Topics

Some Questions

David Nason

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

I hope you're well.

Firstly, thanks for adding the ability to clear out the dictionary, it is very helpful.
However I am now in a bit of a bind. I don't want to switch on the automatic adding of manually typed words, because as mentioned, it gets messy. But the requirement to go into the app to add words manually is a pain honestly. So I wondered if you could add back the ability to add words manually while typing? Previously this was done with a swipe up after confirming the word, which worked well.

I also wonder if you might consider bringing back the one finger swipe up to capitalize a letter? The reason I ask is that the iPhone X R does not have 3D Touch, and it seems very possible that Apple will kill the feature entirely.
Your implementation of 3D Touch is the best I've seen, and the only thing I would really miss! I'm probably going to get the next version of the XR this year, and would hate to lose the ability to type as I do now, I don't like the two finger tap method at all.

My final question is kinda from left field...
Are you by any chance considering taking FlickType across to Android?

Hi David,
Would a two finger swipe up to enter manually typed words into the dictionary work for you ?
I would hate to lose the single finger swipe up for emoji, and the swipe down for punctuation.

Chuck  (mobile)

On Mar 7, 2019, at 11:27 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

-=-=-=

David Nason

Hi Chuck,

I could live with a two finger swipe, though always prefer one.
The way I see it though, this would not affect the very important function that you mention. After manually typing a word, the first swipe right just confirms the word, a swipe down gives you alternative suggestions, while a swipe up does nothing. Emoji and punctuation require a second swipe right.

Cheers,
Dave

On 7 Mar 2019, at 19:06, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

Good point... But the only problem I see, and its a minor point, is there may be some confusion among the less tech savy users.

Chuck  (mobile)

On Mar 7, 2019, at 1:22 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't see why that would be. It's no more confusing than any other gesture I don't think...

On 7 Mar 2019, at 20:58, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

Rocco Fiorentino

I actually really like the idea of the one finger swipe up to add words to the dictionary, as long as it doesn’t infringe on the punctuation and emoji issue.

Rocco

On Mar 7, 2019, at 3:20 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

Sharon Kim

Hello Kosta and Ashely, I hope this email finds you well.
Okay so I've taken my sweet time in making this post, because I really wanted to test out the new version.
So first of all, the hold not adding words that you manually typed in to the dictionary, is not something I'm a huge fan of. I actually loved that you could add a word so easily and quickly. I mean maybe your dictionary got a little cluttered, but you could at least clear it out if need be. So to me, taking out that entire option is not an improvement.
Secondly, I know that in this build, you guys have tried to improve accuracy. It's not improved, in fact if anything it's worsened. I now have more trouble getting it to suggest the word I want, than what it was before. I don't know if it's just me, but I find it rather frustrating, because it's coming up with insane words, that aren't anywhere near what I typed. When before, I didn't have this issue at all. Or if I did, it was very rare.
Lastly, there is a bug, and it must die. It must be squashed with ferocity. It happens when I type a quotation mark, and try and type in a word. Then when I swipe right, rather than giving me the suggestion, it quite literally erases everything I've typed and I have to type it all in again. The only way around it, is to manually type in the word after the quote. So for example, if I typed in, "Yes, of course." I'd have to type in the quote manually, which is fine, but then when I switch back to letters and type in yes, it gets rid of everything. so what I have to do is type quote, switch back to letters, then manually type in yes, for it to work properly. I'm not sure this makes any sense, but as I can't show it to you, it's a bit difficult to explain. Now, I will note, that this bug did not occur before the latest update. I hope this helps, I do appologize, if I do come across as a bit critical, but I've kind of been holding off, in hopes that I might just have to get used to things. But no, it's just... no good. Hope these gets fixed soon. Thank you both so much, I truly appreciate it.

[...]

Hi Sharon,

Just to let you know, the ability to automatically add manually typed words to the dictionary is still available, it's just been made optional.
Go to the settings section of the app, and switch on the option to automatically learn new words. This will give you the same functionality as in previous versions.

Hope that helps,
Dave

On 9 Mar 2019, at 21:56, Sharon Kim <sharon.mi.kim22@...> wrote:

[...]

Salman Haider

I too like the suggestion of being able to add a word manually to the
dictionary by using a one finger swipe up gesture (like it used to be
in the initial Flicktype days).
I also don't think that it would be more confusing as Dave correctly
pointed out, that gesture at this point does not do anything.
Therefore, if anything, it would simply be an addition to the existing
functionality and only be used by users who actually prefer adding
words to the dictionary that way.
To reduce any confusion, the existing method of manually adding words
to the dictionary should also be kept.

I also like the suggestion of adding a one finger swipe up gesture to
capitalize a letter, and that does not have anything to do with 3D
touch. Simply more convenient in my opinion.

Salman

On 3/8/19, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
I don't see why that would be. It's no more confusing than any other gesture
I don't think...
On 7 Mar 2019, at 20:58, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Good point... But the only problem I see, and its a minor point, is there
may be some confusion among the less tech savy users.

