Topics

Build 133

Another experimental build, based on some of the earlier feedback.

- Added a 3-finger flick up and down gesture to switch between fullscreen and standard size modes. Standard size is the same size as the iOS keyboard, and only supports touch typing. The idea is that you would use the standard size mode instead of dismissing the keyboard entirely, and potentially resume fullscreen typing with a 3-finger flick up. The keyboard will commit all changes to the underlying textfield upon entering standard size mode. The keyboard will always default to fullscreen mode when popping up.

Please keep the ideas and thoughts coming, smile!

Chuck Dean

So far, I like the idea. A couple of bugs.
I couldn't delete while in the half screen mode.
I am having the same problem with messages, repeated text and those less than and greater than symbols.

I'd like to see the ability to move the cursor between fields by flicking. But I like the concept.👍

Chuck

On Jul 6, 2018, at 11:57 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Added a 3-finger flick up and down gesture to switch between fullscreen and standard size modes. Standard size is the same size as the iOS keyboard, and only supports touch typing. The idea is that you would use the standard size mode instead of dismissing the keyboard entirely, and potentially resume fullscreen typing with a 3-finger flick up. The keyboard will commit all changes to the underlying textfield upon entering standard size mode. The keyboard will always default to fullscreen mode when popping up.

George Cham

I’m having the same problem, in  deleteing  a  word however I also am in the habit of flicking  right when in  half screen mode thinking that it will automatically put a space. I would like to see  ability  of flicktyping in half screen mode as Wellers full screen mode

Kind Regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 5:03:40 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 133

I am having the same problem with messages, repeated text and those less than and greater than symbols.

I'd like to see the ability to move the cursor between fields by flicking. But I like the concept.👍

Chuck

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 11:57 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> Another experimental build, based on some of the earlier feedback.
>
> - Added a 3-finger flick up and down gesture to switch between fullscreen and standard size modes. Standard size is the same size as the iOS keyboard, and only supports touch typing. The idea is that you would use the standard size mode instead of dismissing the keyboard entirely, and potentially resume fullscreen typing with a 3-finger flick up. The keyboard will commit all changes to the underlying textfield upon entering standard size mode. The keyboard will always default to fullscreen mode when popping up.
>
> Please keep the ideas and thoughts coming, smile!
>
>
>

David Nason

I like that it's smaller now, but aside from that it doesn't really achieve anything for me I'm afraid. 
 With it just supporting touch typing, I may as well be switching to the standard iOS keyboard. 
 Navigation around the app above the keyboard does seem a little better, but until I can combine this with tap typing on a half screen FlickType, it's hard to really say. 
 An issue to be aware of. I keep the spacebar row hidden in settings, and as a result have no space or delete key. With gestures not working in the half screen mode, I cannot space or delete unless I change that setting. 

Dave 

On 7 Jul 2018, at 08:13, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

I’m having the same problem, in  deleteing  a  word however I also am in the habit of flicking  right when in  half screen mode thinking that it will automatically put a space. I would like to see  ability  of flicktyping in half screen mode as Wellers full screen mode

Kind Regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 5:03:40 PM

Chuck

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 11:57 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> Another experimental build, based on some of the earlier feedback.
>
> - Added a 3-finger flick up and down gesture to switch between fullscreen and standard size modes. Standard size is the same size as the iOS keyboard, and only supports touch typing. The idea is that you would use the standard size mode instead of dismissing the keyboard entirely, and potentially resume fullscreen typing with a 3-finger flick up. The keyboard will commit all changes to the underlying textfield upon entering standard size mode. The keyboard will always default to fullscreen mode when popping up.
>
> Please keep the ideas and thoughts coming, smile!
>
>
>

Serina Gilbert

I would also like to see the half screen mode have the same ability as the full screen mode. I personally would like to see the text typed displayed smaller in the half screen version as well. 

