Topics

Great built with some questions...

Ed Worrell

Hello Kosta,

I am really enjoying this current built. The dismiss and next keyboard buttons are a great additions.

I do have a few questions. Most of the questions are probably considered request but here we go:

1. My low vision business partner was wondering if there would be any visual aspect to the keyboard in such as letters, key shapes? He is really intrigued by the keyboard. He was asking about low vision color schemes in the future

2. I am unable to get the 3d touch or hard press to capitalize letters to work on my iPhone ten. Is there a setting vinegar that I am missing?

3. Will we have a full emoji keyboard in FlickType in the future? I know you mentioned maybe we will get the ability to customize the one in the correction menu when you swipe up.👍

4. I really love the short cut options in the main FlickType keyboard app. Will we be seeing those in the keyboard extension in the future?

5. I would like to see phonetics added to the manual input keyboard. This would help greatly on the bottom row of the keyboard.
Thanks again for the great job with rebuilding the Fleksy experience and then some.

Hi Ed,
I have been using the 3D touch for capping letters with great success, like when I typed 3D. All I do is find the letter, in this case d, and then press down. Like this, Do not lift your finger. Once the letter is announced simply press down.
I hope this helps,

Chuck

On May 27, 2018, at 9:29 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Chuck,

Yes, I use 3D Touch all the time with app short cuts on my home screen. I have not had any luck getting it too work with the FlickType keyboard. This is really odd to me. I have even restarted the phone to no avail.

On May 27, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

 That is weird. I am using an iPhone 8 and it works perfectly every time.
 What iPhone are you using?

Chuck

On May 27, 2018, at 10:14 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Working fine on my iPhone X too. Occasionally type the letter next to the one I actually intended, but otherwise fine.
 I still probably prefer the old simple swipe up gesture, but the 3D touch is good too.

 Dave

On May 27, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

[...]

Ed

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#1001) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group

_._,_.Hey chuck,

 I am using an iPhone x.

Sorry about that last email. I typed it out using FlickType and the text was there before I sent the email. Weird.

I am using an iPhone X. I however am using the iOS 11.4 beta on the device. This might be the issue.

Ed

On May 27, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,
 I thought I'd would prefer the old flick up gesture, too, but since using the 3D touch, I really like it better. Less movement.😎

Chuck

On May 27, 2018, at 10:24 AM, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

[...]

Possibly, Dave is using an iPhone 10 also, he is having good success.

 Did you say your text just vanished? I had a similar problem yesterday, with build 71.
 Be sure to report it to Kosta.

Chuck

On May 27, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the comments.

On low vision color schemes, as well as the visual appearance of the keyboard, we are planning to improve those soon, but probably not before the custom keyboard launches on the App Store.

On 3D Touch not working for you Ed, it could be the iOS beta that's causing the issue, but you can try adjusting the 3D Touch sensitivity from the Accessibility settings. Also the pressure required for this to work in FlickType may be more than you are used to - if so I might need to reduce that threshold a bit. I should also add here that 3D Touch is not a main area of focus right now, and in fact I mostly wanted to make sure that nobody accidentally triggers it when they don't intend to. The actual action may change, for example it could switch between letters and numbers or symbols, and the action might even be configurable in the future.

On full emoji support within FlickType: this is definitely planned, but might not make it before launching on the App Store. However, customizing the emoji shortcuts should be there soon, before we launch.

On the shortcut options in the main app, are you referring to number or symbol entry? We are currently assessing what we could do with an extra row above the letters, and this could be a number row, or a common symbols row, or something similar to the current app, but we want to make sure the learning curve is not as steep as what's in the main app today. This will probably be something we add post-launch. Also, it would be very helpful if you could tell us the top few use cases that you love about it as it is in the app now. And one final note on this, for email fields we will soon make the @ and period symbols available in the main layout, similar to the iOS keyboard.

Phonetics when performing manual input are coming soon.

On sometimes getting an adjacent letter entered when lifting your finger to do manual input: this was not the case before, but I had to temporarily disable the code that prevented that as it was making selecting the numbers, next keyboard, dismiss and return keys harder to select. This should be fixed soon.

On vanishing text: I am investigating this right now, and is I think the biggest problem we are currently experiencing. One thing I'd love to better assess, is how common this occurrence is. I understand that losing your text even just once can be a very poor experience, but is it currently happening enough that you'd rather use the iOS keyboard instead?

Thanks for your continued feedback, much appreciated, smile.

My text has only vanished twice, and I do a lot of typing. It is not a deal breaker for me.

Chuck

On May 27, 2018, at 11:07 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[...]

- Kosta

Sharon Kim

Hello all,
Okay the vanishing text bit... has never happened to me. Not going to lie.
I love the current build, thank you so very much for putting in the
next button. It is greatly appreciated.
One other thing, the 3d touch thing confuses me. I just sooner not
deal with it, especially if the gestures are going to be there.
I hope anyways, you wont' take out the gestures for the 3d things.
Because... no clue what those are.
anyways, hope this helps.

On 5/27/18, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta,
[...]

Ok, I've tried the 3 d touch when in the custom keyboard. I get a letter. Not  sure what  the 3 d touch is suppose to do. Got iPhone8

> [...]

