Topics

Single word spell

Benny Barber

Kosta and Ashley,

This may be a silly and unfeasible idea. I am not fond of having the spell words feature on, but sometimes it is difficult to know if you have entered the correct word. This is because some words can sound very similar. Would it be possible to have a gesture to spell just the one word that you just entered? Just a thought. Thanks.

Benny

Ed Worrell

Hello All,

I agree with this idea. I have found that sometimes when typing with FlickType and I pause just long enough the spell feature takes over and it is spelling words when I am typing. This is very distracting. Maybe a two finger double tap on the keyboard could invoke the single word spell option. This is a very common gesture for VO users, and it would be a great place to use it.

Ed

On Apr 25, 2018, at 9:56 AM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Kosta and Ashley,

This may be a silly and unfeasible idea. I am not fond of having the spell words feature on, but sometimes it is difficult to know if you have entered the correct word. This is because some words can sound very similar. Would it be possible to have a gesture to spell just the one word that you just entered? Just a thought. Thanks.

Benny

Chanelle Allen

Hello,
At first, I thought that the single word spell feature would be a great idea. It would be useful if FlickType continues to be a self-contained app; however, FlickType is being developed as a system-wide keyboard. So, if we are not sure about hearing a word correctly, we will be able to return to the text area where VoiceOver commands may be used to review what has been written. Still, if developing a gesture or method for hearing the spelling of one word is feasible and doesn't conflict with anything else, the feature would be useful. On the other hand, for me, a gesture that could read back the last few words or a phrase I typed would be extremely helpful. I think that each of us wants a little something different from FlickType. Right now, FlickType is a wonderful app that will only keep getting better. I am glad that it is in the App store available for many to enjoy and utilize.
Chanelle

On Apr 25, 2018, at 13:35, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback.

Spelling of the last word should be interrupted by the typing of the next one, but it seems this is currently broken and quite annoying. I will try to fix that soon.

On having a gesture to spell the last word, I will definitely consider that once we nail down the more fundamental set of gestures in the new custom keyboard. One additional thought here is that since you will be able to move the cursor, maybe always spelling the current word after the cursor moves could provide a happy medium, where there’s no extra gesture, and you can keep the spell words turned off. Moving the cursor back and then forward again would effectively be the gesture to both read back as well as spell the last entered word. Would love to hear thoughts on that.

Kosta

Chanelle Allen

Hi Kosta,
I like your idea. Typing a word did interrupt spelling of the previous word, so nothing was broken on my end. Hearing the spelling sometimes interrupted my train of thought when deciding how to complete a sentence or express an idea, but that is no big deal. I have not disabled the spell words feature in FlickType, and I now have a good reason for leaving it on. I noticed that the word “characters” was spelled with an apostrophe s when typing with the FlickType keyboard and going back over my text. With spell words turned off, the only indication of an apostrophe would come from VoiceOver if punctuation was set to all. Right now, the FlickType keyboard does not spell out words. Having a way for FlickType to indicate whether its suggestions are capitalized or have an apostrophe might be helpful.
Your suggestion of the two finger flick to read and spell back provides a happy medium. As long as a two finger flick would cut off spelling if someone did not want to hear everything spelled back, the gesture could be useful. If a word is incorrect, we could either flick down for suggestions or return to the standard keyboard to fix it. Since we already have a gesture to dismiss the keyboard at the cursor location, we could just use VoiceOver rotor gestures to read the spelling of a word. I was just now able to flick two fingers left, tap and hold to switch back to the regular keyboard and then use the rotor to read back the characters of the last word I typed. The only problem is that not actually typing on the standard keyboard results in the Emoji keyboard being next to come up unless I delete it, which is tempting. I wish that Apple could provide a three finger flick right or left gesture to switch between keyboards or allowed us to create our own gesture to more efficiently switch keyboards and speed up the editing process.
revisiting the read and spell issue might be more beneficial at a later point after a few kings have been worked out and oncewe have had some time to get adjusted to the new keyboard.
Thank you.
Chanelle