Topics

½ screen keyboard

Chuck Dean

Hi Kosta ,
I am finding the ½ screen keyboard is working well as long as I do not try moving the cursor .

I find if I have to move the cursor I am better off using the rotor and flicking by word or letter , an obvious advantage of the ½ screen keyboard.
Also , when I need to read the text back, I simply touch in the text field and let VoiceOver review for me.

I am beginning to wonder if the to finger and three finger gestures are still necessary with the ½ screen keyboard .

Again , just spitballing.😎
Chuck (mobile) Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

Ed Worrell

Hey Chuck and Kosta,

I too was wondering if this could be a possibility with VoiceOver. I am still having issues with it crashing and not interacting with the screen below/to the top of the screen. This is from what I can tell an issue with iOS 12 beta 8. I am now just getting around to installing iOS 12 beta 9, I will soon see if this is any different.

On Aug 22, 2018, at 10:20 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta ,
I am finding the ½ screen keyboard is working well as long as I do not try moving the cursor .

I find if I have to move the cursor I am better off using the rotor and flicking by word or letter , an obvious advantage of the ½ screen keyboard.
Also , when I need to read the text back, I simply touch in the text field and let VoiceOver review for me.

I am beginning to wonder if the to finger and three finger gestures are still necessary with the ½ screen keyboard .

Again , just spitballing.😎
Chuck (mobile) Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

I have just installed iOS 12 beta 9 and all is well again with the FlickType half screen option. What ever Apple did in this build seems to have fixed the issues I was having with interacting with the upper half of the screen.

I personally would like to see the size of the keyboard a little smaller. I really don’t like the half screen option. I would like to see it the same size of the default iOS keyboard. In the future I would also like to see a minimal size keyboard, I really find myself missing this option from the original Fleksy days.

On Aug 22, 2018, at 10:20 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta ,
I am finding the ½ screen keyboard is working well as long as I do not try moving the cursor .

I find if I have to move the cursor I am better off using the rotor and flicking by word or letter , an obvious advantage of the ½ screen keyboard.
Also , when I need to read the text back, I simply touch in the text field and let VoiceOver review for me.

I am beginning to wonder if the to finger and three finger gestures are still necessary with the ½ screen keyboard .

Again , just spitballing.😎
Chuck (mobile) Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.

David Nason

Yep, as long as it is working well, I would see myself using standard iOS gestures such as rotor navigation for moving the cursor etc too.

Dave

On 22 Aug 2018, at 18:48, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

[...]

.Hi Ed,
Personally .

On .Aug personally, I like the half screen. It allows me to interact with the fields above, yet is large enough for my fat fingers , 2018, at 10:48 AM, Ed Worrell via Gro.uops.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

[...]

Perhaps kosta could make a slider .Like a volume slider to control the size of the keyboard.
I don’t even know if this is possible, but it might be an idea.
Chuck

On Aug 22, 2018, at 11:20 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

Kosta could honestly keep using the menu system he has in place. He could simply add one more option that is the standard iOS keyboard size. This would be ok with me. The menu structure works great. No reason to reinvent the wheel for a menu selection option.

I just feel that there is a long distance to travel to find the send button in the messages app, because of this distance I keep on triggering the letters O and P. I have to delete them just about every time I look for the send button. This would be eliminated for me with a smaller keyboard option.

On Aug 22, 2018, at 12:27 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Perhaps kosta could  make a slider .Like a volume slider to control the size of the keyboard.
I don’t even know if this is possible, but it might be an idea.
Chuck

On Aug 22, 2018, at 11:20 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

.Hi Ed,
Personally .

On .Aug personally, I like the half screen. It allows me to interact with the fields above, yet is large enough for my fat fingers , 2018, at 10:48 AM, Ed Worrell via Gro.uops.Io <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hello,

[...]

I have the same problems ,

But I am not sure the size of the keyboard is the problem On Aug 22, 2018, at 11:42. Chuck
, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Maslo

Hello kosta, I am having major issues with flick type and half screen. I am using it with voice over. First when I was responding to this email, the cursor jumped all over the place. For example. I was typing and for no apparent reason the cursor jumped down to the middle of the message I was responding to. This happened several times before I got frustrated and went back to full size keyboard. Secondly, when typing and having to flick down the focus is lost and the keyboard disappears. It is past frustrating when this happens and this behavior has been evident for a very long time. I am running iOS 12 on a iPhone x

 Banks for your assistance.

On Aug 22, 2018, at 13:42, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for the valuable feedback.

- Seems like iOS 12 betas are causing issues for some people, and there's even different reports for different betas. We'll do our best to make this work better given the moving target that iOS beta software is.
- Using the iOS gestures in half screen mode is a great idea and something we are seriously considering. There are some issues however with touches that might be consumed by FlickType's Direct Touch view, as opposed to the application above it which would only be receiving the top touch of your rotor gesture for example. This also relates to the size of the keyboard, and the smaller it is the easier it will be to perform the rotor gestures. We are investigating and we might try out a few different options here.
- We are still working on the iOS 11 crashes and hope to have an update over the next few days.

Please keep the feedback and ideas coming, as well as what iOS typing feedback settings you found work best with the half-screen mode so that we can be recommending them to people.

I went into the VoiceOver speech settings and turned off pitch change, so now when I type with the half screen keyboard all spoken feedback sounds the same.

Chuck

On Aug 22, 2018, at 9:37 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[...]

Hey kosta

I too have turned off pitch change. I find the pitch change to be a little much
Sent from .my iPhone

Ohn Aug 22, 2.018, at 10:49 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean3
Ed
29@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta,
[...]

- Kosta