Topics

Build 68

Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the group, so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and eventually there will be a manual input mode similar to the main app.

Touch Typing related changes:
- Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard or typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change back to Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will need to release your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is annoying but will be addressed soon.
- Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick left will delete the last character, flick right will add a space, flick up and down will change the current character's case. Two finger flick left or right will move the cursor by character.
- Fixed inverted shift state announcement bug
- Shift will automatically be selected and unselected as needed.
- Character echo will now respect the setting from the main app
- Added word echo

Kosta

Chuck Dean

Ok, this is working better. It took me a while to find the button to go back to FlickType, which is in the same place as the globe button, just left of the space bar.

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 12:39 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the group, so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and eventually there will be a manual input mode similar to the main app.

- Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard or typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change back to Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will need to release your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is annoying but will be addressed soon.
- Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick left will delete the last character, flick right will add a space, flick up and down will change the current character's case. Two finger flick left or right will move the cursor by character.
- Added word echo

Kosta

Chuck Dean

Hi Kosta, with these new gestures am I right in assuming that the space bar, shift, and delete keys will eventually be removed?

Chuck

George Cham

Ok working better    .  But can there be a flick gesture for symbles ?

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2018 5:54:58 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 68

Ok, this is working better. It took me a while to find the button to go back to FlickType, which is in the same place as the globe button, just left of the space bar.

Chuck

> On May 19, 2018, at 12:39 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the group, so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and eventually there will be a manual input mode similar to the main app.
>
> Touch Typing related changes:
> - Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard or typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change back to Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will need to release your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is annoying but will be addressed soon.
> - Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick left will delete the last character, flick right will add a space, flick up and down will change the current character's case. Two finger flick left or right will move the cursor by character.
> - Fixed inverted shift state announcement bug
> - Shift will automatically be selected and unselected as needed.
> - Character echo will now respect the setting from the main app
> - Added word echo
>
> Kosta
>
>
>

Macster

Wow, the speed at which you release each version never ceases to amaze me! I think you have addressed pretty much all of our moans from yesterday - the lack of a character echo is very welcome for me personally! The flick gestures in direct typing mode work very well for capitalisation and word completion in particular, and word announcement after flicking right works perfectly too. The shift key is sorted too, and it all feels as crisp as build 67 did. I did prefer the gesture to change between flick and touch modes instead of finding the button, but as you said your intention is to have a manual input method similar to the app so this won't be relevant long term anyway :)

With many thanks and appreciation as always for your hard work Kosta and Ashley.

Macky

On 19 May 2018, at 08:39, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Added word echo

Kosta

George Cham

Hi costa , can there be a visual button to switch between flick type touch typing ?

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of George Cham <George.cham@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2018 6:11:48 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io; alpha@flicktype.groups.io

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>

Chuck

>
> Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the group, so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and eventually there will be a manual input mode similar to the main app.
>
> - Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard or typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change back to Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will need to release your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is annoying but will be addressed soon.
> - Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick left will delete the last character, flick right will add a space, flick up and down will change the current character's case. Two finger flick left or right will move the cursor by character.
> - Added word echo
>
> Kosta
>
>
>

David Nason

Wow, another very quick release. Thanks as always. It certainly does address some of the issues from build 67, though clearly still a work in progress.
Glad to see some gestures added to the manual mode, I hope this means that the spacebar, shift and return keys etc will be removed altogether? I actually find that manual typing on the custom keyboard is more accurate than in the main app. In the main app, I will often navigate to the "a" key for example, then lift my finger, only to find it has typed an "s" instead. This does not happen in either the iOS keyboard or the FlickType custom keyboard.
I do still hope for an integrated version in the future though, eliminating the need to switch modes. I don't like the magic tap gesture to dismiss the keyboard, but thankfully the iPhone X still has the keyboard switching button in the bottom left below the actual keyboard.
Looking forward to having a new line gesture.

Dave 

On 19 May 2018, at 09:18, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Hi costa , can there be a visual button to switch between flick type touch typing ?

