Topics

A test with Fleksy.

Chuck Dean

H

u Kosta, i went back and downloaded Fleksy again to see how it interacts with the iOS screen. As i an typing this, i an using the Fleksy minimal keyboard. The keyboard is the bottom half of the screen, and i can interact with all the nails text fields and i can use the rotor Tu move the cursor where i want. The predictive engine doesn't seem as good, it has a stutter when announcing words, and there is no good way to insert a new line. Also, changing keyboards is a nightmare, having to change to the spacebar keyboard first, then using the globe button to select a keyboard. My pointr is, this would be the perfect keyboard layout, for me anyways, and is what i mean by a half screen keyboard. Plus i can easily input my text replacements. 😎 👍 

Ed Worrell

Chuck, 

try performing a two finger flick down in the bottom right hand corner. This should insert a new line. 

Ed

On May 20, 2018, at 12:34 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

H

u Kosta, i went back and downloaded Fleksy again to see how it interacts with the iOS screen. As i an typing this, i an using the Fleksy minimal keyboard. The keyboard is the bottom half of the screen, and i can interact with all the nails text fields and i can use the rotor Tu move the cursor where i want. The predictive engine doesn't seem as good, it has a stutter when announcing words, and there is no good way to insert a new line. Also, changing keyboards is a nightmare, having to change to the spacebar keyboard first, then using the globe button to select a keyboard. My pointr is, this would be the perfect keyboard layout, for me anyways, and is what i mean by a half screen keyboard. Plus i can easily input my text replacements. 😎 👍 

Thank you Chuck. Is the word stutter bearable? I remember that with the first flicktype builds with manual input, most people complained about the stutter or the delay that was used as a workaround to prevent the stutter.

Kosta 

On May 20, 2018, at 11:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

H

Ed Worrell

Chuck, 

you are correct. I too like the style of the minimum keyboard. This would be great to have with FlickType at some point in the future. 

Ed 

H

Ed, how are you finding the word feedback with the Fleksy custom keyboard?

Kosta 

On May 20, 2018, at 11:40, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Chuck, 

you are correct. I too like the style of the minimum keyboard. This would be great to have with FlickType at some point in the future. 

Ed 

H

Ed Worrell

I too use the Fleksy keyboard off and on. The stutter is ok. The typing is so much easier and quicker for me with the gestures I forgive the stutter with VoiceOver. Kosta, you mentioned that turning off Voiceover feedback whilst typing would fix the stuttering issues. Like I mentioned in a previous email if the keyboard is fully functional with everything working as it should I would be ok with the word announcement being turned off in VoiceOver settings. 

Just my thoughts on the idea.. 

Ed

On May 20, 2018, at 12:39 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Thank you Chuck. Is the word stutter bearable? I remember that with the first flicktype builds with manual input, most people complained about the stutter or the delay that was used as a workaround to prevent the stutter.

Kosta 

H

Chuck Dean

Hi Kosta, the stutter is annoying but I could learn to live with it.. I noticed when I turned off voice over the stutter was gone but there was a delay. 

If their was a good way to enter a new line, an easier way to change to the numbers and symbols, and to switch keyboards, as you have implemented in FlickType, I would be pleased with that particular layout.

Chuck

On May 20, 2018, at 11:39 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Kosta 

H

Chuck Dean

Hi Ed, thanks, I'll try it once I turn on Fleksy again. I don't like having more than two keyboards active at a time.

Chuck

On May 20, 2018, at 11:37 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Chuck, 

try performing a two finger flick down in the bottom right hand corner. This should insert a new line. 

Ed

H

Ed, you mentioned: “The typing is so much easier and quicker for me with the gestures I forgive the stutter with VoiceOver.”  

What gestures are you referring to that are not available in FlickType? Are you talking about the new line?

Kosta 

On May 20, 2018, at 12:04, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Ed, thanks, I'll try it once I turn on Fleksy again. I don't like having more than two keyboards active at a time.

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Ed Worrell

Kosta, 

all of the basic gestures are the same between FlickType and Fleksy. I guess I was more referring to the difference between the default iOS keyboard. And Fleksy. Not to take anything away from your cursor control but I prefer using the VoiceOver rotor with the half screen keyboard. I just feel that the simpler you can make the gestures the better it will be for all users. With Fleksy in the minimum style keyboard the gestures are very simple and straight forward. The only thing I am missing is the ability to quickly switch between modes such as symbols and numbers. I hope this clears up my previous email... 

Ed

On May 20, 2018, at 1:07 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Ed, you mentioned: “The typing is so much easier and quicker for me with the gestures I forgive the stutter with VoiceOver.”  

What gestures are you referring to that are not available in FlickType? Are you talking about the new line?

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Thank you Ed, that does clear it up. Aside from the unbeatable aspect that the standard VoiceOver cursor mechanism is familiar, can you describe in more detail what aspects of it you prefer over the gesture control in FlickType?

Kosta 

On May 20, 2018, at 12:16, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Kosta, 

all of the basic gestures are the same between FlickType and Fleksy. I guess I was more referring to the difference between the default iOS keyboard. And Fleksy. Not to take anything away from your cursor control but I prefer using the VoiceOver rotor with the half screen keyboard. I just feel that the simpler you can make the gestures the better it will be for all users. With Fleksy in the minimum style keyboard the gestures are very simple and straight forward. The only thing I am missing is the ability to quickly switch between modes such as symbols and numbers. I hope this clears up my previous email... 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Ed Worrell

Hey Kosta, 

I really think that is it in its simplest form. I am use to using it everyday. I really am not sure what could make the FlickType cursor control on par with the VoiceOver rotor option. I guess just making the FlickType manual input more seamless, and adding the new line feature would make me use the FlickType keyboard in more circumstances. You have done a great job, I really think it's simply the VoiceOver rotor is built in.