>> iOS keyboard.
>>
>> Phonetics when performing manual input are coming soon.
>>
>> On sometimes getting an adjacent letter entered when lifting your finger
>> to do manual input: this was not the case before, but I had to temporarily
>> disable the code that prevented that as it was making selecting the
>> numbers, next keyboard, dismiss and return keys harder to select. This
>> should be fixed soon.
>>
>> On vanishing text: I am investigating this right now, and is I think the
>> biggest problem we are currently experiencing. One thing I'd love to
>> better assess, is how common this occurrence is. I understand that losing
>> your text even just once can be a very poor experience, but is it
>> currently happening enough that you'd rather use the iOS keyboard
>> instead?
>>
>> Thanks for your continued feedback, much appreciated, smile.

David Nason

I am also running the iOS 11.4 beta, so that is not the issue Ed.
 Chuck you may be right. The 3 D touch gesture does work well, its possibly just that I was so used to the flick up gesture that I need to rewire my brain. The flick up is very intuitive tho. Kosta, while it's worth looking into other options for 3D Touch, for example it could reveal the numbers and punctuation, the capital letter thing does make good sense too.
 Glad you're going to be able to address the issue with selecting the wrong character, this is the only real issue I'm having with this build.
 While I have seen the disappearing text before, I don't think I've seen it since build 68. That might be dumb luck though. I think when it did happen to me, it was after switching between the FlickType and the iOS keyboard. But I couldn't quite reproduce it on demand.

 Dave

On 27 May 2018, at 19:45, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> iOS keyboard.
>>
>> Phonetics when performing manual input are coming soon.
>>
>> On sometimes getting an adjacent letter entered when lifting your finger
>> to do manual input: this was not the case before, but I had to temporarily
>> disable the code that prevented that as it was making selecting the
>> numbers, next keyboard, dismiss and return keys harder to select. This
>> should be fixed soon.
>>
>> On vanishing text: I am investigating this right now, and is I think the
>> biggest problem we are currently experiencing. One thing I'd love to
>> better assess, is how common this occurrence is. I understand that losing
>> your text even just once can be a very poor experience, but is it
>> currently happening enough that you'd rather use the iOS keyboard
>> instead?
>>
>> Thanks for your continued feedback, much appreciated, smile.

Chuck Dean

Hi George,

 The 3D touch should capitalize the letter.

Chuck

On May 27, 2018, at 11:45 AM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> iOS keyboard.
>>
>> Phonetics when performing manual input are coming soon.
>>
>> On sometimes getting an adjacent letter entered when lifting your finger
>> to do manual input: this was not the case before, but I had to temporarily
>> disable the code that prevented that as it was making selecting the
>> numbers, next keyboard, dismiss and return keys harder to select. This
>> should be fixed soon.
>>
>> On vanishing text: I am investigating this right now, and is I think the
>> biggest problem we are currently experiencing. One thing I'd love to
>> better assess, is how common this occurrence is. I understand that losing
>> your text even just once can be a very poor experience, but is it
>> currently happening enough that you'd rather use the iOS keyboard
>> instead?
>>
>> Thanks for your continued feedback, much appreciated, smile.

Paul Sutton

Hi all,
 How would people feel about having the 2 finger swipe up to add a word to the dictionary and a 2 finger swipe down to remove.
 Just a thought, Paul.

On 27 May 2018, at 20:25, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> iOS keyboard.
>>
>> Phonetics when performing manual input are coming soon.
>>
>> On sometimes getting an adjacent letter entered when lifting your finger
>> to do manual input: this was not the case before, but I had to temporarily
>> disable the code that prevented that as it was making selecting the
>> numbers, next keyboard, dismiss and return keys harder to select. This
>> should be fixed soon.
>>
>> On vanishing text: I am investigating this right now, and is I think the
>> biggest problem we are currently experiencing. One thing I'd love to
>> better assess, is how common this occurrence is. I understand that losing
>> your text even just once can be a very poor experience, but is it
>> currently happening enough that you'd rather use the iOS keyboard
>> instead?
>>
>> Thanks for your continued feedback, much appreciated, smile.

Chuck Dean

Hi Paul,
 Personally, I like how it is done in the app. A flick up to enter or delete a word. Simple and elegant.

Chuck

On May 27, 2018, at 12:28 PM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> iOS keyboard.
>>
>> Phonetics when performing manual input are coming soon.
>>
>> On sometimes getting an adjacent letter entered when lifting your finger
>> to do manual input: this was not the case before, but I had to temporarily
>> disable the code that prevented that as it was making selecting the
>> numbers, next keyboard, dismiss and return keys harder to select. This
>> should be fixed soon.
>>
>> On vanishing text: I am investigating this right now, and is I think the
>> biggest problem we are currently experiencing. One thing I'd love to
>> better assess, is how common this occurrence is. I understand that losing
>> your text even just once can be a very poor experience, but is it
>> currently happening enough that you'd rather use the iOS keyboard
>> instead?
>>
>> Thanks for your continued feedback, much appreciated, smile.

Ed Worrell

Hey Kosta,

I just decreased the level of pressure for 3D touch from firm to medium. The gesture works as expected now. That's great! I love this feature.😎

My business partner will be happy to hear that low vision options are on the road map.

As always great job.👍

Ed

On May 27, 2018, at 12:07 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[...]

As a low vision user, I find I do very little eye balling while using the FlickType keyboard.
Perhaps, if your co-worker would practice with the current version, the need for low vision schemes may become moot.

Chuck

On May 27, 2018, at 2:02 PM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

While typing that last reply, my text vanished. I had typed my reply, and dismissed the keyboard to send, but realized I wanted to edit my text. I did a double tap to invoke the custom keyboard, and then did a two finger swipe left to find the cursor. It said beginning of document. So I did a two finger swipe right to move the cursor, it said, end of document. I went to the iOS keyboard, and all that I typed was gone.