Topics

Build 69

- Allow the same long press gesture that triggers Touch Typing to continue the exploration, so you don't have to start a second press every time.
- Fix shift sometimes not being in the correct state upon entering Touch Typing mode.

Please continue providing as much feedback as possible, thank you all for being so awesome!

- Kosta

Benny Barber

Getting better all the time. Thanks, Kosta.

On May 19, 2018, at 7:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Allow the same long press gesture that triggers Touch Typing to continue the exploration, so you don't have to start a second press every time.
- Fix shift sometimes not being in the correct state upon entering Touch Typing mode.

Please continue providing as much feedback as possible, thank you all for being so awesome!

- Kosta

Chuck Dean

Ok, the tap and hold is much better.

A little easier to insert line breaks. I also tried some manual input, like my cat's name... MoTown.

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 5:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Kosta

Ed Worrell

Hello,

I would love to hear phonetics after you hold on a character to manually type. This would be helpful on the bottom row of keys. Otherwise well done you two.

Ed

On May 19, 2018, at 6:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Kosta

Chuck Dean

Hi all,
I prefer the tap and hold for changing to the touch type keyboard and the magic tap for going to the iOS keyboard.

The tap and hold perfectly blends to the first selection on the keyboard. If it were reversed I think it would be kind of clumsy.

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 5:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Kosta

George Cham

I prefer the long press as well  to switch between flick type and ios keyboard .

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 10:38:28 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 69

Hi all,
I prefer the tap and hold for changing to the touch type keyboard and the magic tap for going to the iOS keyboard.

The tap and hold perfectly blends to the first selection on the keyboard. If it were reversed I think it would be kind of clumsy.

Chuck

> On May 19, 2018, at 5:16 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> - Allow the same long press gesture that triggers Touch Typing to continue the exploration, so you don't have to start a second press every time.
> - Fix shift sometimes not being in the correct state upon entering Touch Typing mode.
>
> Please continue providing as much feedback as possible, thank you all for being so awesome!
>
> - Kosta
>
>
>

Benny Barber

I prefer the magic tap to return to the iOS keyboard and tap and hold for direct typing. Thanks.

Benny

- Kosta

Ed Worrell

I think we will have the same manual typing as the keyboard in the future.

Ed
I believe at some point there will be no difference between the modes. I think the short cuts are simply there to return to the gesture keyboard at this point and time. I think we will have the same manual typing as the keyboard in the future.

On May 19, 2018, at 7:02 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

I prefer the magic tap to return to the iOS keyboard and tap and hold for direct typing. Thanks.

Benny

- Kosta

George Cham

If thats the case , after flicking right for space, can we have a flick gesture down for symbles  and numbers ?

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 11:57:33 AM

Ed
I believe at some point there will be no difference between the modes. I think the short cuts are simply there to return to the gesture keyboard at this point and time. I think we will have the same manual typing as the keyboard in the future.
> On May 19, 2018, at 7:02 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:
>
>
> I prefer the magic tap to return to the iOS keyboard and tap and hold for direct typing. Thanks.
>
> Benny
>
>> On May 19, 2018, at 7:16 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>>
>> - Allow the same long press gesture that triggers Touch Typing to continue the exploration, so you don't have to start a second press every time.
>> - Fix shift sometimes not being in the correct state upon entering Touch Typing mode.
>>
>> Please continue providing as much feedback as possible, thank you all for being so awesome!
>>
>> - Kosta
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Chuck Dean

This is another reason for the half screen keyboard. If the top half is the iOS screen, we could use the rotor to edit text and to change the cursor position; leaving the FlickType area for the same gestures as the app's keyboard.

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 7:03 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

If thats the case , after flicking right for space, can we have a flick gesture down for symbles  and numbers ?

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...>

Ed
>
>
> I prefer the magic tap to return to the iOS keyboard and tap and hold for direct typing. Thanks.
>
> Benny
>
>>
>> - Allow the same long press gesture that triggers Touch Typing to continue the exploration, so you don't have to start a second press every time.
>> - Fix shift sometimes not being in the correct state upon entering Touch Typing mode.
>>
>> Please continue providing as much feedback as possible, thank you all for being so awesome!
>>
>> - Kosta
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

David Nason

I'm a little on the fence about the choice of gestures. I do definitely prefer the tap and hold to the magic tap, but the fact that you can't use the same gesture to go back from the touch typing mode to the flick mode is arguably a problem. My brain would prefer if I could use the same gesture to go both ways.

