Topics

Build 208

David Nason

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Can I ask, why have you removed the minimal size keyboard option? Disappointing if it's permanent.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

We would love to figure out a way to accommodate your preference. 

We removed the minimal size keyboard option because it was used by less than 10% of our users and we want to streamline aspects of the app. Having more settings often makes it much harder for us to test and maintain smooth operation of all possible configurations of the app, which grow exponentially with each added option. Additionally, having more settings can often make the experience for new users feel too complicated.

Please tell us more about what you liked in the minimal size. Is it the ability to have more space for the app above? Or the lack of visual announcements? And what device are you currently using?

Thank you,
- Kosta

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:28 PM David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Can I ask, why have you removed the minimal size keyboard option? Disappointing if it's permanent.

Thanks,
Dave

Michael Maslo

Hello Kosta,

I was using the minimum keyboard but I can use the standard size. The only thing I personally care about is being able to hit the send button on email or text messages. 

Sincerely,

Michael maslo

On Oct 29, 2018, at 20:01, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

We removed the minimal size keyboard option because it was used by less than 10% of our users and we want to streamline aspects of the app. Having more settings often makes it much harder for us to test and maintain smooth operation of all possible configurations of the app, which grow exponentially with each added option. Additionally, having more settings can often make the experience for new users feel too complicated.

Please tell us more about what you liked in the minimal size. Is it the ability to have more space for the app above? Or the lack of visual announcements? And what device are you currently using?

Thank you,
- Kosta

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Thanks,
Dave

Thank you for the feedback, Michael.

Let's continue the conversation in the beta group where build 208 was released, so that everyone can benefit from the exchange.

Warmly,
Kosta

Chuck Dean

Hello Kosta,
I was using the minimal keyboard up until a couple of weeks ago, but I was having problems with tapping above the keyboard, so I went to the ½ screen keyboard which is working fine.

This new build is working well on both my iPhone and Apple watch.👍 

Chuck (mobile)
Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

On Oct 29, 2018, at 6:17 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

Hello Kosta,

I was using the minimum keyboard but I can use the standard size. The only thing I personally care about is being able to hit the send button on email or text messages. 

Sincerely,

Michael maslo

Hi Dave,

Thank you,
- Kosta

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Thanks,
Dave

David Nason

Hi,

Yes, basically it was just to see more of the app above the keyboard. Especially in messaging apps, it just felt like a good fit.
I will see how I get on with the new size.

I'm using iPhone X.

Dave

On 30 Oct 2018, at 01:23, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello Kosta,
I was using the minimal keyboard up until a couple of weeks ago, but I was having problems with tapping above the keyboard, so I went to the ½ screen keyboard which is working fine.

This new build is working well on both my iPhone and Apple watch.👍 

Chuck (mobile)
Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

On Oct 29, 2018, at 6:17 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

Hello Kosta,

Sincerely,

Michael maslo

Hi Dave,

Thank you,
- Kosta

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Thanks,
Dave

Thank you Chuck.

Dave, please keep us updated on how the new size feels over the next few days.

Thank you,
Kosta

Ed Worrell

I too an disappointed to see the minimal keyboard size go away. The half screen keyboard seems like I an stretching to far to tap in the proper spots.. I am getting way to many stupid errors with this size of keyboard of which it makes it kind of pointless to use now...

Please find a compromise. With the phones getting bigger and bigger this becomes more of a chore to type. The smaller keyboard really helps out. I also feel like I an stretching way to far to find the post, send and any other buttons I might have to use, and I really dislike the full screen option.

Thanks,

E d

On Oct 29, 2018, at 10:03 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

Dave, please keep us updated on how the new size feels over the next few days.

Thank you,
Kosta

Hi Dave, Ed,

Hope you guys are well! We wanted to check in regarding the half-screen keyboard size and how it's working for you?

