Topics

Unpredictable cursor

Chuck Dean

I just tried to duplicate it here but failed.
It seems to be prevalent in the notes app.
Hi Kosta,
This was mentioned a few days ago, but when I am typing in notes or email

The cursor sometimes goes to the beginning of the last line, instead of the end.

You will notice that the cursor went to the beginning of this email after I dismissed the keyboard the second time.
Not a deal breaker but, it makes typing unpredictable. Chuck

It seems that dismissing the keyboard, any keyboard including the iOS one, will not preserve the cursor position but will instead move it at the beginning of the document the next time you double tap to edit that field. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's rare that people dismiss the iOS keyboard when using VoiceOver, hence the issue appears to be more prominent with FlickType even though it's not specific to FlickType. Sighted users will routinely move their finger downwards in order to scroll up and read earlier messages in an iMessage thread for example, the act of which slowly and interactively pushes the keyboard down to eventually be dismissed once it goes too low. But scrolling the message thread using VoiceOver will leave the keyboard up if it's visible. And FlickType has a dedicated button or gesture for dismissing it, whereas the iOS keyboard doesn't.

I've added this as a known issue in the wiki, and I'm not sure if there will ever be a workaround for that other than trying to move the cursor before editing the field, or moving the cursor with the VoiceOver gestures when FlickType has a half-screen mode.

Hey Kosta,

I think you're correct. I seem to remember my business partner, whom is low vision and doesn't use VoiceOver seeing this behavior only on the iPad of which there is a dismiss keyboard button. Most people that don't use Voiceover never have a reason to dismiss the keyboard. This honestly has only happened a few times to me and isn't much of an actual problem as a minor annoyance.

Ed

On Jun 1, 2018, at 4:20 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[...]

Kosta