I really like what you've done in this build though, in that I can tap and hold, and navigate to the key I want, all in one go. Superb. 

I too like the idea of a half screen option. But I also see that this could be difficult for some users. Many people cannot see enough to be as targeted as others in there taps, so the full screen keyboard allows them much more ability to type successfully. So if implemented, it would have to be optional. The same fact is true for the discussion yesterday about typing accuracy. Of course user training and practice is necessary, but its easier for those of us who have some usable sight to be accurate than those who don't. So lets not dismiss the need to keep that conversation in mind.

Dave

On 20 May 2018, at 03:08, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

This is another reason for the half screen keyboard. If the top half is the iOS screen, we could use the rotor to edit text and to change the cursor position; leaving the FlickType area for the same gestures as the app's keyboard.

Chuck

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Ed
>
>
>
> Benny
>
>>
>>
>>
>> - Kosta
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Benny Barber

Was just thinking, when in the touch type mode, would it be possible to just
simply use the flick right jesture for returning to the FlickType mode as
well as entering the word we just typed letter by letter?If one needs to
return to the touch type mode, they would touch and hold again. This would
eliminate having to tap the style key. Not sure how this would work if one
needs to add punctuation or a symbol after the touch typed word. I'm sure
you could figure this out Kosta. Thanks.

Benny

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
Of FlickType
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2018 7:17 PM
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 69

- Allow the same long press gesture that triggers Touch Typing to continue
the exploration, so you don't have to start a second press every time.
- Fix shift sometimes not being in the correct state upon entering Touch
Typing mode.

Please continue providing as much feedback as possible, thank you all for
being so awesome!

- Kosta

David Nason

You might be on to something there Benny .

Dave

On 20 May 2018, at 12:33, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Benny

Of FlickType

Typing mode.

being so awesome!

- Kosta

Chanelle Allen

Hello,
as someone who heavily relies on touch typing for symbol entry, Benny's idea of having a flick right gesture return to flick typing would not be helpful to me. Still, a method for switching back to flick typing without needing to find the "style" button would be great but not absolutely essential.
By the way, thank you Kosta and Ashley, for another new FlickType build. I can't believe how quickly the releases have been coming lately. Manual typing is so natural that I forget to switch back to flick typing. Maybe Kosta and Ashley will inadvertently turn us into accurate typists by making the transition between modes so seamless. ☺️ it could be just my experience, but I find that the magic tap gesture to dismiss the FlickType keyboard is better than the old gesture at placing my cursor exactly where I intend it to be. That being said, after writing the previous sentence and dismissing FlickType, their was a VoiceOver focus issue, but when I got back on track, my cursor was at the end of the sentence, which I wanted.
Keep up the awesome work! 😀 I eagerly look forward to getting TestFlight notifications, and am so excited to find out what each new build has in store.
(My TestFlight notifications and email announcements are no longer a build behind). Thank you.
Chanelle

On May 20, 2018, at 06:33, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Benny

Of FlickType

Typing mode.

being so awesome!

- Kosta

Benny Barber

You simply touch the screen to continue touch typing. Thanks.

On May 20, 2018, at 8:07 AM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hello,
as someone who heavily relies on touch typing for symbol entry, Benny's idea of having a flick right gesture return to flick typing would not be helpful to me. Still, a method for switching back to flick typing without needing to find the "style" button would be great but not absolutely essential.
By the way, thank you Kosta and Ashley, for another new FlickType build. I can't believe how quickly the releases have been coming lately. Manual typing is so natural that I forget to switch back to flick typing. Maybe Kosta and Ashley will inadvertently turn us into accurate typists by making the transition between modes so seamless. ☺️ it could be just my experience, but I find that the magic tap gesture to dismiss the FlickType keyboard is better than the old gesture at placing my cursor exactly where I intend it to be. That being said, after writing the previous sentence and dismissing FlickType, their was a VoiceOver focus issue, but when I got back on track, my cursor was at the end of the sentence, which I wanted.
Keep up the awesome work! 😀 I eagerly look forward to getting TestFlight notifications, and am so excited to find out what each new build has in store.
(My TestFlight notifications and email announcements are no longer a build behind). Thank you.
Chanelle

On May 20, 2018, at 06:33, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Benny

Of FlickType

Typing mode.

being so awesome!

- Kosta

Macster

I think there is a split in the camp here, but I preferred the double tap gesture to enable the touch typing mode and the press and hold gesture to return to the iOS keyboard. My reasoning for this is the double tap is quicker and I invariably would be changing between flick and touch much more than flick and iOS. It just seemed more responsive to me that way and it also eliminated the need to feel around for the dedicated change back to flick typing button at the bottom. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this, just personal preference. Macky 

On 20 May 2018, at 09:55, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

I'm a little on the fence about the choice of gestures. I do definitely prefer the tap and hold to the magic tap, but the fact that you can't use the same gesture to go back from the touch typing mode to the flick mode is arguably a problem. My brain would prefer if I could use the same gesture to go both ways.

I really like what you've done in this build though, in that I can tap and hold, and navigate to the key I want, all in one go. Superb. 

I too like the idea of a half screen option. But I also see that this could be difficult for some users. Many people cannot see enough to be as targeted as others in there taps, so the full screen keyboard allows them much more ability to type successfully. So if implemented, it would have to be optional. The same fact is true for the discussion yesterday about typing accuracy. Of course user training and practice is necessary, but its easier for those of us who have some usable sight to be accurate than those who don't. So lets not dismiss the need to keep that conversation in mind.

Dave

Chuck

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Ed
>
>
>
> Benny
>
>>
>>
>>
>> - Kosta
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

David Nason

Hi Macky,

the advantage though of the tap and hold to switch is that you can switch to manual and slide to the key you want, all in one fluid motion, making it much like the experience of manual typing in the main app. This is a huge step forward in my own opinion. 

For me, the interesting question is in finding the best way to get back to the flick mode again. And perhaps Benny is onto an idea that can be developed. 

Personally I would also like a one finger gesture to dismiss the keyboard, as I like to operate the phone one handed, using my thumb, as much as possible. 

That's my thoughts anyway. As you say, its interesting to read the different preferences in the group. 

Dave

On 20 May 2018, at 14:45, Macster <alan.macdonald1@...> wrote:

I think there is a split in the camp here, but I preferred the double tap gesture to enable the touch typing mode and the press and hold gesture to return to the iOS keyboard. My reasoning for this is the double tap is quicker and I invariably would be changing between flick and touch much more than flick and iOS. It just seemed more responsive to me that way and it also eliminated the need to feel around for the dedicated change back to flick typing button at the bottom. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this, just personal preference. Macky 

Dave

Chuck

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Ed
>
>
>
> Benny
>
>>
>>
>>
>> - Kosta
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

I am indeed working towards making the two styles seamless. The key for that is seamless entry into, as well as seamless exit out of touch typing. Seamless entry can be achieved with what I think is the most intuitive gesture of holding down your finger to explore, since you’ll have to do that anyway to select your desired character. 

For seamless exit, there are two options at the top of my list:

One is making the touch typing entry be temporary, for a single character only, so as soon as you release your finger your are back into flick typing. This is similar to the app, but also if you release on the numbers and symbols key you’d remain in touch typing mode in the numbers and symbols layout, returning back to flick typing as soon as you enter a single character. Some downsides with this are: First, you can’t easily type multiple numbers and symbols in one go. To type a phone number for example, you’d have to tap, hold, and release on the numbers button, before being able to select each and every digit of the phone number. Second downside is that the touch typing gestures that only affect one character at a time, for example cursor move by character or changing the case of a character, would not be available since you’d always be in flick typing mode unless you are holding your finger down to explore. There are some workarounds for this though: one is to contextually bring those character gestures in flick typing mode, where the result of the exact same flick gesture would depend on whether you’ve last typed a single character or an entire word. This also would be similar to the app, where for example flick left to delete may delete a character. The other workaround is to take advantage of the fact that releasing on the numbers button leaves you in the touch typing mode without holding down anything anymore, so those character gestures could be performed there. 

The other seamless exit option is indeed the flick right, or space key, or both. You very likely will be doing that anyway, and you can always keep touch typing the next word too if you want. And until you exit by flicking right, you can perform all the character gestures too. I call this the permanent touch typing mode, as opposed to temporary above. Chanelle, you mentioned that this wouldn’t work for you because you use touch typing to enter a lot of symbols, can you please elaborate, perhaps with some examples?

