From: Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...>
Date: 18 May 2018 at 08:23:07 BST
To: "alpha@flicktype.groups.io" <alpha@flicktype.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 67

Hi, well done. This seems very stable at the moment. I can't find any problems at the moment. One suggestion that I have would be too maybe allow for another tap on the shift key to enable caps loch.
Once again, well done for this new release.
Regards, Paul.

On 18 May 2018, at 07:03, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

This is the very first, and still quite experimental, version of the manual typing functionality. The approach we are taking is to start from the basics, and expand as we go. As a first step, we simply bring the Touch Typing style of the regular iOS keyboard right within FlickType, and make it fast and easy to toggle between Flick Typing and Touch Typing using the magic tap gesture. If you are not familiar, a magic tap is a double tap with two fingers, and is used to perform the so-called "most-intended" action, regardless of what element the VoiceOver cursor is currently focused on.

Notes:
- You cannot yet use any flick gestures when Touch Typing, but you will be able to in the future.
- You can now enter a new line with the Return key, just like with the iOS keyboard. When you go back to Flick Typing, new lines will currently not be announced when moving the cursor.
- The voice feedback for entered characters does not have a different pitch.
- You can only switch to the iOS keyboard when Flick Typing.

As you can tell, this is very different from the way manual input works in the main app. We're doing this for a couple of reasons: One is to make it easier for new users to fall back to a familiar typing style when needed. Two, manually typing longer words should be easier and faster this way. We might not be there yet, but this is the reasoning behind the approach.

George Cham

I don't understand how the touch typing works in this new release. I did the magic tap, started typing, but the letters  did not come out the way I wanted. Can someone explain how to use the touch typing feature?

[...]

Paul Sutton

Hi George, when in touch typing mode, drag your finger over the keyboard until you here the letter you want and then lift your finger.
Regards, Paul

On 18 May 2018, at 08:57, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

[...]

ok got it, but how do I add a. At the end of a sentence and punctuations?

[...]

Wow! I’m typing  a lot faster. I’d like The ability  to add punctuation while  touch typing within the system wide    keyboard

[...]

Macster

Wow, great job Kosta! The manual keyboard works a treat. Its crisp and changing between the flick keyboard and manual mode is very responsive too. I said the manual keyboard will tip the scales for me using the custom version more than the app and that has already been the case this morning since installation. Its now only a matter of time before I delete the standard keyboard from my active list.

I've only found a couple of drawbacks so far...

1 - if there is a word in my dictionary that sometimes needs a capital and sometimes does not, ie mark and my nephew's name Mark, there isn't a way to capitalize the M using the flick keyboard at the moment, so I have to type it manually. Is there a way around this?

2 - The first time I used the shift key, the letters didn't say cap before entry but they do now. Not sure what happened on the maiden voyage. The shift key itself however announces the state of what the next press will be, instead of what the press that has just occurred has done. It works perfectly, but maybe the announcement could be reversed?

3 - This isn't a bug as such, but I have the echo effect set to off in the app but the echo is present in the manual keyboard.. Could this be connected so the echo can be turned off?

The punctuation is fantastic and is in the same layout as the standard keyboard so no problems finding anything, and I think the manual keyboard is more responsive than the standard one already so good job!

I know you said this is the early stages but it's already very useable. Thank you.

Macky

On 18 May 2018, at 07:03, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[...]

Hi George,

Punctuation is now available. If you use the two finger double tap to enter touch typing mode, the more button is at the bottom left and will allow access to all the punctuation in the same layout as the standard keyboard. Its very responsive and works well. Macky

On 18 May 2018, at 09:39, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

[...]

Benny Barber

The upper and lower case setting is very confusing to me. Maybe it is me, but I don't know if I am typing in upper or lower case. If possible the echo needs to mirror the iOS echo. Thanks.

Benny

On May 18, 2018, at 1:03 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[...]

Chuck Dean

Build 67
Hi, is there a way to enter words into the dictionary?
Also, or is there a gesture to insert a new line or do I have to go to the touch type keyboard?

Chuck

Benny Barber

Also, can we have word echo after a space? Thanks.

[...]

Sharon Kim

Okay so as of now, I'm a total fan of this newest update.
It makes it so much easier to manually type in a word, much easier
than switching between keyboards and all that.
I love it!!! yes, word echo after hitting space would indeed help, but
I'm sure there will be more changes to come. so far though, I just
have to say brilliant!!! Okay sorry for the raving, I'm done.

