Re: Direct touch and flick type

Gordon

You're not going to find it in rotor settings. It only comes up in certain circumstances. And when it does come up, it will appear in the rotor where you can turn it on or off. I was a bit surprised to see it come up with flick type because the keyboard isn't a self voicing app. Direct touch will come up most likely if you're playing a game which is self voicing and doesn't use voice over as a screen reader. It's supposed to serve as a way to temporarily ignore voice over as if you turned it off while interacting with an app.

On 9/23/2020 12:32 AM, Alan Lemly wrote:
Okay. Can you direct me where exactly I find direct touch in the iOS 14 settings? You mention something about setting it in the rotor but I went through all the Voiceover rotor items and saw nothing about direct touch.

Thanks.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: hello@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:hello@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gordon
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 10:48 PM
To: hello@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType] Direct touch and flick type

No this is direct touch and has nothing to do with typing. Direct touch is used a lot in self voicing gaming apps and other areas where voice over wont be handling commands and passes those through to the app.

On 9/22/2020 10:41 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:
I have my typing style set to touch typing and have always had it set that way and haven't experienced any issues when using FlickType. I don't remember direct touch typing ever being a requirement for FlickType.

Alan Lemly

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:hello@flicktype.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Gordon
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: [FlickType] Direct touch and flick type

Actually it's strange, I don't have to turn direct touch on each time I use flick type, but I do for Vorail. I wonder if this is something that Apple is going to have to change on their end?
On 9/22/2020 9:39 PM, Peter Torpey wrote:
Yes, same problem here. Direct Touch seems to get set to "off" when Flicktype is invoked under iOS 14. Even if you turn it "on", the next time you try to use Flicktype it will be turned "off" again automatically. Fortunately the workaround is easy, but hopefully this can be fixed in the app.

--Pete

From: hello@flicktype.groups.io <hello@flicktype.groups.io> On Behalf
Of Gordon
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 8:29 PM
Subject: [FlickType] Direct touch and flick type

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but flick type wasn't responding earlier. I finally figured out why. I had to find direct touch in the rotor and turn it on. It somehow got turned off. Direct touch has been around for a long time, but it's more persistent in IOS 14. So if the keyboard isn't working as it should find direct touch in the rotor and flick up or down to turn it on.

Join hello@flicktype.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.