Topics

Build 80

Please note: This update replaces the container app with an entirely new app, and some features are not yet implemented. If you need the old container app for any reason, you can always switch back to an older build from TestFlight.

What's new:
- Brand new container app which helps us set the right foundation for the future.
- The first tab is called "Type", and is where you can use the built-in keyboard to type something and then export it using the top right share button.
- The second tab is called "Settings", and currently has some, but not all, of the previous app options. Your settings from previous versions should carry over.
- The third tab is called "Dictionary", and gives you full control of all your dictionary entries. You can read, delete or insert new entries using familiar iOS controls. All your dictionary entries from previous versions should carry over.

Thank you for testing!
Kosta & Ashley

Ed Worrell

Hello Kosta and Ashley,

This is awesome! The new container application simplifies things greatly. I love the new ability to add words to the dictionary. Great job!

On a bug note: I have been noticing that the flick up to add emojis and the flick up and hold to switch keyboards is kicking me back to the home screen as my iPhone X seems to think that I am performing the home gesture. I am about a1/2 inch from the bottom of the keyboard when I am typing. This behavior has gotten worse in the first build of iOS 12(Just FYI). I can’t seem to get it to do this every time as of right now, it seems to be at random. This honestly could be human error as well. Just wanted to point out the issue.

Thanks again for all of the great work you two are doing.

Ed Worrell

On Jun 6, 2018, at 9:54 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Please note: This update replaces the container app with an entirely new app, and some features are not yet implemented. If you need the old container app for any reason, you can always switch back to an older build from TestFlight.

What's new:
- Brand new container app which helps us set the right foundation for the future.
- The first tab is called "Type", and is where you can use the built-in keyboard to type something and then export it using the top right share button.
- The second tab is called "Settings", and currently has some, but not all, of the previous app options. Your settings from previous versions should carry over.
- The third tab is called "Dictionary", and gives you full control of all your dictionary entries. You can read, delete or insert new entries using familiar iOS controls. All your dictionary entries from previous versions should carry over.

Thank you for testing!
Kosta & Ashley

Chuck Dean

Build 80

Hello,
Ok, I see what you are doing here, unifying the two keyboards.
Everything seems to be working ok, but I have a suggestion.
I assume the keyboard must be dismissed in order to access the control buttons at the top and the tabs at the bottom. I think the dismiss and next keyboard buttons should be turned on by default for those who have trouble with the flick and hold gesture.

Also the flick left and hold no longer does a rapid delete, and closing the App no longer does a copy and erase. Both of those features were huge, in my opinion, while using the App.

Btw I am using the App to type this.

Chanelle Allen

Hi Kosta and Ashley,
The new FlickType build is great! I like the simplified container app and how we are able to easily view and edit dictionary entries. The best thing of all for me is that my tap volume settings remain consistent in both the new app and keyboard. I am looking forward to playing around with the new app/build, but I am most excited about not having to hear my taps so loud! 😀 😎 to most people, this isn't a big deal, but their is some expression about the little things in life being worthwhile. Thank you very much. I wonder if their is a way to eliminate or reduce the volume of the clicks when manually typing. Is their a setting on my phone that I need to change?
Chanelle

On Jun 6, 2018, at 10:54, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

What's new:

Thank you for testing!
Kosta & Ashley

George Cham

Hi costa and Ashley, love the built 80. However I don't like the new container look. Too dark. Can you make it just a bit brighter? Apart from that, I like the tabs in the app, and the dictionary option to add and remove words with using the VoiceOver roter action.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2018 2:55:47 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 80

Hi Kosta and Ashley,
 The new FlickType build is great! I like the simplified container app and how we are able to easily view and edit dictionary entries. The best thing of all for me is that my tap volume settings remain consistent in both the new app and keyboard. I am looking forward to playing around with the new app/build, but I am most excited about not having to hear my taps so loud! 😀 😎 to most people, this isn't a big deal, but their is some expression about the little things in life being worthwhile. Thank you very much. I wonder if their is a way to eliminate or reduce the volume of the clicks when manually typing. Is their a setting on my phone that I need to change?
 Chanelle

