.

JPR

http://jeanphilipperykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Le 18/01/2020 à 03:18, FlickType a écrit :
Thank you all for the feedback. If you could please clarify, is the feedback related to build 236 specifically, or more general as of recently?
- Kosta

.

Gordon

Yeah it took me about 4 tries to type the word dog earlier. It wasn't even listed in the list of choices until I did it several times and finally got it. I've been using this keyboard since the first day it went live to be used everywhere on IOS. But something happened with last Monday's update that started this inaccuracy thing.

On 1/17/2020 8:40 PM, JP Shandra wrote:
Hi Kosta,
My earlier response was to build 236. I had minor issues before, but not to the extent of newest build.
In response to Gordon on accuracy. I’m experiencing the same. Most noticeable on left side of screen. Words with Q, W, A, S, D. I’m never getting word on first, even third time.
JP

On Jan 17, 2020, at 6:18 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you all for the feedback. If you could please clarify, is the feedback related to build 236 specifically, or more general as of recently?
- Kosta

JP Shandra

Hi Kosta,
My earlier response was to build 236. I had minor issues before, but not to the extent of newest build.
In response to Gordon on accuracy. I’m experiencing the same. Most noticeable on left side of screen. Words with Q, W, A, S, D. I’m never getting word on first, even third time.
JP

On Jan 17, 2020, at 6:18 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you all for the feedback. If you could please clarify, is the feedback related to build 236 specifically, or more general as of recently?

The problems I have been having in unite the mail App or have been present throughout iOS 1 3.

On Jan 17, 2020, at 7:18 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Thank you all for the feedback. If you could please clarify, is the feedback related to build 236 specifically, or more general as of recently?
- Kosta

Gordon

I've noticed some of this behavior in the most recent public version that I currently have. And accuracy is still off compared to where it was prior to last Monday when the app got its first update. I used to be able to type really fast and hit each word pretty much every time, but now it's much slower and I hardly ever hit the correct word on the first try. I usually have to flick down several times to get the right word, and sometimes that doesn't happen and I have to do it again. I do most of my typing in the stock messages app on the iPhone.

On 1/17/2020 8:18 PM, FlickType wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback. If you could please clarify, is the feedback related to build 236 specifically, or more general as of recently?
- Kosta

Thank you all for the feedback. If you could please clarify, is the feedback related to build 236 specifically, or more general as of recently?
- Kosta

Salman Haider

I have been encountering the bugs that have been mentioned by Ed and JP in previous messages. regarding being unable to switch punctuation, not being able to delete past the last word, and such. I do not use the outlook app myself, however those bugs that they have mentioned, I am definitely encountering in other apps as well, particularly ones that have multi line text fields. Like pages on Safari for instance. In addition to that, There are also some issues with voiceover feedback, which really make it difficult to continue typing in such fields. I will try and explain this in more detail in another message that I send you later, once I have a little more time to write out the description of the behavior encountered. But I just wanted to give you a heads up for now.
aSalman

Peter Torpey

I didn’t realize that other users were using OUtlook. I am using the Apple e-mail app and see some of the same issues using iOs 13.3 on an iPhone XR.

In fact, here is another interesting issue which I just observed.

I wrote my last response using a blue tooth keyboard after dismissing the Flicktype keyboard with the single finger swpie down gesture.

I then turned off my blue tooth keyboard and tried to reply to this message using Flicktype. Performing a single finger double tap using VoiceOver in the body of the message did not bring up the Flicktype keyboard. In fact I could not seem to get into edit mode. Seems like after dismissing the Flicktype keyboard that it disappeared and I didn’t know how to bring it back. So I’m turned on my blue tooth keyboard again to type this reply.

—Pete

Peter Torpey

I have never used the full screen mode of Flicktype but will begin testing that mode if it is a help.

However, I have experienced some of the sameS issues when composing e-mail messages that CHuck has reported. Specifically the three finger swipe seems to only work once in a while and two finger swipes sometimes drop me out of edit mode. Sometimes Flicktype will report that I am at the beginning and end of a document when I swipe left or right with one finger making it seem that my mail message is empty even though there is text in the boyd of the message. Don’t know if this is only a problem with e-mail, but that is most of what I use.

