Topics

Build 57

Paul Sutton

Ok, I already posted this somewhere but for the life of me I have no idea where it's gone. Anyway, this build seems to be running ok at the moment. I really like the tap sounds when flicking through the text. Also yes, the sentence feedback is indeed working in other apps now. I still however would prefer the tap sounds to be played when I tap a key rather upon the release. I do know that you are aware of this though. As always, keep up the good work, Paul.

Paul Sutton

Sorry just to elaborate, when I was referring to the tap sounds I was meaning the sounds when tapping a letter and not the flicking through sounds.☺️

On 6 May 2018, at 12:14, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:

Ok, I already posted this somewhere but for the life of me I have no idea where it's gone. Anyway, this build seems to be running ok at the moment. I really like the tap sounds when flicking through the text. Also yes, the sentence feedback is indeed working in other apps now. I still however would prefer the tap sounds to be played when I tap a key rather upon the release. I do know that you are aware of this though. As always, keep up the good work, Paul.

Alex Hiironen

Hello Kosta,

With build 57 I'm still experiencing the issue I talked about before. I'm in the main FlickType app and using it in landscape. At first. The keyboard takes up half the screen. So the P key is somewhere in the middle top instead of on the right as it should be. When opening the settings panel and immediately closing it, the keyboard behaves fine and works as it did in build 50 and so on. So this must be something specific to the last couple builds. Fascinating...
I have not changed anything regarding iOS. This is still 11.3.

I'm using an iPhone 8+

Thanks much. I will write back with any feedback on the system wide keyboard if I find anything.

Alex
PS: I think the words iPhone, iPad, iPod and their plural counterparts should be in the dictionary. They are common phrases for a good majority of people. At least on my devices, I had to add all those manually. Not a big deal, but figured I'd mention it.

Michael Maslo

Hello, I am running version fifty seven and using it with the custom keyboard. In is running beautiful. I have no latency nor memory issues. I can type perfect with the keyboard. I see no use for the stand alone application myself. I use the custom keyboard by itself all the time end see no problems with it. I riot emails, texts and face book postings without issues. I do hope though down the road for the manual input but it is no big deal. I as said love this keyboard.

Sincerely,, mike

On May 6, 2018 at 09:48, <Alex Hiironen (mailto:l000b2a@...)> wrote:

>
Hello Kosta,

With build 57 I'm still experiencing the issue I talked about before. I'm in the main FlickType app and using it in landscape. At first. The keyboard takes up half the screen. So the P key is somewhere in the middle top instead of on the right as it should be. When opening the settings panel and immediately closing it, the keyboard behaves fine and works as it did in build 50 and so on. So this must be something specific to the last couple builds. Fascinating...

I'm using an iPhone 8+

Thanks much. I will write back with any feedback on the system wide keyboard if I find anything.

Alex
PS: I think the words iPhone, iPad, iPod and their plural counterparts should be in the dictionary. They are common phrases for a good majority of people. At least on my devices, I had to add all those manually. Not a big deal, but figured I'd mention it.

David Nason

Build 57 is working well so far. The lag and pitch of announcements does seem better.
However it is now displaying the cursor to the right of the large text words on screen. I can live with this, but it is a bit irritating and distracting, so given the choice, it would not be there.
I still find the prediction engine to be better in the main app than in the custom keyboard.

Dave

On 6 May 2018, at 15:55, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

Hello, I am running version fifty seven and using it with the custom keyboard. In is running beautiful. I have no latency nor memory issues. I can type perfect with the keyboard. I see no use for the stand alone application myself. I use the custom keyboard by itself all the time end see no problems with it. I riot emails, texts and face book postings without issues. I do hope though down the road for the manual input but it is no big deal. I as said love this keyboard.

Sincerely,, mike

Hello Kosta,

I'm using an iPhone 8+

Alex

Benny Barber

OK, I did not get an e-mail announcing build 57. I am responding to Paul's
e-mail.

I'm curious to know if anyone is having this problem. If I type several
sentences in the custom keyboard, go back to the iOS keyboard and then
return to the custom keyboard; everything is deleted from the custom
keyboard except the last sentence. This happens in both the Mail app and
the Messages app.

I am liking the custom keyboard more because I can now have the typing set
to standard and the typing feedback set to characters and words. It is
working fine with those settings now. Way to go Kosta.

I can move by sentence with the 3 finger flick now in both the Mail app and
the Messages app.

I would like the key taps to be when your finger touches the screen and not
when you lift your finger. It is getting better all the time. Thanks So
much.