Chuck (mobile)

Our 1972 Honda 600 Coupe

Our 1961 Vespa 400

[...]

Benny Barber

I like some of the suggestions, but I see a problem with flicking up to
capitalize a letter. If one has just entered a comma and wants to
capitalize the next word by flicking up, this jesture would simply change
the comma to a period. Am I understanding what is being suggested with the
flick up jesture to capitalize? Just thinking. Thanks.

Benny

[...]

Hi Benny,

What I actually had in mind is that you would swipe up after manually typing a letter to capitalize it. Currently you 3D touch when manually typing a letter to capitalize it, but I'm just concerned about devices that don't have the 3D touch feature.

So there would be no interference with punctuation.

It's just one idea though ☺️

Dave

On 10 Mar 2019, at 11:07, Benny Barber <benny.barber55@...> wrote:

[...]

Got it. Sounds good to me. Thanks.
Benny

On Mar 10, 2019, at 6:43 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

For devices that don’t have 3D Touch, currently you have to tap the screen once with two fingers to capitalize a letter prior to typing it. Vut like I expressed, I much rather prefer and would like to see the swipe up with one finger to capitalize option if possible.
Salman

On Mar 10, 2019, at 4:43 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

For those without 3D touch you can simply tap the shift key on the left side of the keyboard before typing to capitalize a letter,
It works well, and seems to take less time than a flick up, at least for me, and keeps in line with normal qwerty keyboard operation.

Chuck  (mobile)

On Mar 10, 2019, at 7:31 AM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

[...]

Again I worry about confusion whenever a gesture has more than one function.
I train many senior citizens, who have recently lost vision do to age related macular degeneration on iPhone operation, and gestures that have more than one function throws them off. Even the three finger swipe down on the iPhone screen, which will either open the notification center, or a search function depending on where the initial focus is can be confusing.
 Some find flicking right to insert the word just typed in FlickType and then another flick right to insert punctuation takes a while to understand. I don't even tell them about the punctuation and symbols panel until they are fairly comfortable with flicktype.
I feel the more simple FlickType is, the better. And app like this can get bogged down with too many gestures.
I personally let flicktype automatically enter new words, and I enter a lot of words. At this time my dictionary has 1213 words in it, and that is after a major clean up. I doubt I would ever use a gesture to enter a word into the dictionary, but if one is needed, I would prefer a dedicated gesture like a two finger swipe up, considering that most people really do not enter that many words into the dictionary.

Chuck  (mobile)

On Mar 10, 2019, at 5:43 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

Hmm I'm not a fan of the one finger swipe up. Just because if it works that way outside the app, it tends to activate the control center orr otherr stuch stuff. Unless you mean inside the app. I wouldn't mind a two finger swipe up. That wouldn't conflict with anything. As far as capitalization goes, you can do a two finger double tap Unless again, you're talking about the app itself rather than the system wide keyboard.

[...]

I totally disagree that these would be over complicated. They are gestures that are completely optional. If the user doesn't want to use them, they don't have to,  and if you don't want to teach them, that's up to you. I really don't see how they are any more complicated than any other gesture, and in fact, they have quite a logical feel to them.
Is FlickType really supposed to be a simple keyboard as you suggest? I think it's very much one that should, and does, cater to advanced users as well. It can be both.

Some of us prefer not to have the shift key and spacebar row on screen, to have a cleaner keyboard, which also makes manual typing easier.

So it seems we have to agree to differ on this one ☺️

On 10 Mar 2019, at 16:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello,
[...]

The one finger swipe up would be no different to the one for emojis that's already there.
You only get interference if you start from the very bottom of the screen.

On 10 Mar 2019, at 16:50, Sharon Kim <sharon.mi.kim22@...> wrote:

[...]

I wonder how many people actually dislike the automatic word entry feature. As I said, I enter a lot of words, and fine the automatic entry works perfectly. I am sure there are words in my dictionary that I entered by mistake, and other than they may come up in the selection suggestions, I don't have a problem with them.
I went through my dictionary a few weeks ago and removed over 1000 entries because it was suggested that my large dictionary may be affecting FlickType's performance, but after the clean up I noticed no difference.

I feel if the automatic entry is turned off by default, there will be a lot of people thinking the feature was removed. Personally, I would like to see the automatic word entry turned on by default once this version goes to the app store , then the more advanced user could turn it off if need be.

Chuck  (mobile)

On Mar 10, 2019, at 11:04 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello David,
I am not saying these gestures are complicated. With the exception of the flick right, every gesture in FlickType does one operation, which is very deliberate.
I can see where someone may be typing and want to enter a😎 and does a flick up to enter the emoji before they flicked right, and then getting a tone, or FlickType saying, that word already exist. That is where the confusion may come into play.

At the very least, I would suggest, if this gesture is implemented, that it would be on a toggle, and off by default.

Chuck  (mobile)