Topics

Build 125

Internal changes. Full changelog since the last beta, build #119, follows below:

- Return key actions: Using the return key or the new line gesture on text fields with a return key label of "Search", "Done", "Go" or similar will trigger that action and dismiss the keyboard. Note that this will not yet work in the Mail app to switch between fields, since the return key label in that app is the default "Return" label. But searching in the Mail app should work as expected, same with searching in the App Store, Safari, Messages, Spotlight and others.
- Changed default emojis. If you have already customized your emojis, this will not affect you.

Please report any crashes or text loss, together with a detailed description of what you were doing in the last few seconds leading to the issue. If possible, please attempt to reproduce the issue as soon as it happened. If you manage to reliably reproduce the issue, we can follow those steps and almost certainly address it very quickly after that.

Thank you for testing FlickType, and help us spread the word!

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Ed Worrell

Hello kosta,

I am still finding the phonetics bug in the current build. If I type a word such as testers FlickType will find the T as I hunt for it manually and announce it as my finger is over the top of it without any issues. As soon as I lift my finger and find the next character in the word Voiceover announces the phonetics of the previous character. I really don't want to turn off phonetic spelling, but VoiceOver talking over itself is a little annoying. That is really the only issue I have encountered thus far.

Ed

On Jul 2, 2018, at 9:09 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Internal changes. Full changelog since the last beta, build #119, follows below:

- Return key actions: Using the return key or the new line gesture on text fields with a return key label of "Search", "Done", "Go" or similar will trigger that action and dismiss the keyboard. Note that this will not yet work in the Mail app to switch between fields, since the return key label in that app is the default "Return" label. But searching in the Mail app should work as expected, same with searching in the App Store, Safari, Messages, Spotlight and others.
- Changed default emojis. If you have already customized your emojis, this will not affect you.

Please report any crashes or text loss, together with a detailed description of what you were doing in the last few seconds leading to the issue. If possible, please attempt to reproduce the issue as soon as it happened. If you manage to reliably reproduce the issue, we can follow those steps and almost certainly address it very quickly after that.

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Thank you Ed. I have been unable to reproduce the issue. Have you tried restarting your device?

Kosta

On Jul 2, 2018, at 08:39, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hello kosta,

I am still finding the phonetics bug in the current build. If I type a word such as testers FlickType will find the T as I hunt for it manually and announce it as my finger is over the top of it without any issues. As soon as I lift my finger and find the next character in the word Voiceover announces the phonetics of the previous character. I really don't want to turn off phonetic spelling, but VoiceOver talking over itself is a little annoying. That is really the only issue I have encountered thus far.

Ed

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Ed Worrell

Hey Kosta,

Yes I restart my device after every new install of FlickType. That was my first thought too... I am not sure what the issue is. I can relyably get the issue to happen. Maybe I am manually typing to quickly for the speech engine.

Ed

On Jul 2, 2018, at 9:43 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Ed. I have been unable to reproduce the issue. Have you tried restarting your device?

Kosta

Hello kosta,

Ed

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Thank you Ed. Would it be possible to send us a screen recording with audio? No worries if it’s too much trouble.

Macky, on the capitalization of new words in the dictionary: we can’t always know what the default capitalization of the new word should be, so we had to choose between adding it to the dictionary with the casing exactly as entered, or assume it should be lowercase unless it was capitalized mid-sentence. A new word that’s capitalized at the beginning of a sentence presents ambiguity, because it could be either lowercase or capitalized it its default form. We think in most cases new words at the beginning of sentences will not be proper nouns, so we add them lowercased, although we could be wrong in that assumption. However, there’s a way to capitalize any word by shifting before typing it, whereas there is no way to lowercase a word that’s been added in its capitalized state. So maybe the current way is the better trade off, but we’re open to suggestions.

George, we have not made any changes to the engine, at least not intentionally. In general it’s not easy to judge the accuracy until you type hundreds of words, because there’s always some misses. We do have a way to automatically tell if there was a significant change, by observing the ratio of the total flick down gestures performed by all users, to the number of flick right gestures. If accuracy becomes worse, there’s more flick down gestures for each flick right, compared to before. So we’ll be keeping a close eye on that as we go to beta. And we do plan to dramatically improve the engine itself at some point, so stay tuned.

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 2, 2018, at 08:48, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hey Kosta,

Yes I restart my device after every new install of FlickType. That was my first thought too... I am not sure what the issue is. I can relyably get the issue to happen. Maybe I am manually typing to quickly for the speech engine.

Ed
On Jul 2, 2018, at 9:43 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Kosta

Hello kosta,

Ed

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

Ed Worrell

Hey Kosta,

I started to record with the screen sharing/record feature in iOS. I found this very interesting.
1. All FlickType sounds are gone. No clicks.
2. The phonetics issue is no longer present. It’s almost as if the issue is cleared up.
3. I stopped recording and went back into messages and even mail and the issue presents itself again.

I can record the audio using my Mac if you would like. I don’t mind.

Thanks,

Ed

Thank you Ed. We'd really appreciate it if you could send us a short clip.

- Kosta

George Cham

I too have the same problem when I flick right in a search field.
However if I tap on the search button at the bottom right, it does a search.
I then double tap on the item and it brings up the result that I want.

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of FlickType <hello@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 4:25:22 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 125

- Kosta

Ed Worrell

Hey Kosta,

Sorry in the delay of getting the GarageBand file to you. GarageBand decided that it wanted to update when I opened it, it just finished sheesh. I sent the file to the hello@... email as I didn’t want to clutter the email list with audio files.

Ed
Ed Worrell
CEO’/Co-Founder: OverHere Consulting LLP
“Bringing Technology into Sight”

On Jul 2, 2018, at 1:56 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

I too have the same problem when I flick right in a search field.
However if I tap on the search button at the bottom right, it does a search.
I then double tap on the item and it brings up the result that I want.

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io<alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of FlickType <hello@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 4:25:22 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 125

- Kosta

Ed Worrell

Hello Kosta,
I am having issued with the FlickType keyboard crashing when trying to use the activate search function in the app store.

I swipe right and hold to activate the search function and the keyboard resprings and my search text is gone. This happens with trying to manually trigger the search button as well... This just started happening tonight.

Ed

On Jul 2, 2018, at 12:25 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Kosta

George Cham

Go back to build 124

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:36:03 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 125

Hello Kosta,
 I am having issued with the FlickType keyboard crashing when trying to use the activate search function in the app store.

I swipe right and hold to activate the search function and the keyboard resprings and my search text is gone. This happens with trying to manually trigger the search button as well... This just started happening tonight.

Ed
> On Jul 2, 2018, at 12:25 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you Ed. We'd really appreciate it if you could send us a short clip.
>
> - Kosta
>
>
>