Benny Barber

Ok, I'm trying to buy into the latest version. Sometimes the 3 finger gesture does not always work. I have to do it multiple times to get it to work. Sometimes in the full screen, I will start to do the 3 finger flick down and VoiceOver will say space.
Their doesn't seem to be adequate notification if you have changed from full or standard screen. With limited vision, sometimes I don't know which screen I'm in. The inconsistency of the 3 finger flick up and down contributes to this.
In the messages app and in standard screen, when you touch in the top the focus is random. I wish focus would be in the text message that you just typed. You have to find the message and then you can swipe to the send button. This may be an iOS issue. Maybe more later. Thanks.
Benny

On Jul 7, 2018, at 1:57 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Benny Barber

I wish we had the option to toggle off the announcements when FlickType is opened. The only announcement that I would like to hear is FlickType full screen or FlickType standard screen. The announcements are good when you are first learning, but they are a little verbose after a while. Just my opinion. Thanks.
Benny

Benny Barber

Ok, I am learning that the 3 finger flick up or down must be short and quick. It should not be a long swipe. I'm getting better at it. Thanks.
Benny

Ed Worrell

Hello kosta,

I love the new gesture to make the keyboard standard sized. That's as much as I like in this build. You're just teasing me Doug with the idea of a smaller keyboard...☺️

Things I would like to see...

One: a toggle in settings to select which style you would like to be default. Standard size. This being the ios sized keyboard. Option two full sized keyboard. Selecting one of these would make the keyboard launch in that mode every time you enter into a text field.
Two: full functionality in the smaller keyboard.
Three: the gesture could announce what the keyboard is doing. Swipe up with three fingers and VoiceOver could announce full screen mode. Swipe down and Voiceover could announce something like standard mode...

These were my thoughts after playing with the keyboard last night before bed.

Thanks,

Ed

On Jul 7, 2018, at 9:12 AM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Ok, I am learning that the 3 finger flick up or down must be short and quick. It should not be a long swipe. I'm getting better at it. Thanks.
Benny

Chuck Dean

Hi kosta,

I have played with Build 133 for a while, I really do not see an advantage with this keyboard over just switching between the FlickType and iOS keyboards.
When I leave this email, I will switch to the iOS keyboard, which will open the next email I send, ready to input my contact. I realize you put a lot of work into this,

But I don't get it.
Chuck

Benny Barber

Kosta,

I like where you are going with this.

I would like there to be consistency in the focus when the custom keyboard
is invoked. Sometimes it will open, the initial announcements are spoken
and you can start tap typing immediately (optimal scenario). Other times
when it opens there are no announcements. If I start typing, the initial
announcements begin to speak and I have to clear my taps and start over. As
stated in an earlier email, I would prefer the option to toggle off the
initial tutor announcements. I would prefer the announcement to simply be
"FlickType Full Screen" or FlickType Standard Screen".

When one does the 3 finger flick up or down, I would like the same FlickType
screen announcement (Full or Standard). With the 3 finger gesture either
way, I would like to see the focus to remain in the custom keyboard until
you either touch near the top of the screen or flick out of the standard
screen. I understand to put focus back into the standard screen, that you
must either flick back into it or touch in it. Of course when you 3 finger
flick up, the focus should be immediate and ready to tap type in the full
screen. For clarity, when I say "focus", I mean "in a ready to type Mode".

I don't think I am in favor of a standard sized full featured tap typing
screen. Maybe those that have some usable vision may prefer that, but if
you have limited or no vision some of the gestures could be difficult,
especially some of the 3 finger gestures and any other flick up or down
gestures that might be introduced. Again, this is just my opinion. I
respect those that have differing thoughts. Thanks.

Benny

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
Of FlickType
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2018 1:57 AM
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 133

- Added a 3-finger flick up and down gesture to switch between fullscreen
and standard size modes. Standard size is the same size as the iOS keyboard,
and only supports touch typing. The idea is that you would use the standard
size mode instead of dismissing the keyboard entirely, and potentially
resume fullscreen typing with a 3-finger flick up. The keyboard will commit
all changes to the underlying textfield upon entering standard size mode.
The keyboard will always default to fullscreen mode when popping up.

Michael Maslo

Chuck, I do not know or understand what your saying. I think it is a nice step forward. I find it extremely useful and for me the need to change keyboard less often being needed. Just because you do not find it useful does not mean you speak for everyone else. How do you feel the email shown below is helpful or assist in making this keyboard better?

On Jul 7, 2018, at 14:01, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi kosta,

I have played with Build 133 for a while, I really do not see an advantage with this keyboard over just switching between the FlickType and iOS keyboards.
When I leave this email, I will switch to the iOS keyboard, which will open the next email I send, ready to input my contact. I realize you put a lot of work into this,

But I don't get it.
Chuck

Benny Barber

Chuck,

I understand what you are saying and I assume you would prefer a smaller
full featured tap typing keyboard. I just don't know if smaller is a good
idea for those of us with unusable or no vision,. If Kosta can make the
current version work a little more crisper and consistent, I can use this
version just fine. Just my opinion. Thanks.