Thanks!
Ashley

Ed Worrell

Hey Kosta and Ashley,

It's going ok. I guess. I really am not in love with the half screen option. Its almost impossible for me to find the send button without typing unwanted characters.

On the plus side the keyboard is feeling really snappy the last few builds. The watch app is fantastic!👍🏻

Thanks,

E Ed

On Nov 16, 2018, at 12:42 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi Dave, Ed,

Hope you guys are well! We wanted to check in regarding the half-screen keyboard size and how it's working for you?

Thanks!
Ashley

David Nason

Hi Kosta & Ashley,

I can live with it, but I did prefer the slightly smaller one.
Basically, after typing my message, I have to reach up further to get to the app above the keyboard, which can be awkward. Even when you do that, you often have to swipe left or right to get to where you want, such as the send button. Those swipes generally have to be performed inside that top section, as if my thumb ventures down over the FlickType keyboard, I accidentally enter characters or punctuation.

I use the black colour option for maximum contrast between the keyboard and the app. I've noticed that even when I switch visual announcements off, the bar above the qwerty row remains on screen. If that could be removed it would help my typing, and also achieve my desire for the keyboard footprint to be smaller.
Would that be possible as a compromise?

PS Is there any progress on fixing the issue in Mail with FlickType inserting an unwanted space after the first letter if you manually type the first word on a new line? It's very annoying, especially because I would often start an email with a two or three letter word like Hi or Hey, which FlickType tends to struggle with if tap typed.

PPS I am also seeing the issue with dictionary words that should be capitalised losing their capital letter. I can't figure out any particular pattern to it though... odd.

Many thanks,
Dave

On 17 Nov 2018, at 04:16, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hey Kosta and Ashley,

It's going ok. I guess. I really am not in love with the half screen option. Its almost impossible for me to find the send button without typing unwanted characters.

On the plus side the keyboard is feeling really snappy the last few builds. The watch app is fantastic!👍🏻

Thanks,

E Ed
On Nov 16, 2018, at 12:42 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi Dave, Ed,

Thanks!
Ashley

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. And yes, what you're proposing with removing the bar above the keyboard when the visual announcements are turned off makes sense and something we'd be happy to do. For the mail app, Kosta has attempted a fix for this but had lots of trouble due to some super funky behavior on Apple's side. You bring up a great point that this is more common than we thought since FlickType doesn't do so great with commonly used smaller words like hi or hey. Kosta is going to take another pass at it and will keep us all posted on how it goes.

For the dictionary capitalization, is it when you manually type a word at the beginning of the sentence? Is this a common occurrence? We put lots of thought into how to deal with capitalization at the beginning of the sentence and felt storing the word with a lowercase letter would be correct more often than keeping the capital letter as we do if it is typed in the middle of a sentence.

Warmly,
Ashley

David Nason

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the update, and that's great.

Regarding the capital letters, I fully agree with and understand your approach. But somewhere along the line it has broken down for me.
Names and acrinims for example that I have typed in the middle of sentences, are now in lower case. Well some of them anyway.
Best plan though is probably for me to delete them all and start over. I can then look for a pattern of behaviour, if indeed it does even happen again.

Dave

On 19 Nov 2018, at 23:38, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. And yes, what you're proposing with removing the bar above the keyboard when the visual announcements are turned off makes sense and something we'd be happy to do. For the mail app, Kosta has attempted a fix for this but had lots of trouble due to some super funky behavior on Apple's side. You bring up a great point that this is more common than we thought since FlickType doesn't do so great with commonly used smaller words like hi or hey. Kosta is going to take another pass at it and will keep us all posted on how it goes.

For the dictionary capitalization, is it when you manually type a word at the beginning of the sentence? Is this a common occurrence? We put lots of thought into how to deal with capitalization at the beginning of the sentence and felt storing the word with a lowercase letter would be correct more often than keeping the capital letter as we do if it is typed in the middle of a sentence.

Warmly,
Ashley