Topics

Build 149

- You can now use your existing iOS text replacement shortcuts with FlickType. If you tap-type the shortcut, it will automatically be expanded into its phrase. If you type it accurately by touch-typing each letter, you'll need to flick down to expand it. You can configure text replacements shortcuts from the Settings app, under General, Keyboard, Text Replacement. To work with FlickType, a replacement shortcut must only consist of letters, whereas its expanded phrase can be anything, including numbers, symbols, spaces and even emoji. Be creative, smile!

Please note: the replacements don't work inside the container app due to iOS limitations.

Chuck Dean

Hello Kosta,
Thank you for the text replacements. They are working well. I use them a lot to enter well used phrases like
😎 Cool Beans! 👍 .
Chuck

Benny Barber

Yes, text replacements is a great new feature. Thanks much.
Benny

On Aug 7, 2018, at 1:47 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- You can now use your existing iOS text replacement shortcuts with FlickType. If you tap-type the shortcut, it will automatically be expanded into its phrase. If you type it accurately by touch-typing each letter, you'll need to flick down to expand it. You can configure text replacements shortcuts from the Settings app, under General, Keyboard, Text Replacement. To work with FlickType, a replacement shortcut must only consist of letters, whereas its expanded phrase can be anything, including numbers, symbols, spaces and even emoji. Be creative, smile!

Please note: the replacements don't work inside the container app due to iOS limitations.

Macster

Hi Kosta,

Excellent job on the text replacement feature, it works a treat, especially for my email address and my mobile phone number. I can see me adding a few emojis this way too, a nice way to expand the ten already available 👍

I have a small suggestion for another feature. This is nowhere near a priority but could prove to be useful. In the dictionary section of the container app, would it be possible to add the letters of the alphabet as headings to enable quicker access to the words in the dictionary? I've got over a thousand and its only going to grow as time goes on. Also, when reading each word in the dictionary, could it spell them out after a second or two as it does whilst typing? I was going through and checking which proper nouns needed capitalisation etc. There are far bigger things to consider first but if it's possible these would be helpful in future.

Looking forward to seeing what's next for FlickType 😀

Macky

On 7 Aug 2018, at 07:47, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

George Cham

Hi Costa, I have got the hang of the text replacement feature, but if I type the word thanks TX and swipe right nothing happens.
If I type the word GC would stand for the first and last letters of my name. It works, where am I going wrong since it always wants to start with a capital

Kind Regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Macster via Groups.Io <alan.macdonald1@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:08:40 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 149

Hi Kosta,

Excellent job on the text replacement feature, it works a treat, especially for my email address and my mobile phone number. I can see me adding a few emojis this way too, a nice way to expand the ten already available 👍

I have a small suggestion for another feature. This is nowhere near a priority but could prove to be useful. In the dictionary section of the container app, would it be possible to add the letters of the alphabet as headings to enable quicker access to the words in the dictionary? I've got over a thousand and its only going to grow as time goes on. Also, when reading each word in the dictionary, could it spell them out after a second or two as it does whilst typing? I was going through and checking which proper nouns needed capitalisation etc. There are far bigger things to consider first but if it's possible these would be helpful in future.

Looking forward to seeing what's next for FlickType 😀

Macky
> On 7 Aug 2018, at 07:47, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> - You can now use your existing iOS text replacement shortcuts with FlickType. If you tap-type the shortcut, it will automatically be expanded into its phrase. If you type it accurately by touch-typing each letter, you'll need to flick down to expand it. You can configure text replacements shortcuts from the Settings app, under General, Keyboard, Text Replacement. To work with FlickType, a replacement shortcut must only consist of letters, whereas its expanded phrase can be anything, including numbers, symbols, spaces and even emoji. Be creative, smile!
>
> Please note: the replacements don't work inside the container app due to iOS limitations.
>
>
>

Hi George,

Are you touch-typing or tap-typing those shortcuts? If you touch-type, then you will also have to flick down to expand a shortcut. If you tap-type, the first suggestion after you space will generally be the expanded phrase, although if another regular word happened to be very close to what you typed you might get that instead and you would need to flick down for the expanded phrase of the shortcut word.

Also, I'm not sure I got what you mean about capitalization. The expanded phrase of a shortcut should be capitalized just like regular words, so at the beginning of a sentence or if you manually invoked shift before typing the shortcut. Does it not work that way for you?

- Kosta