Topics

Build 42

Please report all your feedback by replying to this topic. Thank you for testing FlickType!

In this release:
- Flick up and hold anywhere to invoke the menu. This replaces the tap & hold gesture above the keyboard. Please let us know if this new gesture works well for you, or if you encounter any issues.
- Fixed iPhone X issue where the home and app switcher gestures were being suppressed and had to be performed twice to work.
- Fixed occasional lost feedback on tap & hold mode. Please confirm if the issue is now resolved.
- Added haptic feedback when invoking the menu.
- Lots of under-the-hood changes relating to touch and flick gesture recognition. Please let us know if you encounter any issues, and if they are new with this release. If you need to compare and confirm, you can always revert to a previous build from TestFlight.

Thank you for testing FlickType!

Kosta & Ashley

Hi List,

I did some quick typing on this build and could find no issues. I do have one minor thing I noticed with build 41 that continues with build 42. Say you're manually entering a word like mp3 which ends in a number. After swiping right to get the word announced, attempting to flick up to get it added to the dictionary doesn't work. Instead, what happens is that the 3 is changed to a 4 and what was mp3 becomes mp4. This result is identical whether the 3 is entered with the separate number screen or with the topline popup number item. I'm sure this is something of which Kosta and Ashley are aware and it's very minor because how many words end in a number. Anyway, I just wanted to put it on the record.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 1:59 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 42

Please report all your feedback by replying to this topic. Thank you for testing FlickType!

In this release:
- Flick up and hold anywhere to invoke the menu. This replaces the tap & hold gesture above the keyboard. Please let us know if this new gesture works well for you, or if you encounter any issues.
- Fixed iPhone X issue where the home and app switcher gestures were being suppressed and had to be performed twice to work.
- Fixed occasional lost feedback on tap & hold mode. Please confirm if the issue is now resolved.
- Lots of under-the-hood changes relating to touch and flick gesture recognition. Please let us know if you encounter any issues, and if they are new with this release. If you need to compare and confirm, you can always revert to a previous build from TestFlight.

Kosta & Ashley

Macster

Hi guys,

I have been testing build 42 and have noticed two problems...

The first is if you use the new flick up and hold gesture and begin flicking too close to the bottom of the screen, it somehow manages to bring up a combination of the menu and the control menu. Trying to use the home button doesn't seem to work to disregard the control center, even a triple click which should, in my set up, turn VoiceOver off doesn't work. Touching the top right of the screen after a few seconds was the only way I could get out of this culdesac. I've no idea if this would be possible, but in the area above the punctuation and numbers etc where we used to press and hold to bring up the menu, could the flick up and hold gesture be used only in that area to avoid the double activation of accidentally getting both if starting the initial flick too close to the home button? It works no problem if so.

And the other issue I've noticed is I can't capitalize a letter using the single flick up after manually typing now. For example, I was typing to my sister regarding my nephew mark. If I press the letter m alone, then flick up and I'd expect to hear capital m, but there is no announcement. I then type the rest of his name and flick right but only ark is entered. Its as if the flick up disregards the initial press of the letter m. Could this be because the swipe up is ”expecting” the hold of the new gesture for the menu? This can be reproduced with any word you type with a capital at the start, and you'll get a word one letter shorter than the desired word. I hope this is an easy fix?

Other than this, the actual typing is extremely slick and the rate at which you guys are sending out the updates is incredible and has not gone unnoticed.

Many thanks,

Alan

MariaRosa Chapman

HI. the flick up is working for me no matter where I do it from, but I also am unable to get a letter to be capital.

Everything else is working very well.

Maria

On 20 Apr 2018, at 6:19 pm, Macster <@Macster> wrote:

Hi guys,

The first is if you use the new flick up and hold gesture and begin flicking too close to the bottom of the screen, it somehow manages to bring up a combination of the menu and the control menu. Trying to use the home button doesn't seem to work to disregard the control center, even a triple click which should, in my set up, turn VoiceOver off doesn't work. Touching the top right of the screen after a few seconds was the only way I could get out of this culdesac. I've no idea if this would be possible, but in the area above the punctuation and numbers etc where we used to press and hold to bring up the menu, could the flick up and hold gesture be used only in that area to avoid the double activation of accidentally getting both if starting the initial flick too close to the home button? It works no problem if so.

And the other issue I've noticed is I can't capitalize a letter using the single flick up after manually typing now. For example, I was typing to my sister regarding my nephew mark. If I press the letter m alone, then flick up and I'd expect to hear capital m, but there is no announcement. I then type the rest of his name and flick right but only ark is entered. Its as if the flick up disregards the initial press of the letter m. Could this be because the swipe up is ”expecting” the hold of the new gesture for the menu? This can be reproduced with any word you type with a capital at the start, and you'll get a word one letter shorter than the desired word. I hope this is an easy fix?

Other than this, the actual typing is extremely slick and the rate at which you guys are sending out the updates is incredible and has not gone unnoticed.

