Re: Help After iOS Update

Chuck Dean

hello Scott,
Please be sure you have a slide to type turned off. This keyboard and the Fliktype keyboard do not play well together.

On Mar 28, 2021, at 11:22 PM, Field, S. (Scott) <ScottF@...> wrote:

Hi

Thank you for the information about the difference between direct touch and direct touch typing, this iwas new information to me.  I checked and all my apps on my phone are set to direct touch.  I found this in Settings>Accessibility>Voice Over>Rotor  Actions>Direct Touch.

Since updating to IOS14 which I did when it first came out, I have been unable to use FlickType with VO on.  I have turned voice feedback on in FlickType and toggle VO off as soon as I need to type something.

I am completely at a loss as to why I experience this if others are finding it to work.  I mainly use whatsapp, Do other find FlickType with VO on to work in Whatsapp?  I can type the first word, but cannot swipe right with one finger to proceed to the next word without having to reengaging FlickType and even then the focus is all over the place.  I am using an iPhone 11.

Thank you

Scott

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Shawn Krasniuk via groups.io <bbsshawn@...>
Date: Sunday, 28 March 2021 at 09:34
To: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [FlickType] Help After iOS Update

CAUTION - EXTERNAL SENDER - Please be careful when opening links and attachments. Nedbank - IT Information Security Department (ISD)

Hi Benny. Direct Touch and Direct Touch typing are two different things. Direct Touch Typing is for the iOS keyboard and has nothing to do with Flicktype. Direct Touch is a new feature that Apple introduced in iOS 14 which allows Voiceover users to use self-voicing apps without having to turn Voiceover off. In iOS 14, Flicktype needs direct touch on to be able to work with your apps. You'll need to turn it on for every app you use Flicktype with. Hope that clears things up.

Regards,
Shawn,
Sent from Sophia, the MacBook Air

Want to join my WhatsApp groups such as Echo Enthusiasts, Accessibility Matters, Mac Users And Newbies or the Tech Zone? Send me a private email with your contact information and the group you wish to join and I'll happily add you.

Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Facetime: bbsshawn@...

On Mar 27, 2021, at 2:20 PM, Benny Barber <benny.barber55@...> wrote:

Hello Tony,

I think the main problem for me was going from iOS 13 to 14.4.2.  With iOS 13 I have not had the issue with having to activate direct touch typing with the rotor.  Also, when I updated to 14.4.2, slide to type was on and I think that created an issue as well.  I had to make sure full access was on for FlickType too.  In retrospect, I think it was an issue with about 3 different things.

1.       full access needed to be turned on for FlickType

2.       slide to type needed to be turned off

3.       direct touch typing needed to be enabled on the rotor when VoiceOver and FlickType were active

These were the items that were causing me the problem.

Benny