Topics

Whatsapp crashing. Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 131

Salman Haider

Hi Kosta,
I have begun encountering the exact same issue, just out of the blue. It is exactly how Dave describes it here, word for word. Everything is exactly the same.
The only difference is, I am on iOS 11.4.1.
Also, I am on version 137 of Flicktype. However, like dave says, the issue isn't version specific. Its happening while FlickType itself is installed. When I uninstall it, the issue disappears.

Dave, were you able to find a way to get around this issue? I have tried everything that you have stated here, apart from deleting the thread itself. Which is definitely not something I can afford to do here.
Any help would be appreciated.

Salman

On Jul 4, 2018, at 12:05 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta,

This build is crashing WhatsApp for me.
Its a strange one though. When I open particular message threads, and double tap on the text field in order to type, the app crashes. Other message threads will be just fine.

Its definitely FlickType causing the issue because when I delete it, the crashes stop, and when I install it again, the crashes occur again.

In fact previous builds seem to be doing it too.
I am running iOS 12 beta, which yesterday updated to beta 3, so perhaps that’s related.

Dave
On 4 Jul 2018, at 07:46, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Internal changes

Thank you Salman.

We are currently investigating this. Is there anything unusual that you or your friend typed into the thread just before you started experiencing the issue?

- Kosta

Salman Haider

Not at all. Plain old text. Not even any numbers or emoji or symbols.In fact, we usually exchange voice messages but in this case, those haven't been exchanged in recent days either.

On Jul 12, 2018, at 5:20 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Thank you Salman.

We are currently investigating this. Is there anything unusual that you or your friend typed into the thread just before you started experiencing the issue?

- Kosta

Salman, could you please send us a couple of the latest crash reports for WhatsApp that may be on your device? You can find those under iOS Settings, Privacy, Analytics, Analytics Data.

Hi Salman and Kosta,

This issue has continued to occur to me too in recent days.
Sometimes it will crash once and then be ok, but other times a specific message thread will just continue to crash no matter how many times I try it.
It's not always the same message thread either, it's currently affecting a different one to the one being affected most often when I first reported it.

Of course it could be the case that WhatsApp has a bug with third party keyboards, as opposed to an issue with FlickType. Might be worth contacting them too.

Dave

Just sent the two latest ones to @FlickType

On Jul 12, 2018, at 5:29 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Salman, could you please send us a couple of the latest crash reports for WhatsApp that may be on your device? You can find those under iOS Settings, Privacy, Analytics, Analytics Data.

Salman Haider

So far it’s only happening on one thread for me, but it may change. I hope not, otherwise, I will pretty much have to revert to the Flicktype classic app since WhatsApp is probably the app that I use most often with Flicktype. That, and FB Messenger. Very strange behavior. And quite frustrating

On Jul 12, 2018, at 5:49 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Hi Salman and Kosta,

This issue has continued to occur to me too in recent days.
Sometimes it will crash once and then be ok, but other times a specific message thread will just continue to crash no matter how many times I try it.
It's not always the same message thread either, it's currently affecting a different one to the one being affected most often when I first reported it.

Of course it could be the case that WhatsApp has a bug with third party keyboards, as opposed to an issue with FlickType. Might be worth contacting them too.

Dave
On 12 Jul 2018, at 22:29, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Salman, could you please send us a couple of the latest crash reports for WhatsApp that may be on your device? You can find those under iOS Settings, Privacy, Analytics, Analytics Data.

Salman Haider

And agreed. Could very well be an issue with Whatsapp and third party keyboards and nothing to do with Flicktype. So far though, thankfully it hasn't happened on any other thread. Hope it stays that way. Fingers crossed.

On Jul 12, 2018, at 6:07 PM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

[...]

I've reported the issue to WhatsApp as well, they say they are looking at the log files and will investigate, but it seems it is not currently a known issue to them.
Can you also report it to them Salman?

It probably will affect other message threads I'm afraid. However it may also stop affecting the one that is currently crashing.

Dave

On 12 Jul 2018, at 23:16, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you all. From the logs, I can see that WhatsApp is going into a never-ending loop of some sorts and then crashes. The tricky part is that there is no indication about what FlickType is doing at the time, and there is also no indication that FlickType itself ever crashes so that we'd get some logs.