A hybrid approach could involve the first temporary option where you always return back to flick typing after a single character, unless you go to numbers and symbols. And if you do go to numbers and symbols, you could stay there permanently until a flick right.  

I should also note that there are plenty more details to figure out here, as well as many other ways to achieve the desired features. Also the more the two styles blend into each other, the more it makes sense to call them something else, like word mode vs character mode. 

Happy to hear your thoughts,
Kosta

On May 20, 2018, at 07:02, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Hi Macky,

the advantage though of the tap and hold to switch is that you can switch to manual and slide to the key you want, all in one fluid motion, making it much like the experience of manual typing in the main app. This is a huge step forward in my own opinion. 

For me, the interesting question is in finding the best way to get back to the flick mode again. And perhaps Benny is onto an idea that can be developed. 

Personally I would also like a one finger gesture to dismiss the keyboard, as I like to operate the phone one handed, using my thumb, as much as possible. 

That's my thoughts anyway. As you say, its interesting to read the different preferences in the group. 

Dave

Dave

Chuck

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Ed
>
>
>
> Benny
>
>>
>>
>>
>> - Kosta
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Ed Worrell

Hey kasta, 

what if manual typing would exit after every character. You could use the two finger double tap to switch between symbols, numbers and back to the normal typing method? This makes the most sense to me, and it almost acts the same way as the keyboard app. 

Ed 

On May 20, 2018, at 8:44 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

I am indeed working towards making the two styles seamless. The key for that is seamless entry into, as well as seamless exit out of touch typing. Seamless entry can be achieved with what I think is the most intuitive gesture of holding down your finger to explore, since you’ll have to do that anyway to select your desired character. 

One is making the touch typing entry be temporary, for a single character only, so as soon as you release your finger your are back into flick typing. This is similar to the app, but also if you release on the numbers and symbols key you’d remain in touch typing mode in the numbers and symbols layout, returning back to flick typing as soon as you enter a single character. Some downsides with this are: First, you can’t easily type multiple numbers and symbols in one go. To type a phone number for example, you’d have to tap, hold, and release on the numbers button, before being able to select each and every digit of the phone number. Second downside is that the touch typing gestures that only affect one character at a time, for example cursor move by character or changing the case of a character, would not be available since you’d always be in flick typing mode unless you are holding your finger down to explore. There are some workarounds for this though: one is to contextually bring those character gestures in flick typing mode, where the result of the exact same flick gesture would depend on whether you’ve last typed a single character or an entire word. This also would be similar to the app, where for example flick left to delete may delete a character. The other workaround is to take advantage of the fact that releasing on the numbers button leaves you in the touch typing mode without holding down anything anymore, so those character gestures could be performed there. 

The other seamless exit option is indeed the flick right, or space key, or both. You very likely will be doing that anyway, and you can always keep touch typing the next word too if you want. And until you exit by flicking right, you can perform all the character gestures too. I call this the permanent touch typing mode, as opposed to temporary above. Chanelle, you mentioned that this wouldn’t work for you because you use touch typing to enter a lot of symbols, can you please elaborate, perhaps with some examples?

A hybrid approach could involve the first temporary option where you always return back to flick typing after a single character, unless you go to numbers and symbols. And if you do go to numbers and symbols, you could stay there permanently until a flick right.  

I should also note that there are plenty more details to figure out here, as well as many other ways to achieve the desired features. Also the more the two styles blend into each other, the more it makes sense to call them something else, like word mode vs character mode. 

Kosta

Hi Macky,

Dave

Dave

Chuck

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Ed
>
>
>
> Benny
>
>>
>>
>>
>> - Kosta
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Chuck Dean

This process takes a lot of trial and error, and I admire your patience. Btw I discovered the three finger swipe down to dismiss the keyboard works fantastic to review what I had just typed... I just have to remember that it is available. 
😎 
Hi Kosta, 

personally I think the permanent typing mode with the flick right to exit would work best for me. Most of my use of manual entry is for caps and numbers. 

The tap and hold to enter symbols works great for me, and I was against it at first. This process takes a lot of trial and error, and I admire your patience.

Chuck

On May 20, 2018, at 7:44 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Kosta

Hi Macky,

Dave

Dave

Chuck

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Ed
>
>
>
> Benny
>
>>
>>
>>
>> - Kosta
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>