Topics

Build 53

This took longer than expected. Changes since the previous build:

- This is a major rewrite. Among other differences, the previous build would only change the underlying textfield when you exited the FlickType keyboard, not while you typed. FlickType will now immediately perform all edits in the current field, such as inserting, deleting or changing words. This paves the way for an optional half-screen mode in the near future.
- Reduced memory consumption to address crashing. Unfortunately iOS only allows very little active memory for keyboards compared to regular apps, and aggressively terminates any keyboard that crosses the threshold.
- You now also need to enable "Full Access" in the FlickType settings under the iOS settings app. This is for FlickType to be able to play any sound effects such as taps. The previous method of playing taps was using a private API and was likely to be rejected if submitted to the App Store. Currently, if you don't enable "Full Access" the keyboard will crash. This is a good opportunity to share our very short privacy policy: http://www.flicktype.com/privacy
- If you have some pending taps and flick left to delete, FlickType will now announce "Cleared taps" instead of deleting the previous word.
- You can now move the cursor and navigate the entire current document, not just the current sentence. This should make it more usable for writing longer pieces of text.
- Added a visual keyboard indicator for low-vision folks, in the form of 2 horizontal white bars representing the top and bottom rows.
- Introducing the FlickType "visual announcements", designed to better help low-vision and hearing-impaired folks use the product. All VoiceOver typing announcements for inserting, deleting and changing words will now also be displayed as high-contrast text using the largest possible font size that fits the entire screen above the keyboard area. This replaces the text view that was previously used for debugging.
- The gesture to dismiss the keyboard has been changed to a 3 finger flick down.

We are both really looking forward to hearing what you all think, smile!

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Forgot to add:
- You can now change tap sound and haptic feedback settings from the main app.

George Cham

I'm not sure the white area on the screen representing the top and bottom Rose is a good idea. As I said in a previous email the large letters on the screen is way too big for me anyway. I've tried using it on the iPad, works well, however when I type in the word you doesn't come out right. I would prefer the keyboard screen in build 50.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:00:34 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 53

Forgot to add:
- You can now change tap sound and haptic feedback settings from the main app.

Chuck Dean

Build 53
Hi Kosta,
I disagree with others, the two white bars that indicate where the letters should be works very well for me. Also, someone said the words on the screen are too large, but not for me. Any word over six letters is too small for me to see. This is a problem when working with the visually impaired. So many different visual acuity makes trying to make a universal display almost impossible. But since I have been relying on my ears for the last 40 years, I doubt I would use the visual anyway. But it is pretty cool.
I am not getting any punctuation options after flicking right for a period. It keeps saying space, but nothing happens.
Will full access always be necessary for the keyboard to operate normally? This will be a deal breaker for some people. I remember when Fleksy cane out with the system wide keyboard many didn't trust it to allow full access. I understand iOS won't allow third party keyboards to enter sensitive information, but some will never trust it.
That's all for now, Chuck

Chuck Dean

Build 53
Hello again, when I type a word the voice speaking the word sounds like it has a bad cold, but when I flick down for more options it sounds normal.
Chuck

Macster

Good morning guys.

Great effort on another build with multiple improvements. Here are my very early thoughts.

When typing, each word I type is announced with a pitch change, the pitch going up as I would expect it to do if I was deleting. The only time normal pitch is heard is when flicking right for a full stop then the last word of the sentence is as expected....

Unfortunately flicking right for a full stop doesn't announce full stop. It is inserted, as I noticed if I flick down then the comma, colon etc are announced and if I flick back up then full stop is heard, just not on the initial flick right.

The three fingers swipe... I really like the flick left and right to navigate sentences. This could become a very powerful tool, alongside the two fingers left and right to navigate words. And the 3 finger flick down works as expected to dismiss the keyboard. My only concern here is screen space if a half screen keyboard is implemented in future. As I'm currently using an SE, if I put 3 fingers on the screen vertically they take up very nearly half the screen. This should be ok for left and right gestures but leaves less margin for error for the 3 finger swipe down, and more so if someone uses landscape mode as default. (I use portrait) Sorry, I know I've used my flux capacitor here and identified a potential problem that doesn't exist yet or may never exist but just a thought that crossed my mind.

I like being able to change the keyboard sound as I've been using the marimba effect as standard for a while now.

Apologies I can’t comment on the visual changes.

I know it's early days, but I'm very excited at the potential of this extension and I'm looking forward to its journey through development!

Macky

Nozi <noziphokhanda@...>

Thanks for all the work you have done for this latest build. Its working well so far. I'm missing the two finger flick right for entering numbers. Any chance of that coming back?

Chuck Dean

hello, this is weird, but now I have punctuation.

I noticed the clear taps for removing partial word's.
👍

George Cham

Ok, is there a way of giving the user the option of decreasing the text size it they wish?

Kind Regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26

Get Outlook<https://aka.ms/qtex0l> for iOS
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:09:18 PM

Good morning guys.

