Topics

Build 69.

Paul Sutton

Hi all, after using FlickType whilst holding my 2 year old, I am definitely wanting some sort of single finger gesture to either dismiss FlickType or switch keyboards.
Regards, Paul.

Chuck Dean

The tap and hold for touch typing works very well. If I need a number a tap and hold in the lower left coner and I am in the numbers panel. I also have nothing against the style button to return to the FlickType screen. Its all working great for me.

So Paul, how often do you need to go to the iOS keyboard? I haven't needed it all day. And in those rare occasions when you need to switch keyboards with a child in your arms, couldn't you put your phone down to do the two finger double tap?

Chuck

On May 21, 2018, at 1:31 AM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:

Hi all, after using FlickType whilst holding my 2 year old, I am definitely wanting some sort of single finger gesture to either dismiss FlickType or switch keyboards.
Regards, Paul.

David Nason

Chuck, what do you mean when you say you haven't needed to switch keyboards all day? Flicktype is full screen, so when you finish typing, you have to either switch to the iOS keyboard or dismiss the keyboard. Both of these are multi finger gestures, which Paul and others find inconvenient.

In terms of switching modes, after plenty of real practical use over the last couple of days, I would definitely reiterate the need for an automatic switch back to flick typing mode. The switch to touch typing is seamless and wonderful, but I constantly find myself trying to flick type after typing my manual word, only to find I'm in the wrong mode. Its a real irritation to have to remember to switch back, and really slows down the flow of typing.

That's my experience anyway.

Dave

On 21 May 2018, at 09:58, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

The tap and hold for touch typing works very well. If I need a number a tap and hold in the lower left coner and I am in the numbers panel. I also have nothing against the style button to return to the FlickType screen. Its all working great for me.

So Paul, how often do you need to go to the iOS keyboard? I haven't needed it all day. And in those rare occasions when you need to switch keyboards with a child in your arms, couldn't you put your phone down to do the two finger double tap?

Chuck

Regards, Paul.

Paul Sutton

Hi chuck, since the introduction of touch typing within FlickType, I have needed to revert back too the iOS keyboard less and less. Hopefully there will even come a time where I will never need to use it. The problem at the moment is that I will always have to dismiss or change the keyboard when I have finished typing and I need to send an email or a text and using more than one finger can be awkward. Of course I am more than capable of using more than one finger but it's a matter of convenience. If I am in a position where I can not use my other hand then yes, I could put my phone down to perform the two finger tap but that seems inconvenient to me. Also, what if I am standing up outside so then I wouldn't be able to put my phone down to perform the action.
Regards, Paul.

Chuck Dean

My bad, yes, I do a three finger flick down to dismiss the keyboard. Because I never use my iPhone one handed, I guess a three finger gesture is not a big deal.

As I was explaining to Kosta earlier, the reason I stopped using Fleksy was a couple of the gestures were inconsistent in their operation and made the keyboard clumsy to use. I fear the same will happen to FlickType if one finger gestures are insisted upon. There just aren't that many one finger gestures and changing or dismissing the keyboard is such a small percent of the operation.

Chuck

On May 21, 2018, at 3:00 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Chuck, what do you mean when you say you haven't needed to switch keyboards all day? Flicktype is full screen, so when you finish typing, you have to either switch to the iOS keyboard or dismiss the keyboard. Both of these are multi finger gestures, which Paul and others find inconvenient.

In terms of switching modes, after plenty of real practical use over the last couple of days, I would definitely reiterate the need for an automatic switch back to flick typing mode. The switch to touch typing is seamless and wonderful, but I constantly find myself trying to flick type after typing my manual word, only to find I'm in the wrong mode. Its a real irritation to have to remember to switch back, and really slows down the flow of typing.

Dave

Chuck

Regards, Paul.

Chanelle Allen

Hello,
I have a question and I hope that it is not offensive. Why is it difficult for some of you to hold the phone and perform the magic tap gesture with one hand? I have no difficulty, but could that be due to the fact that I don't need to look at the screen? Maybe typing in portrait also makes a difference.t I could hold my phone and type with one hand, but usually the phone is resting against me or a table. Quite often, I am lying down resting while typing since I struggle with fatigue. My right thumb holds the left side of the iPhone 7 while my second finger is used for typing, my third finger is in somewhat of a vertical position hanging wherever it chooses, and the other two fingers rest against the right side of the phone or case. For me, using thumbs to type would be incredibly awkward. Again, I am sorry if my question is offensive. It’s just hard to understand why the magic tap gesture requires two hands. I am not certain as to which gestures I would prefer for FlickType until I try them out. I hope that I wouldn't accidentally press a key or invoke another command with the flick and hold gestures. Remembering to find the typing style button is getting easier, but having the switch be seamless is more preferrable. The bottom line for me is this: I really don't know what I want, what is most useful or practical until I try it out.
Chanelle

On May 21, 2018, at 06:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

My bad, yes, I do a three finger flick down to dismiss the keyboard. Because I never use my iPhone one handed, I guess a three finger gesture is not a big deal.

