Topics

Subscription based apps

Chuck Dean

Hello everyone,
I have had subscription based apps in the past, none at the present time, so I am ok with the idea.
Obviously, a subscription will generates more revenue than a one time purchase, so I understand why it is prefered by Kosta and Ashley. And I think they deserve the money. I do wonder if the $3 a month charge may scare off some people, remembering the visually impaired community has about an 80% unemployment rate.

Personally, I have no money worries, and I will subscribe to the App to support the App, if for no other reason. But being a huge fan of FlickType classic, I wonder if others may be satisfied with the classic App.

Chuck

George Cham

Hi chuck and all, the cost of the monthly subscription will depend on the country that the user is in. I have 2 subscriptions from apple. I cloud, and I tunes match . Both are yearly subscriptions. My I cloud is a legacy plan. When apple introduced I cloud, they were offering yearly plans. I'm happy with this, even tho the monthly storage plans are great value here in Australia, I don't like apple taking money out of my card or store credit.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 5:50:07 AM
To: Alpha
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Subscription based apps

Hello everyone,
 I have had subscription based apps in the past, none at the present time, so I am ok with the idea.
 Obviously, a subscription will generates more revenue than a one time purchase, so I understand why it is prefered by Kosta and Ashley. And I think they deserve the money. I do wonder if the $3 a month charge may scare off some people, remembering the visually impaired community has about an 80% unemployment rate.

Personally, I have no money worries, and I will subscribe to the App to support the App, if for no other reason. But being a huge fan of FlickType classic, I wonder if others may be satisfied with the classic App.

Chuck

Sharon Kim

hello all,
yeah I'm not going to lie.
While I understand that you do generate more revenue doing it
subscription based, and now since I'm like relying on flicktype, I
might subscribe, but honestly, it would be better if there was a one
time payment.
I think, that more people are likely to buy it. As stated before,
there are a lot of blind and visually impaired people, who are short
on money, who do struggle from pay check to pay check, and may have to
save up a couple months to pay for the app.
I do understand, that you guys need the revenue. A lot of hard work
and dedication has gone to it.
That is completely understandable, but it is more likely you would
generate more revenue with one base price for the app. That is how
MBraille, and other keyboard apps do it.
Okay I'm done talking, thank you and have a lovely day.

On 6/16/18, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:
Hi chuck and all, the cost of the monthly subscription will depend on the
country that the user is in. I have 2 subscriptions from apple. I cloud, and
I tunes match . Both are yearly subscriptions. My I cloud is a legacy plan.
When apple introduced I cloud, they were offering yearly plans. I'm happy
with this, even tho the monthly storage plans are great value here in
Australia, I don't like apple taking money out of my card or store credit.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Hello everyone,
I have had subscription based apps in the past, none at the present time,
so I am ok with the idea.
Obviously, a subscription will generates more revenue than a one time
purchase, so I understand why it is prefered by Kosta and Ashley. And I
think they deserve the money. I do wonder if the $3 a month charge may scare
off some people, remembering the visually impaired community has about an
80% unemployment rate.

Personally, I have no money worries, and I will subscribe to the App to
support the App, if for no other reason. But being a huge fan of FlickType
classic, I wonder if others may be satisfied with the classic App.

Chuck

Salman Haider

I would prefer a one time charge as I stated in another email.
I understand a subscription based model, a monthly fee, may be the
preferred way to go for developers as it generates continuous income,
but I personally would not subscribe to it.
I would simply just stick to the free FlickType Classic app in that
case and just make do without the custom keyboard availability.

Salman

On 6/16/18, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,
80% unemployment rate.

Chuck

Michael Maslo

My worry about a one time charge is how does the developer continue with upgrades and continued work. If we want a reliable and revolving enhancements, we have to be willing to support them. Either a monthly or yearly upgrade policy should be adopted. For those who do not want or cannot afford it, the flick type is available for those individuals. That is my personal opinion. I would support monthly subscription. 

