Topics

Build 201

David Nason

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Firstly, may I apologise for being AWOL for the past several weeks, it's been a busy time and I fell a bit behind, though I have been using the keyboard constantly.
I'm all caught up now anyway☺️

I use the keyboard exclusively in minimal size mode, and wanted to report some bugs I've been experiencing.
Some of these date back a while and have been reported before.

- Doesn't consistently read apostrophe in word suggestions.

- Inserts space between first and second letter if you manually type the first word of a new line in Mail.

- The fixes to spacing between emoji characters was not brought across to the minimal size keyboard.

- Deleting text with a left swipe often does not tell you the word being deleted, instead saying something like "bottom of document" or “beginning of document”.

- Still inserting a space if you type a word, swipe right to confirm it, then type a quotation mark.

- Very eratic typing behaviour when typing in some text fields on the web, including on applevis for example.

- FlickType keyboard will sometimes pop up in secure text fields and cannot be dismissed / changed. For example I've seen this when needing to type a pin code into my banking app, and the Apple Store app. I had to temporarily delete FlickType to get around it.

- Wrong character sometimes announced when manual typing.

I have not yet tried the Watch app, but will do so over the coming days.

Many thanks,
Dave

Ed Worrell

Hey Kosta,

I have been running my iPhone in what I am calling silent mode. No VoiceOver sounds other than the Voice. No alert sounds and so on. I have been really annoyed with the act of manually typing with FlickType. I wish there was a setting to have haptic feedback only whilst typing in manual mode. I really find the click sounds really jarring as I don’t have any sounds on my phone playing. Would it be possible to add a no sound option that only has haptic feedback, or make the manual typing mode respect the sound settings of the FlickType app.

Thanks,

Ed Worrell

On Oct 20, 2018, at 9:43 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Firstly, may I apologise for being AWOL for the past several weeks, it's been a busy time and I fell a bit behind, though I have been using the keyboard constantly.
I'm all caught up now anyway☺️

I use the keyboard exclusively in minimal size mode, and wanted to report some bugs I've been experiencing.
Some of these date back a while and have been reported before.

- Doesn't consistently read apostrophe in word suggestions.
- Inserts space between first and second letter if you manually type the first word of a new line in Mail.
- The fixes to spacing between emoji characters was not brought across to the minimal size keyboard.
- Deleting text with a left swipe often does not tell you the word being deleted, instead saying something like "bottom of document" or “beginning of document”.
- Still inserting a space if you type a word, swipe right to confirm it, then type a quotation mark.
- Very eratic typing behaviour when typing in some text fields on the web, including on applevis for example.
- FlickType keyboard will sometimes pop up in secure text fields and cannot be dismissed / changed. For example I've seen this when needing to type a pin code into my banking app, and the Apple Store app. I had to temporarily delete FlickType to get around it.
- Wrong character sometimes announced when manual typing.

I have not yet tried the Watch app, but will do so over the coming days.

Many thanks,
Dave

Hi David,

Nice to hear from you and no worries at all that you've been busy. We hope all has been well with you!

Thanks for circling over with this feedback. We're going to assume it's all issues you've experienced in minimal mode, which is helpful since we get very little feedback on that mode. We are aware that some of these issues are not minimal mode specific, and appreciate you bringing them back up. For the issue with finance apps, this is an Apple issue, but Kosta thinks he may be able to find a workaround so FT doesn't pop up at all.

For the manual typing issue when a space is added between the first and second character, do you get this behavior when you type the entire word manually?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Warmly,
Ashley

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the feedback. Kosta has added this request to his manual typing list of fixes, it's totally doable and a great idea to add haptic in this situation.

Cheers!
Ashley

Chuck Dean

Hi Ashley, as far as financial apps, I think having FlickType yield to the ios keyboard is the way to go.
Most of these apps require little typing and some of the information that is input may be sensitive.

Just my opinion, 

Chuck (mobile)
Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

On Oct 22, 2018, at 11:21 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Hi David,

Nice to hear from you and no worries at all that you've been busy. We hope all has been well with you!

