Re: iOS 15 and flick type

Hi Scott,

I too am partially sighted but use my ears and not my eyes with my iPhone. I find it very curious that you never got FlickType to work with Voiceover since it was designed to be used by those running Voiceover. I always used FlickType in full screen mode and get excellent results whether using the keyboard extension or the container app. I have not installed the latest Watch/Container upgrade because I want access to the FlickType keyboard until I get a new iPhone and upgrade to iOS 15. I’m currently using an iPhone SE 2020 running iOS 14.8.

I’m delighted that the current consensus is that the Watch/Container app will be available going forward in the App Store.

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io> On Behalf Of Field, S. (Scott)
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 2:03 AM
To: hello@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType] iOS 15 and flick type

Hi

I am partially sighted, not completely blind, but too blind to read text on my phone without assistance.  Even in IOS 14 I never got FlickType to work well with VoiceOver on.  I found that switching voice feedback for typing on and then toggling voiceover off each time I wanted to type works very well.

I see there is an update to FlickType to remove it as a third party system wide keyboard, I am not going to update FlickType as it is by far the best way for me to type on the phone as it is now.  I wish Kosta was able to leave the app with it’s short comings in the app store for those of us that can use it without voiceover to continue to use it and a second container app  to be added to the app store for those that find that a more suitable solution.

So unfortunate how things have turned out with Kosta and Apple after he changed my life for the better with a keyboard that I wish Apple had bought from him.

Regards

Scott

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Shawn Krasniuk via groups.io <bbsshawn@...>
Date: Wednesday, 29 September 2021 at 06:57
To: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io>

CAUTION - EXTERNAL SENDER - Please be careful when opening links and attachments. Nedbank - IT Information Security Department (ISD)

Hi. Not me. I liked Flicktype as a third party keyboard in my apps. That's why I'm thinking of trying MBraille because it can work with third party apps. You can call me lazy, but if Flicktype isn't gonna work in iOS 15 unless you use the classic app, it's not useful to me.

Regards,
Shawn,
Sent from Sophia, the MacBook Air

Want to join my WhatsApp groups such as Echo Enthusiasts, Accessibility Matters, Mac Users And Newbies or the Tech Zone? Send me a private email with your contact information and the group you wish to join and I'll happily add you.

Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Facetime: bbsshawn@...

On Sep 21, 2021, at 11:06 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Thank you for that information!

I have always use the FlickType Classic app, because it works perfectly all the time. It’s much more simple, and doesn’t need to interact with different apps.

Even when I was an alpha and beta tester on FlickType, when I was finished testing I would always turn full access off and go back to FlickType Classic app. In my opinion is the best incarnation of Fliktype.

On Sep 21, 2021, at 8:44 AM, David Speck via groups.io <sfblessings@...> wrote:

Hi, I also noticed that while using the systemwide keyboard, the words typed are not always spoken completely. Also, as mentioned in another reply, flicking up and down through Suggestions only reads the first or last letter of the words selected  Flicking left to delete words only says space if anything at all. The behavior seems to be the same in the container app. The classic version however still behaves as it always has. Everything is spoken as I would expect. I’ll probably start using that one more consistently since the behavior appears to be more on Target and consistent.

On Sep 21, 2021, at 9:29 AM, David Speck via groups.io <sfblessings@...> wrote:

I upgraded and am using flick type to compose this message on the system wide keyboard. It seems to be working exactly as it did before on my device. I haven't yet tried the container app  or the classic version but I see no reason why they wouldn't work. Of course if it is not installed on your device before you upgrade you probably won’t have it after you upgrade. Anyone should expect that. Just thought you would all like to know. Have a great day.

Dave

Nedbank disclaimer and confidentiality notice:

This email may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this email or all or some of the information contained therein, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this email is neither an offer or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, nor is it an official confirmation of any transaction or an official statement of Nedbank. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Nedbank. Nedbank Ltd Reg No 1951/000009/06.

The following link displays the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary. [http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm]

If you do not want to click on a link, please type the relevant address in your browser