Benny

Of Chuck Dean
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2018 2:01 PM
To: Alpha

Hi kosta,

I have played with Build 133 for a while, I really do not see an advantage
with this keyboard over just switching between the FlickType and iOS
keyboards.
When I leave this email, I will switch to the iOS keyboard, which will open
the next email I send, ready to input my contact. I realize you put a lot of
work into this,

But I don't get it.
Chuck

Chuck Dean

Hi Benny,
Yes, my vision, and probably most people's vision of a half screen keyboard is a smaller keyboard that can be used like FlickType's tap typing and still have the ability to interact with the text fields and iPhone functions above.
Perhaps this is not possible with the way FlickType operates. I also use fleksy, which works exactly like the iOS keyboard, in minimal mode, except it allows tap typing. If you happen to stray above the keyboard, nothing really happens and you can continue typing. Personally, I would continue using Fleksy's minimal keyboard if they fixed its two main flaws, the predictive engine is not as good as FlickType, and if it had a much easier way to toggle to the iOS keyboard. Fleksy also has a stuttering problem, but so did I when I was a kid, so I can live with it.😎

I answered 23 emails this morning using FlickType. The first four I was changing between the half screen and full screen until it locked up. Then I restarted my iPhone and finished the other emails by switching between the iOS keyboard and the full screen FlickType keyboard, which I found much easier to and much more stable.

I mention this to Kosta because I think this is taking a wrong direction, has very little, if any benefit over changing to the iOS keyboard, and, in my opinion will not be well received by the general public. I'd rather see Kosta use his extreme talents on a better solution.

Chuck

On Jul 7, 2018, at 12:51 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Chuck,

Benny

Of Chuck Dean

Hi kosta,

keyboards.
work into this,

But I don't get it.
Chuck

Ed Worrell

Hello all,

I too like chuck use Fleksy and flicktype. I and really wanting to have a smaller version of flicktype. That's why I suggest a mode option...
This could be implemented in the setting portion of the app. It would allow you to select which mode you would like FlickType presented in when you start editing a text feild. When someone installs and runs the keyboard for the first time the keyboard will be in full screen mode. In settings you could have the option to have flicktype present itself in standard mode, this would be the same size as the default ios keyboard... You could leave the flick gesture to increase or decrease the size of the keyboard.

For example here's how I would run the keyboard with this option.
I would make the keyboard side standard. This would be great for answering text messages, searching the app store. Basicly for little everyday things that don't take up much time. This would be the default method of text entry for me.

Now lets say I need to peck out a lengthy email such as this one. I would perform the three finger flick up and have the full screen keyboard at my finger tips. The full screen keyboard would allow me to more comfortably bake a longer string of text without the need to be as precise.

This would be the dream keyboard for me in my everyday use.

Ed

On Jul 7, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Benny,
Yes, my vision, and probably most people's vision of a half screen keyboard is a smaller keyboard that can be used like FlickType's tap typing and still have the ability to interact with the text fields and iPhone functions above.
Perhaps this is not possible with the way FlickType operates. I also use fleksy, which works exactly like the iOS keyboard, in minimal mode, except it allows tap typing. If you happen to stray above the keyboard, nothing really happens and you can continue typing. Personally, I would continue using Fleksy's minimal keyboard if they fixed its two main flaws, the predictive engine is not as good as FlickType, and if it had a much easier way to toggle to the iOS keyboard. Fleksy also has a stuttering problem, but so did I when I was a kid, so I can live with it.😎

I answered 23 emails this morning using FlickType. The first four I was changing between the half screen and full screen until it locked up. Then I restarted my iPhone and finished the other emails by switching between the iOS keyboard and the full screen FlickType keyboard, which I found much easier to and much more stable.

I mention this to Kosta because I think this is taking a wrong direction, has very little, if any benefit over changing to the iOS keyboard, and, in my opinion will not be well received by the general public. I'd rather see Kosta use his extreme talents on a better solution.

Chuck

Chuck,

Benny

Of Chuck Dean

Hi kosta,

keyboards.
work into this,

But I don't get it.
Chuck

Benny Barber

Hello Ed,

Am I understanding you correctly? You prefer to have a full screen and a standard screen that are exactly the same in function? Thanks.

