Topics

Build 34 is out to alpha

Build 34 has been sent out to the alpha group. There is no intrinsic difference between alpha and beta builds, and as such, the only difference will be whether a build was sent to the alpha or the wider beta group. Also, please make sure to read the changelog on TestFlight for each new build that you receive. Ideally, we won't be repeating it here, but we will be including it when posting a release message to the beta group.

Whenever we send out a build to the alpha group you will see a new topic here such as this one, which is aimed towards gathering all feedback for that build in one place. You may post new topics for things that are not specific to a particular build, but we ask that all build-specific feedback stays under that build's topic so that we can better manage it.

Whenever an alpha build is deemed ready for release to the beta group, we will post a message here as a note. It will again fall under that build's topic.

If for whatever reason you are not seeing the expected build on TestFlight, please reply to the topic and we will make sure you are part of the alpha group on TestFlight.

Hope this clarifies things a bit, and please bear with us while we figure this process out together. Happy to hear any ideas you may have on this as well.

And as always, thank you for testing!

Warmly,
Kosta

Andrew McKay

Hello,

A few things about this build.

- The keyboard seems very low on an Iphone X. When running voiceOver and swiping up from the bottom, one does not get the normal haptic feedback no matter how low your swipe is when you swipe up to tell you if you are activating the home or app switcher.

- Something that I saw reported in the beta group but still is present in this build, swiping right seems to many times now add another character instead of being interpreted as the expected swipe right to indicated an end of a word or the like. Once again being seen on an Iphone X.

HTH,
Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2018 7:59 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [alpha] Build 34 is out to alpha

Build 34 has been sent out to the alpha group. There is no intrinsic difference between alpha and beta builds, and as such, the only difference will be whether a build was sent to the alpha or the wider beta group. Also, please make sure to read the changelog on TestFlight for each new build that you receive. Ideally, we won't be repeating it here, but we will be including it when posting a release message to the beta group.

Whenever we send out a build to the alpha group you will see a new topic here such as this one, which is aimed towards gathering all feedback for that build in one place. You may post new topics for things that are not specific to a particular build, but we ask that all build-specific feedback stays under that build's topic so that we can better manage it.

Whenever an alpha build is deemed ready for release to the beta group, we will post a message here as a note. It will again fall under that build's topic.

If for whatever reason you are not seeing the expected build on TestFlight, please reply to the topic and we will make sure you are part of the alpha group on TestFlight.

Hope this clarifies things a bit, and please bear with us while we figure this process out together. Happy to hear any ideas you may have on this as well.

Warmly,
Kosta

Ed Worrell

Hello,

I am not seeing the alpha build 34.

Thanks,

Ed

On Apr 9, 2018, at 7:50 PM, Andrew McKay <awmckay@...> wrote:

Hello,

- The keyboard seems very low on an Iphone X. When running voiceOver and swiping up from the bottom, one does not get the normal haptic feedback no matter how low your swipe is when you swipe up to tell you if you are activating the home or app switcher.

- Something that I saw reported in the beta group but still is present in this build, swiping right seems to many times now add another character instead of being interpreted as the expected swipe right to indicated an end of a word or the like. Once again being seen on an Iphone X.

HTH,
Andrew

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> On Behalf Of FlickType

Warmly,
Kosta

I don't know if this is a build 34 issue or not since it has happened to me with other builds but with the copy and clear on exit turned on, I just had two texts where I could not for the life of me get a paste option to come up in the text field. Of course, when I returned to FlickType, the text had indeed been cleared so I had to compose my text again. This is very irritating but has happened on a couple of other occasions with other builds.

Ivy not noticed anything else to report regarding this build.

Alan Lemly

On Apr 9, 2018, at 6:58 PM, FlickType <alpha+owner@flicktype.groups.io> wrote:

Warmly,
Kosta

Hi Alpha List,

I don't think this is due to anything I'm doing differently, but I'm noticing that when I swipe down with two fingers to insert a blank line with this build, that the flicking sound and action isn't nearly as crisp as previously. In fact, it seems that I hear a double tap sound as if I put my two fingers on the screen at different times. I'm sure I'm not doing the 2-finger flick motion any differently than previously but the results just seem different with this build.

Alan Lemly

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2018 6:59 PM

Warmly,
Kosta

Rocco Fiorentino

Hi,

Could you please switch my email for the alpha testing to rocco@...? When I tried to accept using this gmail address, it told me to “contact the developer” to change it.

Thanks so much,
Rocco

On Apr 9, 2018, at 8:56 PM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Ed

Hello,

HTH,
Andrew

Warmly,
Kosta

George Cham

Hi, I also received a test flight invitation with my Hotmail account, i accepted it with my Gmail account earlier. Can the developers tell me what’s going on and what I need to do please.

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26

Get Outlook<https://aka.ms/qtex0l> for iOS
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 4:06:26 PM
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 34 is out to alpha

Hi,

Could you please switch my email for the alpha testing to rocco@...? When I tried to accept using this gmail address, it told me to “contact the developer” to change it.

Thanks so much,
Rocco
On Apr 9, 2018, at 8:56 PM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Ed

Hello,

HTH,
Andrew

Warmly,
Kosta

Hi Rocco and George,

TestFlight invites can go out to any email, and you then accept them using your Apple ID on TestFlight. The email that was used to receive the invite does not matter. As long as you are receiving builds, you should be good and not need to change anything on that front.

