Build 154

Please always restart your device after updating FlickType, and send all your feedback to beta@flicktype.groups.io. Thank you!

What's new:
We've been working hard to bring you the much desired half-screen mode. In this very experimental build, we have added a new "Keyboard Height" setting with the following options:
- "Full screen", which is the default mode FlickType has always operated in.
- "Almost full screen", which is 80% of the height and intended solely as a WhatsApp workaround (previously called "Reduced height").
- "Half screen", which is exactly half the height of the screen.

The new "Half screen" option will also cause all text edits to be directly committed to the underlying text field in real-time. This also means that some voice announcements and sound effects from iOS itself will interfere with the intended FlickType feedback. You will also have to play around with the iOS typing feedback settings and see what works best for you. We'd love to hear back your findings.

Known issues with the half screen mode:
- If you move the app cursor inside a word, FlickType will crash. Only move the cursor by whole words to prevents this.
- When deleting the very last word of the document, iOS will announce "Bottom of document", suppressing the FlickType deletion announcement. A workaround is to always have a word or punctuation mark after your cursor while you compose your text. The same sometimes happens when changing a word.
- Other occasional crashes, particularly on iOS 12 betas.

Please let us know your experience with this, and any information you share about what worked for you and what didn't will be extremely valuable moving forward.

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

PS: We'd love some feedback on our new homepage if you have a minute: https://www.flicktype.com

Jessica D

Hi ,

While using the new version of flicktype on my iPhone x, I noticed that when I enter a space, to enter punctuation, VoiceOver says "space."

Is this expected behavior?

Also, I don't like the line in the middle of the screen. Honestly, I don't think it's necessary. If you feel it is necessary, can you at least make it thinner. Also, I would like to see more background color options.

On Aug 18, 2018, at 10:25 PM, FlickType <hello@flicktype.com> wrote:

Please alway.s restart your device after updating FlickType, and send all your feedback to beta@flicktype.groups.io. Thank you!

What's new:
We've been working hard to bring you the much desired half-screen mode. In this very experimental build, we have added a new "Keyboard Height" setting with the following options:
- "Almost full screen", which is 80% of the height and intended solely as a WhatsApp workaround (previously called "Reduced height").

The new "Half screen" option will also cause all text edits to be directly committed to the underlying text field in real-time. This also means that some voice announcements and sound effects from iOS itself will interfere with the intended FlickType feedback. You will also have to play around with the iOS typing feedback settings and see what works best for you. We'd love to hear back your findings.

- If you move the app cursor inside a word, FlickType will crash. Only move the cursor by whole words to prevents this.
- When deleting the very last word of the document, iOS will announce "Bottom of document", suppressing the FlickType deletion announcement. A workaround is to always have a word or punctuation mark after your cursor while you compose your text. The same sometimes happens when changing a word.

Please let us know your experience with this, and any information you share about what worked for you and what didn't will be extremely valuable moving forward.

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

PS: We'd love some feedback on our new homepage if you have a minute: https://www.flicktype.com

Arya

Hi Flick type Team,

Firstly I want to thank you for the wonderful keyboard. It has increased my typing speed tremendously on the touch screen.

I want to give the following feed back about the build number 154.

In the half screen mode the punctuation is not announced.

Steps to reproduce.

1. Type a word.

2. Flick right to insert a period.

expected action: voice over should say period.

Actual info from voice over: It says space.

I tested in iPhone 8 plus running IOS 11.4.1 and iPad running IOS 12 beta with the same results.

With Regards.

Arya.

Paula Page <fairyhugs@...>

Dear Costa and Ashley,

I just wanted to say how much I am really loving the new half-screen option you have implemented. I’m finding it absolutely brilliant! Yes, the problems you listed are there, but they are very workable with, and don’t detract from the experience much at all. Sometimes, when entering punctuation, it says Space instead of Fullstop, but swiping down, the other punctuation is read out fine. Also, sometimes, when swiping down to choose a word, it does say “bottom of document”, but it still spells the word you have swiped to, so again, this isn’t a huge problem, it just slows things very slightly.

Again, congratulations on getting this half-screen option to work with VoiceOver, it is fabulous! :)

Paula

On 19 Aug 2018, at 03:25, FlickType <hello@flicktype.com> wrote:

Please always restart your device after updating FlickType, and send all your feedback to beta@flicktype.groups.io. Thank you!

What's new:

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Hi Everyone,

Thank you, all, for your feedback. These issues are not intended behavior, but it is expected to have bugs including those that you're reporting now. If anything else comes up, we'd appreciate you letting us know.

Jessica,
What bar in the middle of the screen are you referring to? If it's difficult to describe please feel free to send us a screenshot.

Thanks!
Ashley