Topics

Build 172

- Added a yearly subscription option. The Upgrade screen has also been redesigned and now supports Dynamic Type, which we aim to support in the rest of the container app in the future.
- Changes to the Welcome screen content.

George Cham

Hi costa,
I'm not seeing build 172 in TestFlight.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

Sent: Friday, September 21, 2018 5:35 pm
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 172

- Added a yearly subscription option. The Upgrade screen has also been redesigned and now supports Dynamic Type, which we aim to support in the rest of the container app in the future.

Seems like the build is waiting to be approved for beta testing by Apple first. Should be available soon, I will send another email when it's out.
- Kosta

Macster

Hi Kosta,

I'm delighted to say I've been using the minimal keyboard with iOS 12 on my SE and it works incredibly smoothly. Sometimes I manage to get the drawing screen up by mistake when double tapping with two fingers for capitals etc, but I think that's just me having one finger slightly above the keyboard.

Quick question re build 172 - if I go into the container app and change it to a yearly subscription, will that actually change it to a yearly subscription or is it a test at this stage and yearly subscriptions won't go live until the option is in the app store version? I suspect the latter but just thought I'd check. I'll go for the yearly one when appropriate, or the life one if there was one😀👍

Slainte,

Macky

On 21 Sep 2018, at 16:41, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Seems like the build is waiting to be approved for beta testing by Apple first. Should be available soon, I will send another email when it's out.
- Kosta

George Cham

Hi costa,
Will the one year subscription carry across all devices?
E. G. I phone and I pad?  

Kind Regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Get Outlook for iOS

Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2018 7:57 am
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 172

Hi Kosta,

I'm delighted to say I've been using the minimal keyboard with iOS 12 on my SE and it works incredibly smoothly. Sometimes I manage to get the drawing screen up by mistake when double tapping with two fingers for capitals etc, but I think that's just me having one finger slightly above the keyboard.

Quick question re build 172 - if I go into the container app and change it to a yearly subscription, will that actually change it to a yearly subscription or is it a test at this stage and yearly subscriptions won't go live until the option is in the app store version? I suspect the latter but just thought I'd check. I'll go for the yearly one when appropriate, or the life one if there was one😀👍

Slainte,

Macky
> On 21 Sep 2018, at 16:41, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> Seems like the build is waiting to be approved for beta testing by Apple first. Should be available soon, I will send another email when it's out.
> - Kosta
>
>
>

Thank you Macky and George.

As with all builds released through TestFlight, there are no real-money transactions that can occur. In fact, if you try to subscribe while running a TestFlight build you will get a prompt like the following:

"Beta testers aren't charged for this In-App purchase, and it will only be available during testing."

So you will have to wait until this version is released on the App Store, and then actually download it from the App Store, if you want to purchase the yearly subscription. We will really appreciate it if you do ☺️

Regarding running a single subscription on multiple devices, yes this is definitely possible.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.
- Kosta

George Cham

Hi costa,. Yes that answers my question.
However one more thing.
When the subscription option becomes available in the appstore,
And I purchase the one  year option.
Will that affect testflight versions when I get them?

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2018 2:36 pm

As with all builds released through TestFlight, there are no real-money transactions that can occur. In fact, if you try to subscribe while running a TestFlight build you will get a prompt like the following:

"Beta testers aren't charged for this In-App purchase, and it will only be available during testing."

So you will have to wait until this version is released on the App Store, and then actually download it from the App Store, if you want to purchase the yearly subscription. We will really appreciate it if you do ☺️

Regarding running a single subscription on multiple devices, yes this is definitely possible.

- Kosta

Benny Barber

I have had an issue doing a search in youtube.com. After entering the search item and tapping search, the FlickType keyboard locks up. This happens almost every time I do a search in youtube.com. This started in version 171. Thanks
Benny

On Sep 21, 2018, at 2:35 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Macster

Hi Kosta,

The only difference I'm noticing is the container app seems to take much longer to load than before. I can't say whether that's since build 172 or since I upgraded to iOS 12 though. Not a problem really as I rarely go into the app itself now, but just thought I would let you know. Using iOS 12 on iPhone SE.

Macky

On 22 Sep 2018, at 05:36, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Kosta

Hi George,

Builds that have been downloaded from TestFlight will always appear to be subscribed and offer full functionality, whether you have subscribed or not from an App Store build. So you can download the 3.1 version from the App Store when it's out, subscribe, and then continue to receive TestFlight builds.

- Kosta

Hi Benny, and thanks for the report. I couldn't reproduce the issue, and have a few questions:

- What iOS version are you currently on?
- What keyboard size are you using?
- Is this on the YouTube website, or the app? I assume the former, but wanted to double check.
- Have you restarted your device?
- Have you tried installing a build earlier than 171? There's a chance that the issue only coincidentally started occurring with build 171 for you, due to other changes such as an iOS update.

