Build 55

Thanks Chuck. Anyone else getting these memory warnings?

Kosta

On May 4, 2018, at 11:20, Chuck Dean <cadean329@gmail.com> wrote:

I was trying to reply to a post in the ViPhone group, and the custom keyboard locked up and I couldn't do anything with it.

(I had to go to the iOS keyboard, to finish this email because the memory warning keeps coming up. I am dictating this.)

Just now as I was trying to type this with Fliktype custom keyboard, the memory warning came back, and would not let me do anything.
At this time I don’t think I can use the custom keyboard to reliably enter text in any field. When it works, it works great, but it seem to lock up on me a lot.

Chuck

Chuck Dean

It should also be noted that I am doing an awful lot of typing. Probably more than most people.

Chuck

On May 4, 2018, at 11:29 AM, FlickType <hello@flicktype.com> wrote:

Kosta

I was trying to reply to a post in the ViPhone group, and the custom keyboard locked up and I couldn't do anything with it.

(I had to go to the iOS keyboard, to finish this email because the memory warning keeps coming up. I am dictating this.)

Just now as I was trying to type this with Fliktype custom keyboard, the memory warning came back, and would not let me do anything.
At this time I don’t think I can use the custom keyboard to reliably enter text in any field. When it works, it works great, but it seem to lock up on me a lot.

Chuck

Benny Barber

Kosta,

I noticed a small issue when toggling between the custom keyboard and an editable app. For example, if I open the iOS messages app, then open the custom keyboard, accidentally enter a character, delete everything and then go back to the messages app; a space has been entered into the edit field at the start. No big deal, but something. Thanks.

Benny

On May 4, 2018, at 12:32 AM, FlickType <hello@flicktype.com> wrote:

- Fixed audio latency. Hopefully it should now feel more like the main app, apart from the tap feedback delay. Please note: you must set VoiceOver typing feedback to "Nothing", otherwise the announcements will be laggy and sound like the voice has a cold and a stutter - no kidding. For some reason the iOS announcements are lower-quality as well as delayed, and because of the delay they almost immediately interrupt the FlickType announcements.
- You can now type your custom dictionary words, as well as some additional built-in words. You must run the main app once after updating for your words to carry over.
- Improved memory management. Hopefully you won't get those memory warnings any more, fingers crossed.
- First word in mail app should now be correctly capitalized.

Paul Sutton

Hey everyone, I have noticed when I am writing an email and use the three finger swipe left and right, each sentence is spoken. However, when writing a text message nothing happens except when I reach the end or beginning it just simply says beginning or end of document. I just wondered if anyone else had this problem. Paul.

On 4 May 2018, at 19:40, Chuck Dean <cadean329@gmail.com> wrote:

It should also be noted that I am doing an awful lot of typing. Probably more than most people.

Chuck

Kosta

Chuck

Thank you Benny. Do you by any chance now get feedback when moving the cursor through entire sentences?

On May 4, 2018, at 12:17, Benny Barber <rebelben@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Kosta,

I noticed a small issue when toggling between the custom keyboard and an editable app. For example, if I open the iOS messages app, then open the custom keyboard, accidentally enter a character, delete everything and then go back to the messages app; a space has been entered into the edit field at the start. No big deal, but something. Thanks.

Benny

- Fixed audio latency. Hopefully it should now feel more like the main app, apart from the tap feedback delay. Please note: you must set VoiceOver typing feedback to "Nothing", otherwise the announcements will be laggy and sound like the voice has a cold and a stutter - no kidding. For some reason the iOS announcements are lower-quality as well as delayed, and because of the delay they almost immediately interrupt the FlickType announcements.
- You can now type your custom dictionary words, as well as some additional built-in words. You must run the main app once after updating for your words to carry over.
- Improved memory management. Hopefully you won't get those memory warnings any more, fingers crossed.

Thank you Paul, based on your message, I managed to reproduce the missing sentence feedback. It seems to happen in messages but not other applications that I tried. I assume this is the same issue that Benny is experiencing. I will investigate. Thanks, Kosta

On May 4, 2018, at 12:22, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Hey everyone, I have noticed when I am writing an email and use the three finger swipe left and right, each sentence is spoken. However, when writing a text message nothing happens except when I reach the end or beginning it just simply says beginning or end of document. I just wondered if anyone else had this problem. Paul.

Chuck

Kosta

Chuck

Rocco Fiorentino

Hi all,

This build is great, thank you so much! I’m curious about something though. In the previous build, build fifty four, the voice over speech issue did not exist in the keyboard extension, and it didn't matter what your typing echo was set to. Is there a way to change back to that behavior, or what changed in this build that no longer allows FlickType to be independent of voice over typing settings? I remember fleksy had a similar issue near the end, so trying to think of ways of preventing that from happening again.

Thanks again, keep up the amazing work. It’s much appreciated. :)

Rocco

Benny Barber

Yes, this is my experience as well, Kosta. Thanks.

