Topics

Build 44

Please report all your feedback by replying to this topic.

In this release:
- An iOS bug prevented us from correctly addressing the unintended invocation of the notification center. So we changed the flick up and hold menu gesture to a flick down and hold instead. Again, please let us know if this new gesture works well for you, or if you encounter any issues.
- Fixed sometimes not being able to toggle capitalization of a letter.

In the previous release:
- Flick down and hold anywhere to invoke the menu. This replaces the tap & hold gesture above the keyboard. Please let us know if this new gesture works well for you, or if you encounter any issues.
- Fixed iPhone X issue where the home and app switcher gestures were being suppressed and had to be performed twice to work.
- Fixed occasional lost feedback on tap & hold mode. Please help us confirm that the issue is now resolved.
- Added haptic feedback when invoking the menu.
- Lots of under-the-hood changes relating to touch and flick gesture recognition. Please let us know if you encounter any issues, and if they are new with this release. If you need to compare and confirm, you can always revert to a previous build from TestFlight.

Thank you for testing FlickType!

Kosta & Ashley

Chuck Dean

Build 44
Looks good. The swipe up for caps is working again.
The swipe down and hold brings up the menu and nothing else. Personally I like the two finger swipe up better.
The keyboard is stable and responsive.

I still do not hear anything when deleting partial words. I may be in the minority, but I would rather hear gibberish then nothing, at least I would have an idea where the cursor is. Otherwise, I like it!

Chuck

Edited

Thanks Chuck, noted on the partial word deletion, this will be addressed soon. - Kosta

I can confirm Chuck's findings too. The new gesture to invoke the menu works
as it should with no control center being invoked. I also prefer the old 2
finger swipe up to invoke the menu. I'm curious, why is another gesture to
invoke the menu needed? Are the plans to have two different ways to invoke
the menu and if not, which one will survive?

Thanks for all your hard work.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Chuck Dean
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 10:36 PM
To: Alpha
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 44

Build 44
The swipe down and hold brings up the menu and nothing else. Personally I
like the two finger swipe up better.

I still do not hear anything when deleting partial words. I may be in the
minority, but I would rather hear gibberish then nothing, at least I would
have an idea where the cursor is. Otherwise, I like it!

Chuck

Chuck Dean

Hi Alan,
My best guess is it has something to do with the system wide extension coming in the future. Perhaps Kosta wants us to be ready with the proper gesture.

Chuck

On Apr 20, 2018, at 10:11 PM, Alan Lemly <@walemly> wrote:

I can confirm Chuck's findings too. The new gesture to invoke the menu works
as it should with no control center being invoked. I also prefer the old 2
finger swipe up to invoke the menu. I'm curious, why is another gesture to
invoke the menu needed? Are the plans to have two different ways to invoke
the menu and if not, which one will survive?

Alan Lemly

Of Chuck Dean

Build 44
The swipe down and hold brings up the menu and nothing else. Personally I
like the two finger swipe up better.

I still do not hear anything when deleting partial words. I may be in the
minority, but I would rather hear gibberish then nothing, at least I would
have an idea where the cursor is. Otherwise, I like it!

Chuck

Macster

Hi guys,

I'm very happy to say the two problems I encountered with the previous build are now not an issue. Superb job in a short period of time again. I like the idea of announcing deletion of partial words, though as you say it might be difficult to follow depending on the accuracy or otherwise of my typing.

I genuinely think this is the best the app has ever worked, and I include the old app in that as well. And the new flick down and hold gesture works a treat. Bliss!

Chuck,

That makes perfect sense. I'm so caught up enjoying the standalone FlickType
that I keep forgetting about the third party keyboard extension and how it
can impact the gesture decisions.

Alan

Of Chuck Dean
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 12:17 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 44

Hi Alan,
My best guess is it has something to do with the system wide extension
coming in the future. Perhaps Kosta wants us to be ready with the proper
gesture.

Chuck

I can confirm Chuck's findings too. The new gesture to invoke the menu
works as it should with no control center being invoked. I also prefer
the old 2 finger swipe up to invoke the menu. I'm curious, why is
another gesture to invoke the menu needed? Are the plans to have two
different ways to invoke the menu and if not, which one will survive?

Alan Lemly

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Chuck Dean

Build 44
The swipe down and hold brings up the menu and nothing else.
Personally I like the two finger swipe up better.

I still do not hear anything when deleting partial words. I may be in
the minority, but I would rather hear gibberish then nothing, at least
I would have an idea where the cursor is. Otherwise, I like it!

Chuck

Chuck Dean

I am hoping the stand alone app will be supported after the system wide extension is implemented. I think I'd still use it, although if the system wide keyboard works as well as the app, perhaps not.

Chuck

On Apr 20, 2018, at 10:44 PM, Alan Lemly <@walemly> wrote:

Chuck,

That makes perfect sense. I'm so caught up enjoying the standalone FlickType
that I keep forgetting about the third party keyboard extension and how it
can impact the gesture decisions.

Alan

Of Chuck Dean
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 12:17 AM

Hi Alan,
My best guess is it has something to do with the system wide extension
coming in the future. Perhaps Kosta wants us to be ready with the proper
gesture.

Chuck

I can confirm Chuck's findings too. The new gesture to invoke the menu
works as it should with no control center being invoked. I also prefer
the old 2 finger swipe up to invoke the menu. I'm curious, why is
another gesture to invoke the menu needed? Are the plans to have two
different ways to invoke the menu and if not, which one will survive?

Alan Lemly

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Chuck Dean

Build 44
The swipe down and hold brings up the menu and nothing else.
Personally I like the two finger swipe up better.