Benny

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Paul Sutton
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2018 6:15 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 57

Ok, I already posted this somewhere but for the life of me I have no idea
where it's gone. Anyway, this build seems to be running ok at the moment. I
really like the tap sounds when flicking through the text. Also yes, the
sentence feedback is indeed working in other apps now. I still however would
prefer the tap sounds to be played when I tap a key rather upon the release
I do know that you are aware of this though. As always, keep up the good
work, Paul.

George Cham

Ok, I did not see an email about build57. But I got a TestFlight notification about build55. Typing this reply on I pad . Also, I'm getting use to the large letters when typing with the custom keyboard.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Sent: Monday, May 7, 2018 2:53:34 AM
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 57

OK, I did not get an e-mail announcing build 57. I am responding to Paul's
e-mail.

I'm curious to know if anyone is having this problem. If I type several
sentences in the custom keyboard, go back to the iOS keyboard and then
return to the custom keyboard; everything is deleted from the custom
keyboard except the last sentence. This happens in both the Mail app and
the Messages app.

I am liking the custom keyboard more because I can now have the typing set
to standard and the typing feedback set to characters and words. It is
working fine with those settings now. Way to go Kosta.

I can move by sentence with the 3 finger flick now in both the Mail app and
the Messages app.

I would like the key taps to be when your finger touches the screen and not
when you lift your finger. It is getting better all the time. Thanks So
much.

Benny

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Paul Sutton
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2018 6:15 AM
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 57

Ok, I already posted this somewhere but for the life of me I have no idea
where it's gone. Anyway, this build seems to be running ok at the moment. I
really like the tap sounds when flicking through the text. Also yes, the
sentence feedback is indeed working in other apps now. I still however would
prefer the tap sounds to be played when I tap a key rather upon the release
I do know that you are aware of this though. As always, keep up the good
work, Paul.

Chuck Dean

Build 57
I typed one journal entry with the custom keyboard, then the memory warning showed up and after typing two sentences would not go away. I am now using the App.

From the little I was able to type, I thought it performed well. The big white cursor is a little distracting, but I see its usefulness when moving the cursor. Perhaps if it was a different color, maybe blue or yellow. Maby a toggle for those who don’t want it.

After I typed my journal entry I accidentally closed the journal App instead of dismissing the keyboard. When I came back only the first line of type remained.

Chuck

Chuck Dean

Hello, I did a reboot of my phone, and now I can type again. Is anyone else having the memory warning issue? I have gone back into settings and changed my typing feedback back to words; this is sounding good. I didn't realize how dependent I was on that little feature. This cursor works great, but as I said in my last email a little distracting. I'd would like to see an option for a different color or to turn it off completely. Also looking forward to when we can insert a new line. Otherwise, good job!

Chuck

Salman Haider

I have to agree with Dave. The prediction engine is definitely better in the main app compared to the custom keyboard. Takes me much longer to get the correct words typed using the custom keyboard, as I have to flick down many times on every other word or so to get the right word to come up, or simply swipe left and attempt typing the word again. Apart from that, it's working fine for me. The pitch issues and the lag issues are much better in this update. In fact, I should say that I am not having them at all thus far. I typed this all out using the custom keyboard.
Salman

On May 6, 2018, at 11:30 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Build 57 is working well so far. The lag and pitch of announcements does seem better.
However it is now displaying the cursor to the right of the large text words on screen. I can live with this, but it is a bit irritating and distracting, so given the choice, it would not be there.
I still find the prediction engine to be better in the main app than in the custom keyboard.

Dave

Sincerely,, mike

Hello Kosta,

I'm using an iPhone 8+

Alex

Chuck Dean

Now that you mention it, I also notice the prediction engine doesn't seem to do as well with the custom keyboard. Many times I need to erase a word and start over.

Chuck

On May 6, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

I have to agree with Dave. The prediction engine is definitely better in the main app compared to the custom keyboard. Takes me much longer to get the correct words typed using the custom keyboard, as I have to flick down many times on every other word or so to get the right word to come up, or simply swipe left and attempt typing the word again. Apart from that, it's working fine for me. The pitch issues and the lag issues are much better in this update. In fact, I should say that I am not having them at all thus far. I typed this all out using the custom keyboard.
Salman

Dave

Sincerely,, mike

Hello Kosta,

I'm using an iPhone 8+

Alex

Michael Maslo

I have had no issues what so ever with the custom keyboard. No memory issues no nothing. My custom keyboard has been working so awesome.

