Topics

Build 104

- Fixed some more text loss issues. Please test this build as much as possible, and continue to report all text loss incidents with a date and time of when it happened.

Thank you for testing, we really appreciate it as always.

George Cham

Hello. Just testing build 104.
As yet. No vanishing text from my end. Time of testing. June 23 at 4 pm.

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of FlickType <hello@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 3:40:00 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 104

- Fixed some more text loss issues. Please test this build as much as possible, and continue to report all text loss incidents with a date and time of when it happened.

George Cham

While typing a reply to this message and another one. And now. The screen is going red. But I'm not losing text.

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of George Cham <George.cham@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 3:58:22 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io; alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 104

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of FlickType <hello@...>

George Cham

Time of this issue. June 23, 4. 10 pm

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of George Cham <George.cham@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 4:09:56 PM

While typing a reply to this message and another one. And now. The screen is going red. But I'm not losing text.

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Thank you George, appreciate you testing.

As a reminder to everyone, the red screen happens when FlickType receives a memory warning from iOS. That doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong or that iOS is definitely going to terminate the keyboard, but less warnings are better than more. This diagnostic tool will be disabled before releasing to beta or App Store. We 'd love to know if rebooting your device makes any difference in the amount or frequency of those warnings, if you get any to begin with.

Thanks,
Kosta

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 11:09 PM George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

George Cham

Thanks costa.
I rebooted my phone. And as I type, no red screen. However this may come back later
I have not tested 104 on my I pad. But I'm sure I'll get the chance

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 4:16:50 PM

Thank you George, appreciate you testing.

As a reminder to everyone, the red screen happens when FlickType receives a memory warning from iOS. That doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong or that iOS is definitely going to terminate the keyboard, but less warnings are better than more. This diagnostic tool will be disabled before releasing to beta or App Store. We 'd love to know if rebooting your device makes any difference in the amount or frequency of those warnings, if you get any to begin with.

Thanks,
Kosta

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 11:09 PM George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Kind regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

Macster

Hi Kosta.

I'm happy to report I've been using this build quite a bit this morning and touch wood I've not encountered the dreaded disappearing text issue at all yet. I've typed messages and a couple of emails, including this one, and made a point of trying typing at different speeds, using the manual input for stand alone capitals which triggered the issue for me before, phone numbers, postcode entry, and just randomly hit everything trying to break it but it has stood up to the test very well👍. I hope others have a similar experience and here's hoping you've nailed it and its stable from here.

This could be wide of the mark but for those who have had the disappearing text issue more than I have, how many keyboards do you have active? I could be wrong but normally I only have the standard iOS and FlickType keyboards active, but I enabled the emoji keyboard to add a few extra options to the emoji list. This was when I experienced the text disappearing, but once I disabled it and only had my usual two keyboard options available I haven't experienced it again. Like I said, this is probably clutching at straws or just a coincidence but thought I would mention it anyway.

Slainte,

Macky

On 23 Jun 2018, at 06:40, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

George Cham

Hi costa,
I'm writing this reply on I pad. So far, no red screen.
I only have 2 keyboards.
iOS and FlickType.
I've been manually typing and flick typing, and no vanishing text.
I've used it in messages, and outlook for ios.

Kind Regards,

George Cham

Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Macster <alan.macdonald1@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 6:42:14 PM

Hi Kosta.

I'm happy to report I've been using this build quite a bit this morning and touch wood I've not encountered the dreaded disappearing text issue at all yet. I've typed messages and a couple of emails, including this one, and made a point of trying typing at different speeds, using the manual input for stand alone capitals which triggered the issue for me before, phone numbers, postcode entry, and just randomly hit everything trying to break it but it has stood up to the test very well👍. I hope others have a similar experience and here's hoping you've nailed it and its stable from here.

This could be wide of the mark but for those who have had the disappearing text issue more than I have, how many keyboards do you have active? I could be wrong but normally I only have the standard iOS and FlickType keyboards active, but I enabled the emoji keyboard to add a few extra options to the emoji list. This was when I experienced the text disappearing, but once I disabled it and only had my usual two keyboard options available I haven't experienced it again. Like I said, this is probably clutching at straws or just a coincidence but thought I would mention it anyway.

Slainte,

Macky
> On 23 Jun 2018, at 06:40, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>
> - Fixed some more text loss issues. Please test this build as much as possible, and continue to report all text loss incidents with a date and time of when it happened.
>
> Thank you for testing, we really appreciate it as always.
>
>
>

Chuck Dean

Hello Kosta,
I installed Build 104 and restarted my iPhone.
I did see one red screen, but I haven't had any text loss.
So far, so good.😎

Chuck
PS when I went to the iOS keyboard to edit this text. The words: hello Kosta, I installed: had been replaced with the word: chuck:.
Weird this happened at 8:39 AM PDT

Thank you Chuck. I've managed to reproduce this problem and I'm working on a fix.

Kosta

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 8:41 AM Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello Kosta,
 So far, so good.😎

Chuck
PS when I went to the iOS keyboard to edit this text. The words: hello Kosta, I installed: had been replaced with the word: chuck:.

Chuck Dean

Oh, so I'm not crazy.😎 
 Chuck 

On Jun 23, 2018, at 12:20 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Thank you Chuck. I've managed to reproduce this problem and I'm working on a fix.

Kosta

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 8:41 AM Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello Kosta,
 So far, so good.😎

Chuck

Dan Lococo

I forget sometimes that I'm a product tester while using this app. So, the frustration I have been having with it is real but not justified. I said I'd test the product and have been doing so. The problem is that they seemed to have it almost perfect and then they just went too far. The product became unstable and I became very frustrated with it. The developers have been working diligently to fix the problems that have come up. I have to remind myself that I need to do my part as a product tester and keep working with the product. Sometimes that's just frustrating.

On the other hand, I get to see how far the product has come in its development. I typed this with the latest build. No problems so far.

Thanks for all of your hard work Kosta and Ashley.

Dan Lococo
Barrier Knocker Downer

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 12:40 AM

Thank you Dan, we really appreciate your help and totally understand the frustration.

We know that losing any text you have typed is probably the single worst thing a keyboard can do for you, worse even than just crashing and leaving your text alone. We are working round the clock to address this issue and it's only a matter of time before we do. Hopefully it is clear that we have not been working on any superficial bells and whistles since the start of the project, and we've even put on hold some necessary features like spelling of words and character phonetic feedback. The combination of iOS keyboard APIs and VoiceOver together have proven to be a very temperamental system to work with. We are taking steps to not just get back to where we were in terms of stability, but also reduce the likelihood of similar situations in the future, to the extent that this is possible.

Thank you all for your patience and support.

Kosta & Ashley