As I was explaining to Kosta earlier, the reason I stopped using Fleksy was a couple of the gestures were inconsistent in their operation and made the keyboard clumsy to use. I fear the same will happen to FlickType if one finger gestures are insisted upon. There just aren't that many one finger gestures and changing or dismissing the keyboard is such a small percent of the operation.

Chuck

Dave

Chuck

Regards, Paul.

Michael Maslo

Sincerely,, mike 

On May 21, 2018 at 08:05, <Chanelle Allen> wrote:

Hello,
I have a question and I hope that it is not offensive. Why is it difficult for some of you to hold the phone and perform the magic tap gesture with one hand? I have no difficulty, but could that be due to the fact that I don't need to look at the screen? Maybe typing in portrait also makes a difference.t I could hold my phone and type with one hand, but usually the phone is resting against me or a table. Quite often, I am lying down resting while typing since I struggle with fatigue. My right thumb holds the left side of the iPhone 7 while my second finger is used for typing, my third finger is in somewhat of a vertical position hanging wherever it chooses, and the other two fingers rest against the right side of the phone or case. For me, using thumbs to type would be incredibly awkward. Again, I am sorry if my question is offensive. It’s just hard to understand why the magic tap gesture requires two hands. I am not certain as to which gestures I would prefer for FlickType until I try them out. I hope that I wouldn't accidentally press a key or invoke another command with the flick and hold gestures. Remembering to find the typing style button is getting easier, but having the switch be seamless is more preferrable. The bottom line for me is this: I really don't know what I want, what is most useful or practical until I try it out.
Chanelle

> On May 21, 2018, at 06:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>
> My bad, yes, I do a three finger flick down to dismiss the keyboard. Because I never use my iPhone one handed, I guess a three finger gesture is not a big deal.
>
> As I was explaining to Kosta earlier, the reason I stopped using Fleksy was a couple of the gestures were inconsistent in their operation and made the keyboard clumsy to use. I fear the same will happen to FlickType if one finger gestures are insisted upon. There just aren't that many one finger gestures and changing or dismissing the keyboard is such a small percent of the operation.
>
>
> Chuck
>
>> On May 21, 2018, at 3:00 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Chuck, what do you mean when you say you haven't needed to switch keyboards all day? Flicktype is full screen, so when you finish typing, you have to either switch to the iOS keyboard or dismiss the keyboard. Both of these are multi finger gestures, which Paul and others find inconvenient.
>>
>> In terms of switching modes, after plenty of real practical use over the last couple of days, I would definitely reiterate the need for an automatic switch back to flick typing mode. The switch to touch typing is seamless and wonderful, but I constantly find myself trying to flick type after typing my manual word, only to find I'm in the wrong mode. Its a real irritation to have to remember to switch back, and really slows down the flow of typing.
>>
>> That's my experience anyway.
>>
>> Dave
>>> On 21 May 2018, at 09:58, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> The tap and hold for touch typing works very well. If I need a number a tap and hold in the lower left coner and I am in the numbers panel. I also have nothing against the style button to return to the FlickType screen. Its all working great for me.
>>>
>>> So Paul, how often do you need to go to the iOS keyboard? I haven't needed it all day. And in those rare occasions when you need to switch keyboards with a child in your arms, couldn't you put your phone down to do the two finger double tap?
>>>
>>>
>>> Chuck
>>>
>>>> On May 21, 2018, at 1:31 AM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi all, after using FlickType whilst holding my 2 year old, I am definitely wanting some sort of single finger gesture to either dismiss FlickType or switch keyboards.
>>>> Regards, Paul.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Hello, I have no problem typing one handed either or doing the magic tap one handed either. I am not sighted either.

Michael Maslo

As the developers have said they hope to make it seamless down the road.

Sincerely,, mike 

On May 21, 2018 at 05:00, <David Nason> wrote:

Dave
> On 21 May 2018, at 09:58, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>
>
> The tap and hold for touch typing works very well. If I need a number a tap and hold in the lower left coner and I am in the numbers panel. I also have nothing against the style button to return to the FlickType screen. Its all working great for me.
>
> So Paul, how often do you need to go to the iOS keyboard? I haven't needed it all day. And in those rare occasions when you need to switch keyboards with a child in your arms, couldn't you put your phone down to do the two finger double tap?
>
>
> Chuck
>
>> On May 21, 2018, at 1:31 AM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Hi all, after using FlickType whilst holding my 2 year old, I am definitely wanting some sort of single finger gesture to either dismiss FlickType or switch keyboards.
>> Regards, Paul.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Michael Maslo

In a few day period I have only used the apple keyboard once.