Kind Regards,

George Cham

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of George Cham <George.cham@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2018 6:11:48 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io; alpha@flicktype.groups.io

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Chuck

>
>
> - Added word echo
>
> Kosta
>
>
>

Chanelle Allen

Hello Kosta, Ashley, and Group,
it's impressive that Kosta has gotten another FlickType release out to us so quickly. Thank you. Here are my initial thoughts.
The new flick gestures--especially the one to capitalize a letter are useful. Using FlickType touch typing to go back by character to ensure a word is capitalized or spelled correctly is convenient.
I preferred the magic tap gesture for switching between flick and touch typing modes. Frequently when touch typing, I accidentally press the "typing style" when intending to press space or the "more numbers" button. I might be in the minority, but for me, it would be nice to go back to having the magic tap gesture switch between modes. With time, I can become accustomed to anything though. I thought that FlickType was taking a while to come up with the right word for me in the flick typing mode, but I think that it is me just taking time to get warmed up to the keyboard. I will report back if I have further trouble.
Chanelle

On May 19, 2018, at 02:39, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Added word echo

Kosta

Alex Hiironen

Hey Kosta and all, so far I am getting used to this new way of topping. However, there are two things still annoying me. First, I still can't get new lines to work in the custom keyboards. Second, I am still having issues with the main app just not showing up properly. I completely removed FlickType and waited days to install it again, no dice. I have my orientation set to landscape left and it's showing up in portrait of or only taking up the first half of the screen. When I open settings, it will eventually switch to landscape as it should appear. Is anyone else experience this issue, or am I the lucky guy for this bug? Cheers and as always thanks for such frequent updates.

Alex

On May 19, 2018, at 7:07 AM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

it's impressive that Kosta has gotten another FlickType release out to us so quickly. Thank you. Here are my initial thoughts.
The new flick gestures--especially the one to capitalize a letter are useful. Using FlickType touch typing to go back by character to ensure a word is capitalized or spelled correctly is convenient.
I preferred the magic tap gesture for switching between flick and touch typing modes. Frequently when touch typing, I accidentally press the "typing style" when intending to press space or the "more numbers" button. I might be in the minority, but for me, it would be nice to go back to having the magic tap gesture switch between modes. With time, I can become accustomed to anything though. I thought that FlickType was taking a while to come up with the right word for me in the flick typing mode, but I think that it is me just taking time to get warmed up to the keyboard. I will report back if I have further trouble.
Chanelle

- Added word echo

Kosta

Chuck Dean

Hello Alex, you are indeed the lucky guy, as I tried to duplicate your problem, and could not.
I did notice the landscape lock, left, did not work in the custom keyboard. In other words, the setting had no effect on the custom keyboard. When I went back to the app, the keyboard was locked in landscape, left.
By guess is landscape lock is only in the app version.
I hope this helps,

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 8:50 AM, Alex Hiironen <l000b2a@...> wrote:

Hey Kosta and all, so far I am getting used to this new way of topping. However, there are two things still annoying me. First, I still can't get new lines to work in the custom keyboards. Second, I am still having issues with the main app just not showing up properly. I completely removed FlickType and waited days to install it again, no dice. I have my orientation set to landscape left and it's showing up in portrait of or only taking up the first half of the screen. When I open settings, it will eventually switch to landscape as it should appear. Is anyone else experience this issue, or am I the lucky guy for this bug? Cheers and as always thanks for such frequent updates.

Alex

Chanelle

- Added word echo

Kosta

Chuck Dean

Btw to insert a new line using the custom keyboard, do a single tap and hold, which will open the touch typing keyboard, now find the return key in the bottom right corner and tap. Your new line will be entered, like this,

I just put in three new lines.
To go back to the custom keyboard, fine the style key, which is on the bottom, and is the second key from the left between the more numbers key and the space key.

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello Alex, you are indeed the lucky guy, as I tried to duplicate your problem, and could not.
I did notice the landscape lock, left, did not work in the custom keyboard. In other words, the setting had no effect on the custom keyboard. When I went back to the app, the keyboard was locked in landscape, left.
I hope this helps,

Chuck

Alex

Chanelle

- Added word echo

Kosta

David Nason

On a separate note, how are people finding the accuracy of the typing engine itself these days? I'm sure it's an ongoing part of the development.
For me, its mostly really good, but I do still sometimes run into frustrations. Long words are generally very successful, so long as I know how to spell the word.
I do still have some problems at times with shorter words, where of course there are far more possible words for the engine to recommend. In recent days for example, I recall trying to type the words "read" and "date", and for whatever reason, for the life of me, I could not get the engine to suggest them, even with multiple swipes down. But just now, I was able to type them just fine.
Some of this is clearly down to the user, but frustrating when it does happen. I wonder if there is scope for the engine, while still primarily making its recommendations based on the typing pattern, to have some level of context based predictions, like the iOS keyboard does, albeit implemented very differently.
On the whole I'm extremely happy with it though.