Sincerely,, mike

On May 6, 2018 at 12:49, <Chuck Dean (mailto:cadean329@...)> wrote:

Hello, I did a reboot of my phone, and now I can type again. Is anyone else having the memory warning issue? I have gone back into settings and changed my typing feedback back to words; this is sounding good. I didn't realize how dependent I was on that little feature. This cursor works great, but as I said in my last email a little distracting. I'd would like to see an option for a different color or to turn it off completely. Also looking forward to when we can insert a new line. Otherwise, good job!

Chuck

Chuck Dean

Hi mike, what iPhone are you using, and what iOS are you running?

Chuck

On May 6, 2018, at 11:06 AM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

I have had no issues what so ever with the custom keyboard. No memory issues no nothing. My custom keyboard has been working so awesome.

Sincerely,, mike

Chuck

Benny Barber

I have not had any issues with the memory problem, but then again I have nut typed that much. I have had the problem of losing text except for the last line.

On May 6, 2018, at 12:49 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Chuck

Benny Barber

Michael,

Have you had any problem losing text in the custom keyboard when you toggle between the custom keyboard and the iOS keyboard? I have been losing everything except the last sentence in the custom keyboard. Thanks.

Benny

On May 6, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

Sincerely,, mike

Chuck

Paul Sutton

hi all, I just thought I would say that I have also noticed that the prediction Engine is a lot more difficult to please when compared with the main app. However as yet i have had none of the memory issues that others have experienced, Paul.

David Nason

I am kind of seeing this problem of losing sentences too. However it is only when the FlickType keyboard is on screen that this is the case. If I go back to the main email screen, with the standard iOS keyboard on screen, or no keyboard at all, then the full content of what I had typed is still there.

Dave

On 6 May 2018, at 19:25, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Michael,

Have you had any problem losing text in the custom keyboard when you toggle between the custom keyboard and the iOS keyboard? I have been losing everything except the last sentence in the custom keyboard. Thanks.

Benny

Sincerely,, mike

Chuck

Santiago

I also noticed this. Not to mention, it seems to be more sluggish on my iPhone X than my SE.

On May 6, 2018, at 11:03 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Now that you mention it, I also notice the prediction engine doesn't seem to do as well with the custom keyboard. Many times I need to erase a word and start over.

Chuck

On May 6, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

Salman

Dave

Sincerely,, mike

Hello Kosta,

I'm using an iPhone 8+

Alex

Benny Barber

Yes, the loss is only in the custom keyboard.

On May 6, 2018, at 1:32 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

I am kind of seeing this problem of losing sentences too. However it is only when the FlickType keyboard is on screen that this is the case. If I go back to the main email screen, with the standard iOS keyboard on screen, or no keyboard at all, then the full content of what I had typed is still there.

Dave
On 6 May 2018, at 19:25, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Michael,

Benny

Sincerely,, mike

Chuck

Chanelle Allen

Hello,
As with others in this group, I did not receive a message from TestFlight but updated anyway. Did Kosta send an introductory message?
On my phone, build 57 performs as expected. Personally, I find the cursor sounds for navigating between words and sentences to be unnecessary. More testing on my part will determine whether or not the sound is distracting, but I don't think it will be. I still prefer the typing experience offered by the FlickType app. As others have said, the predictive engine in the FlickType app is slightly better than the engine used in the keyboard.
For me, the FlickType app has two advantages over the keyboard--no lag and customizable tap volume. I know that Kosta continues to address typing latency in each new build. It seems that there is less lag upon beginning a new typing session regardless of the app being used. After a couple of sentences or switching back to the FlickType keyboard from another app or the iOS keyboard, the latency increases. Again, I need to do more extensive testing to verify my statement and do not write frequent email, texts, or social media posts. My phone has not given a low memory warning or deleted the last line of text.
Will it eventually be possible to customize the tap sound volume for the FlickType keyboard? The tap sound (type of sound) specified in settings does carry over to the keyboard. I had not read the fine print to realize that nothing was stated about volume. The only way to change volume is to set sound effects mode to unduckable. The volume of the taps is so loud for me when using the keyboard that I am able to use the custom keyboard for only a short period of time. Everyone has such widely varying needs, and the sound may be just fine for most people. I am sound sensitive and experience frequent headaches. As a result, my VoiceOver sounds, raised pitch when typing, and keyboard clicks are turned off. The FlickType app tap sounds set to 20% do not bother me at all.
Finally, last week, my problem with hearing space when flicking down went away once I discovered that my cursor was not at the end of the document. Even though the "space" bug has been fixed, I have made it a habit to use the two and three finger flicks to ensure that I am at the end of a document before typing.

Chanelle