Benny

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ed Worrell via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2018 4:32 PM

Hello all,

I too like chuck use Fleksy and flicktype. I and really wanting to have a smaller version of flicktype. That's why I suggest a mode option...
This could be implemented in the setting portion of the app. It would allow you to select which mode you would like FlickType presented in when you start editing a text feild. When someone installs and runs the keyboard for the first time the keyboard will be in full screen mode. In settings you could have the option to have flicktype present itself in standard mode, this would be the same size as the default ios keyboard... You could leave the flick gesture to increase or decrease the size of the keyboard.

I would make the keyboard side standard. This would be great for answering text messages, searching the app store. Basicly for little everyday things that don't take up much time. This would be the default method of text entry for me.

Now lets say I need to peck out a lengthy email such as this one. I would perform the three finger flick up and have the full screen keyboard at my finger tips. The full screen keyboard would allow me to more comfortably bake a longer string of text without the need to be as precise.

Ed

Hi Benny,

Chuck

Chuck,

Benny

Of Chuck Dean

Hi kosta,

keyboards.
work into this,

But I don't get it.
Chuck

Chuck Dean

Hi Ed,
 I too would. like a smaller version of FlickType that could use tap typing. 
But as I understand it, this is not possible with the current configuration. 
Here is how Kosta explained it: 

FlickType does not immediately send keyboard events to the textfield, in order to prevent problematic VoiceOver feedback which includes delay, stutter, and perhaps most importantly a lot of erroneous feedback such as "End of document" which would happen with almost every word typed or changed. Instead, FlickType will hold on to all the new text you have typed, and only commit the changes upon dismissal or switching to the next keyboard. But with the half-screen mode, FlickType will also commit all changes as soon as the VoiceOver cursor moves away from FlickType. 

Chuck 
Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell@...> wrote:
Hello all,

Ed
> On Jul 7, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Benny,
> Yes, my vision, and probably most people's vision of a half screen keyboard is a smaller keyboard that can be used like FlickType's tap typing and still have the ability to interact with the text fields and iPhone functions above.
> Perhaps this is not possible with the way FlickType operates. I also use fleksy, which works exactly like the iOS keyboard, in minimal mode, except it allows tap typing. If you happen to stray above the keyboard, nothing really happens and you can continue typing. Personally, I would continue using Fleksy's minimal keyboard if they fixed its two main flaws, the predictive engine is not as good as FlickType, and if it had a much easier way to toggle to the iOS keyboard. Fleksy also has a stuttering problem, but so did I when I was a kid, so I can live with it.😎
>
> I answered 23 emails this morning using FlickType. The first four I was changing between the half screen and full screen until it locked up. Then I restarted my iPhone and finished the other emails by switching between the iOS keyboard and the full screen FlickType keyboard, which I found much easier to and much more stable.
>
> I mention this to Kosta because I think this is taking a wrong direction, has very little, if any benefit over changing to the iOS keyboard, and, in my opinion will not be well received by the general public. I'd rather see Kosta use his extreme talents on a better solution.
>
> Chuck
>
>> On Jul 7, 2018, at 12:51 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:
>>
>> Chuck,
>>
>> I understand what you are saying and I assume you would prefer a smaller
>> full featured tap typing keyboard.  I just don't know if smaller is a good
>> idea for those of us with unusable or no vision,.  If Kosta can make the
>> current version work a little more crisper and consistent, I can use this
>> version just fine.  Just my opinion.  Thanks.
>>
>> Benny
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
>> Of Chuck Dean
>> Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2018 2:01 PM
>> To: Alpha
>> Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 133
>>
>>
>> Hi kosta,
>>
>> I have played with Build 133 for a while, I really do not see an advantage
>> with this keyboard over just switching between the FlickType and iOS
>> keyboards.
>> When I leave this email, I will switch to the iOS keyboard, which will open
>> the next email I send, ready to input my contact. I realize you put a lot of
>> work into this,
>>
>> But I don't get it.
>> Chuck
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Ed Worrell

Hey chuck, 

As soon as you move to the application part of the window or change focus it could place the text. All though I would be happy with a half screen option that would function just like the current builds. This would allow me to check messages sent from friends and family as they come in. It would not have to place the text until it's dismissed. That would be ok with me. 

Ed 

On Jul 7, 2018, at 4:59 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Ed,
 I too would. like a smaller version of FlickType that could use tap typing. 
But as I understand it, this is not possible with the current configuration. 
Here is how Kosta explained it: 

FlickType does not immediately send keyboard events to the textfield, in order to prevent problematic VoiceOver feedback which includes delay, stutter, and perhaps most importantly a lot of erroneous feedback such as "End of document" which would happen with almost every word typed or changed. Instead, FlickType will hold on to all the new text you have typed, and only commit the changes upon dismissal or switching to the next keyboard. But with the half-screen mode, FlickType will also commit all changes as soon as the VoiceOver cursor moves away from FlickType. 