On Jun 16, 2018, at 15:04, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Hi chuck and all, the cost of the monthly subscription will depend on the country that the user is in. I have 2 subscriptions from apple. I cloud, and I tunes match . Both are yearly subscriptions. My I cloud is a legacy plan. When apple introduced I cloud, they were offering yearly plans. I'm happy with this, even tho the monthly storage plans are great value here in Australia, I don't like apple taking money out of my card or store credit.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>

Hello everyone,

Chuck

Ed Worrell

Hello A All,

I have also seen in a few apps that I use a one time purchase to unlock the full features of the app. Then they also have a tip jar, so people that want to help by contributing more to the app they can when ever they would like. I have seen this done a few different ways.

1. A tip that last 30 days and shows back up after the set time frame.

2. A persistent tip button. With a few different amounts.

3. Three year, Yearly or monthly subscriptions..

On Jun 16, 2018, at 2:42 PM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

I would prefer a one time charge as I stated in another email.
I understand a subscription based model, a monthly fee, may be the
preferred way to go for developers as it generates continuous income,
but I personally would not subscribe to it.
I would simply just stick to the free FlickType Classic app in that
case and just make do without the custom keyboard availability.

Salman

On 6/16/18, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,
80% unemployment rate.

Chuck

Michael Maslo

Hi chuck,

As you I have no money concerns. However for those who are unable to pay for the monthly subscription, there is still the classic version available to them. The developers have put a lot of time and energy into this project and deserve to get something back from the hard work and time they have already put into it. The reason for Fleksy going away was because of costs for developing. Why should they not be compensated for their work? We are talking about three dollars a month not ten dollars. My opinion and my frustration with our community.

On Jun 16, 2018, at 14:50, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Chuck

Chuck Dean

Hello Michael,
I totally agree that Kosta and Ashley should be compensated for their fine work. My concern is the two dollar and ninety nine cent subscription price may drive away some who are on limited income. I would think a dollar ninety nine cent price per month is more palatable, end also sounds like the subscription is only a dollar a month. An old marketer's ploy.
I imagine Kosta and Ashley has done some type of study to see what the demographic will go for.
Unfortunately, the App Store and its millions of ninety nine cent apps has turned many into cheapskates, expecting everything to cost a buck, instead of realizing that the limited market for this type of app will cause a higher price point.
My suggestion that the price may be a little high is intended to get the most cash for Kosta and Ashley, not vice versa.
Chuck

On Jun 16, 2018, at 1:55 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

Hi chuck,

As you I have no money concerns. However for those who are unable to pay for the monthly subscription, there is still the classic version available to them. The developers have put a lot of time and energy into this project and deserve to get something back from the hard work and time they have already put into it. The reason for Fleksy going away was because of costs for developing. Why should they not be compensated for their work? We are talking about three dollars a month not ten dollars. My opinion and my frustration with our community.

Hello everyone,

Chuck

Michael Maslo

Hello chuck, 

Yes I agree with you. 1.99 is a reasonable price. I agree with you that the developers need compensation. It should be a price which is within a price range for the consumers being served. I do not want to drive the mind community to be left out because of a price. I want to see the custom keyboard developed and maintained. 

Lets hope there is some tie of compromise. 

Sincerely,, mike 

On Jun 16, 2018 at 17:15, <Chuck Dean> wrote:

Hello Michael,

I totally agree that Kosta and Ashley should be compensated for their fine work. My concern is the two dollar and ninety nine cent subscription price may drive away some who are on limited income. I would think a dollar ninety nine cent price per month is more palatable, end also sounds like the subscription is only a dollar a month. An old marketer's ploy.
I imagine Kosta and Ashley has done some type of study to see what the demographic will go for.
Unfortunately, the App Store and its millions of ninety nine cent apps has turned many into cheapskates, expecting everything to cost a buck, instead of realizing that the limited market for this type of app will cause a higher price point.
My suggestion that the price may be a little high is intended to get the most cash for Kosta and Ashley, not vice versa.
Chuck

> On Jun 16, 2018, at 1:55 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:
>
> Hi chuck,
>
> As you I have no money concerns. However for those who are unable to pay for the monthly subscription, there is still the classic version available to them. The developers have put a lot of time and energy into this project and deserve to get something back from the hard work and time they have already put into it. The reason for Fleksy going away was because of costs for developing. Why should they not be compensated for their work? We are talking about three dollars a month not ten dollars. My opinion and my frustration with our community.
>> On Jun 16, 2018, at 14:50, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>> I have had subscription based apps in the past, none at the present time, so I am ok with the idea.
>> Obviously, a subscription will generates more revenue than a one time purchase, so I understand why it is prefered by Kosta and Ashley. And I think they deserve the money. I do wonder if the $3 a month charge may scare off some people, remembering the visually impaired community has about an 80% unemployment rate.
>>
>> Personally, I have no money worries, and I will subscribe to the App to support the App, if for no other reason. But being a huge fan of FlickType classic, I wonder if others may be satisfied with the classic App.
>>
>> Chuck
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Sharon Kim

Hello all,
Chuck and Michael, you two bring up valid points.
However, my thought is, that no other custom keyboard, has it
subscription based. I've talked with several of my friends, whom I
have spoken to about regarding this app.
It is kind of a concensus, that paying a subscription for a keyboard
is a bit... off the cuff.
I'm not saying, that Kosta and Ashley shouldn't be rewarded for their
time effort and dedication. I've already stated in my previous post,
that they should be.
However, while I can see, how a subscription can generate a bit of
revenue, in the long run, a lot less people will end up getting it.
Just because people don't usually subscribe for a keyboard.
A one time fee of like ten dollars, would work, that's what other
keyboards, such as MBraille does.
Their classic app is free, but then to get the system wide keyboard,
you have to pay for it.
Okay sorry, doen rambling.

On 6/16/18, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

Hello chuck,

Yes I agree with you. 1.99 is a reasonable price. I agree with you that
the developers need compensation. It should be a price which is within a
price range for the consumers being served. I do not want to drive the mind
community to be left out because of a price. I want to see the custom
keyboard developed and maintained.

Sincerely,, mike

On Jun 16, 2018 at 17:15, <Chuck Dean (mailto:cadean329@...)>
wrote:

Hello Michael,
I totally agree that Kosta and Ashley should be compensated for their fine
work. My concern is the two dollar and ninety nine cent subscription price
may drive away some who are on limited income. I would think a dollar
ninety nine cent price per month is more palatable, end also sounds like
the subscription is only a dollar a month. An old marketer's ploy.
I imagine Kosta and Ashley has done some type of study to see what the
demographic will go for.
Unfortunately, the App Store and its millions of ninety nine cent apps has
turned many into cheapskates, expecting everything to cost a buck, instead
of realizing that the limited market for this type of app will cause a
higher price point.
My suggestion that the price may be a little high is intended to get the
most cash for Kosta and Ashley, not vice versa.
Chuck

On Jun 16, 2018, at 1:55 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...>
wrote:

Hi chuck,

As you I have no money concerns. However for those who are unable to
pay for the monthly subscription, there is still the classic version
available to them. The developers have put a lot of time and energy into
this project and deserve to get something back from the hard work and
time they have already put into it. The reason for Fleksy going away was
because of costs for developing. Why should they not be compensated for
their work? We are talking about three dollars a month not ten dollars.
My opinion and my frustration with our community.

Hello everyone,
I have had subscription based apps in the past, none at the present
time, so I am ok with the idea.
think they deserve the money. I do wonder if the $3 a month charge may
scare off some people, remembering the visually impaired community has
about an 80% unemployment rate.

