Topics

Build 154

We've been working hard to bring you the much desired half-screen mode. In this very experimental build, we have added a new "Keyboard Height" setting with the following options:
- "Full screen", which is the default mode FlickType has always operated in.
- "Almost full screen", which is 80% of the height and intended solely as a WhatsApp workaround (previously called "Reduced height").
- "Half screen", which is exactly half the height of the screen.

The new "Half screen" option will also cause all text edits to be directly committed to the underlying text field in real-time. This also means that some voice announcements and sound effects from iOS itself will interfere with the intended FlickType feedback. You will also have to play around with the iOS typing feedback settings and see what works best for you. We'd love to hear back your findings.

Known issues with the half screen mode:
- If you move the app cursor inside a word, FlickType will crash. Only move the cursor by whole words to prevents this.
- When deleting the very last word of the document, iOS will announce "Bottom of document", suppressing the FlickType deletion announcement. A workaround is to always have a word or punctuation mark after your cursor while you compose your text. The same sometimes happens when changing a word.
- Other occasional crashes.

Please let us know your experience with this, and any information you share about what worked for you and what didn't will be extremely valuable moving forward.

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

PS: We'd love some feedback on our new homepage if you have a minute: https://www.flicktype.com

Ed Worrell

Hello ,

I have the flicktype height set to half screen and I can not interact with the upper half of the screen. It keeps crashing in all text fields. Voiceover acts like FlickType is in full screen mode.

This email was finished with the default iOS keyboard.

Ed
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 18, 2018, at 4:17 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

We've been working hard to bring you the much desired half-screen mode. In this very experimental build, we have added a new "Keyboard Height" setting with the following options:
- "Almost full screen", which is 80% of the height and intended solely as a WhatsApp workaround (previously called "Reduced height").

The new "Half screen" option will also cause all text edits to be directly committed to the underlying text field in real-time. This also means that some voice announcements and sound effects from iOS itself will interfere with the intended FlickType feedback. You will also have to play around with the iOS typing feedback settings and see what works best for you. We'd love to hear back your findings.

- If you move the app cursor inside a word, FlickType will crash. Only move the cursor by whole words to prevents this.
- When deleting the very last word of the document, iOS will announce "Bottom of document", suppressing the FlickType deletion announcement. A workaround is to always have a word or punctuation mark after your cursor while you compose your text. The same sometimes happens when changing a word.

Please let us know your experience with this, and any information you share about what worked for you and what didn't will be extremely valuable moving forward.

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

PS: We'd love some feedback on our new homepage if you have a minute: https://www.flicktype.com

David Nason

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

Thanks for continuing to work on this.
I am seeing some odd behaviors though, which has straight away made me have to give up on using the half screen mode.

The cursor position is jumping all over the place. Half way through a sentence it'll just move to another place in the document, which of course I only discover when I finish typing and go to review what I've written.

When flicking right twice, I was not consistently getting the punctuation, with VoiceOver instead sometimes saying "space".

Keyboard sometimes randomly dismissing itself.

Also for the record, though not as important obviously, is that my preference would be for the "half screen" to be the size of the regular iOS keyboard, rather than literally half the screen.

Dave

On 18 Aug 2018, at 23:33, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello ,

I have the flicktype height set to half screen and I can not interact with the upper half of the screen. It keeps crashing in all text fields. Voiceover acts like FlickType is in full screen mode.

This email was finished with the default iOS keyboard.

Ed
Sent from my iPhone

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Chuck Dean

Hello kosta ,
I am using the ½ screen keyboard . This is great!
Other than a few glitches such as a weird voice , and an occasional crash or unwanted change to the iOS keyboard, I can live with this. I have tried text messages , emails, notes, and a journal entry. All worked well. 😎

I just noticed when I put in the new line it also put in a J for some unknown reason . But even with all its short comings , I would have no problems using this keyboard as is!

Keep up the good work !

Chuck (mobile) Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

George Cham

I'm using the half screen keyboard.
I can now use the send button in email and messages and also edit text with the keyboard up on the screen👍..

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2018 8:50 am
To: Alpha
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 154

Hello kosta ,
I am using the ½ screen keyboard . This is great!
Other than a few glitches such as a weird voice , and an occasional crash or unwanted change to the iOS keyboard, I can live with this. I have tried text messages , emails, notes, and a journal entry. All worked well. 😎

I just noticed when I put in the new line it also put in a J for some unknown reason . But even with all its short comings , I would have no problems using this keyboard as is!

Keep up the good work !

Chuck (mobile) Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

Ed Worrell

Hello,

I to have given up on the half screen option. There is some really weird behavior going on here.

1. The cursor jumps around.
2. FlickType keeps crashing after a single sentence is typed. It seems to crash after I try to make the space gesture to the right.
3. Interaction with the upper section of the screen is not consistent. FlickType acts like its still in full screen mode.
4. With deleting, assuming the keyboard doesn't crash. VoiceOver says end of document. I still feel that I would prefer the keyboard to be the same height as the default keyboard.

This is my experience so far...

Ed

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Thank you all for the feedback so far.

- There seem to be inconsistent reports, where it's mostly working for Chuck and George, but not for David and Ed. I would recommend restarting your device if you haven't done so, and seeing if that helps.

- The actual height is trivial to change, and can certainly be made to match the default keyboard height in a future update. I suspect that some people will still want it to be larger than that, so we'll probably have a few height options to choose from.

- As mentioned in the changelog, when deleting the very last word of the document iOS will announce "Bottom of document", suppressing the FlickType deletion announcement. A manual workaround is to always have a word or punctuation mark after your cursor while you compose your text. The same thing sometimes happens when changing a word by flicking up or down, although it seemed much more rare in my testing. It's possible that I can actually automate the workaround and always have a trailing space after the cursor to prevent this in the future, which might not be perfect but will still beat hearing "Bottom of document" all the time.

