Topics

Switching FlickType between portrait and landscape when "Lock rotation"is switched on

Field, S. (Scott)

Hi Ashley and Kosta

Would it be possible to allow FlickType to go into landscape mode even if lock rotation is on?  I believe that the Overcast app overrides the IOS setting for rotating lock so it may be possible.  The reason is simply that with voiceover  reading a webpage, email or any lengthy piece of text, the reading stops if you inadvertently move the phone into landscape mode and then you have to set it to read again.  This is why I keep my phone’s lock rotation switched on.  I then need to switch it off when I want to type a long piece of text using FlickType and then remember to switch it  back on after typing, something I almost always forget to do.  I can imagine that this is not possible with a third-party keyboard, but thought it to be worth asking.

Thank you

signature_701642720

Scott Field

Senior Development Manager | Group Technology | Nedbank Ltd

1st Floor, Clocktower, Cape Town, South Africa

PO Box 1144, Johannesburg 2000, South Africa

T +27 (0)21 412 3174  F +27 (0)21 412 0000  C +27 (0)81 018 9199  @ Scottf@...

Website nedbank.co.za

THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT - At Nedbank we are committed to minimising our environmental impact and encourage the preservation of natural capital

********************

Nedbank disclaimer and confidentiality notice:

This email may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this email or all or some of the information contained therein, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this email is neither an offer or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, nor is it an official confirmation of any transaction or an official statement of Nedbank. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Nedbank. Nedbank Ltd Reg No 1951/000009/06.

The following link displays the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary. [http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm]

If you do not want to click on a link, please type the relevant address in your browser

********************

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the suggestion. This is not normally possible, so we would need to implement some kind of workaround. Let's ask the group if they'd also find this feature useful since it will take some work.

Group,
Do others in the group feel like this would be useful for you as well?

Cheers!
Ashley

Paula Page

It wouldn’t for me, personally, I’m happy typing in portrait mode.

Paula

On 19 Oct 2018, at 19:52, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the suggestion. This is not normally possible, so we would need to implement some kind of workaround. Let's ask the group if they'd also find this feature useful since it will take some work.

Group,
Do others in the group feel like this would be useful for you as well?

Cheers!
Ashley

Ken Ewing

Hello, I’m comfortable typing in portrait mode. Maybe you can create a gesture or a setting that will allow it to go to landscape as well.

Regards,
Ken Ewing

On Oct 19, 2018, at 1:52 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the suggestion. This is not normally possible, so we would need to implement some kind of workaround. Let's ask the group if they'd also find this feature useful since it will take some work.

Group,
Do others in the group feel like this would be useful for you as well?

Cheers!

Hello Ashley,
I doubt I would use this feature because I keep the screen orientation unlocked so typing in landscape mode is never a problem.

I would also like to see a rapid delete gesture like FlickType Classic has.😎

Chuck (mobile)

On Oct 19, 2018, at 11:52 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the suggestion.  This is not normally possible, so we would need to implement some kind of workaround. Let's ask the group if they'd also find this feature useful since it will take some work.

Group,
Do others in the group feel like this would be useful for you as well?

Cheers!
Ashley

Jennie Facer

Hi,

This feature thd not be any use to me.

Jenn

Jenn and Kumi

On Oct 19, 2018, at 12:52 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the suggestion. This is not normally possible, so we would need to implement some kind of workaround. Let's ask the group if they'd also find this feature useful since it will take some work.

Group,
Do others in the group feel like this would be useful for you as well?

Cheers!
Ashley

I would love it, I hate to have my orientation unlocked so unlike Chuck I simply won't use Flicktype in landscape mode even if I'd maybe like to do so at times.
I know what is suggested can definitely be done because the Ring Video Doorbell app, for example, also switches to landscape mode when I enable Lifeview or if somebody rings the doorbell and I tap on the notification to answer the ring.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is not normally possible, so we would need to implement some kind of workaround. Let's ask the group if they'd also find this feature useful since it will take some work.

Group,
Do others in the group feel like this would be useful for you as well?

Cheers!
Ashley

Jean-Philippe Rykiel

I have never used landscape mode. Maybe I should try it, but I don't see this as a necessity.

Cheers,

JPR

http://jeanphilipperykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Le 20/10/2018 à 05:55, Sieghard Weitzel a écrit :
I would love it, I hate to have my orientation unlocked so unlike Chuck I simply won't use Flicktype in landscape mode even if I'd maybe like to do so at times.
I know what is suggested can definitely be done because the Ring Video Doorbell app, for example, also switches to landscape mode when I enable Lifeview or if somebody rings the doorbell and I tap on the notification to answer the ring.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is not normally possible, so we would need to implement some kind of workaround. Let's ask the group if they'd also find this feature useful since it will take some work.

Group,
Do others in the group feel like this would be useful for you as well?

Cheers!
Ashley

JP Shandra <blindambition777@...>

For me, I wouldn’t type in landscape. Especially when on the move. Not practical, but to each his/her own.
Best,
JP

On Oct 20, 2018, at 2:46 AM, Jean-Philippe Rykiel <jprykiel@...> wrote:

[...]

Just tried it. It should be good on an iPad, as it Almost feels like a real typewriter keyboard. But an iPhone is a little small to do the trick, for me at least.

Best,

Le 20/10/2018 à 15:45, JP Shandra a écrit :
[...]

Rob Whyte

you can type with your thumbs then and it is very cool

Warm regards Rob Whyte JAWS certified 2018

On 20/10/18 20:46, Jean-Philippe Rykiel wrote:
[...]

I used to keep the orientation locked because I would hold my iPhone while reading and I would accidentally shift from portrait to landscape mode, thus stopping the reading. I since found it easier to listen through a Bluetooth headset and leave the iPhone sitting on a table.

Also I find the control center much easier to get to than years ago, so if I need to lock the orientation, its not a big deal.😎

Just my thoughts,

Btw I typed this with my iPhone in landscape mode using my thumbs, which I find the fastest way of typing with flicktype.👍

Chuck (mobile)