Personally, I have no money worries, and I will subscribe to the App
to support the App, if for no other reason. But being a huge fan of
FlickType classic, I wonder if others may be satisfied with the classic
App.

Chuck

Michael Maslo

A one time charge will not ensure that development on this application would continue. This application is primarily blind users which means there is a very small base. Ten dollar one time fee would face the same issues of to expensive and not work it. Again continued proceeds coming in would assist in development for both keyboards. You are right there are few keyboards which offer a subscription based model but this is the only keyboard which offer the exceptional abilities for the blind community. You do not see other developers doing anything even close to this for our community.

You bring up valid concerns but again for who cannot afford or do not want to pay for the custom keyboard they still have the classic keyboard to use.

If the pricing is reasonable than the people who want to subscribe can and the ones who don't, do not subscribe.

The decisions which are being made we will as a separate unit have to decide what we are willing to pay or not pay when it is released.

Each of us could talk over and over about this topic and we all will stand by what we feel. That is the beautiful thing about being human. We sometimes will agree to disagree. Also what is good and viable for me may not be for you.

On Jun 16, 2018, at 19:13, Sharon Kim <sharon.mi.kim22@...> wrote:

Hello all,
Chuck and Michael, you two bring up valid points.
However, my thought is, that no other custom keyboard, has it
subscription based. I've talked with several of my friends, whom I
have spoken to about regarding this app.
It is kind of a concensus, that paying a subscription for a keyboard
is a bit... off the cuff.
I'm not saying, that Kosta and Ashley shouldn't be rewarded for their
time effort and dedication. I've already stated in my previous post,
that they should be.
However, while I can see, how a subscription can generate a bit of
revenue, in the long run, a lot less people will end up getting it.
Just because people don't usually subscribe for a keyboard.
A one time fee of like ten dollars, would work, that's what other
keyboards, such as MBraille does.
Their classic app is free, but then to get the system wide keyboard,
you have to pay for it.
Okay sorry, doen rambling.

On 6/16/18, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

Hello chuck,

Yes I agree with you. 1.99 is a reasonable price. I agree with you that
the developers need compensation. It should be a price which is within a
price range for the consumers being served. I do not want to drive the mind
community to be left out because of a price. I want to see the custom
keyboard developed and maintained.

Sincerely,, mike

On Jun 16, 2018 at 17:15, <Chuck Dean (mailto:cadean329@...)>
wrote:

Hello Michael,
I totally agree that Kosta and Ashley should be compensated for their fine
work. My concern is the two dollar and ninety nine cent subscription price
may drive away some who are on limited income. I would think a dollar
ninety nine cent price per month is more palatable, end also sounds like
the subscription is only a dollar a month. An old marketer's ploy.
I imagine Kosta and Ashley has done some type of study to see what the
demographic will go for.
Unfortunately, the App Store and its millions of ninety nine cent apps has
turned many into cheapskates, expecting everything to cost a buck, instead
of realizing that the limited market for this type of app will cause a
higher price point.
My suggestion that the price may be a little high is intended to get the
most cash for Kosta and Ashley, not vice versa.
Chuck

On Jun 16, 2018, at 1:55 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...>
wrote:

Hi chuck,

As you I have no money concerns. However for those who are unable to
pay for the monthly subscription, there is still the classic version
available to them. The developers have put a lot of time and energy into
this project and deserve to get something back from the hard work and
time they have already put into it. The reason for Fleksy going away was
because of costs for developing. Why should they not be compensated for
their work? We are talking about three dollars a month not ten dollars.
My opinion and my frustration with our community.

Hello everyone,
I have had subscription based apps in the past, none at the present
time, so I am ok with the idea.
think they deserve the money. I do wonder if the $3 a month charge may
scare off some people, remembering the visually impaired community has
about an 80% unemployment rate.

Personally, I have no money worries, and I will subscribe to the App
to support the App, if for no other reason. But being a huge fan of
FlickType classic, I wonder if others may be satisfied with the classic