—Pete

ent from my iPhone

Shameless FanGirl

for whatever reason, this build wasn't pushed to me via testflight.

On Jan 17, 2020, at 1:21 PM, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Results seem to be on par with previous builds.

I am still seeing spaces inserted into words that are manually typed. Just like your name in the pervious email. This doesn’t seem to happen in all apps. Mostly the Apple email app. I am noticing that the standard keyboard seems to be a little more stable as well.

It’s a pretty good build in my opinion.

Ed

On Jan 17, 2020, at 2:06 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Ed. Does that mean it's working better in other apps, or the same as the previous build?

To give you some more background, the change in this build dramatically simplifies the code by removing dozens of workarounds that I've been using, and those are incredible fragile and hard to maintain, given each new iOS release.

- Kosta

Ed Worrell

[...]

Hey K o s t a,

Yes. Everything seems to be working great in all other apps.

Ed

On Jan 17, 2020, at 1:46 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Besides Outlook being worse, is it overall any better in the other apps and use cases? Or the same as the previous build?
- Kosta

Besides Outlook being worse, is it overall any better in the other apps and use cases? Or the same as the previous build?

Mm me too.👍

On Jan 17, 2020, at 12:02 PM, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

I would also love to see a quick delete function added to the keyboard.

Much like the old days of Fleksy. A swipe left and hold to activate the quick delete option. This was an amazing feature and I kind of miss it.

Ed

On Jan 17, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hey Chuck,

Yeah, I have played wit hit in land scape mode but I just can’t do it. Then I would have to unlock the orientation lock every time I would want to utilize the full screen version of the keyboard. Not that this can’t be done. I just forget to relock the orientation of the screen and that becomes a problem. Well, maybe more of an annoyance… First world problems, I know. Haha!

Ed
!

On Jan 17, 2020, at 11:39 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello Ed,

I was thinking along the same lines, although I think a finger gesture would be better than changing the buttons,. But, after trying a bunch of different gestures, I wouldn't know what could be used.

B TW, you do know that typing in the landscape mode is the same as full screen mode... But the visual announcements are not as large.☹️

Our 1972 Honda 600 Coupe

Our 1961 Vespa 400

On Jan 17, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hey Kosta,

The build is working great in all apps except Outlook. In Outlook the keyboard doesn’t announce the word or punctuation  options/suggestions when flicking up or down. Everywhere else it works great in full screen mode.

I was thinking would it be possible to add an options or a key option in the settings for FlickType to switch between full scree mode or standard keyboard mode? I like using the full screen mode when typing a long email but I prefer the standard mode for daily use. I’m thinking it could be an  user selectable option where the switch keyboard button is located. I don’t know if this is possible I’m only asking as I have an iPhone 11 and the switch keyboard option is always in the bottom left corner and it would be an extremely useful option.

Ed Worrell.

On Jan 17, 2020, at 11:01 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello Kosta,
I tried typing a couple of paragraphs in full screen mode, and I am typing this in full screen mode.
It's working perfectly for me on my iPhone 8 running the latest iOS.
The visual prompts are huge! Even my sad old eyes can read them at arms length.😎

Now I am Typing this in the mail app. Weird, it seems to be less accurate.🤔
I am still having problems in the mail app, with navigating with two and three finger swipes, and when I remove words, it says that I am at the top of the message.In In order to find my place, I have to dismiss the FlickType screen, go to the iOS keyboard, and move around that way. Chuck  (mobile)

Our 1972 Honda 600 Coupe

Our 1961 Vespa 400

On Jan 17, 2020, at 10:43 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Thank you Chuck. Could you please also try explicitly setting it to full screen in the settings, and giving that a go?

Thanks,
Kosta

Ed Worrell

Hey Kosta,

Yes this is with the new build. I have reinstalled the previous build 4.6 234 and it’s working perfectly. No issues with it not reading the text being corrected with the swipe down or up.

Ed the

On Jan 17, 2020, at 12:43 PM, JP Shandra <blindambition777@...> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:17 AM FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:
Are the Outlook issues new with build 236 specifically?
- Kosta

Hi Kosta,
There’s sometimes issues with Outlook, not to the extent of Mail. The issues I described are specific to build 236. HTH
JP