On May 20, 2018, at 1:30 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Thank you Ed, that does clear it up. Aside from the unbeatable aspect that the standard VoiceOver cursor mechanism is familiar, can you describe in more detail what aspects of it you prefer over the gesture control in FlickType?

Kosta 

Kosta, 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Chuck Dean

If I may chime in here, 

I like the rotor because it is familiar to me and is used in other situations, so I also like the consistency of the controls. I sometimes get frustrated because I have forgotten a basic gesture and have screwed up my typing. 

But the reason I like the Fleksy minimal keyboard is, for instance, if I am composing an email, first I enter the recipient, then I can double tap in the subject field and type in the  subject of the email, then I can double tap on the text body and start typing, all without having to change keyboards or doing a dismiss. The same is true when sending a text message. 

I understand you like the words being visible on the top half of the screen, and it is pretty cool, but my sad eyes wouldn't use this feature very much and I'd prefer to have the interaction with the iPhone's screen.,  

Chuck

On May 20, 2018, at 12:30 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Kosta 

Kosta, 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Matthew Janusauskas

I find the two and three-finger swipe cursor movement gestures to be far more efficient and fluid than the extra movements required to use the Voiceover rotor, even though the rotor is still more familiar and is used in so many other contexts. Just my opinion.

On May 20, 2018, at 4:02 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

If I may chime in here, 

I like the rotor because it is familiar to me and is used in other situations, so I also like the consistency of the controls. I sometimes get frustrated because I have forgotten a basic gesture and have screwed up my typing. 

But the reason I like the Fleksy minimal keyboard is, for instance, if I am composing an email, first I enter the recipient, then I can double tap in the subject field and type in the  subject of the email, then I can double tap on the text body and start typing, all without having to change keyboards or doing a dismiss. The same is true when sending a text message. 

I understand you like the words being visible on the top half of the screen, and it is pretty cool, but my sad eyes wouldn't use this feature very much and I'd prefer to have the interaction with the iPhone's screen.,  

Chuck

Kosta 

Kosta, 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Paul Sutton

Out of curiosity I just installed Fleksy and had a quick go. I found it incredibly difficult because I was trying really hard not to tap above the Fleksy keyboard so as a consequence my typing was terrible and messy. 
I can however understand the benefits from having a half screen keyboard from the point of view that it would be a lot more easy to fill in multiple text fields. 
By the way, I am writing this from the view of a totally blind user. 
Regards, Paul.

On 20 May 2018, at 22:02, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

If I may chime in here, 

Chuck

Kosta 

Kosta, 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Chuck Dean

Hi,
I find just the opposite! 
It looks like Kosta really has his work cut out for him. 😎 

Chuck

On May 20, 2018, at 2:21 PM, Matthew Janusauskas <mjanusauskas@...> wrote:

I find the two and three-finger swipe cursor movement gestures to be far more efficient and fluid than the extra movements required to use the Voiceover rotor, even though the rotor is still more familiar and is used in so many other contexts. Just my opinion.

On May 20, 2018, at 4:02 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

If I may chime in here, 

Chuck

Kosta 

Kosta, 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

George Cham

I had fleksy installed , however if you plan on importing your dictionary  , fleksy will launch as the deafult app .

Kind regards,

George Cham

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’
Numbers 6:24-26
Get Outlook for iOS

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Dean <cadean329@...>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2018 7:02:47 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] A test with Fleksy.

If I may chime in here, 

Chuck

Kosta 

Kosta, 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Chuck Dean

Hi Paul,
Yes, that’s very understandable that a totally blind person would have much more problems with half screen keyboard then with the whole screen keyboard. I think this is why the full screen keyboard was initially invented.
I guess this is why we need more than one keyboard.
Although, a partially sighted person could also use a full screen keyboard, so I think the best route is to work with full screen keyboard now, and perhaps in the future go with half screen keyboard.

Chuck

On May 20, 2018, at 2:24 PM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:

Out of curiosity I just installed Fleksy and had a quick go. I found it incredibly difficult because I was trying really hard not to tap above the Fleksy keyboard so as a consequence my typing was terrible and messy. 
I can however understand the benefits from having a half screen keyboard from the point of view that it would be a lot more easy to fill in multiple text fields. 
Regards, Paul.

If I may chime in here, 

Chuck

Kosta 

Kosta, 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Ed Worrell

Hey chuck and all, 

I am completely blind and I find the half screen keyboard much more user friendly. The productivity level for me is much, much faster with the half screen effort. 

Ed

On May 20, 2018, at 3:27 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,
Yes, that’s very understandable that a totally blind person would have much more problems with half screen keyboard then with the whole screen keyboard. I think this is why the full screen keyboard was initially invented.
Although, a partially sighted person could also use a full screen keyboard, so I think the best route is to work with full screen keyboard now, and perhaps in the future go with half screen keyboard.

Chuck

Regards, Paul.

If I may chime in here, 

Chuck

Kosta 

Kosta, 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H

Chuck Dean

Hi Ed,
This is why Kosta has such a big job ahead of him. There are so many different types of vision acuity, and even when people have the same vision acuity, some people have better spatial recognition than others. He has a very hard road to ride.

Even sighted people cannot agree on what’s the best keyboard, if you look in the App Store there are hundreds.
Chuck

On May 20, 2018, at 2:32 PM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hey chuck and all, 

I am completely blind and I find the half screen keyboard much more user friendly. The productivity level for me is much, much faster with the half screen effort. 

Ed

On May 20, 2018, at 3:27 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

Chuck

Regards, Paul.

If I may chime in here, 

Chuck

Kosta 

Kosta, 

Ed

Kosta 

Chuck

Chuck, 

Ed

H