On May 4, 2018, at 2:27 PM, FlickType <hello@flicktype.com> wrote:

Thank you Paul, based on your message, I managed to reproduce the missing sentence feedback. It seems to happen in messages but not other applications that I tried. I assume this is the same issue that Benny is experiencing. I will investigate. Thanks, Kosta

On May 4, 2018, at 12:22, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Chuck

Kosta

Chuck

Thank you Rocco.

When running as a custom keyboard, FlickType has no control over what voiceover will or won’t do, so the only way I’ve found so far to provide the solid experience that you are used to from the main app is to change the typing feedback setting. I know this is not ideal, and I’d love to understand more about how this requirement is bothersome for you. And of course my hope is that once the FlickType custom keyboard becomes more mature, you should need to rely less and less on the standard keyboard, all the way to eventually removing it from your list of keyboards and only keeping FlickType. Did you know you could actually remove the iOS keyboard from the keyboard list? You can always just add it back in case you do, and of course I don’t think it’s a viable option yet. Finally I haven’t tested much with the typing feedback set to characters, maybe that’s ok too?

Kosta

On May 4, 2018, at 12:37, Rocco Fiorentino <roccof466@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

This build is great, thank you so much! I’m curious about something though. In the previous build, build fifty four, the voice over speech issue did not exist in the keyboard extension, and it didn't matter what your typing echo was set to. Is there a way to change back to that behavior, or what changed in this build that no longer allows FlickType to be independent of voice over typing settings? I remember fleksy had a similar issue near the end, so trying to think of ways of preventing that from happening again.

Rocco

David Nason

Hi,

I have never had the memory warning issue. Though I am on iPhone X, so maybe that is the reason.

Until build 55, I did not experience the voice sounding crazy and high pitched, but an experiencing it now in build 55. I appreciate the fix, however I would be very reluctant to set typing feedback to nothing honestly, as I do still need to use the stock iOS keyboard at times and do want that feedback. So I hope you can find a better solution.

Thanks,
Dave

On 4 May 2018, at 20:49, FlickType <hello@flicktype.com> wrote:

Thank you Rocco.

When running as a custom keyboard, FlickType has no control over what voiceover will or won’t do, so the only way I’ve found so far to provide the solid experience that you are used to from the main app is to change the typing feedback setting. I know this is not ideal, and I’d love to understand more about how this requirement is bothersome for you. And of course my hope is that once the FlickType custom keyboard becomes more mature, you should need to rely less and less on the standard keyboard, all the way to eventually removing it from your list of keyboards and only keeping FlickType. Did you know you could actually remove the iOS keyboard from the keyboard list? You can always just add it back in case you do, and of course I don’t think it’s a viable option yet. Finally I haven’t tested much with the typing feedback set to characters, maybe that’s ok too?

Kosta

Hi all,

Rocco

Chuck Dean

Hi Kosta,
Can I remove the emoji keyboard's name from the selection list?
I don't want to remove the keyboard... I have some shortcuts with emoji.

Chuck

On May 4, 2018, at 12:49 PM, FlickType <hello@flicktype.com> wrote:

Thank you Rocco.

Kosta

Hi all,

Rocco

Benny Barber

I'll have to agree with David on the keyboard feedback. I need to hear what I am entering on the iOS keyboard. Think about the phone keypad as well. It is cumbersome to enter on the phone keypad without voice feedback. Thanks for your consideration.

Benny

Rocco Fiorentino

Hi Kosta,

If I only relied solely on the Flicktype keyboard for text entry, I wouldn’t mind changing the feedback settings in VoceOver. But since that’s not the case yet, I use the characters and words setting when I type without Flicktype. In build 54, the custom keyboard, outside of the app, behaved normally with voiceover still set to characters and words. What I’m trying to figure out is what changed, especially if Flicktype seems to have no control of VOiceOver while in the custom keyboard. Strange…
If you need more info from me please don’t hesitate to ask. I haven’t tried with just characters either, but that may be something to experiment with as well.

Thanks,

Rocco

On May 4, 2018, at 2:49 PM, FlickType <hello@flicktype.com> wrote:

Thank you Rocco.

Kosta

Hi all,

Rocco

Chuck Dean

Hi Kosta, please ignore this email. I removed the emoji keyboard and my shortcuts are intact.

Chuck

On May 4, 2018, at 1:32 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Kosta,
Can I remove the emoji keyboard's name from the selection list?
I don't want to remove the keyboard... I have some shortcuts with emoji.

Chuck

On May 4, 2018, at 12:49 PM, FlickType <hello@flicktype.com> wrote:

Thank you Rocco.

Kosta

Hi all,

Rocco

Benny,

With Voiceover Typing Feedback set to none in the iOS settings, you still
get individual letter feedback with touch typing when using the iOS standard
keyboard. You just won't hear a word pronounced when you press spacebar to
enter the next word.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Benny Barber
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2018 3:53 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 55

I'll have to agree with David on the keyboard feedback. I need to hear what
I am entering on the iOS keyboard. Think about the phone keypad as well. It
is cumbersome to enter on the phone keypad without voice feedback. Thanks
for your consideration.