Thanks for circling over with this feedback. We're going to assume it's all issues you've experienced in minimal mode, which is helpful since we get very little feedback on that mode. We are aware that some of these issues are not minimal mode specific, and appreciate you bringing them back up. For the issue with finance apps, this is an Apple issue, but Kosta thinks he may be able to find a workaround so FT doesn't pop up at all.

For the manual typing issue when a space is added between the first and second character, do you get this behavior when you type the entire word manually?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Warmly,
Ashley

Ed Worrell

I too am seeing some weird behavior in the minimal keyboard layout.

I am seeing FlickType deleting text from a field, and when trying too save the text it reinserts the text that was deleted or it doesn’t add the corrected text to the proper field. This happens most frequently in the Phone application whilst editing names or phone numbers.

I am seeing some really weird things happen on websites such as signing into Twitter. If I use FlickType to enter the user name/email FlickType will insert a space between every letter if I manually type an email or user name. This is just on the sign in form at the front end of the Twitter.com website. Once in the app or website FlickType behaves and works properly.

I also am seeing the issue where FlickType is no longer announcing the single quote. It also is no longer announcing it when a word has a plural option or a contracted word. Such as Won’t. VoiceOver reads it as wont, the word it’s read as it’s. The single quote is ignored and this makes it very annoying and time consuming to use the minimal keyboard as you have to check if it is using the proper punctuation almost every time.

Thanks,

Ed Worrell   

On Oct 22, 2018, at 12:24 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the feedback. Kosta has added this request to his manual typing list of fixes, it's totally doable and a great idea to add haptic in this situation.

Cheers!
Ashley

David Nason

Thanks Ashley,

Yes, when typing in the Mail app, if you type the first word of a new line manually, after you swipe right to confirm the word, you discover that an unwanted space has Ben inserted.

So if I were to type "Ashley" manually at the start of a line. As I type the letters, all seems well. But when I swipe right to complete the word, VoiceOver will say "shley", and navigating back, I will discover that what has been typed is "A shley".

Thanks,
Dave

On 22 Oct 2018, at 19:49, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

I too am seeing some weird behavior in the minimal keyboard layout.

I am seeing FlickType deleting text from a field, and when trying too save the text it reinserts the text that was deleted or it doesn’t add the corrected text to the proper field. This happens most frequently in the Phone application whilst editing names or phone numbers.

I am seeing some really weird things happen on websites such as signing into Twitter. If I use FlickType to enter the user name/email FlickType will insert a space between every letter if I manually type an email or user name. This is just on the sign in form at the front end of the Twitter.com website. Once in the app or website FlickType behaves and works properly.

I also am seeing the issue where FlickType is no longer announcing the single quote. It also is no longer announcing it when a word has a plural option or a contracted word. Such as Won’t. VoiceOver reads it as wont, the word it’s read as it’s. The single quote is ignored and this makes it very annoying and time consuming to use the minimal keyboard as you have to check if it is using the proper punctuation almost every time.

Thanks,

Ed Worrell   
On Oct 22, 2018, at 12:24 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Hi Ed,

Cheers!
Ashley

Thanks, David! NOw have had someone else report the same. Kosta will look into it as soon as he gets the chance, he's currently working on a couple of the other issues you reported.

Thanks again!
Ashley

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 12:45 PM, David Nason wrote:

So if I were to type "Ashley" manually at the start of a line. As I type the
letters, all seems well. But when I swipe right to complete the word,
VoiceOver will say "shley", and navigating back, I will discover that what has
been typed is "A shley".

David Nason

Coolio, thanks Ashley.

On 25 Oct 2018, at 22:01, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thanks, David! NOw have had someone else report the same. Kosta will look into it as soon as he gets the chance, he's currently working on a couple of the other issues you reported.

Thanks again!
Ashley

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 12:45 PM, David Nason wrote:

So if I were to type "Ashley" manually at the start of a line. As I type the
letters, all seems well. But when I swipe right to complete the word,
VoiceOver will say "shley", and navigating back, I will discover that what has
been typed is "A shley".