Topics

Build 223

Dear FlickType friends,

This is a major internal update, which includes a complete re-write of the word correction engine which occurred over the last several weeks. The two primary goals of this effort are:

1. To dramatically bring down our memory usage, to avoid the keyboard getting killed by the strict memory limits on the iPhone and Apple Watch. This happened too frequently with earlier versions, and because the keyboard is quickly restarted by the operating system, you might not realize it has crashed but it will instead exhibit other, unpredictable behavior.

2. To improve accuracy over time. Even though in this version we are only aiming for parity with earlier versions, the new code allows us to more easily make progress towards this goal in the near future. Some people might feel that accuracy is already good enough for them, but this does not hold for everyone's way of typing. With the new structure, we should also be able to eventually correct for missing taps on longer words, as well as common word misspellings.

This build is expected to have plenty of issues given the number of changes that have gone in without extensive user testing. If you find it unusable for any reason, please revert to either an earlier beta build or the current App Store version.

As always, thank you for testing,
Kosta

George Cham

Hi Krista,
I installed the latest build a FlickType on the iPad, when composing a message or a note there is a large black area just above the keyboard. I am in standard keyboard mode under settings

Kind Regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io on behalf of FlickType <hello@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:04 pm
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 223

Dear FlickType friends,

This is a major internal update, which includes a complete re-write of the word correction engine which occurred over the last several weeks. The two primary goals of this effort are:

1. To dramatically bring down our memory usage, to avoid the keyboard getting killed by the strict memory limits on the iPhone and Apple Watch. This happened too frequently with earlier versions, and because the keyboard is quickly restarted by the operating system, you might not realize it has crashed but it will instead exhibit other, unpredictable behavior.

2. To improve accuracy over time. Even though in this version we are only aiming for parity with earlier versions, the new code allows us to more easily make progress towards this goal in the near future. Some people might feel that accuracy is already good enough for them, but this does not hold for everyone's way of typing. With the new structure, we should also be able to eventually correct for missing taps on longer words, as well as common word misspellings.

This build is expected to have plenty of issues given the number of changes that have gone in without extensive user testing. If you find it unusable for any reason, please revert to either an earlier beta build or the current App Store version.

As always, thank you for testing,
Kosta

Thank you George, is this different from the version you had before?

George Cham

Yes.
This does hut not happen on I phone

Kind Regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io on behalf of FlickType <hello@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:28 pm
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 223

Chuck Dean

Hi George,

Are your visual announcements turned on? I noticed, after I updated, that my visual announcements were turned on which I had turned off, for some reason but I like it on now.
 This was on my iPhone 8.  

Chuck  (mobile)
Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

On Feb 11, 2019, at 11:28 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

George Cham

Hi chuck,.
Visual announcements are off.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi George,

Are your visual announcements turned on? I noticed, after I updated, that my visual announcements were turned on which I had turned off, for some reason but I like it on now.
 This was on my iPhone 8.  

Chuck  (mobile)

Chuck Dean

Hi George,

I updated my iPad 2 and I also have a large black area above the keyboard.

I also notice that the visual announcements are much larger, even my sad old eyes have no problem seeing even 7 or 8 letter words.😎 

Chuck (mobile)
Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin airors. 

On Feb 11, 2019, at 11:37 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Hi chuck,.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Hi George,

This was on my iPhone 8.  

Chuck  (mobile)

George Cham

hi Chuck, the continuing problem that I’m having with FlickType is  
When I type a word, and I flick down   fast for the next suggestion the keyboard will disappear.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi George,

I updated my iPad 2 and I also have a large black area above the keyboard.

I also notice that the visual announcements are much larger, even my sad old eyes have no problem seeing even 7 or 8 letter words.😎 

Chuck (mobile)
Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin airors. 

On Feb 11, 2019, at 11:37 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Hi chuck,.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Hi George,

This was on my iPhone 8.  

Chuck  (mobile)