Topics

Introducing the FlickType custom keyboard

We are super excited to share with you the first ever version of the FlickType custom keyboard, which can be used inside every app. We really can't wait to hear what you all think! Smile.

Please note: this is a very early version. We expect to go through many iterations and significant changes before even releasing this to the wider beta group. Things to keep in mind:

- As soon as you update to this build, you must first launch the FlickType app once before attempting to use it as a custom keyboard.
- To install as a custom keyboard, go to the iOS Settings, FlickType, Keyboard and turn it on.
- To use, go to any textfield such as a note or mail field and double tap to edit. Switch to FlickType from the "Next keyboard" icon towards the bottom left of the iOS keyboard.
- To dismiss FlickType, flick down with two fingers. This gesture may change.
- To control the cursor, flick left or right with two fingers. Currently the cursor moves one word or punctuation at a time. You can also edit the selected suggestion of previously typed words or punctuation marks.
- There is currently no way to explore the keyboard and type characters accurately. Instead, the usual tap and hold will switch you back to the iOS keyboard where you can perform that task and come back. This also means there is no custom dictionary management at the moment, and your existing words will not work yet.
- There are no settings to configure, neither is any functionality of the main app settings present, such as spelling or raise to read back.
- Fast typing with multiple fingers may result in missed taps.
- Tap sound effects are a bit delayed as they play on touch up rather than touch down.
- Flick gestures do not have any sound effects.
- There is no flick left and hold gesture to delete faster.
- The first ever word you type may take a couple of seconds to be announced.
- When beginning to edit a textfield with existing text, only the current sentence will be editable within FlickType. You may hear "beginning of document" or "end of document" as you navigate using the cursor. This does not necessarily indicate there is no more text in the textfield, you just can't navigate to it right from within FlickType.
- There is no keyboard displayed on the screen.
- Works in landscape mode.

There's probably a lot more things that are missing or different. By becoming more integrated into your flow, there's also a lot of things that we are looking to learn from this release. Please experiment as much as possible, tell us what works well, but also tell us what the biggest pain points are. Finally, this is completely uncharted territory, so besides positive and negative feedback we are also hoping to hear your more general ideas about what the ideal FlickType custom keyboard could be, so that we can make it happen.

We are both really looking forward to hearing what you all think, smile!

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

George Cham

Hi Coster and Ashley, when will this new build ve out?

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26

Get Outlook<https://aka.ms/qtex0l> for iOS
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 3:07:26 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Introducing the FlickType custom keyboard

We are super excited to share with you the first ever version of the FlickType custom keyboard, which can be used inside every app. We really can't wait to hear what you all think! Smile.

Please note: this is a very early version. We expect to go through many iterations and significant changes before even releasing this to the wider beta group. Things to keep in mind:

- As soon as you update to this build, you must first launch the FlickType app once before attempting to use it as a custom keyboard.
- To install as a custom keyboard, go to the iOS Settings, FlickType, Keyboard and turn it on.
- To use, go to any textfield such as a note or mail field and double tap to edit. Switch to FlickType from the "Next keyboard" icon towards the bottom left of the iOS keyboard.
- To control the cursor, flick left or right with two fingers. Currently the cursor moves one word or punctuation at a time. You can also edit the selected suggestion of previously typed words or punctuation marks.
- There is currently no way to explore the keyboard and type characters accurately. Instead, the usual tap and hold will switch you back to the iOS keyboard where you can perform that task and come back. This also means there is no custom dictionary management at the moment, and your existing words will not work yet.
- There are no settings to configure, neither is any functionality of the main app settings present, such as spelling or raise to read back.
- Tap sound effects are a bit delayed as they play on touch up rather than touch down.
- When beginning to edit a textfield with existing text, only the current sentence will be editable within FlickType. You may hear "beginning of document" or "end of document" as you navigate using the cursor. This does not necessarily indicate there is no more text in the textfield, you just can't navigate to it right from within FlickType.

There's probably a lot more things that are missing or different. By becoming more integrated into your flow, there's also a lot of things that we are looking to learn from this release. Please experiment as much as possible, tell us what works well, but also tell us what the biggest pain points are. Finally, this is completely uncharted territory, so besides positive and negative feedback we are also hoping to hear your more general ideas about what the ideal FlickType custom keyboard could be, so that we can make it happen.

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

You should already have build 1.1(50) available on TestFlight, but maybe TestFlight is acting up?
- Kosta

George Cham

Will take a look, don’t remember getting any notifications.