> On Jun 6, 2018, at 10:54, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> Please note: This update replaces the container app with an entirely new app, and some features are not yet implemented. If you need the old container app for any reason, you can always switch back to an older build from TestFlight.
>
> What's new:
> - Brand new container app which helps us set the right foundation for the future.
> - The first tab is called "Type", and is where you can use the built-in keyboard to type something and then export it using the top right share button.
> - The second tab is called "Settings", and currently has some, but not all, of the previous app options. Your settings from previous versions should carry over.
> - The third tab is called "Dictionary", and gives you full control of all your dictionary entries. You can read, delete or insert new entries using familiar iOS controls. All your dictionary entries from previous versions should carry over.
>
> Thank you for testing!
> Kosta & Ashley
>
>
>

Salman Haider

My view point will probably be an unpopular one, but I do not thing the main app, which is being referred to as the container app now, should have been changed. I have always felt a sense of comfort knowing that while the custom keyboard is still being developed and still has bugs and other issues to iron out, at least the app has existed in its stable, snappy state as a backup for any situation. Also, this could strictly be my experience, but I have always found the app to be more accurate in its prediction than the custom keyboard. It has simply always been better from that standpoint, which I think is the core of the FlickType concept. The ability to type seamlessly, quickly and accurately.
Not to say that I have not been using the custom keyboard, in fact, I pretty much use it pretty exclusively now. But still, just as a sidenote opinion, I have just always found the app to be very stable, snappy, and accurate overall. So I personally don't like the fact that it was changed up. Why not keep a very stable version of the app as a backup? Especially while the custom keyboard is in development? I understand that you may want to unify them at some point, but couldn't this have waited? Why do it right now, when there already are various issues to fix?
Why not keep the stable version around as a backup, which seems to do better with prediction in general, compared to the custom keyboard.
I know, this will be very unpopular feedback. And that is fine. I am sure others find the new concept much better, and I respect that. I just wanted to give my feedback on it. I do not expect most people to agree. I think this could have waited and the main app should not have been changed. Not right now at least. At least it should be kept available as a backup, while the other stuff is still in development and is buggy.
Yes, I also know that I can revert back to an older build if I want the older container app. But I just find it a little sad that that very stable build will eventually no longer exist in its original state. I just think it was changed too soon. And unnecessarily.
Salman

On Jun 6, 2018, at 11:54 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

What's new:

Thank you for testing!
Kosta & Ashley

George Cham

Ok, just been playing around with adding words to the dictionary. I typed a word into the main app, then went to share. 
 I then selected copy. 
 When I tried to pest it into the text field of dictionary, and then tapped on done. I got a message saying that only words were allowed. 
 I then typed it into the dictionary again, and it worked. 

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

Salmab,

I agree with you. I use the main app to do the large majority of my typing on my iPhone 7 and if build 80 has changed it to this container configuration, I won't be upgrading from build 75.

I'll be interested to hear Kosta's reply to why the main app was changed at this time. I'm sure I'll come around because he obviously knows what he's doing but I'm not willing to risk my main form of iOS input at this time.

Alan Lemly

On Jun 6, 2018, at 3:35 PM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

My view point will probably be an unpopular one, but I do not thing the main app, which is being referred to as the container app now, should have been changed. I have always felt a sense of comfort knowing that while the custom keyboard is still being developed and still has bugs and other issues to iron out, at least the app has existed in its stable, snappy state as a backup for any situation. Also, this could strictly be my experience, but I have always found the app to be more accurate in its prediction than the custom keyboard. It has simply always been better from that standpoint, which I think is the core of the FlickType concept. The ability to type seamlessly, quickly and accurately.
Not to say that I have not been using the custom keyboard, in fact, I pretty much use it pretty exclusively now. But still, just as a sidenote opinion, I have just always found the app to be very stable, snappy, and accurate overall. So I personally don't like the fact that it was changed up. Why not keep a very stable version of the app as a backup? Especially while the custom keyboard is in development? I understand that you may want to unify them at some point, but couldn't this have waited? Why do it right now, when there already are various issues to fix?
Why not keep the stable version around as a backup, which seems to do better with prediction in general, compared to the custom keyboard.
I know, this will be very unpopular feedback. And that is fine. I am sure others find the new concept much better, and I respect that. I just wanted to give my feedback on it. I do not expect most people to agree. I think this could have waited and the main app should not have been changed. Not right now at least. At least it should be kept available as a backup, while the other stuff is still in development and is buggy.
Yes, I also know that I can revert back to an older build if I want the older container app. But I just find it a little sad that that very stable build will eventually no longer exist in its original state. I just think it was changed too soon. And unnecessarily.
Salman

What's new:

Thank you for testing!
Kosta & Ashley

And I apologize for the mistake with your name. I carefully typed out Salman but somehow that last n got changed to a b.

Alan Lemly

On Jun 6, 2018, at 4:41 PM, Alan Lemly <@walemly> wrote:

Salmab,

I agree with you. I use the main app to do the large majority of my typing on my iPhone 7 and if build 80 has changed it to this container configuration, I won't be upgrading from build 75.

I'll be interested to hear Kosta's reply to why the main app was changed at this time. I'm sure I'll come around because he obviously knows what he's doing but I'm not willing to risk my main form of iOS input at this time.

Alan Lemly

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 6, 2018, at 3:35 PM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

Salman

What's new:

Thank you for testing!
Kosta & Ashley

Chuck Dean

Hello everyone,

At first I was a little apprehensive, but I realized about the only thing I am using the app is to enter words in the dictionary. So, I really don't notice a difference.

Macster

Hi guys,

My gut reaction regarding the container app was not good, mainly because I'm so used to opening the app and just typing. In this build, I have to flick right twice and double tap to get to the text field. In time, I can get used to it and the layout with the tabs is easy to explore. I miss the symbols, numbers etc on the top row also, though I recognize it did say in the release notes this version is a work in progress.

My main question is this - is this to be the container app for just the custom keyboard when it goes live on the app store, meaning we have the what I will refer to as the classic app available too? Or is the container app what the current app in the app store will become in a future update to accommodate the custom keyboard? I suspect it's the latter, but thought I'd just ask to clarify.

Regarding actual bugs, I haven't come across anything that hasn't already been mentioned yet.

Keep up the good work as always Kosta and Ashley.

Macky

On 6 Jun 2018, at 16:54, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

What's new:

Thank you for testing!
Kosta & Ashley

Benny Barber

Actually, to start typing in the container app, just touch in the middle of the screen and double tap. Thanks

On Jun 6, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Macster <@Macster> wrote:

Hi guys,

My gut reaction regarding the container app was not good, mainly because I'm so used to opening the app and just typing. In this build, I have to flick right twice and double tap to get to the text field. In time, I can get used to it and the layout with the tabs is easy to explore. I miss the symbols, numbers etc on the top row also, though I recognize it did say in the release notes this version is a work in progress.

My main question is this - is this to be the container app for just the custom keyboard when it goes live on the app store, meaning we have the what I will refer to as the classic app available too? Or is the container app what the current app in the app store will become in a future update to accommodate the custom keyboard? I suspect it's the latter, but thought I'd just ask to clarify.

Regarding actual bugs, I haven't come across anything that hasn't already been mentioned yet.

Keep up the good work as always Kosta and Ashley.

Macky
On 6 Jun 2018, at 16:54, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

What's new:

Thank you for testing!
Kosta & Ashley

Hi all, and thank you for the feedback. We really appreciate it, as always, smile!

We totally understand that some folks might miss some of the previous functionality, and we wouldn't want to ever take any of that away. At the same time, the in-app keyboard and the custom keyboard need to be unified in order to make the product simpler and avoid confusing newcomers.

So to preserve all of the previous functionally we will shortly introduce the "FlickType Classic" app which will have all the functionality of the original App Store app, always, for free. We've also done the extra work to minimize any disruption by ensuring that all relevant settings and dictionary words are seamlessly shared between the two apps. And as we keep improving the new container app there will eventually be few reasons to ever use the classic app, but we wanted to make sure everyone's happy until we get there.

Finally, just like with the custom keyboard, starting the new container app from a clean slate means that we can be far more efficient in the long term, even if that means a bit of upfront work. Thankfully most of that work is now behind us, and we will share the classic app with you as soon as it goes through Apple's review. In the meantime, if you really need the old container app back, you can switch back to an older build from TestFlight.

We're happy to answer any questions you may have, and thank you all for testing!

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Chuck Dean

Hi Kosta and Ashley,
That's good news.
I'm curious, is a half screen FlickType on the horizon?

On Jun 6, 2018, at 5:52 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi all, and thank you for the feedback. We really appreciate it, as always, smile!

We totally understand that some folks might miss some of the previous functionality, and we wouldn't want to ever take any of that away. At the same time, the in-app keyboard and the custom keyboard need to be unified in order to make the product simpler and avoid confusing newcomers.

So to preserve all of the previous functionally we will shortly introduce the "FlickType Classic" app which will have all the functionality of the original App Store app, always, for free. We've also done the extra work to minimize any disruption by ensuring that all relevant settings and dictionary words are seamlessly shared between the two apps. And as we keep improving the new container app there will eventually be few reasons to ever use the classic app, but we wanted to make sure everyone's happy until we get there.

Finally, just like with the custom keyboard, starting the new container app from a clean slate means that we can be far more efficient in the long term, even if that means a bit of upfront work. Thankfully most of that work is now behind us, and we will share the classic app with you as soon as it goes through Apple's review. In the meantime, if you really need the old container app back, you can switch back to an older build from TestFlight.

We're happy to answer any questions you may have, and thank you all for testing!

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Michael Maslo

Hello kosta,

I was wondering if down the road it will be possible to add words to the dictionary using the custom keyboard. I use the custom keyboard around 99.5 percent of the time. I want to thank you and your wife for the hard work you have put into this keyboard and look forward to a full release to the app store. My other question is if there will be a way to use more emogies with the custom keyboard.

Again I sincerely thank you for an awesome product.

On Jun 6, 2018, at 19:52, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

A half screen FlickType is definitely on the horizon. The hard thing about the horizon, though, is knowing how far it is, smile!
- Kosta

Michael Maslo

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a half screen keyboard? 

Sincerely,, mike 

On Jun 6, 2018 at 20:21, <FlickType> wrote:

A half screen FlickType is definitely on the horizon. The hard thing about the horizon, though, is knowing how far it is, smile!

- Kosta

Chuck Dean

😎

On Jun 6, 2018, at 6:21 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Kosta

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

I hate to be slow here but I'm sort of struggling with what seem to be new terms and feel that a brief dictionary would be very helpful to me. I'm used to dealing with what we've been calling the main app and the custom keyboard. I'll list what new terms I'm finding a bit confusing with what I think are their definitions but maybe you could clarify any of my mistakes:

1. Container app. I'm assuming this is what you're calling what has previously been referred to as the main app because it contains settings that affect how the custom keyboard works and is presented. I appreciate that this has to be separated from what is now being called the classic app since the custom keyboard and its controlling app will have a price to purchase when they are officially released. Do you know what the official names of the classic app and the custom keyboard along with its container app will be called when everything is finalized? Also, will what we've been calling the main app magically become the FlickType Classic app when everything is finalized or will we have to delete and reinstall?

2. In-app keyboard versus custom keyboard. Maybe you could distinguish these with a bit more detail because I was thinking they were synonymous.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide. I find that words are great friends of mine and I want to use the correct ones with their correct meanings and this also applies to app terminology.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 7:53 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 80

Warmly,

Kosta & Ashley

Chuck Dean

Hi Michael, 

A half screen keyboard would only take up the lower half of the screen so you could interact with the app you are typing in. 

The problem is blending the FlickType and VoiceOver, I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. 
 I know Fleksy had problems with speech stuttering. 

On Jun 6, 2018, at 6:27 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a half screen keyboard? 

Sincerely,, mike 

On Jun 6, 2018 at 20:21, <FlickType> wrote:

- Kosta