Can either of you, or anyone else, currently reliably reproduce the issue? If so, I could try to create a special FlickType build with some more logs turned on and send it only to you in order to help debug the issue.

- Kosta

Salman Haider

Yes, they don't seem to be aware of any issues between Whatsapp and third party keyboards. I am also wondering if this issue is VoiceOver specific? As in, a third party keyboard being used in Whatsapp, with VoiceOver enabled?
Just a thought.
Salman

On Jul 12, 2018, at 6:30 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi costa, not getting error message with whats app with build 137. But getting red screen

Yes, they don't seem to be aware of any issues between Whatsapp and third party keyboards. I am also wondering if this issue is VoiceOver specific? As in, a third party keyboard being used in Whatsapp, with VoiceOver enabled?
Just a thought.
Salman

On Jul 12, 2018, at 6:30 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

I've reported the issue to WhatsApp as well, they say they are looking at the log files and will investigate, but it seems it is not currently a known issue to them.
Can you also report it to them Salman?

It probably will affect other message threads I'm afraid. However it may also stop affecting the one that is currently crashing.

Dave
> On 12 Jul 2018, at 23:16, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:
>
> And agreed. Could very well be an issue with Whatsapp and third party keyboards and nothing to do with Flicktype. So far though, thankfully it hasn't happened on any other thread. Hope it stays that way. Fingers crossed.
>
> On Jul 12, 2018, at 6:07 PM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:
>
> So far it’s only happening on one thread for me, but it may change. I hope not, otherwise, I will pretty much have to revert to the Flicktype classic app since WhatsApp is probably the app that I use most often with Flicktype. That, and FB Messenger. Very strange behavior. And quite frustrating
>
> On Jul 12, 2018, at 5:49 PM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:
>

> Hi Salman and Kosta,
>
> This issue has continued to occur to me too in recent days.
> Sometimes it will crash once and then be ok, but other times a specific message thread will just continue to crash no matter how many times I try it.
> It's not always the same message thread either, it's currently affecting a different one to the one being affected most often when I first reported it.
>
> Of course it could be the case that WhatsApp has a bug with third party keyboards, as opposed to an issue with FlickType. Might be worth contacting them too.
>
> Dave
>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 22:29, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:
>>
>> Salman, could you please send us a couple of the latest crash reports for WhatsApp that may be on your device? You can find those under iOS Settings, Privacy, Analytics, Analytics Data.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kosta

Thank you George. Just so everyone's aware, I've send build 138 only to Salman and David to assist with the WhatsApp crash. If anyone else has experienced the WhatsApp crash, let me know and I can send you a special investigative version as well.

As I understand it, the crash happens only sometimes, and seems to be happening right as soon as you double tap to edit a conversation textfield. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's also been mentioned that the crash may be more likely in some threads but not others, although I don't know how confident we can be there's a pattern there, because I simply don't know how many times the crash has occurred in comparison which how many times it didn't and things just worked as expected. If anyone can reliably reproduce it with a particular thread, and reliably NOT reproduce it with another thread, say 6 times in a row, then that could indicate a pattern with the threads.

Finally, FlickType does not seem to be the one crashing here, so it's more difficult than usual to figure out what's going on. In case it helps anyone to figure a pattern, the WhatsApp crash log indicates that at the time of the crash, WhatsApp was repeatedly trying to change the contents or layout of its view. I'm just sharing this because it's all I got, smile.

- Kosta

Salman Haider

Hi Kosta,
You are correct. The crash happens when I double tap in the text field
to bring up the keyboard.
I have noticed something else, which I'll describe under the crash
reports thread.
Salman

On 7/12/18, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:
[...]

Macster

Hi Kosta,

Apologies for slow reply, just back from holiday. I've been experiencing the what's app crash too over the last couple of days too. I've been trying to narrow down the cause but so far it's inconsistent, though it does seem to be exclusive to my two large group threads which are by some distance the largest conversations I have. I've tried deleting FlickType from my keyboard list. And going back in to type with the iOS keyboard. This appears to bypass the crash, then I added FlickType back and one thread no longer crashed and one did, even after repeating this process with a restart of my phone in between. A difficult one to pinpoint.

Macky