Topics

Custom keyboard versus main app #poll

We know there are still severe limitations with the custom keyboard, but we'd like to better understand exactly how useful it is for you in its current state.

So the burning question is: which do you use more, the custom keyboard or the main app?

Results

See Who Responded

Chuck Dean

Depends on what I’m using for. If I’m writing something short and quick, I use the custom keyboard. If I need to write something long, that’s going to half words that are not in the dictionary, numbers etc. I use the app. Right now, I’m using dictation. Go figure!

Chuck

On May 10, 2018, at 2:04 PM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

We know there are still severe limitations with the custom keyboard, but we'd like to better understand exactly how useful it is for you in its current state.

So the burning question is: which do you use more, the custom keyboard or the main app?

1. The custom keyboard
2. The main app
3. About the same

Vote Now

Michael Maslo

I just responded to the poll. My hope is when the custom keyboard is released that the application is removed. I see no use of having both around. The custom keyboard once complete will dominate use and I see no purpose of it. I use the custom keyboard ninety nine percent of the time and the other one percent I use the apple keyboard. I do not and have never have used the main application since the custom keyboard was released. In my opinion also it is harder to maintain two applications when only one is needed. This is my personal opinion bind you.

Sincerely,, mike

On May 10, 2018 at 16:04, <FlickType> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

We know there are still severe limitations with the custom keyboard, but we'd like to better understand exactly how useful it is for you in its current state.

So the burning question is: which do you use more, the custom keyboard or the main app?

1. The custom keyboard
2. The main app
3. About the same

Vote Now

Chuck Dean

I respectfully disagree. I restore antique micro cars; and I have many different types of wrenches that will do the same job. However you can never have too many tools, and you never know when you might need that weird one.

Chuck

On May 10, 2018, at 4:52 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

[...]

Chuck, that is why we both are different. I did not understand though your comparison between wrench and a keyboard. I agree that multiple tools may do the same thing but when it is directly the same application I do not see the purpose. As said, right now it is not ready for it to be a stand alone now, when the rest of the featured are implemented, meaning it has the ability to do manual input, number input, new lines, etc., I do not see the purpose of two keyboards from the same developer doing the exact same thing. Again chuck, I respect what you are saying and your opinions and like my mom said, people sometimes agree to disagree. This is one of those situations. Take care.

Sincerely,, mike

On May 10, 2018 at 18:59, <Chuck Dean> wrote:

[...]

Hi Michael,
Once the custom keyboard is fully featured, the standalone app will still be necessary to make adjustments. Such as volumes of the taps, tap sounds, and exporting the dictionary.
Also, costa promised us that he would never get rid of the standalone app. Some of us who grew up on fleksy VO, really love that app, and I want to make sure that it’s back there in my toolbox, with all my weird wrenches, in case I need it. 😎

Chuck

On May 10, 2018, at 5:07 PM, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike,

If by stating that you hope the main app is removed when the custom keyboard is released you mean removed completely from the Apps Store, that seems sort of a selfish viewpoint. Just because you won't be using the main app doesn't mean others won't be. But maybe the main app and custom keyboard will be split into two separate apps and you'll be able to remove it from your own device.

Alan Lemly

[...]

Hi Allen,
I doubt that. When the fleksy keyboard was made to go system wide, they still required a app to do updates and it any kind of add-ons that may have been for sale as in app purchases.
Best thing to do is just make a folder and stick it in there and hide it someplace. I have a folder on my iPhone that I called junk drawer, it’s a bunch apps that I have on my phone that I might use some day, probably won’t, but I can just stick them all in there and not worry about them.

Chuck

On May 10, 2018, at 9:57 PM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, maybe they won't be able to split it but I say whatever. How inconvenient is it really to have the main app installed even if someone doesn't intend to use it? It's not as if it will get in the way of the custom keyboard which will be accessed from a text input area like all other software keyboards. And I can't imagine that the main app uses much memory to be installed.

Alan Lemly

[...]

I totally agree with you.

Chuck

On May 10, 2018, at 10:19 PM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

[...]

Macster

I think I use the main app more than the custom version at the moment simply due to being able to enter necessary punctuation, numbers and especially manual typing. The custom keyboard is coming on nicely though and I predict once those features are available then the scales will tip towards the custom keyboard. Macky

Salman Haider

I totally agree with Alan as well.

--
Muhammad Salman Haider
(765) 586-6840

David Nason

Honestly I could count on one hand the number of times I've used the main app since the custom keyboard cane along. Its just so convenient.
I would only use the main app now if writing something fairly long, where I know I will need to enter some words manually, or enter numbers. Once the custom keyboard is fully featured, I can't imagine ever using the main app.
That said, everyone is different so I am sure it makes sense to keep both around, plus that is likely part of the business model being envisaged.

Dave

On 11 May 2018, at 15:46, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

[...]

Nozi <noziphokhanda@...>

I can't see myself using the main app much when  we are able to enter letters manually and numbers. Costa and Ashley, you guys have done an amazing job with the custom keyboard so far in such a short time. I'm using it to write this post.

Michael Maslo

Hello, since the custom keyboard was released, I never had used the main application. If I need to put a symbol or such in, I switch on the apple keyboard and then switch back. It is faster and easier to do that. I guess I am one of the few who never uses the main application.

Sincerely,, mike

On May 11, 2018 at 13:04, <Nozi> wrote:

I can't see myself using the main app much when  we are able to enter letters manually and numbers. Costa and Ashley, you guys have done an amazing job with the custom keyboard so far in such a short time. I'm using it to write this post.

Michael Maslo

It is not whether it is hard or easy. It is the ability to maintain the program or update it. I am no programmer but I would think that the more lined of code adds to the complexity.

Sincerely,, mike

--
Muhammad Salman Haider
(765) 586-6840

Chanelle Allen

Hello,
Like mike, I find it easy to switch between the FlickType and iOS keyboards when entering symbols, new lines, and non dictionary words. The FlickType app is still needed for adding words to the custom dictionary, adjusting tap settings, and periodically exporting my dictionary. I am making myself use the FlickType keyboard to improve my typing and interacting with text fields. With more practice and deliberate incorporation into writing tasks, the more proficient I will become and the more prepared to use the FlickType keyboard exclusively when we have manual entry and the ability to add words to the custom dictionary. When the sound and latency were bothersome, I preferred typing in the FlickType app; since Tuesday, I am a FlickType keyboard convert. :) I will probably always be a more proficient braille screen input typist, but only the FlickType keyboard provides the most convenient and efficient means of writing a short, one- sentence response to an email using one hand while eating dinner. And, responding to that email was super easy since I could just switch to my preferred (FlickType) keyboard rather than opening another app and copying/pasting text. 😀 for me, the most cumbersome part of writing on the iPhone is the editing process— probably since I am such a perfectionist. Could a third party keyboard speed up editing tasks such as inserting, deleting, and rearranging text? Its something to think about. I don't expect FlickType or any third party keyboard to speed up my tired brain that is taking a long time to write this email. ☺️
Chanelle
Chanelle