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 3:47:21 PM
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Introducing the FlickType custom keyboard

You should already have build 1.1(50) available on TestFlight, but maybe TestFlight is acting up?
- Kosta

George Cham

Downloaded the latest version, when I chose Flick Type from the keyboard within the app the whole screen went black.

Kind regards,

George Cham

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 3:48:57 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io; alpha@flicktype.groups.io

Kind regards,

George Cham

- Kosta

This is expected. As I mentioned in the release notes, there is no visible keyboard shown on the screen. Can you type? Do you hear tap sounds?

I’m going to sleep now, but will check the comments tomorrow.

Thanks,
- Kosta

George Cham

Now I see what's going on. The screen goes black, and as I type, the words come on the screen. Can we have the option of making the backround white background with black writing Or black background with white writing?

Kind regards,

George Cham

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 3:53:14 PM

Downloaded the latest version, when I chose Flick Type from the keyboard within the app the whole screen went black.

Kind regards,

George Cham

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 3:48:57 PM

Kind regards,

George Cham

- Kosta

Chuck Dean

Hi Kosta,
When I tried to turn on FlickType keyboard, I went to settings, Fliktype, and all I had was the following,
ALLOW FLICKTYPE TO ACCESS Heading

Chuck

On Apr 26, 2018, at 11:01 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

This is expected. As I mentioned in the release notes, there is no visible keyboard shown on the screen. Can you type? Do you hear tap sounds?

Thanks,
- Kosta

George Cham

You need to install the latest version from TestFlight which is what I did.

Kind regards,

George Cham

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 4:05:25 PM

Hi Kosta,
When I tried to turn on FlickType keyboard, I went to settings, Fliktype, and all I had was the following,
ALLOW FLICKTYPE TO ACCESS Heading

Chuck

On Apr 26, 2018, at 11:01 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thanks,
- Kosta

I think TestFlight didn’t send the notifications for some reason. You need to make sure you install version 1.1(50).
Kosta

Macster

Good morning Kosta and Ashley. Great job on getting the prototype of the system wide keyboard out so quickly after the release of the app itself. As you say, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles yet but I like it already and I can see the potential for it is huge.

The typing is crisp and smooth as I've come to expect. I noticed in the notes you said the dictionary isn't available yet, with the key word being yet. My only concern here the press and hold function will take us back to the standard keyboard, but when it comes to entering a word manually in future it's going to be very difficult for that reason. Plus, I presume /hope the symbols, punctuation, row above the keyboard is going to be added? Using the press and hold gesture would again make using this more difficult.

I love the two fingers flick left or right for going through what I've typed. This is incredible useful. Not a bug, but I need to learn that when flicking left back through a sentence and if I wanted to add a word, the focus is still after the word that has just been announced even though I'm going backwards effectively.

The flick down gesture to dismiss the keyboard, if I was writing an email and I wanted to add a new line then this wouldn't be possible at the moment? I'm presuming this is why you said this gesture might be changed in future.

And finally, once I've dismissed the keyboard using two fingers swipe down, I can't flick right between the previous text messages, the text field, and the send button. I hope this can be addressed? Feeling about the screen to find the send button when it's normally a flick left away is slightly frustrating.
I
I hope this is useful information, but as I said at the start its great for such an early version!

Many thanks,

Alan

MariaRosa Chapman

HI.

I was able to install the custom keyboard with no problems, enter notes and select the keyboard and type a note. I am not sure how to go to a new line either, since the 2 finger flick down dismisses the keyboard. The 1 finger tap and hold works, but I understand this will change.

haven’t found anything else yet.

Maria

On 27 Apr 2018, at 5:45 pm, Macster <@Macster> wrote:

Good morning Kosta and Ashley. Great job on getting the prototype of the system wide keyboard out so quickly after the release of the app itself. As you say, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles yet but I like it already and I can see the potential for it is huge.

The typing is crisp and smooth as I've come to expect. I noticed in the notes you said the dictionary isn't available yet, with the key word being yet. My only concern here the press and hold function will take us back to the standard keyboard, but when it comes to entering a word manually in future it's going to be very difficult for that reason. Plus, I presume /hope the symbols, punctuation, row above the keyboard is going to be added? Using the press and hold gesture would again make using this more difficult.