Chuck 
Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell@...> wrote:
Hello all,

Ed
> On Jul 7, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Benny,
> Yes, my vision, and probably most people's vision of a half screen keyboard is a smaller keyboard that can be used like FlickType's tap typing and still have the ability to interact with the text fields and iPhone functions above.
> Perhaps this is not possible with the way FlickType operates. I also use fleksy, which works exactly like the iOS keyboard, in minimal mode, except it allows tap typing. If you happen to stray above the keyboard, nothing really happens and you can continue typing. Personally, I would continue using Fleksy's minimal keyboard if they fixed its two main flaws, the predictive engine is not as good as FlickType, and if it had a much easier way to toggle to the iOS keyboard. Fleksy also has a stuttering problem, but so did I when I was a kid, so I can live with it.😎
>
> I answered 23 emails this morning using FlickType. The first four I was changing between the half screen and full screen until it locked up. Then I restarted my iPhone and finished the other emails by switching between the iOS keyboard and the full screen FlickType keyboard, which I found much easier to and much more stable.
>
> I mention this to Kosta because I think this is taking a wrong direction, has very little, if any benefit over changing to the iOS keyboard, and, in my opinion will not be well received by the general public. I'd rather see Kosta use his extreme talents on a better solution.
>
> Chuck
>
>> On Jul 7, 2018, at 12:51 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:
>>
>> Chuck,
>>
>> I understand what you are saying and I assume you would prefer a smaller
>> full featured tap typing keyboard.  I just don't know if smaller is a good
>> idea for those of us with unusable or no vision,.  If Kosta can make the
>> current version work a little more crisper and consistent, I can use this
>> version just fine.  Just my opinion.  Thanks.
>>
>> Benny
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
>> Of Chuck Dean
>> Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2018 2:01 PM
>> To: Alpha
>> Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 133
>>
>>
>> Hi kosta,
>>
>> I have played with Build 133 for a while, I really do not see an advantage
>> with this keyboard over just switching between the FlickType and iOS
>> keyboards.
>> When I leave this email, I will switch to the iOS keyboard, which will open
>> the next email I send, ready to input my contact. I realize you put a lot of
>> work into this,
>>
>> But I don't get it.
>> Chuck
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Ed Worrell

Hey Benny,

Yes this is correct. I feel that this would give everyone the option to have the keyboard they want, or at least close... The unfortunate thing about this is a lot of work to do for kosta with this idea.

I simply would like to have the ability to change the keyboard size on the fly. Bigger keyboard for emails, and smaller keyboard for texting and searching as there is stuff under the keyboard that I would like to interact with. Incoming messages, search results, etc.

On Jul 7, 2018, at 3:51 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Hello Ed,

Am I understanding you correctly? You prefer to have a full screen and a standard screen that are exactly the same in function? Thanks.

Benny

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ed Worrell via Groups.Io

Hello all,

Ed

Hi Benny,

Chuck

Chuck,

Benny

Of Chuck Dean

Hi kosta,

keyboards.
work into this,

But I don't get it.
Chuck

David Nason

Hi all,

I am very much with chuck and Ed on this.
If the half screen keyboard only does the manual typing method, then I really see absolutely no advantage to this over just switching to the standard iOS keyboard.
I am of course happy to hear why people might like this, but I just don't get it.

Benny, while you may be right in saying that people who don't have enough usable vision may struggle to use the tap typing and gestures on the half screen keyboard, the fact is that this would still also include the manual typing, as the full screen version does, so you would not be losing anything if full functionality was added to the half screen version.

That's how I see it currently anyway☺️

Dave

On 8 Jul 2018, at 00:15, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hey Benny,

Yes this is correct. I feel that this would give everyone the option to have the keyboard they want, or at least close... The unfortunate thing about this is a lot of work to do for kosta with this idea.

I simply would like to have the ability to change the keyboard size on the fly. Bigger keyboard for emails, and smaller keyboard for texting and searching as there is stuff under the keyboard that I would like to interact with. Incoming messages, search results, etc.
On Jul 7, 2018, at 3:51 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Hello Ed,

Benny

Hello all,

Ed

Hi Benny,

Chuck

Chuck,

Benny

Of Chuck Dean

Hi kosta,

keyboards.