Topics

Wishlist

David Nason

Hi all,

Some people have been mentioning what they would like to see in terms of development. So I thought I'd send out my own wishlist.

Larger dictionary. All too often I tap out relatively common words but find they are not in the dictionary, or not offered to me, so have to type it out manually.
More variations / derivitives of words. For example the plural of many common nouns are not in the dictionary. And different tenses of verbs. For example, I try to type "subscribed". FlickType offers me "subscriber" as the first option, showing that I got the pattern right, but neither "subscribed" or "subscribes" appear in the suggestions list at all.
Learn what I type. For example, I type my name, "Dave" regularly, signing emails etc. However it almost never offers me "Dave" as the first suggestion, usually offering "face" first, with "Dave" appearing somewhere in the list requiring me to swipe down. No matter how many times I have made this change, it still never offers me "Dave" first.
Better accuracy of manual typing. It still sometimes selects the letter beside the one I wanted.
Insert a space before the first emoji that comes after words or punctuation. I say this because I would want a space in that case, but I do not want a space between two emoji characters.
Fix for issue with FlickType inserting spaces before or after quotation marks. Currently I have to go back through my text with the iOS keyboard to fix these. I'm not sure about this one because sometimes I get unwanted spaces and sometimes I don't, so maybe there is a trick to it, or maybe it behaves differently depending on whether the word inside the quotes was tapped or manually touch typed?
Support for text expansion shortcuts. Preferably accessing the ones I've already created in iOS settings.
Option to switch off the announcements when you open the keyboard. Related to this, the keyboard is sometimes slow to become responsive when opened.

The half screen keyboard would be nice to see too, if full functionality could be added and we could fully interact with the elements of the app in the top half of the screen, but for me the above list would take priority.

What do other people think?

Hello Dave,
The only thing I can comment on is the quotation marks. It has been my experience when I manually type a word with quotation marks there is not a space between the last letter and the quotation mark, but if I am using tap typing, there will be a space between the last letter and the quotation mark.
Chuck

On Jul 7, 2018, at 5:48 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave

Salman Haider

I would agree with all of what Dave has here.

On Jul 7, 2018, at 8:48 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

Rocco Fiorentino

I also agree, and think this list is a good place to start evaluating things for future releases, etc.

On Jul 8, 2018, at 8:07 AM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

[...]

This wishlist is really helpful, as we are looking to re-prioritize the various planned items. I've been sick for the last couple of days, but as soon as I'm feeling better we'll get back on track, smile.

My priority would be the ability to use text replacements, the half screen keyboard, and no intro announcements.

[...]

Hey Chuck and Kosta,

I agree. I would love to see full functionality added to the standard keyboard. I guess I really don’t understand the current implementation of the standard keyboard…I would really love to see it function just like the full screen version of the keyboard, minus the full screen part of coarse ☺️

Maybe a two finger swipe up could add the text to the field whilst using the standard mode of Flicktype. This would make the ability to see what you have typed with the keyboard using the voiceover rotor, and it would make the send button appear in the messages app… Just a thought that I had last night.

Ed Worrell
CEO’/Co-Founder: OverHere Consulting LLP
“Bringing Technology into Sight”
www.overhereconsulting.net