From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of David Nason <dnason@...>
Sent: Friday, June 8, 2018 7:31:13 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] The Large Text and Privacy Concerns

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

 As a low vision user, for the most part I really like the large text that appears as I type in the custom keyboard.
 However, I was in a bar yesterday with a friend and was typing a message on my phone. My friend, knowing nothing about FlickType, simply asked me if I was aware that everything I type is appearing in large font and that she could read every word I type.

 So I wondered whether we could get a privacy toggle, for example a three finger double tap or something, that would allow us to disable this feature when in a public setting?
 As I am now very self conscious when using the keyboard in such a setting.

 Many thanks,

Before you start typing, you could do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 2:31 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

As a low vision user, for the most part I really like the large text that appears as I type in the custom keyboard.
However, I was in a bar yesterday with a friend and was typing a message on my phone. My friend, knowing nothing about FlickType, simply asked me if I was aware that everything I type is appearing in large font and that she could read every word I type.

So I wondered whether we could get a privacy toggle, for example a three finger double tap or something, that would allow us to disable this feature when in a public setting?
As I am now very self conscious when using the keyboard in such a setting.

Many thanks,

True, but I don't typically like using screen curtain.
And if I'm in a message thread, I'd rather not be like screen curtain on, screen curtain off, screen curtain on, screen curtain off...

On 8 Jun 2018, at 13:32, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Before you start typing, you could do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 2:31 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

As a low vision user, for the most part I really like the large text that appears as I type in the custom keyboard.
However, I was in a bar yesterday with a friend and was typing a message on my phone. My friend, knowing nothing about FlickType, simply asked me if I was aware that everything I type is appearing in large font and that she could read every word I type.

So I wondered whether we could get a privacy toggle, for example a three finger double tap or something, that would allow us to disable this feature when in a public setting?
As I am now very self conscious when using the keyboard in such a setting.

Many thanks,

Usually, when I'm on an airplane, I turn on the screen curtain and leave it on; letting VoiceOver take over.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 6:43 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

 ok, I turned on screen curtin  before using FlickType. And it worked. But if you try turning it on after selecting FlickType. It won't work.

Usually, when I'm on an airplane, I turn on the screen curtain and leave it on; letting VoiceOver take over.

> On Jun 8, 2018, at 6:43 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>

> True, but I don't typically like using screen curtain.
> And if I'm in a message thread, I'd rather not be like screen curtain on, screen curtain off, screen curtain on, screen curtain off...
>> On 8 Jun 2018, at 13:32, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>

>> Before you start typing, you could do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain.
>>
>>> On Jun 8, 2018, at 2:31 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Kosta and Ashley,
>>>
>>> As a low vision user, for the most part I really like the large text that appears as I type in the custom keyboard.
>>> However, I was in a bar yesterday with a friend and was typing a message on my phone. My friend, knowing nothing about FlickType, simply asked me if I was aware that everything I type is appearing in large font and that she could read every word I type.
>>>
>>> So I wondered whether we could get a privacy toggle, for example a three finger double tap or something, that would allow us to disable this feature when in a public setting?
>>> As I am now very self conscious when using the keyboard in such a setting.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Dave

Chuck Dean

Hi George,
 In that case, you can change to the iOS keyboard, do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain, then return to the FlickType keyboard.
 Chuck

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:01 AM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

 ok, I turned on screen curtin  before using FlickType. And it worked. But if you try turning it on after selecting FlickType. It won't work.

Usually, when I'm on an airplane, I turn on the screen curtain and leave it on; letting VoiceOver take over.

> On Jun 8, 2018, at 6:43 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>

> True, but I don't typically like using screen curtain.
> And if I'm in a message thread, I'd rather not be like screen curtain on, screen curtain off, screen curtain on, screen curtain off...
>> On 8 Jun 2018, at 13:32, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>

>> Before you start typing, you could do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain.
>>
>>> On Jun 8, 2018, at 2:31 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Kosta and Ashley,
>>>
>>> As a low vision user, for the most part I really like the large text that appears as I type in the custom keyboard.
>>> However, I was in a bar yesterday with a friend and was typing a message on my phone. My friend, knowing nothing about FlickType, simply asked me if I was aware that everything I type is appearing in large font and that she could read every word I type.
>>>
>>> So I wondered whether we could get a privacy toggle, for example a three finger double tap or something, that would allow us to disable this feature when in a public setting?
>>> As I am now very self conscious when using the keyboard in such a setting.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Dave

Chuck Dean

 Also, you can dismiss the keyboard, and then turn on the screen curtain... I just tried it, worked fine.