Great effort on another build with multiple improvements. Here are my very early thoughts.

When typing, each word I type is announced with a pitch change, the pitch going up as I would expect it to do if I was deleting. The only time normal pitch is heard is when flicking right for a full stop then the last word of the sentence is as expected....

Unfortunately flicking right for a full stop doesn't announce full stop. It is inserted, as I noticed if I flick down then the comma, colon etc are announced and if I flick back up then full stop is heard, just not on the initial flick right.

The three fingers swipe... I really like the flick left and right to navigate sentences. This could become a very powerful tool, alongside the two fingers left and right to navigate words. And the 3 finger flick down works as expected to dismiss the keyboard. My only concern here is screen space if a half screen keyboard is implemented in future. As I'm currently using an SE, if I put 3 fingers on the screen vertically they take up very nearly half the screen. This should be ok for left and right gestures but leaves less margin for error for the 3 finger swipe down, and more so if someone uses landscape mode as default. (I use portrait) Sorry, I know I've used my flux capacitor here and identified a potential problem that doesn't exist yet or may never exist but just a thought that crossed my mind.

I like being able to change the keyboard sound as I've been using the marimba effect as standard for a while now.

Apologies I can’t comment on the visual changes.

I know it's early days, but I'm very excited at the potential of this extension and I'm looking forward to its journey through development!

Macky

Alex Hiironen

Hey Kosta and Ashley,

There seems to be a regression in the main app. When I first open the app, FlickType only responds to around half the screen width (I'm in landscape left so taps work on the left side of the screen only). However, if I quickly open the in-app settings then return to the keyboard, it works on the entire screen as was expected. I don't need to change anything in FlickType's settings to notice the change; simply opening and closing settings screen fixes things.

Using an iphone 8+
Thanks, and I'm truly impressed with how much progress is being made across the board!

Alex

On May 1, 2018, at 10:52 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- This is a major rewrite. Among other differences, the previous build would only change the underlying textfield when you exited the FlickType keyboard, not while you typed. FlickType will now immediately perform all edits in the current field, such as inserting, deleting or changing words. This paves the way for an optional half-screen mode in the near future.
- Reduced memory consumption to address crashing. Unfortunately iOS only allows very little active memory for keyboards compared to regular apps, and aggressively terminates any keyboard that crosses the threshold.
- You now also need to enable "Full Access" in the FlickType settings under the iOS settings app. This is for FlickType to be able to play any sound effects such as taps. The previous method of playing taps was using a private API and was likely to be rejected if submitted to the App Store. Currently, if you don't enable "Full Access" the keyboard will crash. This is a good opportunity to share our very short privacy policy: http://www.flicktype.com/privacy
- If you have some pending taps and flick left to delete, FlickType will now announce "Cleared taps" instead of deleting the previous word.
- You can now move the cursor and navigate the entire current document, not just the current sentence. This should make it more usable for writing longer pieces of text.
- Added a visual keyboard indicator for low-vision folks, in the form of 2 horizontal white bars representing the top and bottom rows.
- Introducing the FlickType "visual announcements", designed to better help low-vision and hearing-impaired folks use the product. All VoiceOver typing announcements for inserting, deleting and changing words will now also be displayed as high-contrast text using the largest possible font size that fits the entire screen above the keyboard area. This replaces the text view that was previously used for debugging.
- The gesture to dismiss the keyboard has been changed to a 3 finger flick down.

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Like Chuck, I like the presentation of the top and bottom white bars with the black bar in the middle to show keyboard location. I'm not a fan of the large font presentation of what has been typed because I'm using audio to deal with that as opposed to vision. I'm much more concerned with responsiveness and typing with this version of the system wide keyboard seems much less responsive than with the original app. I realize I'm in a minority of one but I much prefer leaving the original app in my App Switcher and quickly typing with it and automatically copying what's typed when I switch to another app to paste it. With the latest build 1.1-53, input seems slower, the announcement of the word when flicking right seems delayed and is spoken with less volume and clarity. When swiping down to get other options, the voice sounds like it always has in the original app. After swiping down with three fingers to dismiss the keyboard and then later returning to it, I no longer get the typed word spoken when flicking right. I still receive optional word feedback when swiping down but nothing is spoken with that initial flick right. When I'm typing on the FlickType keyboard, I am getting the clear taps response in the middle of typing a word and it seems to occur more often when typing letters to the left of the keyboard. Clear taps is announced right after I tap the letter without any flicking. Like Chuck, I also don't get any other punctuation options when flicking down after a period is entered.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 9:52 PM
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 53

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Chuck Dean

Hi Allen,
I am also using the app for typing as opposed to using the system wide keyboard, I find it easier.
For some reason my punctuation eventually showed up.