On 5/18/18, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I have been playing with the new manual input, number and symbol entry, and with a few differences? I don't see much advantage with this system over just switching to the iOS keyboard.

The magic tap works very well, and the ability to flick right and left if I accidentally enter a wrong letter is nice, but I still need to go to the iOS keyboard to switch text fields and to send this email.
I understand this is the first incarnation of this feature, and I'm sure it will be improved in future builds, but at this thyme, at least for emails, I still prefer to use the app.

I typed this email with both the custom keyboard and the app, I was much faster with the app, and I could review what I had written with the raise to speak feature.

I also realize I am in the minority with my opinion but dealing with only the app seems more stream line than using three keyboards.

Build 67
Hi again,
The two things I really miss with the custom keyboard is the ability to capitalize letters and input lines with a simple gesture.
As I type this in the app, everything is only a simple gesture away.
The custom keyboard is fantastic for entering short amounts of text, and responding to messages and emails, but more than that, I revert to the app.

I really feel that this is a very big step backwards from the original keyboard app. The two finger double tap works as described, but it honestly feels like you are trying to reinvent the wheel here. I really am not sure why you simply can’t make the behavior mirror the FlickType app. This style of typing seems like there is way to many steps to manually insert a word. I really am not a fan of this method. The others are correct in it is snappy between keyboards: the gesture keyboard works, manual keyboard works, and the symbols keyboard works. I really wish it was more like the FlickType stand alone application as far as the functionality is concerned.

Ed

On May 18, 2018, at 1:03 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

[...]

David Nason

I don't like to be negative and I fully understand that this is the first build with manual entry, but as of right now I'm with Ed and Chuck, in not being particularly a fan of the approach.
I don't see any real advantage to switching the mode with the magic tap versus just switching to the standard iOS keyboard. And in fact, I can do the latter with a one finger gesture. I much prefer the approach of the main app, with it all integrated into one. And perhaps that is the long term plan.
Regarding the manual entry itself, I have also been confused by how the shift key works, or announces itself.

Dave

On 18 May 2018, at 18:10, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree that having the symbols, numbers etc on the top row in the app is my preferred solution. This is probably partly down to pure habit though. I think using the two finger double tap is much better than going back to the standard keyboard for manual entry. Its quicker and feels more crisp. The problem I had before I took out the emoji keyboard was that the next keyboard button wasn't in the same place on that, it was slightly more to the left. But as an early first version, this works well I think, even if it wasn't the familiar layout I was expecting. I'm sure Kosta will be adding and amending it as we go on so I'm trying to look past my habits. My only gripe is the keyboard echo which drives me up the wall but I'm sure that's a relatively easy fix! A good weekend to one and all. Macky

[...]

Hi all, to be honest I don't mind performing a magic tap to perform manual entry. For he it's just like flicking to the iOS keyboard but only more easy. Of course it would be quicker to have manual entry on the FlickType screen but I wouldn't mind if that wasn't possible.

On 18 May 2018, at 18:50, Macster <@Macster> wrote:

[...]

Chanelle Allen

Hello Kosta, Ashley, and Group,
this is an excellent FlickType build! I like the magic tap gesture for switching between flick and touch typing; it was a brilliant idea, and tapping twice with two fingers is so easy and familiar. Here are my thoughts (the only message I have read thus far is Kosta's).
If possible, at some point later in the future after other plans/features have been implemented, I would like the ability to disable echoing of entered characters while touch typing. This is more of a nit picky request, but hopefully, my FlickType keyboard experience will be as similar to my iOS VoiceOver touch typing settings as reasonably possible. I have VoiceOver typing feedback set to words. There are some people on this list who prefer typing feedback set to characters, so a customizable setting would be useful.
I have noticed that my text replacements do not work when using FlickType touch typing. I assume that this problem will be addressed soon if you are not already aware of it.
Thank you again for developing another great FlickType release.
Chanelle

On May 18, 2018, at 01:03, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[...]

Ed Worrell

Hello All,

I am really not a fan of the current build. I think that the manual typing feature should be implemented in to the main typing methodology, but I understand that you have to start somewhere. The two step process to manually insert works/characters seems a little like a waste of time to me. I kind of like the two finger double tap to switch to symbols/numbers and potentially emojis in the future. As I said in a previous email it just seems like a small step backwards in progress.

Ed Worrell