Many thanks,

Alan

Chanelle Allen

Hello,
This FlickType build is great! So far, the new flick up and hold menu gesture works well. I will keep playing with it though. I can reproduce the problem of attempting to add MP3 to the dictionary. Flicking up results in the three increasing to four, and flicking down goes to two. However, it is not very often that I would be using MP3 in my writing.
I think that the new gesture to capitalize a letter is a one finger flick down while a one finger flick up is still used to add a word to the user dictionary.
Chanelle

On Apr 20, 2018, at 04:43, Maria and Joe Chapman <bubbygirl1972@...> wrote:

HI. the flick up is working for me no matter where I do it from, but I also am unable to get a letter to be capital.

Maria

Hi guys,

Many thanks,

Alan

Macster

Well spotted! I didn't realize the single finger swipe down was to capitalize a letter now, please disregard my previous post about this costa and Ashley.

Paul Sutton

Hi, after testing build 42, I just wanted to confirm what other's have been saying. The slide and hold gesture does indeed bring up the control Centre which I would like to add is incredibly difficult to dismiss. cheers, Paul

Chuck Dean

I have found that if the slide and hold gesture brings of the control panel, if you tap on the control panel, and then press the home button. The control panel disappears, and the Fliktype menu is underneath. This is working very well on my iPhone ate. I hope this works for everyone else.

Chuck

On Apr 20, 2018, at 7:31 AM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:

Hi, after testing build 42, I just wanted to confirm what other's have been saying. The slide and hold gesture does indeed bring up the control Centre which I would like to add is incredibly difficult to dismiss. cheers, Paul

Alex Hiironen

Hey all,

So far this release is solid for me. The new flick up and hold gesture is working great without accidentally triggering anything odd. I'm in landscape left orientation, so that negates any control center activation, thankfully.

Best of all, holding on letters is fixed!

Thanks for all the amazing work!

Alex

On Apr 20, 2018, at 2:58 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

In this release:

Kosta & Ashley

Hi List,

It was late when I first replied to the build 42 thread and mentioned the problem of adding words like mp3 to the dictionary. I did not even notice that a new gesture of single finger swipe up and hold to access the menu had been introduced. I've now tested that on my iPhone 7 running iOS 11.3 and can confirm that sometimes the single finger swipe up and hold will launch the control center. This seems to happen the closer to the bottom of the screen my finger is when I swipe up. For example, if I rest my finger on the home button and then single finger swipe up the screen and hold, the control center comes up every time. It does not seem to happen when I swipe up from a starting position about a half inch or higher above the home button. The menu pops up correctly each of those times. I will add that if the control center does pop up, the scrub gesture closes it and returns me to the FlickType menu every time.

Also, I'm noticing that when I access the menu using the new single finger swipe up and hold gesture, what I've typed is read twice by Voiceover but is only read once when accessing the menu using the original 2 finger swipe up gesture.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chanelle Allen
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 8:31 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 42

Hello,
This FlickType build is great! So far, the new flick up and hold menu gesture works well. I will keep playing with it though. I can reproduce the problem of attempting to add MP3 to the dictionary. Flicking up results in the three increasing to four, and flicking down goes to two. However, it is not very often that I would be using MP3 in my writing.
I think that the new gesture to capitalize a letter is a one finger flick down while a one finger flick up is still used to add a word to the user dictionary.
Chanelle

On Apr 20, 2018, at 04:43, Maria and Joe Chapman <bubbygirl1972@...> wrote:

Maria

Hi guys,

And the other issue I've noticed is I can't capitalize a letter using the single flick up after manually typing now. For example, I was typing to my sister regarding my nephew mark. If I press the letter m alone, then flick up and I'd expect to hear capital m, but there is no announcement. I then type the rest of his name and flick right but only ark is entered. Its as if the flick up disregards the initial press of the letter m. Could this be because the swipe up is expecting the hold of the new gesture for the menu? This can be reproduced with any word you type with a capital at the start, and you'll get a word one letter shorter than the desired word. I hope this is an easy fix?

Many thanks,

Alan

Santiago

The latest Alpha Version 42 seems to be working for me as well, although sometimes when I flick up and hold, my iPhone launches the control center, so I reverted back to using the two finger flick up gesture to open the menu.

Santiago

On Apr 20, 2018, at 2:43 AM, Maria and Joe Chapman <bubbygirl1972@...> wrote:

Maria

Hi guys,

Many thanks,

Alan

Chuck Dean

Hello Santiago,
When I do the flick up and hold from the bottom gesture, I start in the middle of the screen flick up about an inch and then hold. It does not bring up the control panel if you stay in the middle of the screen, and works every time.
I have also reverted back to the two finger swipe up, because are usually used to finger double tap to bring up the export text panel so it just seems natural to me.

Chuck

On Apr 20, 2018, at 3:49 AM, Santiago <santiago.blue.hernandez@...> wrote:

The latest Alpha Version 42 seems to be working for me as well, although sometimes when I flick up and hold, my iPhone launches the control center, so I reverted back to using the two finger flick up gesture to open the menu.

Santiago
On Apr 20, 2018, at 2:43 AM, Maria and Joe Chapman <bubbygirl1972@...> wrote:

Maria

Hi guys,

Many thanks,

Alan