Topics

Built 50

Chuck Dean

Built 50
Hello, I have been using the system wide keyboard for a while and I thought of the following:
I would like to see the two finger swipe down to return as the add a new line gesture. I keep doing it by habit.
The two finger swipe left and right to move the cursor works well, but I would also like these gestures to be returned to their previous jobs. I don't think I'll be moving the cursor very often, so a different gesture, like a three finger swipe, or double tap and hold may be a better option. When using the stand alone app I use the two finger swipe up to invoke the menu, so I think this would be a better choice for closing FlickType instead of the two finger swipe down.

I disagree with those who want the keyboard to take half the screen, I think they are missing the point of FlickType. In those situations when they must see the screen they can revert back to the iOS keyboard.

Thanks for all your good work,

the point of flicktype is to type quickly and efficiently. I believe there should maybe be an option to make the keyboard half scream. To some the extra gestures slow down the experience. Just my thoughts. Ed

On Apr 27, 2018, at 9:29 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

When you need to return to the app you are typing in, simply tap and hold anywhere on the screen to diminish the FlickType keyboard and switch to another keyboard. Then after you do what you need to do, go to the switch keyboard button and open FlickType again.
This will be a new way to type., so we need to think outside the box. :)

Chuck

On Apr 27, 2018, at 8:43 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the feedback.

A gesture for entering new line will be added soon. Regarding the gesture to dismiss, and how it is different from the main app, my thinking is that we should experiment starting from a blank state and not be tied to how things are currently done in the main app. In fact, it’s very possible that some things will change in the main app to reflect our findings from the custom keyboard, because I agree that they should be unified. As some have already pointed out, flicking down with two fingers seems more appropriate since this is the direction where the keyboard moves towards when it is dismissed, but I am definitely open to hearing arguments on why the flick up might be more appropriate.

On having an option to make the keyboard half screen rather than full screen, it’s definitely something we’d like to offer as soon as the full screen experience becomes usable and reliable, because it simplifies a lot of things on the development side. I’ve also previously expressed my opinion that full screen would generally be a better experience, but if this proves to be such a popular request we might even make the default be half screen with the option of making it full screen. To determine that we will probably need to get feedback from the larger beta group, and the key might be to provide an easy gesture to change that on the fly, like a three finger flick up or down. Another related factor here is that I have some ideas on how to further help folks that have some vision, and this would require FlickType to be full screen.

Kosta

Michael Maslo

Hello, I just received beta fifty and I really like it a lot. I have seen a few items which may have been brought up before and if so I apologize. First sometimes when I try to delete a word, it will the I typing plus the word previous. I can type two words and flick to the right to hear the second word. When I flick left to delete the last word I heard deleted the word plus the word before an other words instead of just deleting one word it deleted both words. Secondly, after you make flick type my primary keyboard, it keeps back to a different keyboard when I open app or type a different text or even if I am trying to type a manual word. I hope these issues I have seen make sense.

On Apr 27, 2018 at 14:45, <FlickType (mailto:@FlickType)> wrote:

[...]

Andrew McKay

Hello,

Just concurring with some earlier feedback--One of my most major issues with the first alpha build is that I also highly desire to see a standard size keyboard--AKA half screen. I find the whole screen keyboard very bothersome for reviewing information while typing in a field.

Andrew