Dave

On 19 May 2018, at 17:31, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Btw to insert a new line using the custom keyboard, do a single tap and hold, which will open the touch typing keyboard, now find the return key in the bottom right corner and tap. Your new line will be entered, like this,

To go back to the custom keyboard, fine the style key, which is on the bottom, and is the second key from the left between the more numbers key and the space key.

Chuck

I hope this helps,

Chuck

Alex

Chanelle

- Added word echo

Kosta

Salman Haider

Kosta and Ashley,
I have to say, I am absolutely not a fan of the the magic tap
replacing the tap and hold gesture to return to the iOS keyboard.
Takes away the ability to perform a basic function with one hand.
Previously, where I could type and switch back and forth between the
two keyboards using only one hand, now there is absolutely no way for
me to return to the iOS keyboard if I want to review my text, or for
that matter, even send it by tapping the appropriate button.
I can understand that people may find the tap and hold gesture better
to switch to FlickType touch typing, and that's fine, it can be that
way (even though I personally prefer the tap and hold gesture).
However, I am not sure why another single finger gesture, like a swipe
up and hold for instance, couldn't have been used instead of the magic
tap to return to the iOS keyboard.
Personally, I am not at all a fan and I am really finding the magic
tap gesture to return to the iOS keyboard quite inconvenient.
I for one, definitely find a need to return to the iOS keyboard quite
frequently.
Just my feedback on this change.

Salman

On 5/19/18, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:
Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the group,
so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and eventually
there will be a manual input mode similar to the main app.

- Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard or
typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change back to
Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will need to release
your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is annoying but will be
addressed soon.
- Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick left will
delete the last character, flick right will add a space, flick up and down
will change the current character's case. Two finger flick left or right
will move the cursor by character.
- Added word echo

Kosta

--
Muhammad Salman Haider
(765) 586-6840

Salman Haider

I agree with everything here Dave. Exactly my experience as far as the
accuracy of the prediction of the typing engine is concerned.

On 5/19/18, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

On a separate note, how are people finding the accuracy of the typing engine
itself these days? I'm sure it's an ongoing part of the development.
For me, its mostly really good, but I do still sometimes run into
frustrations. Long words are generally very successful, so long as I know
how to spell the word.
I do still have some problems at times with shorter words, where of course
there are far more possible words for the engine to recommend. In recent
days for example, I recall trying to type the words "read" and "date", and
for whatever reason, for the life of me, I could not get the engine to
suggest them, even with multiple swipes down. But just now, I was able to
type them just fine.
Some of this is clearly down to the user, but frustrating when it does
happen. I wonder if there is scope for the engine, while still primarily
making its recommendations based on the typing pattern, to have some level
of context based predictions, like the iOS keyboard does, albeit implemented
very differently.

Dave

Btw to insert a new line using the custom keyboard, do a single tap and
hold, which will open the touch typing keyboard, now find the return key
in the bottom right corner and tap. Your new line will be entered, like
this,

To go back to the custom keyboard, fine the style key, which is on the
bottom, and is the second key from the left between the more numbers key
and the space key.

Chuck

Hello Alex, you are indeed the lucky guy, as I tried to duplicate your
problem, and could not.
I did notice the landscape lock, left, did not work in the custom
keyboard. In other words, the setting had no effect on the custom
keyboard. When I went back to the app, the keyboard was locked in
landscape, left.
I hope this helps,

Chuck

Hey Kosta and all, so far I am getting used to this new way of topping.
However, there are two things still annoying me. First, I still can't
get new lines to work in the custom keyboards. Second, I am still having
issues with the main app just not showing up properly. I completely
removed FlickType and waited days to install it again, no dice. I have
my orientation set to landscape left and it's showing up in portrait of
or only taking up the first half of the screen. When I open settings, it
will eventually switch to landscape as it should appear. Is anyone else
experience this issue, or am I the lucky guy for this bug? Cheers and as
always thanks for such frequent updates.

Alex

On May 19, 2018, at 7:07 AM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...>
wrote:

it's impressive that Kosta has gotten another FlickType release out to
us so quickly. Thank you. Here are my initial thoughts.
The new flick gestures--especially the one to capitalize a letter are
useful. Using FlickType touch typing to go back by character to ensure
a word is capitalized or spelled correctly is convenient.
I preferred the magic tap gesture for switching between flick and touch
typing modes. Frequently when touch typing, I accidentally press the
"typing style" when intending to press space or the "more numbers"
button. I might be in the minority, but for me, it would be nice to go
back to having the magic tap gesture switch between modes. With time, I
can become accustomed to anything though. I thought that FlickType was
taking a while to come up with the right word for me in the flick
typing mode, but I think that it is me just taking time to get warmed
up to the keyboard. I will report back if I have further trouble.
Chanelle

Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the
group, so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and
eventually there will be a manual input mode similar to the main app.

- Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard or
typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change back
to Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will need
to release your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is
annoying but will be addressed soon.
- Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick
left will delete the last character, flick right will add a space,
flick up and down will change the current character's case. Two finger
flick left or right will move the cursor by character.
- Added word echo

Kosta

--
Muhammad Salman Haider
(765) 586-6840

Chuck Dean

Hi David,
I find that my problem and type in shorter words, and not having them come up in the suggestion list, is usually my poor typing. Usually it happens when I’m in kind of a hurry, and I am typing to rapidly. I slow down, and make my taps more accurate, and it always seems to help.

For me the prediction engine is working fantastic!

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 10:34 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

On a separate note, how are people finding the accuracy of the typing engine itself these days? I'm sure it's an ongoing part of the development.
For me, its mostly really good, but I do still sometimes run into frustrations. Long words are generally very successful, so long as I know how to spell the word.
I do still have some problems at times with shorter words, where of course there are far more possible words for the engine to recommend. In recent days for example, I recall trying to type the words "read" and "date", and for whatever reason, for the life of me, I could not get the engine to suggest them, even with multiple swipes down. But just now, I was able to type them just fine.
Some of this is clearly down to the user, but frustrating when it does happen. I wonder if there is scope for the engine, while still primarily making its recommendations based on the typing pattern, to have some level of context based predictions, like the iOS keyboard does, albeit implemented very differently.

Dave

Chuck

I hope this helps,

Chuck

Alex

Chanelle

- Added word echo

Kosta

Michael Maslo

So far for me the engine is working perfectly for me. I have had no issues whatsoever with the typing. I have to remember to move my fingers away from the same place if that makes sense. I can say if I do that the engine is perfect.

Sincerely,, mike 

On May 19, 2018 at 12:44, <Salman Haider> wrote:

I agree with everything here Dave. Exactly my experience as far as the

accuracy of the prediction of the typing engine is concerned.