Benny

- Fixed audio latency. Hopefully it should now feel more like the main
app, apart from the tap feedback delay. Please note: you must set VoiceOver
typing feedback to "Nothing", otherwise the announcements will be laggy and
sound like the voice has a cold and a stutter - no kidding. For some reason
the iOS announcements are lower-quality as well as delayed, and because of
the delay they almost immediately interrupt the FlickType announcements.
- You can now type your custom dictionary words, as well as some
additional built-in words. You must run the main app once after updating for
your words to carry over.
- Improved memory management. Hopefully you won't get those memory
warnings any more, fingers crossed.

Hi Kosta,

I'm enjoying build 1.1-55 and the problems I experienced with build 54 on my iPhone 7 running iOS 11.3.1 are mostly gone. Latency is still not quite as good as with the main app but seems much more responsive than the previous build. I am now getting access to all the punctuation by swiping down after a period is entered at the end of a sentence. I find that I'm getting differing results with the 3 finger swipe left depending on the app I'm using the system wide keyboard in. Isn't the 3 finger swipe left supposed to read each previous sentence as you swipe left? I get this treatment in the Notes app but do not get it with the Messages app. In the Messages app, I'm returned to the beginning of the message when doing a 3 finger swipe left even if it contains multiple sentences. The 2 finger swiping left and right reads each word as expected regardless of the app I'm in. I'm very much enjoying having access to my main app custom dictionary.

Thanks so much for your hard work and I'm looking forward to having this keyboard available system wide as it continues to get better and better.

Alan Lemly

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2018 12:32 AM
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 55

Benny Barber

Alan,

On my 5S running 11.3.1, with touch typing and typing feedback set to
nothing; as I am moving my finger aroung the iOS keyboard, I do hear the
characters I am touching. I do not hear any feedback when I lift my finger
to enter a character. Nor do I hear the word entered when spacing. I find
this a very difficult way to type. There is no guarantee that you entered
what you intended until you reread what you typed. I guess I started out
typing on the iOS keyboard years ago with the typing feedback set to letters
and words and just can't find a better way. Stuck in my old ways. Thanks.

Benny

Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2018 1:11 AM

Benny,

enter the next word.

Alan Lemly

Of Benny Barber

for your consideration.

Benny

Benny Barber

Kosta,

Comments & Observations:

Having to set the typing feedback to nothing is a tough one for me to
overcome. For me, I need the feedback of what is entered. I have been
using character and words as the typing feedback for years and without that,
it will slow down my typing on the iOS keyboard. If this is the future of
the custom keyboard, I will most likely be using the stand alone FlickType
App. I love the app and appreciate the great work that you and Ashley have
put into it, but the lack of typing feedback on the iOS keyboard is just too
difficult for me. I have tried every combination of typing feedback (along
with Standard typing & touch typing) that the iOS keyboard offers, but the
characters and words and standard typing settings is the most efficient for
me. I don't mean to complain, but I just wanted to be honest.

I guess by now it is known that the 3 finger flick right/left to move by
sentence works in the Mail App, but does not work in the Messages App
(according to some).

Also, it seems to be obvious that the typing style and typing feedback
affects the Custom Keyboard's behavior in the Mail App, but the issues of
that behavior do not seem to be there in the Messages App.

Just wanted to give you some of my thoughts. Thank you so much.

Benny

Of FlickType
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2018 12:32 AM
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 55

- Fixed audio latency. Hopefully it should now feel more like the main app,
apart from the tap feedback delay. Please note: you must set VoiceOver
- You can now type your custom dictionary words, as well as some additional
built-in words. You must run the main app once after updating for your words
to carry over.
- Improved memory management. Hopefully you won't get those memory warnings
any more, fingers crossed.

Benny,

No arguments here. You're are exactly right that with typing feedback set to none, you get no character echo nor word spoken when spacing to enter the next word. I'm not a fan of letter echo but I completely understand why you don't like having to turn off this feedback. I'm hopeful Kosta will come up with something so that this setting can be returned to what each of us prefers when the system wife keyboard is officially released.

Alan Lemly

On May 5, 2018, at 6:48 AM, Benny Barber <rebelben@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Alan,

On my 5S running 11.3.1, with touch typing and typing feedback set to
nothing; as I am moving my finger aroung the iOS keyboard, I do hear the
characters I am touching. I do not hear any feedback when I lift my finger
to enter a character. Nor do I hear the word entered when spacing. I find
this a very difficult way to type. There is no guarantee that you entered
what you intended until you reread what you typed. I guess I started out
typing on the iOS keyboard years ago with the typing feedback set to letters
and words and just can't find a better way. Stuck in my old ways. Thanks.

Benny

Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2018 1:11 AM

Benny,

enter the next word.

Alan Lemly

Of Benny Barber

for your consideration.

Benny