Regarding this group, if you want to unsubscribe and resubscribe using another email, you can do the following:

Subscribe: alpha+subscribe@flicktype.groups.io
Unsubscribe: alpha+unsubscribe@flicktype.groups.io

Note that you will want to send the unsubscribe from the email that you are currently subscribed with, and the subscribe one from the one you want to be subscribed with moving forward.

Hope this helps, and please refrain from posting non-feedback under build topics.

Thank you again for testing!
- Kosta

Thank you, Andrew.

On the keyboard being low on an iPhone X: there seems to be an iOS bug where any view utilizing Direct Touch will consume touches when VoiceOver is on and interfere with the home and app switching gestures. We have not yet found a workaround, and haptic feedback as you say is not provided. The actual keyboard placement, however, should be roughly where the standard keyboard is, so hopefully it does not affect typing accuracy. You can confirm the placement by examining the position of the bottom row keys, eg z x c v, by doing a tap and hold gesture.

On swiping right adding characters instead of the end of a word: the current flick recognizer is far from perfect and this may sometimes happen in all directions, as well as when using 2 fingers for a new line, to switch layouts or to invoke the menu. Please do let us know though if this seems to be considerably worse than in previous builds.

- Kosta

Alan,

On the copy & clear function losing your text, we have not heard of this before but I will take a look. Sounds very frustrating, sorry about that.

On the double tap sounds for a new line: I believe this to be a matter of perception, since with build 32 and 34 the tap sounds may be considerably louder than before on some devices. In all builds, 1 and 2 finger flicks will first trigger the tap sound since this is triggered on touch down before the system can know if your gesture is going to be a tap or a flick. This is done to reduce delay when needing to play the tap sounds. Note that the same thing should be true for the 2 finger flick up gesture to invoke the menu, but you may be performing that gesture slightly differently and the timing of the 2 touch down events might be too close to distinguish as 2 taps, although you should still hear one tap right before the menu pops up. If you can, please let us know whether previous builds did not have the issue or if it was just a matter of the tap sounds being quieter and therefore the issue was less noticeable.

Thanks,
- Kosta

Unless there is an issue you can confirm was introduced between build 32 and 34, we are planning to release build 34 to beta tomorrow morning, Wednesday, California time.

Thank you for testing!
Kosta

Andrew McKay

Kosta,

With regard to the swipe right gesture--Not sure its any worse than the previous build so probably no reason to say this build is worse. I will say that from around build 30 )I can't be 100% it was that build as I wasn't paying that close attention to build numbers before getting more involved), it did seem to get worse.

With regard to the home gesture on an iPhone X--that would be a definitely frustrating IOS bug if it carried over to every app once you get to an integrated third party keyboard as it is really hard to gage your gestures without the haptic feedback. DO you think it would reverberate across apps in those circumstances? You mention how low the keyboard is on an iPhone X, I do think there is some weird behavior in which the z, x, and c characters extend all the way to the bottom of the screen to the left of the spacebar.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:21 AM

Thank you, Andrew.

On the keyboard being low on an iPhone X: there seems to be an iOS bug where any view utilizing Direct Touch will consume touches when VoiceOver is on and interfere with the home and app switching gestures. We have not yet found a workaround, and haptic feedback as you say is not provided. The actual keyboard placement, however, should be roughly where the standard keyboard is, so hopefully it does not affect typing accuracy. You can confirm the placement by examining the position of the bottom row keys, eg z x c v, by doing a tap and hold gesture.

On swiping right adding characters instead of the end of a word: the current flick recognizer is far from perfect and this may sometimes happen in all directions, as well as when using 2 fingers for a new line, to switch layouts or to invoke the menu. Please do let us know though if this seems to be considerably worse than in previous builds.

- Kosta

Kosta,

Thanks for the additional info.

The copy and clear setting and my losing text has only happened a couple of times across different builds so I expect it was either operator error on my part or something related to iOS and not the FlickType build.

On the 2-finger swipe down for a new line sounds, it might be just a matter of perception as you suggest because I reinstalled builds 0.1-32, 0.1-31, and 0.1-30 and did note that I still heard a double tap sound when swiping down. I will say with those builds, when I spread my 2 fingers further apart before swiping, I did not hear the double tap sound but I still hear it in build 0.1-34 regardless of how I position my 2 fingers. At any rate, it's not a big deal.

Thanks again for your reply.

Alan

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:30 AM

Alan,

On the copy & clear function losing your text, we have not heard of this before but I will take a look. Sounds very frustrating, sorry about that.

On the double tap sounds for a new line: I believe this to be a matter of perception, since with build 32 and 34 the tap sounds may be considerably louder than before on some devices. In all builds, 1 and 2 finger flicks will first trigger the tap sound since this is triggered on touch down before the system can know if your gesture is going to be a tap or a flick. This is done to reduce delay when needing to play the tap sounds. Note that the same thing should be true for the 2 finger flick up gesture to invoke the menu, but you may be performing that gesture slightly differently and the timing of the 2 touch down events might be too close to distinguish as 2 taps, although you should still hear one tap right before the menu pops up. If you can, please let us know whether previous builds did not have the issue or if it was just a matter of the tap sounds being quieter and therefore the issue was less noticeable.

Thanks,
- Kosta