Sincerely,, mike 

On May 21, 2018 at 03:58, <Chuck Dean> wrote:

Chuck

> On May 21, 2018, at 1:31 AM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi all, after using FlickType whilst holding my 2 year old, I am definitely wanting some sort of single finger gesture to either dismiss FlickType or switch keyboards.
> Regards, Paul.
>
>
>

Michael Maslo

I do not agree with a one finger gesture for flick type. As chuck said I believe their are only so many one finger gestures available. Also as the developers have said they hope to have a seamless integration coming. Lets see what the future has in store for us.

Sincerely,, mike 

On May 21, 2018 at 03:31, <Paul Sutton> wrote:

Regards, Paul.

Paul Sutton

Hi Chanelle, its not that I don't find performing a magic tap difficult, its more about the convenience of being able to perform actions with as little movement as possible. I believe that if you can exit the keyboard to send a message or an email without altering your grip as much would make it slightly quicker and reduce the possibility of you dropping your iPhone.
That said, if there was no possibility of that happening I still would be happy with FlickType in its current form.
Just my thoughts anyway.
Regards, Paul.

On 21 May 2018, at 14:05, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hello,
Chanelle

On May 21, 2018, at 06:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Chuck

Dave

Chuck

Regards, Paul.

Michael Maslo

Hello Paul, my question is if the intent of the developers is to make the who whole system to be seamless shouldn't we allow them to come out with that version and see what the community thinks? This conversation may be a mute point. My opinion alone.

Sincerely,, mike 

On May 21, 2018 at 10:26, <Paul Sutton> wrote:

Hi Chanelle, its not that I don't find performing a magic tap difficult, its more about the convenience of being able to perform actions with as little movement as possible. I believe that if you can exit the keyboard to send a message or an email without altering your grip as much would make it slightly quicker and reduce the possibility of you dropping your iPhone.
That said, if there was no possibility of that happening I still would be happy with FlickType in its current form.
Just my thoughts anyway.
Regards, Paul.
> On 21 May 2018, at 14:05, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hello,
> I have a question and I hope that it is not offensive. Why is it difficult for some of you to hold the phone and perform the magic tap gesture with one hand? I have no difficulty, but could that be due to the fact that I don't need to look at the screen? Maybe typing in portrait also makes a difference.t I could hold my phone and type with one hand, but usually the phone is resting against me or a table. Quite often, I am lying down resting while typing since I struggle with fatigue. My right thumb holds the left side of the iPhone 7 while my second finger is used for typing, my third finger is in somewhat of a vertical position hanging wherever it chooses, and the other two fingers rest against the right side of the phone or case. For me, using thumbs to type would be incredibly awkward. Again, I am sorry if my question is offensive. It’s just hard to understand why the magic tap gesture requires two hands. I am not certain as to which gestures I would prefer for FlickType until I try them out. I hope that I wouldn't accidentally press a key or invoke another command with the flick and hold gestures. Remembering to find the typing style button is getting easier, but having the switch be seamless is more preferrable. The bottom line for me is this: I really don't know what I want, what is most useful or practical until I try it out.
> Chanelle
>
>> On May 21, 2018, at 06:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>
>> My bad, yes, I do a three finger flick down to dismiss the keyboard. Because I never use my iPhone one handed, I guess a three finger gesture is not a big deal.
>>
>> As I was explaining to Kosta earlier, the reason I stopped using Fleksy was a couple of the gestures were inconsistent in their operation and made the keyboard clumsy to use. I fear the same will happen to FlickType if one finger gestures are insisted upon. There just aren't that many one finger gestures and changing or dismissing the keyboard is such a small percent of the operation.
>>
>>
>> Chuck
>>
>>> On May 21, 2018, at 3:00 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Chuck, what do you mean when you say you haven't needed to switch keyboards all day? Flicktype is full screen, so when you finish typing, you have to either switch to the iOS keyboard or dismiss the keyboard. Both of these are multi finger gestures, which Paul and others find inconvenient.
>>>
>>> In terms of switching modes, after plenty of real practical use over the last couple of days, I would definitely reiterate the need for an automatic switch back to flick typing mode. The switch to touch typing is seamless and wonderful, but I constantly find myself trying to flick type after typing my manual word, only to find I'm in the wrong mode. Its a real irritation to have to remember to switch back, and really slows down the flow of typing.
>>>
>>> That's my experience anyway.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>> On 21 May 2018, at 09:58, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The tap and hold for touch typing works very well. If I need a number a tap and hold in the lower left coner and I am in the numbers panel. I also have nothing against the style button to return to the FlickType screen. Its all working great for me.
>>>>
>>>> So Paul, how often do you need to go to the iOS keyboard? I haven't needed it all day. And in those rare occasions when you need to switch keyboards with a child in your arms, couldn't you put your phone down to do the two finger double tap?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Chuck
>>>>
>>>>> On May 21, 2018, at 1:31 AM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi all, after using FlickType whilst holding my 2 year old, I am definitely wanting some sort of single finger gesture to either dismiss FlickType or switch keyboards.
>>>>> Regards, Paul.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>