On May 1, 2018, at 10:41 PM, Alan Lemly <@walemly> wrote:

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Like Chuck, I like the presentation of the top and bottom white bars with the black bar in the middle to show keyboard location. I'm not a fan of the large font presentation of what has been typed because I'm using audio to deal with that as opposed to vision. I'm much more concerned with responsiveness and typing with this version of the system wide keyboard seems much less responsive than with the original app. I realize I'm in a minority of one but I much prefer leaving the original app in my App Switcher and quickly typing with it and automatically copying what's typed when I switch to another app to paste it. With the latest build 1.1-53, input seems slower, the announcement of the word when flicking right seems delayed and is spoken with less volume and clarity. When swiping down to get other options, the voice sounds like it always has in the original app. After swiping down with three fingers to dismiss the keyboard and then later returning to it, I no longer get the typed word spoken when flicking right. I still receive optional word feedback when swiping down but nothing is spoken with that initial flick right. When I'm typing on the FlickType keyboard, I am getting the clear taps response in the middle of typing a word and it seems to occur more often when typing letters to the left of the keyboard. Clear taps is announced right after I tap the letter without any flicking. Like Chuck, I also don't get any other punctuation options when flicking down after a period is entered.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 9:52 PM

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Chuck Dean

Build 53
Hi Kosta,
Now I am getting the memory warning! About every third word.
Is any one else reporting this? Ut

George Cham

I haven't seen that message, I am having trouble typing. For example I type dog swipe right then down and go through a whole heap of suggestions before the right word. Is it the way that I'm typing or is it just the gesture area of the new layout?

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:55:50 PM
To: Alpha

Build 53
Hi Kosta,

Chuck Dean

Hi George,
Yes, it seems that the keyboard is wanting more precise tapping. I noticed that words with ws are very problematic, but this may be the way I type.

I re-booted my iphone, and now I am not getting the memory warning! On the screen.
As far as the text size, I really don't pay any attention to it, so, as far as I am concerned it can be any size. Personally, I am looking forward to the half screen keyboard.
I am typing this in the FlickType app and this keyboard is also acting less forgiving.

Chuck

On May 1, 2018, at 11:22 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

I haven't seen that message, I am having trouble typing. For example I type dog swipe right then down and go through a whole heap of suggestions before the right word. Is it the way that I'm typing or is it just the gesture area of the new layout?

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Build 53
Hi Kosta,

Thank you all for the comments, it's pretty amazing to get such useful feedback and so quickly after pushing a build, smile.

It seems that the voice feedback issues are all over the place, from sounding like the phone has a cold, all the way to not sounding at all. This has been impossible to reproduce here, but you will shortly receive build 54 with a speculative fix. Please let me know if this addresses the issue.

Theres a lot more I want to cover, but it's midnight here so I need to rest. I would like to say, though, that the custom keyboard currently not being as good as the app is totally expected. In fact, getting to the point where the custom keyboard performs better than the app at least in some use cases is when we can consider releasing it to the wider beta group. I know it's still way off, and possibly still very broken for a lot of you, but hopefully that will change soon.

Please keep the comments coming!

- Kosta

George Cham

Hi , ivy gone back to build 50. But to get the correct word is still the same. However I would still prefer the previous configuration of the app With the black background . still think a dictionary is needed with the system keyboard.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26

Get Outlook<https://aka.ms/qtex0l> for iOS
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:50:31 PM

Hi George,
Yes, it seems that the keyboard is wanting more precise tapping. I noticed that words with ws are very problematic, but this may be the way I type.

I re-booted my iphone, and now I am not getting the memory warning! On the screen.
As far as the text size, I really don't pay any attention to it, so, as far as I am concerned it can be any size. Personally, I am looking forward to the half screen keyboard.
I am typing this in the FlickType app and this keyboard is also acting less forgiving.

Chuck

On May 1, 2018, at 11:22 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Build 53
Hi Kosta,

Benny Barber

I an running build fifty four. Sometimes when trying to flick through the alternative word list, the verbal response is space. Also, the verbal response kind of stutters when entering a word. Overall the custom keyboard is somewhat sluggish. Thanks so much.

On May 1, 2018, at 9:52 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Macster

Wow, that's a super quick upgrade to build 54! I'm happy to say the initial issues with build 53 regarding pitch change whilst typing and no full stop being announced are fixed and its now behaving as expected. The bad news however is that I seem to be experiencing a lot more drag when typing, ie the time between flicking right at the end of a word and hearing it announced has increased. Not to the point of it being unusable or anything, just not as crisp as it was before and noticeable in comparison with the app.

Macky

David Nason

hi.

I'm running build 54. I definitely do find the two white bars to be beneficial. Perhaps displaying the letters too would be good.

I really like the large text at the top of the screen as I type.

I am not seeing the issue with full stops not being announced as someone mentioned above.

I hope you are able to bring back the new line and manual entry soon.

Dave

On 2 May 2018, at 15:07, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

I an running build fifty four. Sometimes when trying to flick through the alternative word list, the verbal response is space. Also, the verbal response kind of stutters when entering a word. Overall the custom keyboard is somewhat sluggish. Thanks so much.

On May 1, 2018, at 9:52 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley