Topics

The Large Text and Privacy Concerns

David Nason

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

As a low vision user, for the most part I really like the large text that appears as I type in the custom keyboard.
However, I was in a bar yesterday with a friend and was typing a message on my phone. My friend, knowing nothing about FlickType, simply asked me if I was aware that everything I type is appearing in large font and that she could read every word I type.

So I wondered whether we could get a privacy toggle, for example a three finger double tap or something, that would allow us to disable this feature when in a public setting?
As I am now very self conscious when using the keyboard in such a setting.

Many thanks,
Dave

George Cham

That's a good point. I tried turning screen curtin on. But it did not work. I think privacy is an issue in open settings like a public place.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of David Nason <dnason@...>
Sent: Friday, June 8, 2018 7:31:13 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] The Large Text and Privacy Concerns

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

As a low vision user, for the most part I really like the large text that appears as I type in the custom keyboard.
 However, I was in a bar yesterday with a friend and was typing a message on my phone. My friend, knowing nothing about FlickType, simply asked me if I was aware that everything I type is appearing in large font and that she could read every word I type.

So I wondered whether we could get a privacy toggle, for example a three finger double tap or something, that would allow us to disable this feature when in a public setting?

Many thanks,
 Dave

Chuck Dean

Before you start typing, you could do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 2:31 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Many thanks,
Dave

David Nason

True, but I don't typically like using screen curtain.
And if I'm in a message thread, I'd rather not be like screen curtain on, screen curtain off, screen curtain on, screen curtain off...

On 8 Jun 2018, at 13:32, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Before you start typing, you could do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain.

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Many thanks,
Dave

Chuck Dean

Usually, when I'm on an airplane, I turn on the screen curtain and leave it on; letting VoiceOver take over.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 6:43 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

True, but I don't typically like using screen curtain.
And if I'm in a message thread, I'd rather not be like screen curtain on, screen curtain off, screen curtain on, screen curtain off...
On 8 Jun 2018, at 13:32, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Many thanks,
Dave

George Cham

ok, I turned on screen curtin  before using FlickType. And it worked. But if you try turning it on after selecting FlickType. It won't work.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 9, 2018 2:29:39 AM
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] The Large Text and Privacy Concerns

Usually, when I'm on an airplane, I turn on the screen curtain and leave it on; letting VoiceOver take over.

> On Jun 8, 2018, at 6:43 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>
>
> True, but I don't typically like using screen curtain.
> And if I'm in a message thread, I'd rather not be like screen curtain on, screen curtain off, screen curtain on, screen curtain off...
>> On 8 Jun 2018, at 13:32, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Before you start typing, you could do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain.
>>
>>> On Jun 8, 2018, at 2:31 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Kosta and Ashley,
>>>
>>> As a low vision user, for the most part I really like the large text that appears as I type in the custom keyboard.
>>> However, I was in a bar yesterday with a friend and was typing a message on my phone. My friend, knowing nothing about FlickType, simply asked me if I was aware that everything I type is appearing in large font and that she could read every word I type.
>>>
>>> So I wondered whether we could get a privacy toggle, for example a three finger double tap or something, that would allow us to disable this feature when in a public setting?
>>> As I am now very self conscious when using the keyboard in such a setting.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Chuck Dean

Hi George, 
 In that case, you can change to the iOS keyboard, do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain, then return to the FlickType keyboard. 
 Chuck 

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:01 AM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

ok, I turned on screen curtin  before using FlickType. And it worked. But if you try turning it on after selecting FlickType. It won't work.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>

>
>
> And if I'm in a message thread, I'd rather not be like screen curtain on, screen curtain off, screen curtain on, screen curtain off...
>>
>>
>> Before you start typing, you could do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain.
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Kosta and Ashley,
>>>
>>> As a low vision user, for the most part I really like the large text that appears as I type in the custom keyboard.
>>> However, I was in a bar yesterday with a friend and was typing a message on my phone. My friend, knowing nothing about FlickType, simply asked me if I was aware that everything I type is appearing in large font and that she could read every word I type.
>>>
>>> So I wondered whether we could get a privacy toggle, for example a three finger double tap or something, that would allow us to disable this feature when in a public setting?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Chuck Dean

Also, you can dismiss the keyboard, and then turn on the screen curtain... I just tried it, worked fine. 

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:34 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi George, 
 In that case, you can change to the iOS keyboard, do a three finger triple tap to turn on the screen curtain, then return to the FlickType keyboard. 
 Chuck 

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:01 AM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Kind Regards,

George Cham

>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Kosta and Ashley,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>