I still do not hear anything when deleting partial words. I may be in
the minority, but I would rather hear gibberish then nothing, at least
I would have an idea where the cursor is. Otherwise, I like it!

Chuck

Chanelle Allen

Hello,
This is another awesome version of FlickType! Thank you, Kosta and Ashley! The new flick down and hold gesture works well and as expected. I am also curious as to why new menu gestures are being introduced. I appreciate that VoiceOver now announces what it should every time the tap and hold gesture is invoked to find letters/numbers/symbols. I am also hearing VoiceOver announce when I delete incorrectly typed characters. Maybe the more we type, the more confident we will become about what is being deleted. I am slightly embarrassed that I have not used FlickType on a regular basis since it is quicker to type short texts using braille screen input directly in the Messages or Mail app, but being a member of the alpha group has given me motivation and excitement for when FlickType becomes a keyboard.
By the way, someday, it would be so neat if we could actually type on our wrists! I think that the apple watch needs more processing power though.
Chanelle

On Apr 21, 2018, at 00:36, Macster <@Macster> wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm very happy to say the two problems I encountered with the previous build are now not an issue. Superb job in a short period of time again. I like the idea of announcing deletion of partial words, though as you say it might be difficult to follow depending on the accuracy or otherwise of my typing.

I genuinely think this is the best the app has ever worked, and I include the old app in that as well. And the new flick down and hold gesture works a treat. Bliss!

Confirming that build 44 just went out to beta.

With regards to the new menu gesture, the idea is that whatever becomes the main gesture to invoke the menu in the standalone FlickType app, is also going to be the gesture to dismiss the keyboard once it's available inside every app. We really want to make this as easy as possible, since the keyboard will be fullscreen, so that you can easily dismiss it if you need to interact with the app you're in, and then quickly resume typing by double tapping on the application's textfield again.

Warmly,
Kosta

Ed Worrell

Hello,

Will there be an option to make the keyboard fit inside the standard keyboard section when it becomes an extension? I would love to see this as an option.

Thanks,
Ed

On Apr 21, 2018, at 5:00 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Confirming that build 44 just went out to beta.

With regards to the new menu gesture, the idea is that whatever becomes the main gesture to invoke the menu in the standalone FlickType app, is also going to be the gesture to dismiss the keyboard once it's available inside every app. We really want to make this as easy as possible, since the keyboard will be fullscreen, so that you can easily dismiss it if you need to interact with the app you're in, and then quickly resume typing by double tapping on the application's textfield again.

Warmly,
Kosta

George Cham

Hi costa,
I'm finding with latest build, when I try to bring up the menu using 2 fingers, the screen goes black, and as I said to you off list, I have to position the phone in order to stop the screen from going black.

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26

Get Outlook<https://aka.ms/qtex0l> for iOS

George,

You aren't by chance covering the proximity sensor when you do your 2 finger swipe up, are you? Covering the proximity sensor works the same as holding the phone to your ear to have your input read and I've also noticed that it will cause the screen to go black which makes sense with the holding the phone to your ear. You might experiment a bit with this and see if that's what's happening.

Alan Lemly

On Apr 22, 2018, at 1:26 AM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Hi costa,
I'm finding with latest build, when I try to bring up the menu using 2 fingers, the screen goes black, and as I said to you off list, I have to position the phone in order to stop the screen from going black.

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’

Paul Sutton

Hi, everything working at the moment. I find that the single swipe down to invoke the menu is great as I enjoy using only 1 hand to hold and type, but maybe that's just me being lazy, lol. Keep up the good work, Paul.

Paul Sutton

Hi, I have a suggestion but I don't know if it could be implemented. The thing is, sometimes I want to use FlickType in a noisy environment but it wouldn't be appropriate for me to use headphones. However, when I go near to my phone so I can here what I am typing I sometimes go to near my phone and accidently activate the raise to reed feature. And obviously this prevents me from typing. At the same time however it's necessary to quickly listen back to what I have typed. My suggestion would be to have some sort of gesture to use to enable me to have VoiceOver reed to me what I have written without having the need to have the raise to reed feature switched on or have to invoke the main menu and then having to swipe down to the bottom to go back. Hope that made sense, Paul

George Cham

Hi, no im not .

As I have limited use of my left hand, touching the screen, was an easy option.

However, flicking up from the bottom of the screen, seems to be working.

Kind regards,

George Cham

Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2018 10:08:31 PM

George,

You aren't by chance covering the proximity sensor when you do your 2 finger swipe up, are you? Covering the proximity sensor works the same as holding the phone to your ear to have your input read and I've also noticed that it will cause the screen to go black which makes sense with the holding the phone to your ear. You might experiment a bit with this and see if that's what's happening.

Alan Lemly

Hi costa,

Kind regards,

George Cham

George Cham

It will be interesting to see how the flick up with two fingers, will work when the keyboard becomes system wide.

Kind regards,

George Cham

Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 5:57:53 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io; alpha@flicktype.groups.io

Hi, no im not .

As I have limited use of my left hand, touching the screen, was an easy option.

However, flicking up from the bottom of the screen, seems to be working.

Kind regards,

George Cham

Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2018 10:08:31 PM

George,

Alan Lemly

Hi costa,

Kind regards,

George Cham

Hi Ed, we will consider that as an option in the future. We are first going to investigate how feasible it is to have the full screen size be the core way of using it.
- Kosta

Thank you Paul, we are indeed thinking of adding a gesture that will perform the read back function without having to move your device to your ear.
- Kosta