On 5/19/18, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>
> On a separate note, how are people finding the accuracy of the typing engine
> itself these days? I'm sure it's an ongoing part of the development.
> For me, its mostly really good, but I do still sometimes run into
> frustrations. Long words are generally very successful, so long as I know
> how to spell the word.
> I do still have some problems at times with shorter words, where of course
> there are far more possible words for the engine to recommend. In recent
> days for example, I recall trying to type the words "read" and "date", and
> for whatever reason, for the life of me, I could not get the engine to
> suggest them, even with multiple swipes down. But just now, I was able to
> type them just fine.
> Some of this is clearly down to the user, but frustrating when it does
> happen. I wonder if there is scope for the engine, while still primarily
> making its recommendations based on the typing pattern, to have some level
> of context based predictions, like the iOS keyboard does, albeit implemented
> very differently.
> On the whole I'm extremely happy with it though.
>
> Dave
>> On 19 May 2018, at 17:31, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>
>> Btw to insert a new line using the custom keyboard, do a single tap and
>> hold, which will open the touch typing keyboard, now find the return key
>> in the bottom right corner and tap. Your new line will be entered, like
>> this,
>>
>>
>> I just put in three new lines.
>> To go back to the custom keyboard, fine the style key, which is on the
>> bottom, and is the second key from the left between the more numbers key
>> and the space key.
>>
>>
>> Chuck
>>
>>> On May 19, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Hello Alex, you are indeed the lucky guy, as I tried to duplicate your
>>> problem, and could not.
>>> I did notice the landscape lock, left, did not work in the custom
>>> keyboard. In other words, the setting had no effect on the custom
>>> keyboard. When I went back to the app, the keyboard was locked in
>>> landscape, left.
>>> By guess is landscape lock is only in the app version.
>>> I hope this helps,
>>>
>>>
>>> Chuck
>>>
>>>> On May 19, 2018, at 8:50 AM, Alex Hiironen <l000b2a@...> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hey Kosta and all, so far I am getting used to this new way of topping.
>>>> However, there are two things still annoying me. First, I still can't
>>>> get new lines to work in the custom keyboards. Second, I am still having
>>>> issues with the main app just not showing up properly. I completely
>>>> removed FlickType and waited days to install it again, no dice. I have
>>>> my orientation set to landscape left and it's showing up in portrait of
>>>> or only taking up the first half of the screen. When I open settings, it
>>>> will eventually switch to landscape as it should appear. Is anyone else
>>>> experience this issue, or am I the lucky guy for this bug? Cheers and as
>>>> always thanks for such frequent updates.
>>>>
>>>> Alex
>>>>
>>>>> On May 19, 2018, at 7:07 AM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hello Kosta, Ashley, and Group,
>>>>> it's impressive that Kosta has gotten another FlickType release out to
>>>>> us so quickly. Thank you. Here are my initial thoughts.
>>>>> The new flick gestures--especially the one to capitalize a letter are
>>>>> useful. Using FlickType touch typing to go back by character to ensure
>>>>> a word is capitalized or spelled correctly is convenient.
>>>>> I preferred the magic tap gesture for switching between flick and touch
>>>>> typing modes. Frequently when touch typing, I accidentally press the
>>>>> "typing style" when intending to press space or the "more numbers"
>>>>> button. I might be in the minority, but for me, it would be nice to go
>>>>> back to having the magic tap gesture switch between modes. With time, I
>>>>> can become accustomed to anything though. I thought that FlickType was
>>>>> taking a while to come up with the right word for me in the flick
>>>>> typing mode, but I think that it is me just taking time to get warmed
>>>>> up to the keyboard. I will report back if I have further trouble.
>>>>> Chanelle
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> On May 19, 2018, at 02:39, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the
>>>>>> group, so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and
>>>>>> eventually there will be a manual input mode similar to the main app.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Touch Typing related changes:
>>>>>> - Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard or
>>>>>> typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change back
>>>>>> to Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will need
>>>>>> to release your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is
>>>>>> annoying but will be addressed soon.
>>>>>> - Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick
>>>>>> left will delete the last character, flick right will add a space,
>>>>>> flick up and down will change the current character's case. Two finger
>>>>>> flick left or right will move the cursor by character.
>>>>>> - Fixed inverted shift state announcement bug
>>>>>> - Shift will automatically be selected and unselected as needed.
>>>>>> - Character echo will now respect the setting from the main app
>>>>>> - Added word echo
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Kosta
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

--
Muhammad Salman Haider
(765) 586-6840

Chanelle Allen

Hi Dave and List,
I am having problems with typing accuracy today. Shorter words often take FlickType a few tries to guess, but even words that it gets right are taking some time to come up. A while back, I think that I also had a problem with the word "read." longer words are always easier for FlickType to guess. Sometimes, my problem is not spacing out my taps correctly, because I am more accustomed to the iOS keyboard occupying less of the screen. Aiming correctly requires more concentration though, and once I get going, the typing engine and I become less in sync. The feature that learns our particular typing habits will be a real time saver once it is developed.
It's interesting that Dabe's difficult FlickType words are being less troublesome today while I am experiencing more problems. For me, the words FlickType has difficulty guessing vary by day. Today, they are "guess" and "words. " Another reason I could be struggling a bit has to do with the fact that in other emails, I had to switch frequently to touch typing. The magic tap gesture for switching modes just made so much more sense to me, but soon the issue will be irrelevant.
Until Dave mentioned the subject, I did not want FlickType to attempt to guess or suggest words based on context. In the light of improving typing accuracy, I have changed my opinion. Anything that speeds up writing/typing is very welcome.
Chanelle

On May 19, 2018, at 12:34, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Dave

Chuck

I hope this helps,

Chuck

Alex

Chanelle

- Added word echo

Kosta

Alex Hiironen

On a note regarding accuracy, I've noticed that the custom keyboard still seems a bit laggy. if I type reasonably fast, it misses almost all the letters. I need to crawl type to get things to show up properly.

Not complaining, just pointing it out.
As always thx Kosta and Ashley for a solid release nonetheless. A lot of potential here. :)

Alex

On May 19, 2018, at 2:46 PM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hi Dave and List,
I am having problems with typing accuracy today. Shorter words often take FlickType a few tries to guess, but even words that it gets right are taking some time to come up. A while back, I think that I also had a problem with the word "read." longer words are always easier for FlickType to guess. Sometimes, my problem is not spacing out my taps correctly, because I am more accustomed to the iOS keyboard occupying less of the screen. Aiming correctly requires more concentration though, and once I get going, the typing engine and I become less in sync. The feature that learns our particular typing habits will be a real time saver once it is developed.
It's interesting that Dabe's difficult FlickType words are being less troublesome today while I am experiencing more problems. For me, the words FlickType has difficulty guessing vary by day. Today, they are "guess" and "words. " Another reason I could be struggling a bit has to do with the fact that in other emails, I had to switch frequently to touch typing. The magic tap gesture for switching modes just made so much more sense to me, but soon the issue will be irrelevant.
Until Dave mentioned the subject, I did not want FlickType to attempt to guess or suggest words based on context. In the light of improving typing accuracy, I have changed my opinion. Anything that speeds up writing/typing is very welcome.
Chanelle

Dave

Chuck

I hope this helps,

Chuck

Alex

Chanelle

- Added word echo

Kosta

Sharon Kim

Hello all,
Okay I have to say I am so not a fan for this latest update. to say
I'm not a fan would be an understatement.
1. The hold and tap gesture, has to go. The magic tap was much better.
Mostly because it was much quicker, and much more responsive.
2. also, there is now ay to switch keyboards, once you enter flick
type. It is very annoying, especially since I'm used to the tap and
hold gesture to switch to the next keyboard, and that is now gone.
I know it's a work in progress, but over all, not a fan. I've reverted
to using the main app due to this last change.

On 5/19/18, Alex Hiironen <l000b2a@...> wrote:
On a note regarding accuracy, I've noticed that the custom keyboard still
seems a bit laggy. if I type reasonably fast, it misses almost all the
letters. I need to crawl type to get things to show up properly.

Not complaining, just pointing it out.
As always thx Kosta and Ashley for a solid release nonetheless. A lot of
potential here. :)

Alex

On May 19, 2018, at 2:46 PM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...>
wrote:

Hi Dave and List,
I am having problems with typing accuracy today. Shorter words often take
FlickType a few tries to guess, but even words that it gets right are
taking some time to come up. A while back, I think that I also had a
problem with the word "read." longer words are always easier for FlickType
to guess. Sometimes, my problem is not spacing out my taps correctly,
because I am more accustomed to the iOS keyboard occupying less of the
screen. Aiming correctly requires more concentration though, and once I
get going, the typing engine and I become less in sync. The feature that
learns our particular typing habits will be a real time saver once it is
developed.
It's interesting that Dabe's difficult FlickType words are being less
troublesome today while I am experiencing more problems. For me, the words
FlickType has difficulty guessing vary by day. Today, they are "guess" and
"words. " Another reason I could be struggling a bit has to do with the
fact that in other emails, I had to switch frequently to touch typing. The
magic tap gesture for switching modes just made so much more sense to me,
but soon the issue will be irrelevant.
Until Dave mentioned the subject, I did not want FlickType to attempt to
guess or suggest words based on context. In the light of improving typing
accuracy, I have changed my opinion. Anything that speeds up
writing/typing is very welcome.
Chanelle

On a separate note, how are people finding the accuracy of the typing
engine itself these days? I'm sure it's an ongoing part of the
development.
For me, its mostly really good, but I do still sometimes run into
frustrations. Long words are generally very successful, so long as I know
how to spell the word.
I do still have some problems at times with shorter words, where of
course there are far more possible words for the engine to recommend. In
recent days for example, I recall trying to type the words "read" and
"date", and for whatever reason, for the life of me, I could not get the
engine to suggest them, even with multiple swipes down. But just now, I
was able to type them just fine.
Some of this is clearly down to the user, but frustrating when it does
happen. I wonder if there is scope for the engine, while still primarily
making its recommendations based on the typing pattern, to have some
level of context based predictions, like the iOS keyboard does, albeit
implemented very differently.

Dave

Btw to insert a new line using the custom keyboard, do a single tap and
hold, which will open the touch typing keyboard, now find the return key
in the bottom right corner and tap. Your new line will be entered, like
this,

To go back to the custom keyboard, fine the style key, which is on the
bottom, and is the second key from the left between the more numbers key
and the space key.

Chuck

Hello Alex, you are indeed the lucky guy, as I tried to duplicate your
problem, and could not.
I did notice the landscape lock, left, did not work in the custom
keyboard. In other words, the setting had no effect on the custom
keyboard. When I went back to the app, the keyboard was locked in
landscape, left.
I hope this helps,

Chuck

Hey Kosta and all, so far I am getting used to this new way of
topping. However, there are two things still annoying me. First, I
still can't get new lines to work in the custom keyboards. Second, I
am still having issues with the main app just not showing up properly.
I completely removed FlickType and waited days to install it again, no
dice. I have my orientation set to landscape left and it's showing up
in portrait of or only taking up the first half of the screen. When I
open settings, it will eventually switch to landscape as it should
appear. Is anyone else experience this issue, or am I the lucky guy
for this bug? Cheers and as always thanks for such frequent updates.

Alex

On May 19, 2018, at 7:07 AM, Chanelle Allen
<chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

it's impressive that Kosta has gotten another FlickType release out
to us so quickly. Thank you. Here are my initial thoughts.
The new flick gestures--especially the one to capitalize a letter are
useful. Using FlickType touch typing to go back by character to
ensure a word is capitalized or spelled correctly is convenient.
I preferred the magic tap gesture for switching between flick and
touch typing modes. Frequently when touch typing, I accidentally
press the "typing style" when intending to press space or the "more
numbers" button. I might be in the minority, but for me, it would be
nice to go back to having the magic tap gesture switch between modes.
With time, I can become accustomed to anything though. I thought that
FlickType was taking a while to come up with the right word for me in
the flick typing mode, but I think that it is me just taking time to
get warmed up to the keyboard. I will report back if I have further
trouble.
Chanelle

Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the
group, so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and
eventually there will be a manual input mode similar to the main
app.

- Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard
or typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change
back to Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will
need to release your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is
annoying but will be addressed soon.
- Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick
left will delete the last character, flick right will add a space,
flick up and down will change the current character's case. Two
finger flick left or right will move the cursor by character.
- Added word echo

Kosta

Thank you all for the helpful feedback. Just a quick reminder that you can always revert to one of the previous builds from TestFlight at any time.

Thanks,
Kosta

- To join our beta, please send an email here
- Browse all our forum topics
Post to our forum
Join our forum
Help & support
- Follow us on Twitter

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 3:33 PM, Sharon Kim <sharon.mi.kim22@...> wrote:
Hello all,
Okay I have to say I am so not a fan for this latest update. to say
I'm not a fan would be an understatement.
1. The hold and tap gesture, has to go. The magic tap was much better.
Mostly because it was much quicker, and much more responsive.
2. also, there is now ay to switch keyboards, once you enter flick
type. It is very annoying, especially since I'm used to the tap and
hold gesture to switch to the next keyboard, and that is now gone.
I know it's a work in progress, but over all, not a fan. I've reverted
to using the main app due to this last change.

On 5/19/18, Alex Hiironen <l000b2a@...> wrote:
> On a note regarding accuracy, I've noticed that the custom keyboard still
> seems a bit laggy. if I type reasonably fast, it misses almost all the
> letters. I need to crawl type to get things to show up properly.
>
> Not complaining, just pointing it out.
> As always thx Kosta and Ashley for a solid release nonetheless. A lot of
> potential here. :)
>
>
>
> Alex
>
>> On May 19, 2018, at 2:46 PM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Hi Dave and List,
>> I am having problems with typing accuracy today. Shorter words often take
>> FlickType a few tries to guess, but even words that it gets right are
>> taking some time to come up. A while back, I think that I also had a
>> problem with the word "read." longer words are always easier for FlickType
>> to guess. Sometimes, my problem is not spacing out my taps correctly,
>> because I am more accustomed to the iOS keyboard occupying less of the
>> screen. Aiming correctly requires more concentration though, and once I
>> get going, the typing engine and I become less in sync. The feature that
>> learns our particular typing habits will be a real time saver once it is
>> developed.
>> It's interesting that Dabe's difficult FlickType words are being less
>> troublesome today while I am experiencing more problems. For me, the words
>> FlickType has difficulty guessing vary by day. Today, they are "guess" and
>> "words. " Another reason I could be struggling a bit has to do with the
>> fact that in other emails, I had to switch frequently to touch typing. The
>> magic tap gesture for switching modes just made so much more sense to me,
>> but soon the issue will be irrelevant.
>> Until Dave mentioned the subject, I did not want FlickType to attempt to
>> guess or suggest words based on context. In the light of improving typing
>> accuracy, I have changed my opinion. Anything that speeds up
>> writing/typing is very welcome.
>> Chanelle
>>
>>
>>> On May 19, 2018, at 12:34, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> On a separate note, how are people finding the accuracy of the typing
>>> engine itself these days? I'm sure it's an ongoing part of the
>>> development.
>>> For me, its mostly really good, but I do still sometimes run into
>>> frustrations. Long words are generally very successful, so long as I know
>>> how to spell the word.
>>> I do still have some problems at times with shorter words, where of
>>> course there are far more possible words for the engine to recommend. In
>>> recent days for example, I recall trying to type the words "read" and
>>> "date", and for whatever reason, for the life of me, I could not get the
>>> engine to suggest them, even with multiple swipes down. But just now, I
>>> was able to type them just fine.
>>> Some of this is clearly down to the user, but frustrating when it does
>>> happen. I wonder if there is scope for the engine, while still primarily
>>> making its recommendations based on the typing pattern, to have some
>>> level of context based predictions, like the iOS keyboard does, albeit
>>> implemented very differently.
>>> On the whole I'm extremely happy with it though.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>> On 19 May 2018, at 17:31, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Btw to insert a new line using the custom keyboard, do a single tap and
>>>> hold, which will open the touch typing keyboard, now find the return key
>>>> in the bottom right corner and tap. Your new line will be entered, like
>>>> this,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I just put in three new lines.
>>>> To go back to the custom keyboard, fine the style key, which is on the
>>>> bottom, and is the second key from the left between the more numbers key
>>>> and the space key.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Chuck
>>>>
>>>>> On May 19, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hello Alex, you are indeed the lucky guy, as I tried to duplicate your
>>>>> problem, and could not.
>>>>> I did notice the landscape lock, left, did not work in the custom
>>>>> keyboard. In other words, the setting had no effect on the custom
>>>>> keyboard. When I went back to the app, the keyboard was locked in
>>>>> landscape, left.
>>>>> By guess is landscape lock is only in the app version.
>>>>> I hope this helps,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Chuck
>>>>>
>>>>>> On May 19, 2018, at 8:50 AM, Alex Hiironen <l000b2a@...> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hey Kosta and all, so far I am getting used to this new way of
>>>>>> topping. However, there are two things still annoying me. First, I
>>>>>> still can't get new lines to work in the custom keyboards. Second, I
>>>>>> am still having issues with the main app just not showing up properly.
>>>>>> I completely removed FlickType and waited days to install it again, no
>>>>>> dice. I have my orientation set to landscape left and it's showing up
>>>>>> in portrait of or only taking up the first half of the screen. When I
>>>>>> open settings, it will eventually switch to landscape as it should
>>>>>> appear. Is anyone else experience this issue, or am I the lucky guy
>>>>>> for this bug? Cheers and as always thanks for such frequent updates.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Alex
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On May 19, 2018, at 7:07 AM, Chanelle Allen
>>>>>>> <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hello Kosta, Ashley, and Group,
>>>>>>> it's impressive that Kosta has gotten another FlickType release out
>>>>>>> to us so quickly. Thank you. Here are my initial thoughts.
>>>>>>> The new flick gestures--especially the one to capitalize a letter are
>>>>>>> useful. Using FlickType touch typing to go back by character to
>>>>>>> ensure a word is capitalized or spelled correctly is convenient.
>>>>>>> I preferred the magic tap gesture for switching between flick and
>>>>>>> touch typing modes. Frequently when touch typing, I accidentally
>>>>>>> press the "typing style" when intending to press space or the "more
>>>>>>> numbers" button. I might be in the minority, but for me, it would be
>>>>>>> nice to go back to having the magic tap gesture switch between modes.
>>>>>>> With time, I can become accustomed to anything though. I thought that
>>>>>>> FlickType was taking a while to come up with the right word for me in
>>>>>>> the flick typing mode, but I think that it is me just taking time to
>>>>>>> get warmed up to the keyboard. I will report back if I have further
>>>>>>> trouble.
>>>>>>> Chanelle
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On May 19, 2018, at 02:39, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the
>>>>>>>> group, so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and
>>>>>>>> eventually there will be a manual input mode similar to the main
>>>>>>>> app.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Touch Typing related changes:
>>>>>>>> - Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard
>>>>>>>> or typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change
>>>>>>>> back to Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will
>>>>>>>> need to release your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is
>>>>>>>> annoying but will be addressed soon.
>>>>>>>> - Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick
>>>>>>>> left will delete the last character, flick right will add a space,
>>>>>>>> flick up and down will change the current character's case. Two
>>>>>>>> finger flick left or right will move the cursor by character.
>>>>>>>> - Fixed inverted shift state announcement bug
>>>>>>>> - Shift will automatically be selected and unselected as needed.
>>>>>>>> - Character echo will now respect the setting from the main app
>>>>>>>> - Added word echo
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Kosta
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>