I love the two fingers flick left or right for going through what I've typed. This is incredible useful. Not a bug, but I need to learn that when flicking left back through a sentence and if I wanted to add a word, the focus is still after the word that has just been announced even though I'm going backwards effectively.

The flick down gesture to dismiss the keyboard, if I was writing an email and I wanted to add a new line then this wouldn't be possible at the moment? I'm presuming this is why you said this gesture might be changed in future.

And finally, once I've dismissed the keyboard using two fingers swipe down, I can't flick right between the previous text messages, the text field, and the send button. I hope this can be addressed? Feeling about the screen to find the send button when it's normally a flick left away is slightly frustrating.
I
I hope this is useful information, but as I said at the start its great for such an early version!

Many thanks,

Alan

Macster

Here's a quick tip for making FlickType the default keyboard. Go to settings, general, keyboard, then keyboards. At the top right, there is an edit button. Click that and then you can reorder the keyboards you have installed in any order you like. As a wise man once said, I love it when a plan comes together!

Macky

Nozi <noziphokhanda@...>

Thanks for all your hard work costa and Ashley. Its a great early version of the system wide keyboard. I haven't figured out how to go to the next line though. I've also noticed that it doesn't come up as an option in some apps like my journal app. Anyone else notice that?

Santiago

Thank you for all the work you're putting in to the development of this keyboard. I'm really excited for its potential once it's stable. I'm hoping some of the bugs aren't part of the operating system itself, because that could possibly hold back the development and release of the keyboard.

On Apr 27, 2018, at 2:59 AM, Nozi <noziphokhanda@...> wrote:

Thanks for all your hard work costa and Ashley. Its a great early version of the system wide keyboard. I haven't figured out how to go to the next line though. I've also noticed that it doesn't come up as an option in some apps like my journal app. Anyone else notice that?

George Cham

I've updated to the latest version of FlickType, to enable me to use the system wide keyboard.
When I go to settings on I pad, FlickType is not listed in the apps, so I can not give it access.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 8:03:40 PM

Thank you for all the work you're putting in to the development of this keyboard. I'm really excited for its potential once it's stable. I'm hoping some of the bugs aren't part of the operating system itself, because that could possibly hold back the development and release of the keyboard.

George Cham

I've just gone back to build 45, and FlickType does not show up as an app on the I pad. Using the latest version of iOS.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 8:17:40 PM

I've updated to the latest version of FlickType, to enable me to use the system wide keyboard.
When I go to settings on I pad, FlickType is not listed in the apps, so I can not give it access.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 8:03:40 PM

Kosta and Ashley,

Congrats on getting the first alpha of the stand-alone FlickType keyboard out so quickly. I'm seeing what I think lust be it listed in TestFlight as FlickType keyboard version 1.1-50. I haven't seen anything mentioned in the posts to this thread stating whether installing the alpha version of the stand-alone keyboard will affect whether the separate FlickType app I've already come to love and depend on will still be available. I'm assuming based on an earlier comment you made that the separate FlickType app would always be available means that it will be but I hate to make assumptions especially where alpha software is concerned.

Can you confirm that I'll still be able to access the FlickType separate app that has been officially released if I install the stand-alone alpha keyboard?

Thanks.

Alan Lemly

On Apr 27, 2018, at 12:07 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Ed Worrell

It seems to function just find for me. The stand alone app doesn't seem to be affected by the keyboard extension. I hope this helps. Ed

On Apr 27, 2018, at 8:03 AM, Alan Lemly <@walemly> wrote:

Kosta and Ashley,

Congrats on getting the first alpha of the stand-alone FlickType keyboard out so quickly. I'm seeing what I think lust be it listed in TestFlight as FlickType keyboard version 1.1-50. I haven't seen anything mentioned in the posts to this thread stating whether installing the alpha version of the stand-alone keyboard will affect whether the separate FlickType app I've already come to love and depend on will still be available. I'm assuming based on an earlier comment you made that the separate FlickType app would always be available means that it will be but I hate to make assumptions especially where alpha software is concerned.

Can you confirm that I'll still be able to access the FlickType separate app that has been officially released if I install the stand-alone alpha keyboard?

Thanks.

Alan Lemly
On Apr 27, 2018, at 12:07 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Serina Gilbert

Thanks so much for getting this out so fast. I have a suggestion. With a system wide keyboard I oftentimes need access to the app that I am typing in. For example, if I am searching for a product in a grocery shopping app the app will automatically suggest items as I enter words. Would it be possible to have the keyboard only take up half of the screen?