As a reminder, please also experiment with the various iOS typing feedback settings and see if they make a difference for you. Finally, it's still a very experimental build, so there's gonna be a lot of crashes for sure 💥

David Nason

So it appears myself and Ed are seeing similar results, while Chuck and George have had better success so far.
I am on iOS 12 beta 8, on an iPhone X, in case that is relevant.

Dave

On 19 Aug 2018, at 00:00, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

I to have given up on the half screen option. There is some really weird behavior going on here.

2. FlickType keeps crashing after a single sentence is typed. It seems to crash after I try to make the space gesture to the right.
3. Interaction with the upper section of the screen is not consistent. FlickType acts like its still in full screen mode.
4. With deleting, assuming the keyboard doesn't crash. VoiceOver says end of document. I still feel that I would prefer the keyboard to be the same height as the default keyboard.

Ed

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Chuck Dean

Hi Kosta ,
I realize this is a rough version of the ½ screen keyboard , but I would suggest a gesture to toggle between the ½ screen and full screen keyboards, so once you interact with the various fields you could go to the full screen keyboard for the bulk of the text.
With the folk screen keyboard I wouldn't accidentally move the cursor and I would have the larger text to read .

Chuck

Thank you David. If you could all please let us know what iOS version and device you are using, we might find a pattern with this. Note that this build has not been tested on iOS 12.

Chuck, a gesture to toggle is definitely essential. If and when the major problems are nailed down, I'll add that back just like the last time we were experimenting with the half screen mode. The reason I didn't add it this time is because switching between the two modes is in itself something that can cause issues, so I'd like to first isolate the half screen mode on its own.

- Kosta

Chuck Dean

Btw I am fine with this size keyboard .

On Aug 18, 2018, at 4:13 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta ,
I realize this is a rough version of the ½ screen keyboard , but I would suggest a gesture to toggle between the ½ screen and full screen keyboards, so once you interact with the various fields you could go to the full screen keyboard for the bulk of the text.
With the folk screen keyboard I wouldn't accidentally move the cursor and I would have the larger text to read .

Chuck

George Cham

Hi costa
I'm running iOS 11 .4.. 1

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2018 9:19 am
To: Alpha
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 154

Btw I am fine with this size keyboard .

> On Aug 18, 2018, at 4:13 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Kosta ,
> I realize this is a rough version of the ½ screen keyboard , but I would suggest a gesture to toggle between the ½ screen and full screen keyboards, so once you interact with the various fields you could go to the full screen keyboard for the bulk of the text.
> With the folk screen keyboard I wouldn't accidentally move the cursor and I would have the larger text to read .
>
> Chuck

Chuck Dean

I have an iPhone 8 running iOS 11.4.1

On Aug 18, 2018, at 4:19 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you David. If you could all please let us know what iOS version and device you are using, we might find a pattern with this. Note that this build has not been tested on iOS 12.

Chuck, a gesture to toggle is definitely essential. If and when the major problems are nailed down, I'll add that back just like the last time we were experimenting with the half screen mode. The reason I didn't add it this time is because switching between the two modes is in itself something that can cause issues, so I'd like to first isolate the half screen mode on its own.

- Kosta

Chuck is somehow blessed with good luck and is smooth sailing already, haha.

I should also mention that as a workaround for the lack of gesture, you could flip the device to landscape where it will always be fullscreen and the visual announcements will be a little larger, although not by much. But if you keep your device in locked orientation then this would be impractical.

- Kosta

Thank you George. Would you say you've used it extensively? For example, a dozen or so sessions? And for anyone who got it working well, please keep using it as much as you can so we can better assess where we stand and what the priority fixes are.

If Ed also reports he's using iOS 12, I'd be inclined to say that iOS 12 is what causes the weird behavior mentioned above.

- Kosta

Ed Worrell

I too am using ios 12 beta 8. I think this might be playing with the results. ☺️

Thanks,
Ed

On Aug 18, 2018, at 5:14 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

So it appears myself and Ed are seeing similar results, while Chuck and George have had better success so far.
I am on iOS 12 beta 8, on an iPhone X, in case that is relevant.

Dave
On 19 Aug 2018, at 00:00, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

Ed

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Chuck Dean

I notice I am having some difficulties moving the cursor and deleting words .
The voice feedback isn't consistent and I am not always sure about what I just did . I have been using FlickType under my CCTV to see what is happening, so that may be my edge.

Aug 18, 2018, at 4:23 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Chuck is somehow blessed with good luck and is smooth sailing already, haha.

I should also mention that as a workaround for the lack of gesture, you could flip the device to landscape where it will always be fullscreen and the visual announcements will be a little larger, although not by much. But if you keep your device in locked orientation then this would be impractical.

- Kosta

Thank you Ed. I'll try my best to address iOS 12 issues, but given that it's still in beta and therefore a moving target, as well as the half screen mode being the biggest challenge we've ever attempted to tackle, it might take a while before things are stable with iOS 12.

- Kosta

Thank you Chuck. It might take a few hours or days of usage for the most common issues to reveal themselves as straightforward patterns, but some issues might also be immediately apparent. As soon as you can get more specific, I will try to reproduce any scenarios that you share with us.

- Kosta

Ed Worrell

Hey kosta,.. Its all good. I am ok with this as the full screen option is still working perfect. Half screen mode will work in the future and it will be great I'm sure of it 👍🏻

Thanks,

Ed

On Aug 18, 2018, at 5:33 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Ed. I'll try my best to address iOS 12 issues, but given that it's still in beta and therefore a moving target, as well as the half screen mode being the biggest challenge we've ever attempted to tackle, it might take a while before things are stable with iOS 12.

- Kosta