Topics

problem with flicktype beta on IPhone 6S with VoiceOver

Graham Page

Hi.

I use FlickType on my personal mobile which is an IPhone SE running IOS 11
and voiceover with no problem. When it came out on the app store today I
downloaded it onto my work phone which is an IPhone 6S. On this phone, I
can't use FlickType with voiceover running. I need to turn voiceover off.
In this situation I can type and get feedback but I can't use the menus
without turning on voiceover again. I'd like FlickType to run on the 6S as
it does on the SE with voiceover running. Is there any setting I eed to
change?

Regards

Graham

I find that I can't use it on this phone with voiceover

We have a 6s device and we are not running into any issues with voiceover on, in fact, the app works better with voiceover enabled. Maybe you have assistive touch or some other accessibility setting configured differently from your SE?

Please let us know,
Ashley

Chuck Dean

Hi Ashley,
About a week and a half ago someone else was having a similar problem. I don’t remember what the fix was, but Kosta knew what to do.

Chuck

On Apr 27, 2018, at 10:20 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

We have a 6s device and we are not running into any issues with voiceover on, in fact, the app works better with voiceover enabled. Maybe you have assistive touch or some other accessibility setting configured differently from your SE?

Please let us know,
Ashley

Graham Page

Hi Chuck.

if you could find the problem or dig out the email or whatever advice Kosta had that would be much appreciated.

Regards

Graham

-----Original Message-----
From: beta@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:beta@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chuck Dean
Sent: 27 April 2018 18:26
To: beta@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-beta] problem with flicktype beta on IPhone 6S with VoiceOver

Hi Ashley,
About a week and a half ago someone else was having a similar problem. I don’t remember what the fix was, but Kosta knew what to do.

Chuck

Please let us know,
Ashley

Chuck Dean

I did a search in my trash, but I could not find the email.
If I come across it, I will forward it to you.
I believe it said something to the effect:
touch typing or direct touch must be enabled for Flicktype to work. Use the rotor and select touch typing or direct touch

Chuck

On Apr 30, 2018, at 8:12 AM, Graham Page <gpage@...> wrote:

Hi Chuck.

if you could find the problem or dig out the email or whatever advice Kosta had that would be much appreciated.

Regards

Graham

From: beta@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:beta@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chuck Dean
Subject: Re: [FlickType-beta] problem with flicktype beta on IPhone 6S with VoiceOver

Hi Ashley,

Chuck

Please let us know,
Ashley

Graham Page

Hi Chuck.

Touch typing is definitely selected.

Is there any way I can set everyting back to defaults withouterasing all content?

Regards

Graham

Sent: 30 April 2018 17:01

touch typing or direct touch must be enabled for Flicktype to work. Use the rotor and select touch typing or direct touch

Chuck

Hi Chuck.

Regards

Graham

Hi Ashley,

Chuck

Please let us know,
Ashley

Graham Page

Hi Ashley.

I use my phone for work purposes but I've been through all the settings that might make a difference but zooms is off and touch assist is off and colour inversion is off and as far as I can tell the settings on my SE and my 6S are the same. Of course, I may be missing something but I'm not sure where to look next. It's working well now on my SE and compared to older versions the Manual typing feature seems more stable than it was so that's great.

Regards

Graham

From: beta@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:beta@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: 27 April 2018 18:21

Please let us know,
Ashley

Chuck Dean

Hi Graham, not to my knowledge. Someone else may know better than me, I’m not a software engineer.

Chuck

On Apr 30, 2018, at 11:13 AM, Graham Page <gpage@...> wrote:

Hi Chuck.

Touch typing is definitely selected.

Is there any way I can set everyting back to defaults withouterasing all content?

Regards

Graham

Sent: 30 April 2018 17:01

Chuck

Hi Chuck.

Regards

Graham

Hi Ashley,

Chuck

Please let us know,
Ashley

Hi Graham,

We're trying to figure it out internally but we're also stumped. Would you mind expanding on the following statement: On this phone, I can't use FlickType with voiceover running. Also, what version of the operating system are you running on your 6s? Any additional details you can give will help us figure out the problem.

Thanks!
Ashley

Graham Page

Hi Ashley. I am using IOS 11.3.1. when I start FlickType I get a message saying " FlickType Ready. Flick up with 2 fingers to go to the menu.

Actually the very first time I started it I got a dialog with instructions as I would expect.

As I move my finger round where the keyboard should be I hear the words Ready to Type, flick up with 2 fingers for menu.

Flicking up with 2 fingers doesn't work and if I keep trying this the IPhone eventually becomes unresponsive.

I hope I've described the problem clearly but please do get back to me with further questions.

Regards

GrahamSometimes as I move around a letter is spoken but it's in the voiceover voice and I can't enter it.

From: beta@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:beta@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: 30 April 2018 23:04

Hi Graham,

We're trying to figure it out internally but we're also stumped. Would you mind expanding on the following statement: On this phone, I can't use FlickType with voiceover running. Also, what version of the operating system are you running on your 6s? Any additional details you can give will help us figure out the problem.

Thanks!
Ashley

Eileen Misrahi

Hi Ashley,

I just want to respond to the 6S issue in using FlickType on an iPhone 6S. I am not having any problems with the app but the operating iOS is the difference. I am using iOS 11. 2. 6. i'm wondering if that's the difference in why this individual is having problems. I am composing this response with the keyboard. hTH.

Best, m

Eileen

Thank you, Eileen! This may be the best running theory we have at the moment.

Graham, did you happen to try the app with the previous OS before updating to 11.3.1? I just updated to test 11.3.1 and haven't been able to reproduce on the 6s we have. We have one other report of a similar issue with a 6s running 11.3.1, so we're going to ask the broader beta group if they've run into anything similar.

Ashley