Thanks,
Kosta

Thank you Macky.

I was aware that some of the internal changes would cause the container app to be a bit slower to load, but I didn't notice a meaningful difference on an iPhone 6S, so it's useful to know about your experience. Approximately how long is the load time for you on the iPhone SE, and does this only happen when you haven't used the app for a while, or is it literally every time you go back to it even if you only left it for a minute?

Thanks,
- Kosta

Benny Barber

Hello Kosta,

I am running iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone 5S.
I am using the full screen keyboard.
The issue occurred on the YouTube website.
I have restarted my device.
I have not reinstalled a build earlier than 171. I can do that.

Thanks.

Benny

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
Of FlickType
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2018 3:47 PM

Hi Benny, and thanks for the report. I couldn't reproduce the issue, and
have a few questions:

- What iOS version are you currently on?
- What keyboard size are you using?
- Is this on the YouTube website, or the app? I assume the former, but
wanted to double check.
- Have you restarted your device?
- Have you tried installing a build earlier than 171? There's a chance that
the issue only coincidentally started occurring with build 171 for you, due
to other changes such as an iOS update.

Thanks,
Kosta

Macster

Hi Kosta.

I've timed the load time at 25 seconds. This is regardless of how long I leave it, close and reopen, reset my phone etc. Everything works as expected once loaded though so it's not a major issue.

Good spot re dictation Chuck. I hadn't thought of trying that. Careful though, in my brief testing of using dictation and flicktype together, I've had the dreaded disappearing text issue. Not every time, but I haven't played with it enough yet to see if there is a pattern.

Slainte,

Macky

On 22 Sep 2018, at 21:50, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Macky.

I was aware that some of the internal changes would cause the container app to be a bit slower to load, but I didn't notice a meaningful difference on an iPhone 6S, so it's useful to know about your experience. Approximately how long is the load time for you on the iPhone SE, and does this only happen when you haven't used the app for a while, or is it literally every time you go back to it even if you only left it for a minute?

Thanks,
- Kosta

Thank you Macky,

That is a very long load time. How does that compare to previous builds, if you can recall?

- Kosta

Thank you Benny,

Here's a few more things you can try to help us pinpoint the issue, in no particular order:
- Try an earlier build as you said.
- Send us a screen recording of the issue while it happens.
- Upgrade to iOS 12 and see if that helps. Unless you have a specific reason to not upgrade, we highly recommend doing so. It seems like a solid iOS release, including the accessibility features, and can even improve the performance of your device. We recommend all our users upgrade to iOS 12.

- Kosta

Macster

I never actually timed the other load times, but I would say a fairly normal couple of seconds, maybe 5 seconds Max. I can go back down a build or two and give them a go if you like, though as I said I went from iOS 11.4.1 to iOS 12 in that period too.

Macky

On 22 Sep 2018, at 22:40, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Macky,

That is a very long load time. How does that compare to previous builds, if you can recall?

- Kosta

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#2053): https://flicktype.groups.io/g/alpha/message/2053
Unfollow This Thread: https://groups.io/unft/25840099/911963
Group Owner: alpha+owner@flicktype.groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://flicktype.groups.io/g/alpha/leave/defanged [@Macster]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Thank you Makcy. It would be awesome if you could try a couple of older or much older builds, so that way we would narrow it down to either iOS or FlickType.
- Kosta

Macster

Hi kosta,

I went back and tested the load time of each of these builds - 170, 151, 130, and 110. Sadly, for each one the loading time is 25 seconds, though I did get an error message on the older two after the 25 seconds had passed. I turned my phone off and on again between each build test. They definitely didn't take that long to load at the time when they were the newest build, all of which I would have been using on various versions of iOS 11 of course.

Macky

On 22 Sep 2018, at 23:14, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Makcy. It would be awesome if you could try a couple of older or much older builds, so that way we would narrow it down to either iOS or FlickType.
- Kosta

Seems like it's iOS 12 then, good to know. Thank you Macky!

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 4:30 PM Macster via Groups.Io <alan.macdonald1=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi kosta,

I went back and tested the load time of each of these builds - 170, 151, 130, and 110. Sadly, for each one the loading time is 25 seconds, though I did get an error message on the older two after the 25 seconds had passed. I turned my phone off and on again between each build test. They definitely didn't take that long to load at the time when they were the newest build, all of which I would have been using on various versions of iOS 11 of course.

Macky
> On 22 Sep 2018, at 23:14, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you Makcy. It would be awesome if you could try a couple of older or much older builds, so that way we would narrow it down to either iOS or FlickType.
> - Kosta
>
>
>